Indianapolis Colts
WoolMagnet

Suddenly quiet in Coltsland

32 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Draft picks are going to account for less than $6 million, which leaves $14 mil before any moves in the qb room. I think I read they can clear nearly $12 with moves there? That’s still a serious chunk of change for a team that has filled holes already. And with major upgrades. They are going to address some needs in the draft, but it would be nice to go into the draft without a pressing need so you can focus on value regardless of position. 

I think they will ultimately have at least $32M to work with (when you subtract the $6M for the draft). It's JMO...but I cannot imagine carrying a $12.5M dead cap hit on JB if it could be avoided...let alone keeping him for $21M. That cap space is very valuable...either this year or as money to roll over to next year. 

But it will be interesting to see how much Ballard does want to roll over. I am guessing he will...at most...spend $20M of that $32M this season (once some money has been freed up that is)...leaving enough roll over to account for raises given to Leonard and Nelson...when they sign their early extensions next offseason.

Theoretically, he won't need to roll over a lot though...which might be why we are seeing this type of aggressiveness from Ballard. Rivers leaving would free up $25M. TY is a FA after this season...and I think there's a decent chance he hangs it up (or leaves via FA). That's almost $40M right there. Then you have AC...who could add another 16M in cap if he doesn't play. 

Obviously, Ballard knows a lot more than we do about what next year could look like. But I don't think they are done yet. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Been watching highlights on him going back to college.  Dude not only is talented, but seems to play with a lot of fire and energy. Very high motor and plays full throttle until the whistle every snap.  I honestly think that has a higher impact than anything else.  Him, plus Darius are gonna make that D electric.

head hype GIF

*Hype Intensifies*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ballard is getting hard to figure out. All we really heard from him was you have to build thru the draft. Then this year he trades a relatively high number 1 pick for a 26 year old tackle and signs an over the hill QB for one year at 25 mil. per year. Now we have 4 QB's on the roster and not much cap space left to find offensive weapons that Rivers is going to need. Are we going for it next year or not. 

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

Ballard is getting hard to figure out. All we really heard from him was you have to build thru the draft. Then this year he trades a relatively high number 1 pick for a 26 year old tackle and signs an over the hill QB for one year at 25 mil. per year. Now we have 4 QB's on the roster and not much cap space left to find offensive weapons that Rivers is going to need. Are we going for it next year or not. 

Patience is a virtue.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WR and Edge or DL in the 2nd rnd, then QB(BPA) in the 3rd to study behind Rivers should shore up some of the deficiencies.

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Draft picks are going to account for less than $6 million, which leaves $14 mil before any moves in the qb room. I think I read they can clear nearly $12 with moves there? That’s still a serious chunk of change for a team that has filled holes already. And with major upgrades. They are going to address some needs in the draft, but it would be nice to go into the draft without a pressing need so you can focus on value regardless of position. 

The team has not signed 16 players from last year's team. Given 7 draft picks, there are roughly 9 slots to fill with free agents. Very rough, I know. Not all 9 will be at league minimum. But, it won't allow much for a splash signing. 

5 hours ago, BigO said:

We are going for it this year.  :rock:

10 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

We are going for it this year.  :rock:

Idk if we were then Brady the priven winner  would have been the choice. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Nah, hard to root for Satan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Just maybe Ballard seen the same thing Belichick seen. 

That Brady is not near the QB he once was? 

• Like 1

Ballard made his splashes now I think he goes back to what Ballard does.  Sign a guy here or there and focus on the draft.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BigO said:

Ballard has told you for 3 years, its build the foundation thru the draft, add FA pieces to plug holes as it makes sense. Go back and listen to his interviews. he says the same thing everytime.  

I find it freaking hilarious that this forum roasted Ballard for 3 years for not taking swings in FA and he finally does, a couple large flashy moves, now people are freaking out about the cap.

Furthermore, there is no way we carry all 4 of those QBs and have over 50 million in QB salary.  Worst case, he'll keep Rivers and Brissset, cut the others. Mostly likely case is Brissett cut/traded or restructured between now and Monday.  Hoyer is gonna be gone, it'll either be Rivers backed up by Kelly, or Rivers backed up by a draftee at QB.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, BigO said:

You lose credibility when you refer to Buckner as "a 26 year old tackle.   Better would be - a just 26 year old all pro stud defensive tackle in his prime to fill the biggest need on defense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

We'll see how he does with the bucs. I'll wager outside the pats system he won't be as successful.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just maybe Ballard seen the same thing Belichick seen. 

That Brady is not near the QB he once was? 

System QB. The pats will be fine without Brady.......but I don't think Brady will have as much success.

