Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Option for WR

WR Options  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Colts to acquire at WR?

• Funchess
    • Nelson Agholor
    • Breshad Perriman
    • Robby Anderson
    • Brandon Aiyuk
    • Michael Pittman Jr.
    • Laviska Shenault Jr.
    • Jalen Reagor
    • Denzel Mims
    • Trade for Brandin Cooks
    • Other; Comment

2 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Why convert him?  Why can't he learn and play both positions?  I'm not an expert on the position by any means, So this is an honest question

Convert him so he has a clear definition of his job. Funchess/Perriman is the X while Claypool would create BIGGER mismatches as a move TE against linebackers, safeties and the occasional CB.

Claypool is a beast 6' 4" 230lbs. 66 receptions, 1,037yds, and 13td's. Could possibly even get him in the 3rd round. Take CB Trevon Diggs at #34 and WR Denzel Mims at #44. If you can get Mims at #44 then you can pass on Claypool at #75 you can try and get a QB like Jalen Hurts or Anthony Gordon.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:17 PM, WarGhost21 said:

I really want Claypool in the late 2nd/early 3rd. I think he is special. 

Take this, for example. Pre-combine, he was projected as a 5th round pick. On most reports I saw, as well as my own, it said that he was a very talented player, with his only question being speed. A few sources even said that if he ran well at the combine, he had the talent to be a late 1st round player.

And what happened next? He blew up the combine, not just in one drill but in everything. He looked good in field drills as well. And now he's bumped all the way to 2/3 range in the draft, when sources said he has 1st round talent.

To me, for a guy who killed the combine the way he did, he is still underrated.

I watched some highlights on him, and they were comparing him to Megatron... 

I would be happy with Kmet and Claypool in round 2

But..... OL depth is weak...

In general I'm against drafting for fit since we don't yet have the long-term future QB for this team, but if we want a WR that fits best with what Rivers does, just look at his highlights and game tape from last several years - he was throwing a ton of 50-50 balls against the defender's leverage towards Mike Williams. Right now we don't have a WR who can make those catches against contests from defenders. The type is - big bodied receiver with good body control, good ball skills and can catch contested balls. The receivers that might fall to the second round that fit that mold are Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr., Denzel Mims... and later Collin Johnson, Chase Claypool, Isaiah Hodgins, Gandy-Golden... 

I actually want to see how Fountain does with a QB like Rivers who is not shy to throw it up for grabs. 

We clearly need an upgrade. The forum is all over the place with opinions preferring a FA over a rookie draftee. 

I am of the camp that we need a Vet FA AND a couple draftees. Personally, I would rather see Robby Anderson than Funch. With Funch, I get a fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me mentality... Bring in Robby Anderson AND draft for the future. 

I still love Paris, and I think a few smaller moves can get the gears in motion. Let’s get it!

11 hours ago, stitches said:

In general I'm against drafting for fit since we don't yet have the long-term future QB for this team, but if we want a WR that fits best with what Rivers does, just look at his highlights and game tape from last several years - he was throwing a ton of 50-50 balls against the defender's leverage towards Mike Williams. Right now we don't have a WR who can make those catches against contests from defenders. The type is - big bodied receiver with good body control, good ball skills and can catch contested balls. The receivers that might fall to the second round that fit that mold are Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr., Denzel Mims... and later Collin Johnson, Chase Claypool, Isaiah Hodgins, Gandy-Golden... 

I actually want to see how Fountain does with a QB like Rivers who is not shy to throw it up for grabs. 

Rivers has always used his tight ends more than most QBs. 

He made Antonio Gates one of the best TEs ever to play the game. He also made Hunter Henry good enough to get franchised. 

I hope the Colts can take Kmet in this years draft. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He made Antonio Gates one of the best TEs ever to play the game. He also made Hunter Henry good enough to get franchised. 

Only about 15% of yards over the past 2 seasons though. He's been a lot more WR heavy, and even thrown more to RBs than TEs. Hines could be in for a huge increase, and wouldn't surprise me to see Mack more involved.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Only about 15% of yards over the past 2 seasons though. He's been a lot more WR heavy, and even thrown more to RBs than TEs. Hines could be in for a huge increase, and wouldn't surprise me to see Mack more involved.

That could have been the result of being under pressure with his O-line being trash? 

I can only hope Hines is in for a huge increase. He is pretty good in the open field. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you look at the receivers he has favored and had success with they all were big bodied possession wrs or TE like. He throws better high. Watch his tape, he rarely hits guys in stride. I think Phillip can do good here in Indy but he needs some big toys to be successful...

First post. Hello all. Happy to be here. As a bit of background, we lived in Athens, AL while Philip was in high school there. We now live in the Memphis area. I've seen Philip play since high school, including every one of his NFL games (televised, of course). Now I couldn't be more thrilled, to FINALLY see him get a first chance to play for a "real" NFL franchise. It should be fun to see what he can do when his every effort isn't being sabotaged by one Mickey Mouse move after another.

As to the thread, which really intrigues me, the free agent I'd like to see is either Demarcus Robinson or Breshaud Perriman, both of whom I think are about to play their best football, and the rookie I'd most like to see them draft is Justin Jefferson, although he may require a trade up to get him.

Archived