Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wildcard Possible Even With A Rookie Qb?

horseshoepower

The defense could be significantly better just based on scheme. Offenses figured out that cover 2 defense a few years ago, and it became very ineffective.

Looking at the contenders for the WC:

East : Jets - not seeing any reason to think they will improve from last year, maybe worse

Central: Steelers - getting old, does Wallace return. Bengals - last year a fluke? Mike Brown does still run the team.

West: Chargers - lost Vincent Jackson, Gates getting the injury bug

South: Titans 9-7 last yr., Britt was injured, CJ off year or got paid and won't return to form?

I am assuming Pats, Ravens, Broncos, and Texans all win their divisions (big assumption all 4 of last yrs winners repeat). Looking at this list, if the Colts could go 9-7, that might be enough to get the 2nd WC in a weak AFC.

It's possible, but not likely. A good draft this year then 2013 is a good possibility.

I wnat a new 'D' scheme too but .....a word of caution..

We're weak on the corner and 'cover 2' hid that...in my mind

..but given your division winners...and the Jets, Chargers and Steelers hitting the skids....

You could be right. What has to happen is the top teams have to not just win but dominate their division.

Bottom line. Can the Colts split with Houston and finish ahead of Tennesse and Jacksonville..??

we were 2-4 in our division last year and we averaged 13 points a game.

Sure they could. that's not farfetched at all.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread seems to be heavily populated with replies from optimistic younger fans with no experience of the rebuilding process.

The Colts are definitely rebuilding, and they're at present only one draft class better than an expansion team. The rebuilding plan

is likely aimed at 2014 as the breakthrough season, as the number of starting positions to be filled is formidable. On offense we

need quality starters at QB, FL, TE, ROT ( I see Ijalana as a guard ), C and RB. On defense we need a NT, CB, SS ( Zbikowski

is likely a quality backup ) and ILB to pair with Angerer. With good fortune we will be able to fill those spots in three drafts plus a

big FA push in 2013. My primary hope for this year is that we draft Luck and can surround him with enough talent to keep him

from getting killed.

I am optimistic about the Colts, but for entirely different reasons. After watching the NFL for 46 seasons, I have gravitated towards

watching the performance of the most important person on the team; the general manager. What he does affects the team more

than an all-pro quarterback. So far, Grigson is as good as I had dared to hope. Although in FA he has brought in only one likely

quality starter ( Redding ), he has brought in quality depth players for cheap with a very limited cap situation due to the Freeney

contract and of course the debacle left by the regime of senile nepotism via the Polians. Keep in mind this guy has been an area

Head Scout in all major areas of the country, and has contacts and friends in many college programs. Big advantage. One thing

I would like to know is whether he intends to upgrade the Colt's scouting department. During the latter Polian era the department

was allowed to go to seed. If, as he said 'I want a starter in every round', then Grigson needs to do this.

Rather than a quick return to 'respectability', you should look for the best quality building blocks to be put in place first. Then, when

the upsurge happens, it won't end in one-and-done in the playoffs. 8-8 don't interest me. Suffer now, dynasty later.

I wnat a new 'D' scheme too but .....a word of caution..

We're weak on the corner and 'cover 2' hid that...in my mind

..but given your division winners...and the Jets, Chargers and Steelers hitting the skids....

You could be right. What has to happen is the top teams have to not just win but dominate their division.

Bottom line. Can the Colts split with Houston and finish ahead of Tennesse and Jacksonville..??

we were 2-4 in our division last year and we averaged 13 points a game.

Sure they could. that's not farfetched at all.

Coyer's version of the Cover 2 was reduced to 'Cover Nobody,' Bend but don't Win,' and 'Prevent a Victory' defense where corners were 10 yards deep, and linebackers were five yards deep. The corners were not solid by any means, but this lax defense makes corners look worse....not better. Andy Dalton was 17-21 against this horrific version. New Orleans: 62-7 (the third worst if professional football history. The defense was better with Mike Murphy....there was more attack, and there was actually a Jacob Lacey sighting that included a pick six. Not arguing...just remembering the debacle formerly know as the Larry Coyer defense.