11 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

We'll see how he does with the bucs. I'll wager outside the pats system he won't be as successful.

Agree, and Brady (like Rivers) is no spring chicken anymore. Their bodies are showing age.

The video breakdown (in another thread) of Rivers' 2019 interceptions blamed some of them on his O-line, but it also blamed a lot of them on the degradation of his arm.

Peyton was able to compensate for his physical decline in Denver - it remains to be seen if TB or PR will be able to recognize and compensate appropriately.

A lot of those PR picks last year indicate (to me) that PR isn't yet able to recognize his decline. Or perhaps he recognizes it but hasn't yet been able to retool his reflexes to compensate (i.e., not make those tight window throws).

On 3/19/2020 at 8:29 AM, pgt_rob said:

Most likely. Pretty sad in my opinion. I wanted to see him kick the record as a Colt. :Cry:

No because if this bum, everyone is * at JB. JB was getting national praises for MVP candidacy prior to the injury sustained in the Pitts game where Cam Heyward pushed Big Q onto JBs leg.

AV had chances to break records last year but choked. Missed timely FGs the year prior in the Chiefs playoff game. But people wanna give AV chance after chance.

Everyone wants to blame JB but give Rivers a shot when Rivers couldn't get it done in LA. Rivers threw more INTs than JB. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

You lose credibility when you refer to Buckner as "a 26 year old tackle.   Better would be - a just 26 year old all pro stud defensive tackle in his prime to fill the biggest need on defense.

A guy that only has about 4 to 5 good years left to play at a high level that we are paying top money for. Ballard better hope that Jeudy or Kinlaw dont turn into all pros that we could have had for an 11 year career at a very reasonable salary

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Agree, and Brady (like Rivers) is no spring chicken anymore. Their bodies are showing age.

The video breakdown (in another thread) of Rivers' 2019 interceptions blamed some of them on his O-line, but it also blamed a lot of them on the degradation of his arm.

Peyton was able to compensate for his physical decline in Denver - it remains to be seen if TB or PR will be able to recognize and compensate appropriately.

A lot of those PR picks last year indicate (to me) that PR isn't yet able to recognize his decline. Or perhaps he recognizes it but hasn't yet been able to retool his reflexes to compensate (i.e., not make those tight window throws).

Rivers arguably had the worse O.Line in the league last year and no run game. We have arguably the best O.Line and a very good run game, Rivers will be fine here.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Everyone wants to blame JB but give Rivers a shot when Rivers couldn't get it done in LA. Rivers threw more INTs than JB. 

Your are just looking at last years stats. Look at Rivers body of work. I'd rather roll with Rivers than watch Brissett miss wide open receivers on the way to another losing season.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers arguably had the worse O.Line in the league last year and no run game. We have arguably the best O.Line and a very good run game, Rivers will be fine here.

I think it’s fair to wonder about physical decline though. I watched that 16 minute clip of plays from last year, and while he definitely struggled largely because of the OL, he really did look his age. Even his completed passes looked like a struggle at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

It's  about rivers knowing his limitations. If he tties to make throws he know he can't make he will throw tons of interceptions

1 hour ago, BigO said:

A guy that only has about 4 to 5 good years left to play at a high level that we are paying top money for. Ballard better hope that Jeudy or Kinlaw dont turn into all pros that we could have had for an 11 year career at a very reasonable salary

But we have stocked up with young 1st contract talent that needs to used to win NOW.
We won't be able to afford all of them when their contracts need renewal. That means we drafted some for 4 years NOT 11. You don't seem to get that. And Jeudy and Kinlaw will do well to be really high performers for 7-8 years.
 Look at poor TY, he can't earn his current contract with his little, fragile body. He is a charity case.
Sure he will make some plays. Until his likely next breakdown.

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

But we have stocked up with young 1st contract talent that needs to used to win NOW.
We won't be able to afford all of them when their contracts need renewal. That means we drafted some for 4 years NOT 11. You don't seem to get that. And Jeudy and Kinlaw will do well to be really high performers for 7-8 years.
 Look at poor TY, he can't earn his current contract with his little, fragile body. He is a charity case.
Sure he will make some plays. Until his likely next breakdown.

Yea I get that. Ballard says you reward your own good players with a nice contract after there rookie contract ends. We did not get Buckner on his cheap rookie contract but at his most expensive contract. If that 13th pick turned out to be a great player then we would have had him cheap for 5 years. You would think that CB could find a very good player at 13 if you are a good GM

10 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Yes but he also threw more TD's and a CRAP TON more yards.  The problem with Jacoby is he is too scared to throw an INT.  And that will get you beat.  The great ones aren't worried about it because they know they can make up for it. 

