Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A "Massive" Idea

I was going through scouting today, looking at names and watching some tape, and I had a crazy idea. We just traded for Deforest Buckner, a massive DT who puts fear into the opposing offense. He is coming in to fill our void at 3-tech, but we still have a need at the 1-tech, a guy who can stuff the run as well as anyone while also capable of generating some pressure. One name came to me:

Raekwon Davis

Just imagine it, two 6'7", 300+ lb monsters staring down the QB on every single possession at the line. Though underdeveloped as a pass rusher, Davis is a dominant force in the ground game and has the tools to generate pressure when asked. He should be available with one of our second round picks, and would solidify our front for the foreseeable future. 

Just think about how terrified the opposing O-line would be when these two freaks of nature lined up next to each other on the field. I'm salivating just with the thought of it...

What say you, Colts Nation??? Would you like to pair these towering monsters together?? Or is it a no go??

43 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I was going through scouting today, looking at names and watching some tape, and I had a crazy idea. We just traded for Deforest Buckner, a massive DT who puts fear into the opposing offense. He is coming in to fill our void at 3-tech, but we still have a need at the 1-tech, a guy who can stuff the run as well as anyone while also capable of generating some pressure. One name came to me:

Raekwon Davis

Just imagine it, two 6'7", 300+ lb monsters staring down the QB on every single possession at the line. Though underdeveloped as a pass rusher, Davis is a dominant force in the ground game and has the tools to generate pressure when asked. He should be available with one of our second round picks, and would solidify our front for the foreseeable future. 

Just think about how terrified the opposing O-line would be when these two freaks of nature lined up next to each other on the field. I'm salivating just with the thought of it...

What say you, Colts Nation??? Would you like to pair these towering monsters together?? Or is it a no go??

And yet he is not good against the run correct? And Buckner graded just above average. The height Problem for leverage?
So NO.

58 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Raekwon Davis

Stewart is our 1-tech. For depth, I like Rashard Lawrence of LSU for our 4-3 NT, should be there in Round 4.

I think the quality of this draft works against Davis.  If you're sitting there at 44 and considering him over some of the players who will be in that group it's hard to choose him.  It will surprise me if he doesn't fall quite a bit, maybe to end of round 2.

But I like his measurables too.  They'll keep him from falling too far.

49 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

And yet he is not good against the run correct? And Buckner graded just above average. The height Problem for leverage?
So NO.

On the contrary, Davis is a beast against the run. His huge wingspan helps him to plug up gaps, and his hands are very strong when he does get a hold on the runner. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Damon Snacks Harrison is still available. If he is there after week 1 of free agency, see if we can get him on a 1 or 2 yr. deal. 

Snacks and Buckner would be great.

For prospects, I like Davon Hamilton out of Ohio State too.... I mocked him to us in Round 4.

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

For prospects, I like Davon Hamilton out of Ohio State too.... I mocked him to us in Round 4.

I've mocked Hamilton to a us a few times too. He's insane in the run game and add some solid pass rush ability as he develops.

I also like Benito Jones for that 1T role. Dude is a fire hydrant and a great run defender, but not much pass rush ability.

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Absolutely  not. Iur track record  with ohio state players  and injuries  is bad

7 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Raekwon Davis

Pass we still have Grover Stewart and Denico Autry. Those second round picks IMO need to go to a WR and CB.

The thought of another 6'6 DT is intriguing but there is a reason why Raekwon Davis is a projected day 2 pick instead of day 1.

He is a senior, played for a top program in the top conference, has all of the measurable you could want. 

However, as already brought up in this thread, there are maturity/work ethic concerns.

I'm not going to say that measurable don't matter because they certainly do. I wouldn't allow the unusual measurable of Raekwon to make me ignore his flaws though. Lots of good defensive line prospects in this draft. Might not be as big as Raekwon but they are big enough and likely better prospects.

13 hours ago, ar7 said:

The thought of another 6'6 DT is intriguing but there is a reason why Raekwon Davis is a projected day 2 pick instead of day 1.

He is a senior, played for a top program in the top conference, has all of the measurable you could want. 

However, as already brought up in this thread, there are maturity/work ethic concerns.

I'm not going to say that measurable don't matter because they certainly do. I wouldn't allow the unusual measurable of Raekwon to make me ignore his flaws though. Lots of good defensive line prospects in this draft. Might not be as big as Raekwon but they are big enough and likely better prospects.

I don't understand, the team should only draft projected 1st rounders in all rounds?

Of course there is a reason why he is projected as a day 2 pick but that is where the OP is suggesting the Colts pick him.  If he was a project first round pick then nobody would be talking about picking him up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

13 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Suh is available too I believe

I agree. Look at the year AD had with the rams when Suh was there. TB was a top Rush D with Suh. Nice short term move. We could get him with the money we save by cutting JB maybe.

I can't see the appeal of Stewart as anything other than a rotational or injury backup.  He may have stood out as the best player on the interior dline, but that simply speaks to how bad the other players are, IMO.  Ballard targeted the dline for comments, and IIRC, he never singled out any player for being particularly bad....or good...in even a subtle way.  He would never throw anybody under the bus, but I don't recall him ever mentioning a DT in any press conference when he was talking about positives on the team.

Raekwon Davis would be an upgrade to our current 1T, IMO, and should be considered wherever value that would be.  We need him as much as any team does, so if he grades out at pick 44, that should be a good value pick for us as much as any team.

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't understand, the team should only draft projected 1st rounders in all rounds?

Of course there is a reason why he is projected as a day 2 pick but that is where the OP is suggesting the Colts pick him.  If he was a project first round pick then nobody would be talking about picking him up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

If a player's work ethic/character prevents the Colts from wanting to draft them in the first round then it's unlikely they draft them later on. Ballard has said something along these lines in the past.

Guys with maturity/character concerns still go in the first round. Yet, Davis isn't projected as a first round pick despite his background (playing in the SEC, at Alabama) and measurable. 

Archived