Coyer's version of the Cover 2 was reduced to 'Cover Nobody,' Bend but don't Win,' and 'Prevent a Victory' defense where corners were 10 yards deep, and linebackers were five yards deep. The corners were not solid by any means, but this lax defense makes corners look worse....not better. Andy Dalton was 17-21 against this horrific version. New Orleans: 62-7 (the third worst if professional football history. The defense was better with Mike Murphy....there was more attack, and there was actually a Jacob Lacey sighting that included a pick six. Not arguing...just remembering the debacle formerly know as the Larry Coyer defense.

Please thank Larry Coyer for giving us the line-the-corners-up-ten-yards-off-the-line 'Suck For Luck' defense. Just remember with gratitude how on the same day that Miami ( whose fans were certain they'd get Luck ) blew a 15-point lead with 2 minutes left, that Coyer's 'bend-over' defense showed them how it's done. He broke the will of Miami fans, and now look at what they've got to choose from at QB.

UFan - I completely agree with what you are saying, but i would have to argue that Donald Brown will be the back that we need and with Carter and Evans we will have a fairly solid backfield. We could easily get a late round RB in the draft and our depth would be very good at that position.

A lot of people keep hammering on Donald, but with the new offense if they move to the more downhill running that Pitts does, that will be a huge help for Donald, as opposed to the Zone Blocking style we did that caused him to do more thinking than just running.

Please thank Larry Coyer for giving us the line-the-corners-up-ten-yards-off-the-line 'Suck For Luck' defense. Just remember with gratitude how on the same day that Miami ( whose fans were certain they'd get Luck ) blew a 15-point lead with 2 minutes left, that Coyer's 'bend-over' defense showed them how it's done. He broke the will of Miami fans, and now look at what they've got to choose from at QB.

Matt Moore and David Garrard (Spell check) Lied your post, and loved the comment Ufansince65!!!! I think we have the same thought processes here.

People expected Cincy to be the worst in the league. Or among the worst.

I felt better when Reggie came back.

Yeah me too. In the end though, defense carries the day. We will be as good as our defense allows us to be. Not expecting too much the first year but I am open to being pleasantly surprised.

LOL Poor Miami. They really got >>>ed in all this. No Luck, no RG3, no Peyton, heck no Flynn. Heard they signed Garard to a 1-year contract the other day. Maybe they go all out for Alex Smith? Regardless, they have been drifting aimlessly since Marino called it quits. That could have very easily been us in a few years, Colts fans. We are very fortunate to be in a position to draft a prospect of Luck's caliber to follow after Peyton.

Its VERY possible the colts going to the playoffs next year.... the colts didn't get rid of any players they will miss except peyton. The colts are gonna be stellar on defense next year... the offensive line won't be pushed around, Reggie one of the best receivers in the league is still here and a really good RB in brown is playing.... the colts need a good NT and CB and Wideout and they are back in the race

Its VERY possible the colts going to the playoffs next year.... the colts didn't get rid of any players they will miss except peyton. The colts are gonna be stellar on defense next year... the offensive line won't be pushed around, Reggie one of the best receivers in the league is still here and a really good RB in brown is playing.... the colts need a good NT and CB and Wideout and they are back in the race

The probability of the WC coming out of the AFCS this year? Very small.

I think they will miss Saturday and maybe Addai, yes he has been on the decline but he could block, we dont have a running back that can block to my knowledge anyway so far but that may not be a requirement now though but Saturday was a big loss

LOL Poor Miami. They really got >>>ed in all this. No Luck, no RG3, no Peyton, heck no Flynn. Heard they signed Garard to a 1-year contract the other day. Maybe they go all out for Alex Smith?

Miami can forget about Alex Smith. I just heard that Harbaugh was seen under Smith's window with a box of chocolates and a dozen roses

singing 'I Want To Know What Love Is'.....