Just got done watching the Colts-Chargers from week 1 last year.  Rivers threw that pick in the endzone in the 4th that Hooker made a tremendous one-handed catch on.  Did that stop him?  No.  He kept slinging it and took them down the field in OT and they cashed in.  Would Jacoby have done that?  

12 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Yes but he also threw more TD's and a CRAP TON more yards.  The problem with Jacoby is he is too scared to throw an INT.  And that will get you beat.  The great ones aren't worried about it because they know they can make up for it. 

Just got done watching the Colts-Chargers from week 1 last year.  Rivers threw that pick in the endzone in the 4th that Hooker made a tremendous one-handed catch on.  Did that stop him?  No.  He kept slinging it and took them down the field in OT and they cashed in.  Would Jacoby have done that?  

All the national people are saying the same as I (S.A.S, Pat McAfee, Luis Reddick, Dan Dachich, etc). Rivers is a turn over machine. JB was playing extremely well prior to the injury now certain people wanna throw him away after his injury but give countless chances to 35, and 40+ year old AARP card holders. 

BTW, The colts were 5-2 prior to the Steelers week 9 game. Over the first 7 games, the The Colts with JB beat the Chiefs at Arrow Head and Houston!. The Superbowl goes through Mahomes. Rivers cant beat Mahomes. JB has already done that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

All the national people are saying the same as I (S.A.S, Pat McAfee, Luis Reddick, Dan Dachich, etc). Rivers is a turn over machine. JB was playing extremely well prior to the injury now certain people wanna throw him away after his injury but give countless chances to 35, and 40+ year old AARP card holders. 

BTW, The colts were 5-2 prior to the Steelers week 8 game. Over the first 7 games, the The Colts with JB beat the Chiefs at Arrow Head and Houston!. The Superbowl goes through Mahomes. Rivers cant beat Mahomes. JB has already done that.

I think more than the injury was that teams figured Jacoby out.  They realized he wasn't going downfield and played closer to the LOS.  Could we roll with Jacoby again?  Sure, but we've already seen that movie.  May as well take a shot with someone else.  Will Rivers likely throw more picks?  Probably.  But he'll also likely throw more TD's and yards, which means more points.  If our defense has really gotten better, and I suspect it has, then they should be able to account for some of those turnovers.

It's a gamble either way and there is no perfect solution here.  But I suspect Ballard feels we've gone as far as we can with Jacoby and is ready to try something different.  I suspect that is also why Ballard made the trade for Buckner.  He knows he can't do too much about the QB situation for this year so he's trying to beef up the D.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I think more than the injury was that teams figured Jacoby out.  They realized he wasn't going downfield and played closer to the LOS.  Could we roll with Jacoby again?  Sure, but we've already seen that movie.  May as well take a shot with someone else.  Will Rivers likely throw more picks?  Probably.  But he'll also likely throw more TD's and yards, which means more points.  If our defense has really gotten better, and I suspect it has, then they should be able to account for some of those turnovers.

It's a gamble either way and there is no perfect solution here.  But I suspect Ballard feels we've gone as far as we can with Jacoby and is ready to try something different.

I think Rivers is a waste of money. The front office wanted to be frugal with the spending do to huge pay days for Quentin Nelson and Leonard. I absolutely love the Buckner trade but I think we fumbled with the Rivers signing. Either save the 25Ms for next year off season, or spend 25Ms improving other position of needs. jmo. I just dont think Rivers will be 25Ms worth an upgrade over JB. Rivers at this point resembles Joe Flacco's on field play.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

I think Rivers is a waste of money. The front office wanted to be frugal with the spending do to huge pay days for Quentin Nelson and Leonard. I absolutely love the Buckner trade but I think we fumbled with the Rivers signing. Either save the 25Ms for next year off season, or spend 25Ms improving other position of needs. jmo. I just dont think Rivers will be 25Ms worth an upgrade over JB. Rivers at this point resembles Joe Flacco's on field play.

I get that and it is expensive.  But it is a one year deal.  No further commitment after this season.  Any of the other QB's we could have gotten will be in that ballpark too.  Winston, Dalton, etc.  It's the price of doing business.  I mean hell at least we aren't TB giving a soon to be 43 year old $30M!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 8:59 AM, BigO said:

I'll take "all pro" results for 4-5 years.   Sure beats playing the odds with the 13th pick.   There is no sure things in the NFL draft.  Especially outside the top 10.   We now have one of the 3 best DT's in the league.   I don't see how you can find negative with that.   The cap space was available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'll take "all pro" results for 4-5 years.   Sure beats playing the odds with the 13th pick.   There is no sure things in the NFL draft.  Especially outside the top 10.   We now have one of the 3 best DT's in the league.   I don't see how you can find negative with that.   The cap space was available.

