Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton Homeless??

King Colt

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

No teams are jumping on Newton. Any guesses as  to why?

Well...    the first guess is...   his health.    He recently has had an operation on his throwing shoulder.    And then this past season,  I think it was an ankle.

With the nationwide health alert,  it's hard to get him checked.

The other, is cultural fit with Belichick.    Not everyone is cut out to fit in his system.   Though I have heard that BB has spoken highly of him.

Perhaps it's also....   $$$?

Honestly?  This probably has something to do with it. 

source.gif

You don't make business decisions in the Superbowl when the game is on the line. 

Add to that injuries and regression.

He will find a team but I doubt many teams would consider him their first choice.  

He's also wildly inconsistent maturity wise or at least that's my impression of him.  It seems like one day he will be a great leader, the kind of leader every coach wants in a QB.  And then the next moment he does something stunningly immature.  

Kind of feels like day to day you don't know what Cam you are going to get.  You know he has it in him to be a great leader.  But the immature part of him just doesn't seem to want to go away. 

I think the age and injuries are wildly overstated on this forum unless you also wouldn't agree to take Luck back.

Cam is the same age as Luck and hes basically the exact same size.

Both have lost multiple games/seasons to injury BUT...

Cam has played in a SB and won an MVP. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

I think the age and injuries are wildly overstated on this forum unless you also wouldn't agree to take Luck back.

I agree.  I think he's better than his reputation, especially on here.  A healthy Cam utilized properly by coaches is still a dangerous weapon, in my opinion.  I think teams are just waiting for the dust to settle, so to speak.  The first dominoes have fallen (Rivers, Brady, Brees, etc.), so now it's time for teams to re-organize their priorities and time for that second tier of QBs to find a home, like Dalton, Cam, and Jameis.  Another factor as to why he doesn't have a team yet is probably because there are so many available options and not that many jobs.

4 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Point of order.  Cam relies on his legs and his rushing threat far more than Luck does.  Age and injuries sap that long before they sap the ability to be a good pocket passer.

You could make Luck significantly less mobile and he's still a strong player.  Cam isn't cam without being able to run the ball.  

Don't get me wrong.  Cam will find a team, but these are significant reasons why teams where more interested in picking up Rivers and Brady than they where in Cam.  

31 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Point of order.  Cam relies on his legs and his rushing threat far more than Luck does.  Age and injuries sap that long before they sap the ability to be a good pocket passer.

You could make Luck significantly less mobile and he's still a strong player.  Cam isn't cam without being able to run the ball.  

Don't get me wrong.  Cam will find a team, but these are significant reasons why teams where more interested in picking up Rivers and Brady than they where in Cam.  

Rivers and Brady were free agents.   Cam isn't,   not yet anyway

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

He wasn't getting that fumble don't know why people think he would have

That’s laughable. I think that’s Ware that just reaches out with his left arm. 67 in black knocks the ball away from Ware. You’re telling me big strong Cam Newton who is standing over a loose ball can’t dive and get the ball? Lmaooo 

21 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

That’s laughable. I think that’s Ware that just reaches out with his left arm. 67 in black knocks the ball away from Ware. You’re telling me big strong Cam Newton who is standing over a loose ball can’t dive and get the ball? Lmaooo 

Thats what I'm telling you he wasn't getting that.  Big strong cam is too tall to dive on that fumble and control it that easily

3 hours ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

Im sure you would have dove in there.   We're not all as brave 

They couldn't get a trade accomplished with the Bears or Chargers, so they released him.

Now, the Chargers can sign him to a show me 1 yr. deal. With Cam Newton and Jameis Winston still looking for new homes, I'd venture to say Patriots or Saints may take a flier on one of those.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:16 PM, aaron11 said:

Thats what I'm telling you he wasn't getting that.  Big strong cam is too tall to dive on that fumble and control it that easily

It's not about whether he could have recovered that fumble - it's that he didn't even try!  He should have dove for the ball and then whatever happens, happens.  But when you don't even try when the game is on the line - will that is pretty lame.