This thread seems to be heavily populated with replies from optimistic younger fans with no experience of the rebuilding process.

The Colts are definitely rebuilding, and they're at present only one draft class better than an expansion team. The rebuilding plan

is likely aimed at 2014 as the breakthrough season, as the number of starting positions to be filled is formidable. On offense we

need quality starters at QB, FL, TE, ROT ( I see Ijalana as a guard ), C and RB. On defense we need a NT, CB, SS ( Zbikowski

is likely a quality backup ) and ILB to pair with Angerer. With good fortune we will be able to fill those spots in three drafts plus a

big FA push in 2013. My primary hope for this year is that we draft Luck and can surround him with enough talent to keep him

from getting killed.

I am optimistic about the Colts, but for entirely different reasons. After watching the NFL for 46 seasons, I have gravitated towards

watching the performance of the most important person on the team; the general manager. What he does affects the team more

than an all-pro quarterback. So far, Grigson is as good as I had dared to hope. Although in FA he has brought in only one likely

quality starter ( Redding ), he has brought in quality depth players for cheap with a very limited cap situation due to the Freeney

contract and of course the debacle left by the regime of senile nepotism via the Polians. Keep in mind this guy has been an area

Head Scout in all major areas of the country, and has contacts and friends in many college programs. Big advantage. One thing

I would like to know is whether he intends to upgrade the Colt's scouting department. During the latter Polian era the department

was allowed to go to seed. If, as he said 'I want a starter in every round', then Grigson needs to do this.

Rather than a quick return to 'respectability', you should look for the best quality building blocks to be put in place first. Then, when

the upsurge happens, it won't end in one-and-done in the playoffs. 8-8 don't interest me. Suffer now, dynasty later.

I completely agree with the "younger optimists" part... a lot of them arent old enough to remember that in Peyton's rookie year, we had Peyton at QB, Glenn was already on our O-Line, we had Marvin at WR and Marshall Faulk at RB...the D was a little better then, also...and we finished 3-13 that year....we will be competetive in a lot of games this year, but will lose a lot of them, just like that year. Also, people need to be patient with Luck and not expect so much from him just becaus "other rookies have done well" lately. In Peyton's rookie year, he had over 20 INTs, but you could just "tell" that he was going to be really good...i believe that Luck will be really good...i do not think he'll ever be better than Peyton, but then again, its arguable that no one in the history of the game has been a better QB than Peyton has. A lot of the younger crowd dont realize just how rare Peyton is...and to think that someone is going to come along so soon (and to the same team, no less) and be better, is overly optimistic.

as for Ijalana, i think that he could play guard, but is better suited to play OT...Jeff Saturday said this year at the draft combine that he thinks that Ijalana will become our starting LT and Castonzo will be the RT in the future...that Ijalana was that talented and a lot more fluid in his movements than most tackles...the only reason he wasnt our day one starter is due to lesser competetion in college and needing to get up to speed with the NFL.

and i also REALLY hope we do the smart thing and take Luck...taking RGIII would be a huge mistake that would set us back big time in our rebuilding process. RGIII is a very gifted athlete, but Luck will be the MUCH better NFL QB, no doubt about it in my mind.

i seriously doubt that, man. In a few years, once we get all of the pieces in place that we need, we should be very good on D...but right now, we are trying to install a completely new system and dont even have all of the parts to make it work.

I think they will miss Saturday and maybe Addai, yes he has been on the decline but he could block, we dont have a running back that can block to my knowledge anyway so far but that may not be a requirement now though but Saturday was a big loss

They miss Saturday and Peyton....I am hoping for Shipley (Believe it or not at center) a true beast at Penn State......

Reggie said there was no guarantee that we were going to suck... that means that there is a high probability though :-)

We will be a wildcard only if 6-10 qualifies... think there are too many changes this year to get it together well enough.