Totally agree. The Colts got a proven and ultra talented commodity just entering the prime of his career vs an uncertain draft pick. A no brainer. Thank Andrew Luck for putting the team in this spot re the QB position. It’s going to take shrewd drafting by Ballard to find the long term answer there. It may take the Colts a couple of years to find that new QB ...... That’s just the tough reality. Until then, you stay the course and build through the draft and resign your talent......and do what you can to win now. That’s what Ballard is doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Trading your 1st round pick for an all pro tackle is a good move if your team is super bowl ready. Contrary to what a lot of people believe on this board this team is not super bowl ready. They have way too many holes on this team like WR, right OG, TE, elite CB, S, DL, and playing with a 38 year old QB that threw 20 interceptions last year with elite offensive weapons on his team

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

Trading your 1st round pick for an all pro tackle is a good move if your team is super bowl ready. Contrary to what a lot of people believe on this board this team is not super bowl ready. They have way too many holes on this team like WR, right OG, TE, elite CB, S, DL, and playing with a 38 year old QB that threw 20 interceptions last year with elite offensive weapons on his team

You mean thinking that they can be Super Bowl ready in the next 4 years.  he'll be here for 4 years.  A DT at 13 may not even make the roster to start.   Very rare they they would play to an all pro level.   

You forget Rivers MVP level of play in 2018.   Also he is going from one of the worst O-lines to one of the best.   Hines is going to thrive in a Rivers led offense.  

So if you think this team isn't good, are you hoping for them to tank?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

You mean thinking that they can be Super Bowl ready in the next 4 years.  he'll be here for 4 years.  A DT at 13 may not even make the roster to start.   Very rare they they would play to an all pro level.   

You forget Rivers MVP level of play in 2018.   Also he is going from one of the worst O-lines to one of the best.   Hines is going to thrive in a Rivers led offense.  

Myles.  Stop feeding.

• Haha 1

This Buckner trade reminds me of 1987 when Bill Polian, then gm of the buffalo bills gave up his 1988 first round draft pick for holdout Colt draft pick Cornielous Bennett. Polian said at the time there would be no one near the player of Bennetts caliber where that 1988 first round pick would fall. I think Ballard is using the same logic here. No one in this years draft would provide the value at 13 that Ballard got with Buckner. He got a proven all pro who goes 110% on every play. I was watching the second half of 49ers-chiefs last night and watched Buckner on every snap he was on the field in the 3rd and 4th qtr he was double teamed every play except 1. His impact on this Colt defense will be quadruple what either Kinlaw or Brown could have provided. This was a double a plus move by Ballard. I thought it was too steep of a price when the trade was made but now I feel it was a steal. Great move Ballard.

• Like 2

With letting Desir go, I thought we would've heard something  in terms of a free agent CB signing by now. 

44 minutes ago, Myles said:

It’s actually five years. We have his fifth year option then signed him to four more years.

What this says is ballard is happy with the foundation he has built and its now time to add some play makers and take the next step. With Rivers and adding Buckner I think we can be SB contenders if we give Rivers a couple more weapons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigO said:

We've already filled our two biggest holes pre-draft. We're likely not done in FA and still have the draft.

We have

Top 5 OL

Top 10 Run O

Top 10 Run D

Bottom 10 pressure game

Bottom 5 passing game

WR/TE - We had a top 10 passing game in 2018 with basically the same WRs/TEs, or less. All we need is a better QB, and a few tweaks at WR/TE. We now have a QB that is only one year removed from a fantastic season.

ROG - This is silly. Glow is the weak link, but absolutely every team in the league has a weak link, and Glow is one of the strongest weak links in the league. Our only concern at all on the OL is depth.

DBs - we now have a hole at CB, but that can filled. Adding Buckner and raising our bottom 10 pressure rank will make our DBs look a whole lot better.

QB - Rivers was PB level in 2018. He had a bottom 5 OL last year, and his tackles gave up the most pressures in the NFL. He'll rebound just fine behind a top 5 OL.

DL - You know have two PB/AP players in Houston and Buckner. You have a 1T that improved dramatically after a few years of development. You have another DE who was playing lights out (PFF 91.3) prior to injury. This group should be much improved assuming health.

SB ready, I don't know. But should be at the very least competitive. We don't have a bunch of gaping holes relative to most other teams.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

With letting Desir go, I thought we would've heard something  in terms of a free agent CB signing by now. 

Guessing Ballard is playing the value game at this point after shelling out 2 big contracts. If he can't find a guy in FA, CB will likely be a 2nd round selection. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Hines is going to have a really good year I would agree. Like really good

• Like 1