Also - it appears he has now been cut.

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

It's not about whether he could have recovered that fumble - it's that he didn't even try!  He should have dove for the ball and then whatever happens, happens.  But when you don't even try when the game is on the line - will that is pretty lame.

Also - it appears he has now been cut.

I think you have to protect your MVP QB, I would not have been mad if luck or Peyton did that.  Probably would have missed the risk reward wasn't good

Just now, aaron11 said:

I think you have to protect your MVP QB, I would not have been mad if luck or Peyton did that.  Probably would have missed the risk reward wasn't good

We are all entitled to our opinions - but if my QB doesn't dive for that I am mad.  And as far as "you have to protect your MVP QB", you do that by the quality of your o-line and the play calls and such - but this was Cam "protecting" himself.  Totally different thing.  His team needed him to dive on that ball to try and give them a chance to win a Superbowl and he "protected" himself.  It says a lot.

13 minutes ago, gspdx said:

We are all entitled to our opinions - but if my QB doesn't dive for that I am mad.  And as far as "you have to protect your MVP QB", you do that by the quality of your o-line and the play calls and such - but this was Cam "protecting" himself.  Totally different thing.  His team needed him to dive on that ball to try and give them a chance to win a Superbowl and he "protected" himself.  It says a lot.

The people that wanted him to dive for that are probably the same ones that would not want him since he's hurt a lot

He's already going to have a short career for an MVP qb

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

The people that wanted him to dive for that are probably the same ones that would not want him since he's hurt a lot

He's already going to have a short career for an MVP qb

I wouldn't want him because he didn't dive for that ball.  And I am not speaking for anyone else. Neither should you.  You don't know what other people think.   

I wouldn't be surprised if sports history lumps Luck and Cam together based on being drafted a year a part the longevity/career span and both being #1 picks who had shoulder issues ect. 

It's not all similar, clearly Cam being released is a bigger downgrade in perception of ability than Luck ever faced, but it's almost as weird as Luck hanging it up. 

5 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I wouldn't want him because he didn't dive for that ball.  And I am not speaking for anyone else. Neither should you.  You don't know what other people think.   

Just going by what I read. People trash talk him him constantly for being hurt among other things

On 3/24/2020 at 4:27 PM, The Fish said:

I wouldn't be surprised if sports history lumps Luck and Cam together based on being drafted a year a part the longevity/career span and both being #1 picks who had shoulder issues ect. 

It's not all similar, clearly Cam being released is a bigger downgrade in perception of ability than Luck ever faced, but it's almost as weird as Luck hanging it up. 

Cam won an MVP and went to a Superbowl

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Cam won an MVP and went to a Superbowl

That's a part of why it's comparably strange as the Luck situation/story. What's more is that Luck would have a some suitors if he wanted to play this season, Cam might not given that he's not perceived to want to be a backup, he's played in a SB and won a MVP..

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's a part of why it's comparably strange as the Luck situation/story. What's more is that Luck would have a some suitors if he wanted to play this season, Cam might not given that he's not perceived to want to be a backup, he's played in a SB and won a MVP..

Im sure teams want to know the status of the shoulder.   Luck's shoulder was good in 2018.  Teams wouldn't have been nearly as worried

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Im sure teams want to know the status of the shoulder.   Luck's shoulder was good in 2018.  Teams wouldn't have been nearly as worried

By the eye test Luck was better than Cam IMO but Cam accomplished more because he won an MVP and played in a SB. Luck was a better pocket passer and carried some bad teams to 11-5 records.

Cam is a better version of a Vick and Steve Young. once injuries started happening, it took from his game. Highly mobile QBs usually have shorter careers in the NFL. Just the nature of the beast. Cam will likely sign somewhere eventually, but it may be in a back up role.

Archived