I don't think it's done yet. New coaching staff that knows how to get the job done. Although we have a long way to go. It's possible. Definitely. If Luck is at all better than what we had last year, Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie can still get the job done. We still have keys. I'm not sold on Texans as easy winners. Remember we beat them last year.

Idk what WC means but it really isn't. Come pre season the colts will have a better roster than most of the teams on the afc south

R u 4realz? It means wild card.

And you can't foretell the draft, so you don't know the second part of your statement, either.

Even if they do, there are many other teams out there that will have an even better roster.

Idk what WC means but it really isn't. Come pre season the colts will have a better roster than most of the teams on the afc south

i assume that WC means wild card... how do you think that we will have a better roster than most in the AFC South? we dont have that much money to spend, and were 2-14 last year. in a few years, yeah, i see us being the top team again...but not for a couple years...i look for us to compete and lose a lot of close games (and a few ugly ones) next year. After last year, and with so many changes this year, i think that a 4-12 season would be considered a success, from a win/loss standpoint

i assume that WC means wild card... how do you think that we will have a better roster than most in the AFC South? we dont have that much money to spend, and were 2-14 last year. in a few years, yeah, i see us being the top team again...but not for a couple years...i look for us to compete and lose a lot of close games (and a few ugly ones) next year. After last year, and with so many changes this year, i think that a 4-12 season would be considered a success, from a win/loss standpoint

Agreed...if this team managed to go 6-10 next year I'd be STOKED.

Love this post but lets include Collie.

I would love to say yes and I'm an optimist but......I think we'll miss the playoffs. I do think we'll have a pretty decent d that will only get better and better but I don't think the running game will be good enough out of the gate and I think with our history of injuries we will not be able to afford more than 1 starter to go down in any group (OL, DL, LBs, WRs, etc) or we'll miss the playoffs. Since every year we lose multiple starters on some part of the team I think that will not change. Look out in a few years. I think we will eventually have our best D since the 1970 Colts.

R u 4realz? It means wild card.

And you can't foretell the draft, so you don't know the second part of your statement, either.

Even if they do, there are many other teams out there that will have an even better roster.

If you win the division you get in and the colts can do that. Doesn't take a scientist to tell what the colts will address

The colts could have easily been 6-10 last season and that's with a bad team and defense. The defense has definitely gotten better by the recent signings and releases, the Oline has also gotten better with recent signings. And if the colts are gonna get "the best prospect in 20yrs" then why is that so hard to believe? This is not a cfl team that joined the NFL, the colts will be a good team next year and that's because the colts are addressing the most important parts of the team.

The colts could have easily been 6-10 last season and that's with a bad team and defense. The defense has definitely gotten better by the recent signings and releases, the Oline has also gotten better with recent signings. And if the colts are gonna get "the best prospect in 20yrs" then why is that so hard to believe? This is not a cfl team that joined the NFL, the colts will be a good team next year and that's because the colts are addressing the most important parts of the team.

they could just as easily have been 0-16. theyve changed pretty much everything, and there will be an adjustment period...to think otherwise is only setting yourself up to be let down. within 3 years i expect the team to be very good again...but this coming season, i think we're closer to competing for the #1 pick than we are to competing for a playoff spot. just being realistic

I predicted 7-9. If the defense attacks like I 'know it will' and Pagano's motivation, the players will exceed expectations. We also have a rookie QB who is better than last years rookies and most succeeded.(Cam Newton was off the charts good and Dalton was 'solid.') I said the first time I saw Luck at the line of scrimmage he reminded me of 18.

I could live with that

It will come down to how fast Luck can disect pro defenses and how well our OL blocks

If we are looking at 3rd and long every time, because we decided to go with hasbeen or wannabe Interior lineman,

Luck will have a looooooonnngggg year.......

He will be on his back, counting the cieling lights at LOS!!!

they could just as easily have been 0-16. theyve changed pretty much everything, and there will be an adjustment period...to think otherwise is only setting yourself up to be let down. within 3 years i expect the team to be very good again...but this coming season, i think we're closer to competing for the #1 pick than we are to competing for a playoff spot. just being realistic

Tell that to the Texans who did a complete turn around on defense, the colts have basically gotten tougher and bigger on defense how can they get any worse????

