Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Should Highly Consider Signing Jadeveon Clowney on a Short-Term Deal

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a one year deal?

With money we can afford?      And not have to cut players we really want to keep to do it?

Yes,  I'd do that....     for one year,  I see far more upside than downside.

JC would get to re-establish his market value.     The one year would keep him highly motivated.

With no first round pick, the money needed to sign rookies will

be significantly less

Hoyer has got to go 

Clooney is a great run stopper that gets needed pressures

It would be tight to pull off on cash... but the guy would improve our defense

put me down as yes

3 hours ago, BigO said:

By making the trade for Buckner and signing Rivers for one year the colts need to be all in going for the super bowl now. Ballard go get Clowney and make this defense great

Clowney is more of a run stopping DT than he is a pass rusher. He wants to be paid like a pass rusher but in reality he's not a pass rusher. He was next to last in every pass rushing statistic in 2019 but he was graded one of the highest defensive lineman at stopping the run. Plug him next to Buck and he will eat running backs alive. 

Not at $20M per.  I'd wait it out a little while and see if anybody is that stupid.  If not, then come in at like 2-years and $30M.  Throw in some incentives like 10 sacks, ProBowl, etc. where he could earn 3-5M more.  See if he would accept that.  If so, I'm all in.

I feel this signing would really affect the amount of playtime for Turay and Banogu. I believe this is Turay's year to break out and I think he'll definitely be a better player than Clowney, who to me is evidently one of the most over rated pass rushers in the entire NFL. I don't care how much pressures he got last year(I don't know if he got very much, just saying this in case he did), he only got I think 3 sacks. That is utterly terrible for a guy who wants 20 mil a year. I don't care that he got 2 TDs, when you sign a pass rusher you expect him to get sacks and he hasn't had a year over 10. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the defense doesn't need Clowney.  Turay is still early in his rookie contract and Houston isn't out of gas yet.  

Signing 2 big defender contracts in the same year could also create some cap logistics issues.

Now that Rivers is in the house there's another pick that may be spent on a defender instead of a QB in the draft. 

15 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the defense doesn't need Clowney.  Turay is still early in his rookie contract and Houston isn't out of gas yet.  

Signing 2 big defender contracts in the same year could also create some cap logistics issues.

Now that Rivers is in the house there's another pick that may be spent on a defender instead of a QB in the draft. 

He would be Sheards replacement. He is a excellent run stopper with more distruptive power then Sheard.  Plus he is four years younger.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It makes sense because that would mean we let Sheard go. This would be his younger replacement.

If this happens I can see Ballard going after the best CB he can get in the draft, especially after the Desir release.    This D is so close to being elite.   

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Clowney is only being offered 13m by the seahawks and he is open to a one year deal. If the colts could get him for that it would be worth it.

Where are you getting this?  It is being reported that the Seahawks offer is believed to be at $18.5 million per year.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-make-offer-to-jadeveon-clowney-also-plan-to-pursue-everson-griffen-per-report/

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

If this happens, which I hope it does. 2 things I think.  

1. With the Rivers signing and the Bucker signing the Colts believe they can win it all this yr and are going all in.  I think this was the yr if Andrew stayed as well.

2. We will not be drafting for the future but for the here and now and it could mean that need will outweigh BPA in this draft.

We could do what 9ers did last yr and go from bottom to top in one yr.

Archived