Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Suddenly quiet in Coltsland

WoolMagnet

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are going to find that the NFL as a whole is going to be relatively quiet until the league allows players to come back into team facilities to be checked by the team's medical staffs. With the NFL barring players from coming in right now teams are less likely to commit to new deals with players. If you look at the Colts official website they haven't announced the Philip Rivers signing yet because he hasn't been able to come in yet and take his physical. I truly believe that Ballard and his team are working as hard or harder than they normally would this time of year.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not much else to do now until the draft. Ballard finally gave everyone want we wanted as in spending money, getting a great 3Tech in a trade, a Vet QB who is an upgrade over JB, and re-signing AC for 2 years. He can relax until the draft now.

Yep, we got an All-Pro in Buckner, a solid QB in rivers, and we kept the O-Line intact. Maybe another minor signing and it's on to the draft. Mock drafts won't be as fun though! :lol:

Buckner signing is tremendous. Can his influence on the d-line be similar to Q’s influence on the o-line?  If so, and the d-line becomes that good, it should positively impact the linebacker and secondary play. 

Can Buckner be the defensive piece to unleash a top 5 defense?  

1 minute ago, Lef said:

Buckner signing is tremendous. Can his influence on the d-line be similar to Q’s influence on the o-line?  If so, and the d-line becomes that good, it should positively impact the linebacker and secondary play. 

I think it will have exponential impact, especially with the DBs. LBs should benefit too, but I think the DBs are going to see the biggest boost.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Ballard must be sleeping off the hangover.  I’m sure they partied like rockstars after the Buckner and Rivers deals.

not surprising.  Considering he tends to like to carry over money into the season.  I don't see any large moves coming unless/until JB is moved.

5 minutes ago, Lef said:

Been watching highlights on him going back to college.  Dude not only is talented, but seems to play with a lot of fire and energy. Very high motor and plays full throttle until the whistle every snap.  I honestly think that has a higher impact than anything else.  Him, plus Darius are gonna make that D electric.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I'm wondering the status of our free agents.

Funchess- Will likely be Re-signed

Ebron- GONE

Geathers- 50/50 at best for a resign

Haeg- Re-sign

Inman- Gone

Rogers- Gone

Sheard- Gone

RB Jonathan Williams- gone

Fountain- Re-sign.

There are others too.

I have to assume Adam Vinatieri will not be back.  - Done.

My guesses above^

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

My guesses above^

I mostly agree.

Funchess - I don't know how the relationship has been and what type a guy he is.  Will he feel obligated a little bit to sign here since he collected allot of money for almost no output last year.  I hope they can bring him back.

Ebron - I agree he is gone already.   Just thought he may have changed his mind since Rivers was signed and there would be plenty of yards and TD's to go around.  

Sheard - I'd like to see him brought back, but he may demand too much.

Jonathan Williams - Bummer to see him go if he does.  

44 minutes ago, Myles said:

Funchess

Ebron

Geathers

Haeg

Inman

Rogers

Sheard

RB Jonathan Williams

Fountain

There are others too.

I have to assume Adam Vinatieri will not be back.  

Most likely. Pretty sad in my opinion. I wanted to see him kick the record as a Colt. :Cry:

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not much else to do now until the draft. Ballard finally gave everyone want we wanted as in spending money, getting a great 3Tech in a trade, a Vet QB who is an upgrade over JB, and re-signing AC for 2 years. He can relax until the draft now.

Take a look at the front page of the website.   They have a list on the status of all the Colts free agents.   There’s probably about 15-20 of them.  

Not much else left to do?”   

Come on now.    There’s plenty left to do.  But there’s always been a gap of a few days between wave 1 and wave 2.   Ballard let’s the asking price come down.   Been that way every FA season.   He’ll be back in signing mode soon enough. 

49 minutes ago, Myles said:

Funchess

Ebron

Geathers

Haeg

Inman

Rogers

Sheard

RB Jonathan Williams

Fountain

There are others too.

Fountain was tendered, along with Milligan who wasn’t on your list. I thought  Eric Ebron  was a goner, didn’t he send a going away tweet at the end of season after he shut himself down, and Ballard all but guaranteed he’s a goner as well. Looks like Green Bay and Patriots (surprise, surprise) are taking a strong look at him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/5057911002

38 minutes ago, Myles said:

I mostly agree.

