Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Options  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Colts to acquire at WR?

• Funchess
    • Nelson Agholor
    • Breshad Perriman
    • Robby Anderson
    • Brandon Aiyuk
    • Michael Pittman Jr.
    • Laviska Shenault Jr.
    • Jalen Reagor
    • Denzel Mims
    • Trade for Brandin Cooks
    • Other; Comment

I want to see the Colts sign a veteran AND draft one or two receivers. (at least one being in round 2)

For the veteran receiver I lean towards bringing back Funchess if he is healthy. I don't have a preference on who to draft at receiver. There is so much talent at that position in this draft and I'm confident some good options will be there in the second round.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I want to see the Colts sign a veteran AND draft one or two receivers. (at least one being in round 2)

For the veteran receiver I lean towards bringing back Funchess if he is healthy. I don't have a preference on who to draft at receiver. There is so much talent at that position in this draft and I'm confident some good options will be there in the second round.

I lean that way too. I'm really  praying for Tee Higgins to fall to us at 34 but I doubt that happens and thats the main reason I didn't list him. But this year is stacked at the position so I'm sure we will land a great WR in the 2nd. 

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

I’d love it if we could somehow get Judy or Ruggs. 

Wishful thinking but me too

• Like 2

I really want Claypool in the late 2nd/early 3rd. I think he is special. 

Take this, for example. Pre-combine, he was projected as a 5th round pick. On most reports I saw, as well as my own, it said that he was a very talented player, with his only question being speed. A few sources even said that if he ran well at the combine, he had the talent to be a late 1st round player.

And what happened next? He blew up the combine, not just in one drill but in everything. He looked good in field drills as well. And now he's bumped all the way to 2/3 range in the draft, when sources said he has 1st round talent.

To me, for a guy who killed the combine the way he did, he is still underrated.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

Emmanuel Sanders.  Yes, I think they should grab one of this year's deep class, but if you're going all in for the next year or 2, get Sanders.  Great routes, great hands.

A younger version of Inman for our offense, will figure out a way to get open, and find spots in zones easily. He still has a good year or two in him. He is however best suited for the slot at this point in his career. Question marks about Campbell and Funchess affect so many decisions for us on the WR front, IMO.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A younger version of Inman for our offense, will figure out a way to get open, and find spots in zones easily. He still has a good year or two in him. He is however best suited for the slot at this point in his career. Question marks about Campbell and Funchess affect so many decisions for us on the WR front, IMO.

Sanders is older than Inman 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Sanders is older than Inman 

I did not know that. He definitely plays younger, so I guess he will fit the same role but he has nice hops compared to Inman, I am surprised to be honest.

I will also add that Denzel Mims is a prospect to watch for the Colts. He had a good showing at the Senior Bowl. Chris Ballard and co. value the Senior Bowl. Mims seems like the type of prospect that fits what the Colts look to draft.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I did not know that. He definitely plays younger, so I guess he will fit the same role but he has nice hops compared to Inman, I am surprised to be honest.

Yea he hasn't acted his age at all. Especially his quick recovery from a torn achilles. He's doing very impressive things for is age

Can I have Ayiuk AND Mims? 

I think a WR double dip is a must. Right now, the WR depth chart is TY, Campbell, Pascal and Fountain. TY is the only legit proven option...and he's a FA after this year...there's a chance he isn't even here next season...leaving a bunch of question marks.

Bringing in two stud WR prospects gives them time to acclimate...so they can step up next year and compete for starting roles. Plus, they are cheap...which will be nice when they are paying giving out extensions to Nelson and Leonard. 

• Like 1

I do think a Cooks trade actually be intriguing. He's coming off a down year...but Cooks is a very good WR and is only 26. I actually see a lot of TY's game in Cooks.

He would immediately step in and provide that needed vet presence (and possibly even as a replacement for TY)...and he's young enough to be a big part of this competitive window (if he can stay healthy).

Given the year he just had, the fact that the LAR are having cap issues and the concussions...it would have to be a salary dump type trade. But it is very interesting.

Trade for Cooks, draft a WR and a TE on Day Two...and you have a completely revamped passing game with Rivers.

7 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I really want Claypool in the late 2nd/early 3rd. I think he is special. 

Take this, for example. Pre-combine, he was projected as a 5th round pick. On most reports I saw, as well as my own, it said that he was a very talented player, with his only question being speed. A few sources even said that if he ran well at the combine, he had the talent to be a late 1st round player.

