Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning Vs Matt Barkley Vs Andrew Luck

Fr33UpFr33ney

I've always preferred Barkley to Luck. Kind of wish he didn't stay his senior year.

So that he could have been drafted by Seattle? The reason he stayed is because he knew he would be the 3rd QB drafted this year.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched every game he played this year that was available, and reviewed and watched all the game tape I could find on him, and It's not a big part of his game. It is in Barkley's game and Mannings when he was in college. but not Luck's.

People who scout for a living will disagree with you on that.

One thing that struck me when viewing the 3 videos was that Peyton seemed to be the most likely to leave the pocket and run.

2011 rushing attempts:

Luck at Stanford: 47

RG3 at Baylor: 179

Barkley at USC: 28

2010 rushing attempts:

Luck at Stanford: 55

RG3 at Baylor: 149

Barkley at USC: 34

1997 rushing attempts:

Peyton Manning at Tennessee: 49

1996 rushing attempts

Peyton Manning at Tennessee: 42

1982 rushing attempts:

John Elway at Stanford: 59

In hopes he would be the dark horse pick by us.

That would be one of the worst decisions in the history of the draft. Barkley has Woods and Lee to throw to, but he doesn't have skills that are comparable to Luck. RG3 would have definitely been picked before him as well. The only thing that would have changed is Washington wouldn't have spent so much to move up.

2011 rushing attempts:

Luck at Stanford: 47

RG3 at Baylor: 179

Barkley at USC: 28

2010 rushing attempts:

Luck at Stanford: 55

RG3 at Baylor: 149

Barkley at USC: 34

1997 rushing attempts:

Peyton Manning at Tennessee: 49

1996 rushing attempts

Peyton Manning at Tennessee: 42

1982 rushing attempts:

John Elway at Stanford: 59

That's interesting.

It also makes me not want RG3 even more. I still relate him to Cunningham.

I watched every game he played this year that was available, and reviewed and watched all the game tape I could find on him, and It's not a big part of his game. It is in Barkley's game and Mannings when he was in college. but not Luck's.

I give you a whole game tape and you show me a 10 second redzone play against a cover 2 scheme which is terrible for the redzone.

Where do you get game tape from?

That's interesting.

It also makes me not want RG3 even more. I still relate him to Cunningham.

The good thing about historical numbers is that they do not lie.

People can try to frame them this way or that, but the numbers are there for everyone to look at.

Some may try to frame RG3 as a pass-first QB, but the comparative numbers show a different story.

Ugh wish I didn't see this video watched first 5 mins and didn't look pretty one that should have been picked in endzone, got his rb killed, then was intercepted. Saw him hit 2 wide open wr's but then those are expected. I hope Luck is what most think .... must admit was worried a bit before I saw this and this made it worse.

I saw 1 bad decision where he threw off his back foot and it was almost picked in the endzone. Other than that I have no idea why this video worries you. This video should worry defensive coordinators around the league, Luck played a great game and was under constant pressure. Those 1 read plays were executed correctly, Manning used to go to 1 read plays when under constant pressure or was in a true hurry up. Its what's needed in that situation, you don't have time to look at all options. Like Manning, Luck was reading the defense to tell who was going to be open before the snap.

god forbid if the guy has one meh game...I mean, do i have to go hunt around for tape of manning looking human back in the day?

Actually considering the competition, I think this game was One of Lucks Best Games. Compared to Oregon and USC which I thought were meh games for Luck, He did very well in this game. Luck and RG III pro days are this week so we will hear a lot of hop lah.

BTW, to the earlier poster, you can find game tape on Youtube or draftbreakdown.com.

People can try to frame them this way or that, but the numbers are there for everyone to look at.

Some may try to frame RG3 as a pass-first QB, but the comparative numbers show a different story.

To amplify this, college scramblers default to breaking out of the pocket all too fast when they get to the NFL and have issue adjusting to the speed of the NFL. That kid is gonna get hurt.

I don't know how you can say he is run first. He only runs 1-2 ratio to passing.

Vick ran 2-3 ratio, Tebow was a 2-3 ratio, and Cam Newton was almost a 1-1.

Although Peyton had a 13-1 pass/run ratio. Luck a 10-1, Tom a 7-1 and Elway a 4-1.

You can't really say he is run first. I would say RG3 is more a McNabb guy. Prefers to throw, but runs when he has to.

I don't know how you can say he is run first. He only runs 1-2 ratio to passing.

Vick ran 2-3 ratio, Tebow was a 2-3 ratio, and Cam Newton was almost a 1-1.

Although Peyton had a 13-1 pass/run ratio. Luck a 10-1, Tom a 7-1 and Elway a 4-1.

You can't really say he is run first.

I can say he runs a lot more than other pocket passers.

Compare his 2010, and 2011 rush attempts against those of Andrew Luck, or Matt Barkley, of Peyton Manning (in his last year at Tennessee), of John Elway (in his last year at Stanford).

RG3 runs about 3 times as often than these other passers. OK, maybe not run first, but certainly runs often

Just curious; Am I the only one that keeps capitalizing the "L" when I type the word "luck"? As in, lucky, not Andrew Luck. I have to fix it everytime I use the word.

As far as I have noticed, yes.

You really should get over him. I know you dislike him because you think he is responsible for PM being a Bronco instead of a Colt.

It's not his fault.