Funchess - I don't know how the relationship has been and what type a guy he is.  Will he feel obligated a little bit to sign here since he collected allot of money for almost no output last year.  I hope they can bring him back.

Ebron - I agree he is gone already.   Just thought he may have changed his mind since Rivers was signed and there would be plenty of yards and TD's to go around.  

Sheard - I'd like to see him brought back, but he may demand too much.

Jonathan Williams - Bummer to see him go if he does.  

Would love to see both Sheard and Williams come back. Both seem like team guys that work hard. Sheard more for leadership and locker room, and I think Williams is underrated. 

Pretty sure Ebron burnt a bridge with the FO, but I'd love to see both sides put business first, and find a way to get a team friendly deal done.

Mixed thoughts on Funchess. I've heard a few talking heads say is value will drop significantly due to the draft depth at WR and nature of his injury. If he's willing to come back for 6 or 7, I wouldn't be mad. I think we need to look for an X in the draft anyway, and if we do, it's likely that either he or Pascal are casualties. 

5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Most likely. Pretty sad in my opinion. I wanted to see him kick the record as a Colt. :Cry:

Wouldn't be shocked if he went to Tampa Bay lol... Heard on Golic and Wingo this morning that a lot of players have approached the Bucs saying they wanted to come play with TB12

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Would love to see both Sheard and Williams come back. Both seem like team guys that work hard. Sheard more for leadership and locker room, and I think Williams is underrated. 

Pretty sure Ebron burnt a bridge with the FO, but I'd love to see both sides put business first, and find a way to get a team friendly deal done.

Mixed thoughts on Funchess. I've heard a few talking heads say is value will drop significantly due to the draft depth at WR and nature of his injury. If he's willing to come back for 6 or 7, I wouldn't be mad. I think we need to look for an X in the draft anyway, and if we do, it's likely that either he or Pascal are casualties. 

I agree with all of that.  

It'd be a shame to see Pascal go.   He was pretty good in a bad situation last year.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I agree with all of that.  

It'd be a shame to see Pascal go.   He was pretty good in a bad situation last year.  

I really like Pascal too. He solid as heck. Not dynamic guy or anything, but just a reliable hard worker with pretty good hands.

I do think we'll keep 6 WRs to start the year, so perhaps all can fit. I kind of see it like the below.

Z & traditional slot

Hilton - lock

Campbell - lock

Fountain - probable, could also land at X but better suited for Z bucket

X & big/bully slot

Pascal - maybe

Funchess - maybe

Draft - maybe (a pure X like a Chase Claypool)

Wildcard - they could get a 6-2ish tweener that could fit either bucket

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Funchess

Ebron

Geathers

Haeg

Inman

Rogers

Sheard

RB Jonathan Williams

Fountain

There are others too.

Funch, Haeg, Inman, and Sheard are the only players of value, IMO.  I think Haeg is having some interest from other teams.  I assume the rest would be available after the draft, if not into TC or after.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Funch, Haeg, Inman, and Sheard are the only players of value, IMO.  I think Haeg is having some interest from other teams.  I assume the rest would be available after the draft, if not into TC or after.

Inman was let go last year (that's who we grabbed him mid year), so not seeing a lot of value, especially with this years class. 

You don't think Ebron has value? And Geathers will absolutely get a look somewhere at least as depth.

Ballard was very quiet about the Buckner and Rivers deals before they hit too... I wouldn’t sleep on him making more moves. Dan Orlovsky said the Rivers move means we want to win now and will continue bringing free agents in to put pieces around him to do so. He’s likely going to have some input on what receivers he wants, and I doubt very seriously he’s ok with TY and a bunch of rookie/second year players on the offense. He’s going to want at least one or two veteran proved receivers, and I don’t blame him... it’s what we need.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Inman was let go last year (that's who we grabbed him mid year), so not seeing a lot of value, especially with this years class. 

You don't think Ebron has value? And Geathers will absolutely get a look somewhere at least as depth.

Yeah, Inman seems to have value with us and nobody else.

I've always thought Geathers was overrated even when healthy.  I just don't see the appeal before the draft.

