Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Non First Round QB's

For the sake of argument (and discussion) which of the following and the rounds they are "projected" to go in fit the mold of a Colts QB?

2nd Round - Jacob Eason, Washington

3rd Round - Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma

Jake Fromm, Georgia

4th Round - Anthony Gordon, Washington State

James Morgan, FIU

I see merits for all of them, and warts for all of them as well. The question is, which one would 'fit' the accurate, semi-mobile, quick release, fearless QB that can also stretch the field with his arm kind of QB?

Eason and Morgan provide the best arm strength and more prototypical size

Gordan the quickest release

Hurts and Fromm the most mobile

Fromm and Gordon the most accurate but also can't make all the throws

All in all in order to ensure they got their QB it would almost seem like it would have to be Eason at 34 since it's the 2nd pick of Day 2 and he is probably the best clay for the coaching staff and Rivers to mold.

Then WR at 44?

Who the heck knows anyways????? LOL

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think Gordon goes before Fromm. I also think Love may drop to the 2nd depending on some of the FA landing spots.

I hope Love is gone before the Colts pick...can't stand the pothead.

Fromm is just another game manager...mediocre in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

I hope Love is gone before the Colts pick...can't stand the pothead.

Fromm is just another game manager...mediocre in the NFL.

If you dislike him simply because he smoked weed, there's a lot of players on the Colts you don't like then. 

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

For the sake of argument (and discussion) which of the following and the rounds they are "projected" to go in fit the mold of a Colts QB?

Jake Fromm, Georgia

James Morgan, FIU

I see merits for all of them, and warts for all of them as well. The question is, which one would 'fit' the accurate, semi-mobile, quick release, fearless QB that can also stretch the field with his arm kind of QB?

All in all in order to ensure they got their QB it would almost seem like it would have to be Eason at 34 since it's the 2nd pick of Day 2 and he is probably the best clay for the coaching staff and Rivers to mold.

Then WR at 44?

This is exactly what I want.  Eason at 34, then WR at 44.  Maybe a tight end in round 3.

Remember when Lawrence Taylor would play games beyond high on Cocaine? The potheads in pro sports. I chuckled. 

I haven't watched much tape on the later round guys, but if 4 guys go round one and there's 4 or 5 guys who people still like enough to not let drop terribly far, teams either have to be comfortable with the lottery ticket nature of picking these guys or they're going to get burned. It's a numbers game.

I really like Anthony Gordon.  I drove up to WSU to scout him because a family member goes there. Got a chance to talk to him.  Very smart, well spoken guy.  Football junkie.  Has a lightening release and great accuracy and touch.  Gordon and Fromm are my favorites from this class.  

I'm sorry but Morgan is not a 4th round QB, he's a 6th round to Priority free agent at best.

I've been talking up Gordon for a while now and I think he will be the Colts pick on the 3rd round.  2nd round will be another DT to rotate with Stewart or Buckner and a TE/WR whomever is available.  3rd round Gordon and 4th round will be on a RB, IMO.

Although, if the Colts went Fromm, I would not be upset, but I do like Gordon better.

I think Gordon’s quick release would fit this offense really well. Just don’t know much about his arm strength. 

Fromm has all the tools above the shoulders but can he make all the throws. I think he would hold this offense back.

Eason has the big arm but doesn’t handle pressure well. I do think that is something that can be coached. Rumor awhile back he is the colts target. Which would make sense once they got rid of that 13th pick. The rumor said they thought they could get him in the 17 to 20 range. So that could be where they trade up to. 

Morgans accuracy is bad. 

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If you dislike him simply because he smoked weed, there's a lot of players on the Colts you don't like then. 

Weed is not the problem...I just call him "Pothead Love" because it fits.

He has a lot of flaws that may not be correctable in the NFL.

"Needs to improve his field vision and awareness. Often fails to recognize or completely disregards coverage rotations and it doesn’t have a great enough impact on his decision making. He throws some careless, YOLO balls that need to be reduced. While there is a lot to like about his willingness to be patient and stay in the pocket, his internal clock is often tardy. Can be aggressive vertically to fault. Has to find more consistency with timing and progressions. Has general accuracy with plenty of misfires."

I just don't want us to spend years on a younger version of Jacoby Brissett.

3 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

"Needs to improve his field vision and awareness. Often fails to recognize or completely disregards coverage rotations and it doesn’t have a great enough impact on his decision making. He throws some careless, YOLO balls that need to be reduced. While there is a lot to like about his willingness to be patient and stay in the pocket, his internal clock is often tardy. Can be aggressive vertically to fault. Has to find more consistency with timing and progressions. Has general accuracy with plenty of misfires."

Willing to bet this review of Love is based on 2019 and not his wildly successful 2018 season when his TD/INT ratio was 32/6. 

