Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Winners and Losers (including trades)

With the official start to the new NFL year upon us and all the agreed to deals the past two days.  Who do you think were the Winners and Losers so far?  I haven't had time to look at all the moves and what teams lost or gained the most, but I'm sure some of you keep tabs on the entire league better than I do.

Obviously, the Texans can be considered losers at this point with the Hopkins deal and Reader leaving.

Texans are definitely the #1 losers. I think the Vikings are losers too. It seems like we are rebuilding. We have lost CB Xavier Rhodes, DT Linval Joseph, DE Everson Griffen, G Josh Kline, WR Stefon Diggs, and CB Trae Waynes, not to mention some depth players. We may also lose S Anthony Harris and CB Mackenzie Alexander. That is A LOT of starters to lose. And we extended Cousins. :scorebad:

We did acquire lots of draft picks for Diggs. That's the only positive.

22 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dolphins spent some money and they still have a lot of draft picks. 

Dolphins have done a really nice job on the D side of the ball in FA. With all of their draft picks, I could see them competing for the AFCE. Should be wide open.

@NFLfan I knew the Vikings were losing som players, but didn't realize how many until you listed them.  Hopefully, their draft can help make up for that, but it does appear there's some rebuilding going on in Minnesota.

I agree with others that the Dolphins got better on defense and with the draft, they could make some noise in the AFC East now that the perennial king has been dethroned.

Not to be a homer, but we've had the best off-season thus far. The Dolphins have signed some solid guys that will help them out like Byron Jones, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, Kyle Van Noy, Jordan Howard and Ereck Flowers.......

Colts Four Major Needs:  LT, QB, DT, WR

Anthony Castonzo re-signed - check - solidifies one of, if not the top offensive lines in the league

Phillip Rivers signed - check - might have had a down year but the competitive fire is still there and an immense knowledge of the playbook is there plus the savvy to hit his 3rd progression and/or throw someone open in addition to being able to play action pass (off of the 5th best running games in the league) for some chunk yardage

Brenston Buckner traded for - check - our monster of the midway signed to a long term contract and the engine that runs the Tampa 2 - this instantly makes our linebacking corps 'faster' to the ball as well as the defensive backs don't have to cover for 4-5 seconds anymore and it frees up Houston/Banogu/Turay/Autry/Lewis/Muhammad to get around the edge quicker. He is our Warren Sapp

That leaves two second round picks to shore up the receiving corps with options like Higgins, Jefferson, Mims, Hamler, Aiyuk, Claypool, Reagor, Shinault and Jacobs all possibly available. Ideally I'd love to draft another Z as well as an X so T.Y. could go to the slot fulltime and get off the line untouched 99% of the time - which will reduce some wear and tear

8 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

@NFLfan I knew the Vikings were losing som players, but didn't realize how many until you listed them.  Hopefully, their draft can help make up for that, but it does appear there's some rebuilding going on in Minnesota.

It's pretty bad.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, Barry Sears said:

With the official start to the new NFL year upon us and all the agreed to deals the past two days.  Who do you think were the Winners and Losers so far?  I haven't had time to look at all the moves and what teams lost or gained the most, but I'm sure some of you keep tabs on the entire league better than I do.

Obviously, the Texans can be considered losers at this point with the Hopkins deal and Reader leaving.

Anybody agree Houston is gonna be garbage this year?.

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It's pretty bad.

Wow...makes you wonder what their FO is thinking?

15 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Not to be a homer, but we've had the best off-season thus far. The Dolphins have signed some solid guys that will help them out like Byron Jones, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, Kyle Van Noy, Jordan Howard and Ereck Flowers.......

Colts Four Major Needs:  LT, QB, DT, WR

Anthony Castonzo re-signed - check - solidifies one of, if not the top offensive lines in the league

Phillip Rivers signed - check - might have had a down year but the competitive fire is still there and an immense knowledge of the playbook is there plus the savvy to hit his 3rd progression and/or throw someone open in addition to being able to play action pass (off of the 5th best running games in the league) for some chunk yardage

Brenston Buckner traded for - check - our monster of the midway signed to a long term contract and the engine that runs the Tampa 2 - this instantly makes our linebacking corps 'faster' to the ball as well as the defensive backs don't have to cover for 4-5 seconds anymore and it frees up Houston/Banogu/Turay/Autry/Lewis/Muhammad to get around the edge quicker. He is our Warren Sapp

That leaves two second round picks to shore up the receiving corps with options like Higgins, Jefferson, Mims, Hamler, Aiyuk, Claypool, Reagor, Shinault and Jacobs all possibly available. Ideally I'd love to draft another Z as well as an X so T.Y. could go to the slot fulltime and get off the line untouched 99% of the time - which will reduce some wear and tear

I agree that we're one of the Winners so far.

Archived