I've got to wonder how the rest of the NFL perceived Ebron quitting on the team after he was convinced his QB stunk.  Teams might be kicking the tires on Ebron to help provide information to evaluate options in the draft, using Ebron as a plan B.  I can't see him being signed as a needy team's priority before the draft.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've got to wonder how the rest of the NFL perceived Ebron quitting on the team after he was convinced his QB stunk.  Teams might be kicking the tires on Ebron to help provide information to evaluate options in the draft, using Ebron as a plan B.  I can't see him being signed as a needy team's priority before the draft.

Ebron is putting stuff on team and players Instagram and twitter accounts almost desperately. I’m not sure he has much pull. Ballard is pretty well respected in this league, and it was obvious he was not a fan. Go watch the Dan Dakich interview. Ballard was flat out done with Ebron. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, Inman seems to have value with us and nobody else.

I've always thought Geathers was overrated even when healthy.  I just don't see the appeal before the draft.

All the stuff about Ebron is anecdotal IMO... Nobody can prove his ankle wasn't serious enough to warrant surgery at that point. I mean after all, he did actually need surgery. The only argument is, could he have waited, and only Ebron knows for sure the pain level and impact to mobility. Sure GMs and Coaches chat, so his demeanor, etc, may be called out, but I don't think that's enough to keep a TE needy team from considering him. He's a great detached option for a passing first team. 

As someone mentioned this is the period between the waves of signings and historically Ballard has shown patience and has been able to get free agents at a better value.  There will additional cuts by teams as they sign free agents, so there will be players there that appeal to CB, I believe.

And, he's focusing on who he wants to bring back from our roster.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Haeg can play any position on the OL so I would say we should offer him a couple million to be a backup.  

I would have to ask Rivers how he feels about Inman.  He worked with him enough with the Chargers that if Rivers likes the guy I would say bring him back.  If Rivers isn't a huge fan than look at bringing back Funch.  

2 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I think we are going to find that the NFL as a whole is going to be relatively quiet until the league allows players to come back into team facilities to be checked by the team's medical staffs. With the NFL barring players from coming in right now teams are less likely to commit to new deals with players. If you look at the Colts official website they haven't announced the Philip Rivers signing yet because he hasn't been able to come in yet and take his physical. I truly believe that Ballard and his team are working as hard or harder than they normally would this time of year.

They are finding ways around that. Buckner for his physical really quick. Brady is having his physical this morning. I imagine if someone has a injury history they might want to check them by the team doctors. But teams are agreeing on independent doctors and they are getting done.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

They are finding ways around that. Buckner for his physical really quick. Brady is having his physical this morning. I imagine if someone has a injury history they might want to check them by the team doctors. But teams are agreeing on independent doctors and they are getting done.

Where there is money, there is a way.... And the NFL has money lol... 

Folks will need to be creative, but like you said, it's getting done.

35 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Ebron is putting stuff on team and players Instagram and twitter accounts almost desperately. I’m not sure he has much pull. Ballard is pretty well respected in this league, and it was obvious he was not a fan. Go watch the Dan Dakich interview. Ballard was flat out done with Ebron. 

He also tweeted about how much he missed his colts team mates. I bet he wants the colts to take him back now Rivers is here. He burnt bridges how he handled his ankle. 

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We do need to get Rivers more weapons. Funchess would be a great WR for him. He likes those 50/50 balls. I would really like a vet so if a rookie struggles we aren’t in trouble.

I look at it this way. If you have a healthy starting 3 of TY/Campbell/Funch, that's a damn good lineup. Add in a healthy Doyle and Hines catching balls too, and that's a potent 5. 

Too bad "health" was such a factor for those 3 last year. The football gods kinda owe us... 

Add in a rook X, Fountain, an perhaps Pascal, and I'm more than happy. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I look at it this way. If you have a healthy starting 3 of TY/Campbell/Funch, that's a damn good lineup. Add in a healthy Doyle and Hines catching balls too, and that's a potent 5. 

Too bad "health" was such a factor for those 3 last year. The football gods kinda owe us... 

Add in a rook X, Fountain, an perhaps Pascal, and I'm more than happy. 

I don't know what Ballard will be thinking but I would like him to draft Kmet if at all possible. 

Maybe if he is there at #44? 

3 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

It's all quiet everywhere. Drive around town and it's like having free reign of a post apocalyptic world  

Everywhere except Walmart. 

I went there day before yesterday and it was a mad house. 

No meat, no butt wipe, no can goods and no cleaning supplies. 

Archived