The offense will be more run orientatated but the colts will have luck under center..... if he's as good as ppl say he is then what in the world is so hard to believe about being a above .500 team lol...

Interesting to see several comment on our OL being better and our running game...

Exactly what upgrades have we made that make us think our OL will be better? Justice has been a second stringer, couldn't win his position with Eagles last year, McGlynn was also a second stringer last year and couldn't win his position with the Bengals.. And it looks like we are not going to keep Saturday, which kind of baffles me with Luck coming in. How does this = an upgrade (other than the fact that Link-to-a-sack will presumably not be starting next year)??

Was hoping that we might have pursued at least a quality starter, even if they were a second tier FA that we could afford. What we got was other teams backups. If we are going to upgrade, then those moves haven't been made yet IMO

Tell that to the Texans who did a complete turn around on defense, the colts have basically gotten tougher and bigger on defense how can they get any worse????

The offense will be more run orientatated but the colts will have luck under center..... if he's as good as ppl say he is then what in the world is so hard to believe about being a above .500 team lol...

the team was 2-14 last year... the Texans went out and got players to address their biggest needs on D last year, we havent really done any of that yet. And we lost Garcon and will likely lose all of our TEs except Eldridge (who was hurt most of the year).

I do think that Luck will be a great NFL QB...but he will be a rookie, and the #1 pick...teams get the #1 pick for a reason, because they're the worst team in the NFL. So i stand by my opinion that in a few years the Colts will be very good...but for next year, they will compete but lose a lot of games. I still believe that for this coming season, 4-12 would be considered a success from a win/loss standpoint.

the team was 2-14 last year... the Texans went out and got players to address their biggest needs on D last year, we havent really done any of that yet. And we lost Garcon and will likely lose all of our TEs except Eldridge (who was hurt most of the year).

I do think that Luck will be a great NFL QB...but he will be a rookie, and the #1 pick...teams get the #1 pick for a reason, because they're the worst team in the NFL. So i stand by my opinion that in a few years the Colts will be very good...but for next year, they will compete but lose a lot of games. I still believe that for this coming season, 4-12 would be considered a success from a win/loss standpoint.

Have you seen what the Texans have done? They list Ryan's and Williams... there's a saying that goes "your defense is only as strong as your MLB" and Ryan's was one of the best.

Have you not been paying attention to what the colts have been doing?The colts have basically gotten tougher ,bigger and better. Now they'll have a scrambling QB who's very accurate be it Griffin or Luck. Dallas always got manhandled when blocking so he wasn't needed, the colts need a good blocking and receiving TE which they will get.

As foe WRs they're like RBs, if you have a good QB and a decent WR they can do damage so that's the last thing the colts need to worry about that.

Colts will be much better than many think......they were the best worst team ever....their weaknesses were exaggerated because they stuggled to move the ball on offense....that was because of deficient QB play ( even Saturday said after the season that the Colts ran the ball better than they had in previous years)....not just the absense of Manning....but the absense of even a legitimate starting NFL QB for all 16 games..........If the Patriots started Collins at QB (after studying the playbook for about a week) for their first 3 games.....then Painter for the next 5 or so .......then finish the season with Orlovsky....do they still go to the Super Bowl...with a pretty sub-par defense? Do the Giants get there and win with a league worst 3.5 yds average per rushing game?...Do ANY of the 12 playoff teams even have a winning season playing with the Colts QBs?....I say they don't...not one.............Luck will bring such an upgrade to the position....even in his first year.....the good players the Colts still have on both sides of the ball could very well produce a winning season sooner than later....

I will always believe this team was a good coach away from an average year last year. I have said in many posts one could point to at least 7 wins last year with some small tweaks. In my opinion our horrible coaching from last year all around is why we are where we are.. So yes a wildcard is a goal we should have.