I can say he runs a lot more than other pocket passers.

Compare his 2010, and 2011 rush attempts against those of Andrew Luck, or Matt Barkley, of Peyton Manning (in his last year at Tennessee), of John Elway (in his last year at Stanford).

RG3 runs about 3 times as often than these other passers. OK, maybe not run first, but certainly runs often

He runs as much as Donovan McNabb. McNabb is in the top 25 passing stats.

You really should get over him. I know you dislike him because you think he is responsible for PM being a Bronco instead of a Colt.

It's not his fault.

How does that have to do with Peyton? I think anyone you labeled as a Peyton lover in your mind you look to say negative when they mention Luck. You should get over it.

He runs as much as Donovan McNabb. McNabb is in the top 25 passing stats.

How does that have to do with Peyton? I think anyone you labeled as a Peyton lover in your mind you look to say negative when they mention Luck. You should get over it.

I agree, he assumed this thread was Anti Luck as soon as I posted it. He I posted three vids each at least 10 minutes long and he posted a vid of his one 2 minutes after I posted mines, so I know he didn't watch it first.

uhh, I see a bunch of three step drops, staring at one reciever and throwing a ball to a specific player.

I do see him keep the game going with his feet, he's not using his eyes

OK, look at the play at 0:22, you see his head look off and come back for the throw.

Look at the play at 0:45, same thing

Look at the play at 1:19, same thing.

Don't waste your time. People are only going to see what they want to see. It doesn't matter that every scout and GM thinks that Luck is the most pro ready quarterback, meaning that he does all of the little things that pros do already in the NFL, including using his eyes to move the defense. All that matters to them is tha A) It's Lucks fault that Manning is gone B) Because Luck is so good, we should leverage his talents for more picks by trading him away.

Don't waste your time. People are only going to see what they want to see. It doesn't matter that every scout and GM thinks that Luck is the most pro ready quarterback, meaning that he does all of the little things that pros do already in the NFL, including using his eyes to move the defense. All that matters to them is tha A) It's Lucks fault that Manning is gone B) Because Luck is so good, we should leverage his talents for more picks by trading him away.

You are probably right. There is no use in providing evidence that counters their perception of reality. Because, as you correctly pointed out, they will see only what they want to see and disregard anything that may be contrary to that. Irsay probably foresaw this in his tweet that provided the lyrics to Paul Simon's The Boxer.

You would think that they would accept that Peyton Manning is no longer a Colt by now.

You would think that they would understand that Luck had no influence on why PM is no longer a Colt.

I guess that would be expecting people to be rational. :sigh:

It's not his fault.

You mean the "Questionmark Kid"....AKA Andrew Luck? I've never said 1 bad word about him. I blame Irsay 100% for whats happened and the impending years of downtrodden game-play.

You mean the "Questionmark Kid"....AKA Andrew Luck? I've never said 1 bad word about him. I blame Irsay 100% for whats happened and the impending years of downtrodden game-play.

Ahh, I must have been mistaken. I thought I read that if it were not for that kid, PM would still be a Colt.

I must be growing old.

Ahh, I must have been mistaken. I thought I read that if it were not for that kid, PM would still be a Colt.

I must be growing old.

Well it's because of his availability that Peyton's gone. But it's not his fault. I like the kid, actually. Irsay's the boss and nobody should "booo" Luck because of Irsay's arrogant gamble. It wasn't Andrew that lied to the fans.

I would say 98% of his plays are predetermined. He gets to choose from among which plays to call at the LOS. Only if the pocket breaks down does he improvise.

I watched one Stanford game this past year. You seem to have seen as many as anyone I can identify on this forum. Luck's positive attributes have been expounded by many in print and video and are well documented. Knowing that no one is perfect and all have weaknesses. Do you have any insight and are you able to indentify and detail the areas that Andrew will struggle with the most or have to spend the most effort in which to improve?

BTW you are getting older. One day at a time.

I watched one Stanford game this past year. You seem to have seen as many as anyone I can identify on this forum. Luck's positive attributes have been expounded by many in print and video and are well documented. Knowing that no one is perfect and all have weaknesses. Do you have any insight and are you able to indentify and detail the areas that Andrew will struggle with the most or have to spend the most effort in which to improve?

BTW you are getting older. One day at a time.

1) He is too confident in his ability to squeeze the ball in between double coverage. Granted, he is very good at placing the ball exactly where it needs to be, but that kind of confidence could lead to INTs.

2) He needs more work on not patting the ball (even Manning does this from time to time), and signalling when he is about to throw it.

3) He needs to put in more time with the non-starting receivers/TEs, to get chemistry with them. Because, more often than not, injuries will press them onto the field.

4) He needs to harness that intensity that he gets when he gets mad and use it for every down.

1) He is too confident in his ability to squeeze the ball in between double coverage. Granted, he is very good at placing the ball exactly where it needs to be, but that kind of confidence could lead to INTs.

2) He needs more work on not patting the ball (even Manning does this from time to time), and signalling when he is about to throw it.

3) He needs to put in more time with the non-starting receivers/TEs, to get chemistry with them. Because, more often than not, injuries will press them onto the field.

4) He needs to harness that intensity that he gets when he gets mad and use it for every down.

I haven't seen that in years. Show me where he does this. Then make that claim. This is one thing Peyton obsessed over not doing.