And what happened next? He blew up the combine, not just in one drill but in everything. He looked good in field drills as well. And now he's bumped all the way to 2/3 range in the draft, when sources said he has 1st round talent.

To me, for a guy who killed the combine the way he did, he is still underrated.

I think if they draft a wr, he will not b a project. Campbell is pretty raw and they r hoping he can be a #1.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Nelson Agholor on a prove it deal plus a second round WR is my preference.  Leaves room for development in Fountain, Campbell and the rookie plus a high floor from Pascal and Agholor to complement TY.

This is pretty much what I’m thinking.

I don’t think Reich wants to limit Campbell to a slot-only option. For all his struggles last year, Agholor had a really nice year in 2017 under Reich and Groh working primarily out of the slot.

For the draft, Michael Pittman Jr. is a guy that checks pretty much all of Ballard’s boxes. Team captain, good production (100+ catches, 1275 yards, and 11 TDs as a senior), solid athlete (85th percentile SPARQ), Senior Bowl attendee, and NFL bloodlines. He also has added value as a gunner on special teams. Not sure why it seems like he’s flying under the radar a bit but I can’t help but think he’s going to be a target.

Dont forget 1 will slide down by us in the second round. Way too  any good wr for us not to ge5t one, even better if its 1 of the top 5 who fell. And there are still 2 free agent wr who would compliment our offense,  and both have played with Rivers I am liking our offense barring any injuries. Then throw in the backs who also catch the ball. I like what I c so far

I think we will double dip with WR in the draft. Especially if we get a late round pick for Jacoby Brissett. With it being such a deep draft, its possible we can get a WR in the 4th or 5th round that can contribute, rather than re-signing Devin Funchess or signing someone like Nelson Agholor. I expect we draft a WR in round 2 for sure anyway.

Right now what we have to work with is Hilton, Fountain, Campbell, Pascal and I suppose we could always go back to Inman if needed.  Would like to see Ishmael get more of a chance this year.  Hoping we resign Devin Funchess.  My suspicions are that we resign Funchess and we'll take a WR that we like high in the draft between 2 and 3. 

14 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think we will double dip with WR in the draft. Especially if we get a late round pick for Jacoby Brissett. With it being such a deep draft, its possible we can get a WR in the 4th or 5th round that can contribute, rather than re-signing Devin Funchess or signing someone like Nelson Agholor. I expect we draft a WR in round 2 for sure anyway.

If Ballard doesn't sign a free agent WR, I actually think the scenario you describe is fairly likely: one (if not more) of the "Round One" guys will slide to #34, and some guy with serious potential (Duvernay, Gibson, Hightower, etc) may well last until Day 3.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think if they draft a wr, he will not b a project. Campbell is pretty raw and they r hoping he can be a #1.

They can't draft a project .  With the FA signing and the logical posts you have made about them, No matter how against the grain they may be.   The Colts (Irsay ) .   said go WIN NOW!

TBH I could see a trade up for a WR WAY before I see a trade up for a QB to sit the bench for 1-2 yrs 

Sorry I was being logical like you. Pretty sure I'll get banned again

• Thanks 1

I would like Mims the most of those, but I'm thinking he doesn't make it to us. I would be okay with "settling" for Reagor though. Ideally we retain Funchess and draft Mims or Reagor. But this is with a "WR at 34 approach" which I would prefer to be the case if we are considering taking Gordon or Hurts at 44. If we pass on a QB in round two I'd be okay with holding off until 44 for a WR. I could see someone like Ayuik, Claypool, Johnson, or Peoples-Jones still being available. Then we could take Gladney or Kmet or something at 34.

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Re-sign Funchess

Sign Perriman

Draft Reagor at 34

Draft Claypool at 44 and convert him to TE

Why convert him?  Why can't he learn and play both positions?  I'm not an expert on the position by any means, So this is an honest question

14 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Why convert him?  Why can't he learn and play both positions?  I'm not an expert on the position by any means, So this is an honest question

When you line up a big X in the slot, he's basically lining up like a TE anyway. Same area/space in terms of where they line up, and similar routes. Really the biggest part of a "conversion" is just using him blocking in the running game. He's already a good blocker, so it's really only learning scheme/responsibility difference. 

But yup, I agree, not need to "convert" him. He's a good outside X, and he can play from the slot when we want him to act like a TE.

• Thanks 1