Todd Gurley is on the trade block

Crazy trade idea.

Colts rec:

Gurley

Cooks

LAR rec:

Brissett

Rams trying to clear both. Salaries.

They could keep Brissett or cut him and only have $8m cap hit.

I would like to see thr total numbers on who is paying what to who.

But I think I could get on board with this. 

The Rams are going to have to give up a high draft pick for someone to take him. HUGE contract, injury that may shorten his career and no physical allowed during the out break. Yep, the Rams might have to do a "Take out fat contract, and here's a #2 for your trouble"..

Not sure how the money works out for Cooks...since he has a weird option bonus prorated over the next four years...but I could potentially be interested in a salary dump pickup (if the numbers work). He's only 27 and could add a nice weapon to the passing game.

When Melvin Gordon is a free agent and TB doesn't have to give up draft capital to get him, I see fewer reasons for TB to go after Gurley. Gordon comes with just as much potential with probably a cheaper price tag.

You could get Gordon for 3 years $36 mil. or something like that, eventually.

So hear me out on this Gurley and Cooks package.

I would love to see Gurley behind this line and Cooks woild be a great addition.

It is really just 2 teams helping each other clear some cap.

Gurley would cost us:

20:$13m

21:$9m

22:$10m

23:$12m

With only $13m dead cap hit this year. Nothing after unless we wanted to keep him.(future training camp and roster bonuses)

So easy to get out of if need be.

Cooks, I'm 90% sure restructured his deal after year 1. So all that optional bonus would be covered by LAR. His contract after a trade to us would look like this:

20:$12m

21:$12m

22:$13m

23:$14m

With only $4m dead cap this year, nothing going forward.

Now to them helping us out:

Rams rec:

Brissett would cost them $16m to keep, or they could release him and only have to pay his roster bonus.

This saves the Colts from paying JB bonus, and $13m of his contract, while helping Rams shed some contracts of 2 guys I think would help our team expeditiously. While having no real future cap restraints because of it.

IDK? Just saying.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I would love to see Gurley behind this line and Cooks woild be a great addition.

Gurley would cost us:

With only $13m dead cap hit this year. Nothing after unless we wanted to keep him.(future training camp and roster bonuses)

Cooks, I'm 90% sure restructured his deal after year 1. So all that optional bonus would be covered by LAR. His contract after a trade to us would look like this:

Rams rec:

Brissett would cost them $16m to keep, or they could release him and only have to pay his roster bonus.

This saves the Colts from paying JB bonus, and $13m of his contract, while helping Rams shed some contracts of 2 guys I think would help our team expeditiously. While having no real future cap restraints because of it.

IDK? Just saying.

We already have enough players that have problems staying healthy

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

Gurley would cost us:

Rams rec:

IDK? Just saying.

Even with JB off the books...I don't think they will have the flexibility for both.

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Even with JB off the books...I don't think they will have the flexibility for both.

JB off the books except $5.5m coupled with Hoyer release gets us to a $40-$42m

-$13m - Gurley

-$12m - Cooks

$25m

Leaves us with $15m-$17m and no future dead cap unless we keep them.

$6m for draft picks.

Leaves us at $10m-$12m in cap space.

Could let Autry go for another $6m. Or trade for mid round pick.

It could be done. Our offense would look pretty nice

Rivers

Gurley

Mack

Hines

TY

Cooks

Campbell

Pascal

Doyle

MAC

Before the draft.

6 picks

WR

CB

OL

TE

DL

QB

Idk? Its a crazy idea, but something that seems plausible.

I'd love to have Gurley of a couple years ago on this team, but I've never seen Cooks do anything to think he'd be an asset. He's on his 3rd team, and hasn't shown to be THE GUY anywhere he's been. I have the same feelings about Watkins.

Either of those guys are easily upgraded by a draft pick.

I'd rather pay JB all that money to sit on the bench for one more year, than pay these two guys for the next 4.

The trouble with Cooks is that concussion.  I wouldn't touch him.  It's impossible to manage concussions once a player develops a tendency for them.

As far as Gurley is concerned the Rams offensive line was beyond terrible in 2019.  This is a Bettis-like availability of a player who still has more than people think.

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

I'd love to have Gurley of a couple years ago on this team, but I've never seen Cooks do anything to think he'd be an asset. He's on his 3rd team, and hasn't shown to be THE GUY anywhere he's been. I have the same feelings about Watkins.

I'd rather pay JB all that money to sit on the bench for one more year, than pay these two guys for the next 4.

4 consecutive years of 1000+ yards would be an asset in my eyes. 

Being released would mean the contract got a little cheaper. LeVeon Bell, who held out for Gurley money, am sure is watching and holding on to his Jets money.

This goes to show you, the Rams went all in for the now, got a SB appearance out of Gurley and Cooks, and now with Goff's bloated contract, they may not get out of the NFC West again as a division winner for a while, IMO.

3 hours ago, buccolts said:

Cooks is a very good WR...his career stats compare very favorably to TY. Cooks isn't really a WR1 type...and the Colts wouldn't need him to be that guy anyways...and his cost won't be commensurate with a WR1 either. 

But he has concussion issues at this point...which makes him risky. I don't think the Colts would take on much gtd money...so I would give up a middling pick for him and take it year to year.

Watkins will be released...and I think it's a bit unfair to Cooks to compare him to Watkins. Cooks has been much more productive and durable. Outside of a cheap one year deal...I have no interest in Watkins.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

When Melvin Gordon is a free agent and TB doesn't have to give up draft capital to get him, I see fewer reasons for TB to go after Gurley. Gordon comes with just as much potential with probably a cheaper price tag.

You could get Gordon for 3 years $36 mil. or something like that, eventually.

Why do people think Gordon is good?

Archived