I think there is a ton of misinformation and misinterpretation on this kid.   I hope he does well wherever he gets picked. 

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Willing to bet this review of Love is based on 2019 and not his wildly successful 2018 season when his TD/INT ratio was 32/6. 

I think there is a ton of misinformation and misinterpretation on this kid.   I hope he does well wherever he gets picked. 

From watching a lot of his games (the abbreviated versions that show all throws and runs from the QB), I think a lot of the misinformation comes from his 2018 season.  in 2018 he played in an Air Raid system throwing a lot to a predetermined receiver.  And when you look at his numbers compared to other QBs in an air-raid system the 32/6 are actually average numbers.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm sorry but Morgan is not a 4th round QB, he's a 6th round to Priority free agent at best.

I've been talking up Gordon for a while now and I think he will be the Colts pick on the 3rd round.  2nd round will be another DT to rotate with Stewart or Buckner and a TE/WR whomever is available.  3rd round Gordon and 4th round will be on a RB, IMO.

Although, if the Colts went Fromm, I would not be upset, but I do like Gordon better.

dont see us reaching for any qb in this draft class

5 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

I just don't want us to spend years on a younger version of Jacoby Brissett.

If you saw JB play in college and compare it to Love, there are huge differences. And you have to look at the last two years, just not the last. A lot of what reviews say about Love, are the same concerns they had with Mahomes, who they compared to some bad QBs, and thought has a late 1st to mid 2nd. It's all relative.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, EastStreet said:

Major difference. Love getting caught 2 days after announcing for the NFL draft  a week before a bowl game.  Yeah...big difference. If he was a running back....who cares. But a possible leader of your franchise making that type of decision. Big red flag.

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Major difference. Love getting caught 2 days after announcing for the NFL draft  a week before a bowl game.  Yeah...big difference. If he was a running back....who cares. But a possible leader of your franchise making that type of decision. Big red flag.

I'll put it this way. I have friends in Knoxville that spent time on the board at UT, as well as some pretty big boosters (I had season tix for many years), and some people you think are exemplary have made plenty of mistakes. I also was around a lot of Colts players in the mid 80s as a kid, hung with some in the early and mid 90s before moving, and I'll just say your assumptions of what a lot of players do and how they act, are probably a bit off. I'll leave it at that. 

Things certainly might be different these days, but I doubt it's too far off. You also need to consider attitudes on weed in general these days. In a lot of states (I've traveled and lived in a lot of different places domestically and internationally) weed is as common as booze, and there is much less stigma with it, especially with the sub 40 generation. It's why states are one by one legalizing (likely will be a national flip in the next 5 years), and why the new CBA won't even suspend anymore for a positive test. 

But I do agree, it was a poor decision. At the same time, I don't know about you, but I made plenty of stupid decisions as a kid, many in college lol... Show me a kid that doesn't, and I'll show you a unicorn. 

One last thing.. From the reports I read, his blood level was tested and was said to be from past use, not that night, which means it may have not been the timing your suggest. No drugs or other stuff found. Doesn't really matter IMO. Poor decision, and you either trust that he learned form it, or you don't. Given he has one or two cops as parents, I'm sure he heard enough. 

Fromm may be a lot of things, but "mobile" is not one of them. Hurts, yes; the others, not so much.

Eason IMO has the highest ceiling--he's kind of a "discount Justin Herbert" with just as strong an arm. Personally I feel #34 is too high for him, especially given some of the WRs, TEs and even DLs who are likely to be available at that spot.

If Eason fell to #44, on the other hand, I'd definitely think long and hard about picking him--first round arm talent on a second round rookie contract.

19 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

a lot of us old men smoked weed in the sixties, pot is not a new thing son.

That's awesome. Why you acting so weird about a kid smoking weed then and referring to him as a "pothead" ? You realize a majority of the league smokes weed, right? Way better for them to do than to shovel down pain pills that team DRs love to throw at them.

On 3/17/2020 at 6:20 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Jake Fromm, Georgia

James Morgan, FIU

Then WR at 44?

Fromm isn't very moble.  But he's probably the most ready to play out of the gate.  Problem is that his ceiling seems low.  It's questionable if he will have enough zip on the ball to beat defenders on things like out routes.

I would be kind of a fan of Easton actually.  Not that Love is completely off the table but Easton while he doesn't have the ceiling that Love has seems to have a fairly high ceiling and his flaws seem less extensive than Love's.  

Love is swinging for the fences.  Huge physical talent but so many flaws his game that could kill him at this level that it's questionable if he will be able to overcome them.  

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

That's awesome. Why you acting so weird about a kid smoking weed then and referring to him as a "pothead" ? You realize a majority of the league smokes weed, right? Way better for them to do than to shovel down pain pills that team DRs love to throw at them.

i did not say anyone was a pothead you have me mixed up with someone else check my posts

Archived