Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy trade idea: Brissett and a second to NE for JC Jackson


Recommended Posts

I like Jackson as a starting CB.  he's tough, aggressive, quick, and isn't afraid of contact.  I'd love to peel him away from the Patriots, and he's currently playing behind the McCourty brothers and Jonathan Jones.  I think he could play higher on our depth chart and our CB group could, quite frankly, use a serious talent infusion.

 

Meanwhile, the Patriots, who liked Brissett back in the day, need a QB rather badly and would be a good target for a salary dump.  IF, and this is a big IF, they believe in Jarrett Stidham, a backup of Brissett's caliber makes a ton of sense to grab as insurance, and Brissett's a guy they've worked with before.

 

Of course you do have to sweeten the deal, which is why I threw in a second, Brissett doesn't have a ton of present value and JC Jackson has some attention around the league after playing decently in SB53, but with the Rivers signing Brissett has no role in Indianapolis since we have Kelly and Hoyer already poised to fight for the job as longterm backups..  Sending him somewhere where he could at least be the QB2 would be kindness.

 

I'm sure folks will put a lot of holes in the idea but IMHO the notion holds water for both sides, giving each side something they need in exchange for something they want.  We clear some salary and pick up a solid young CB, they pick up a pick and a QB they're familiar with.

 

Thoughts?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

I like Jackson as a starting CB.  he's tough, aggressive, quick, and isn't afraid of contact.  I'd love to peel him away from the Patriots, and he's currently playing behind the McCourty brothers and Jonathan Jones.  I think he could play higher on our depth chart and our CB group could, quite frankly, use a serious talent infusion.

 

Meanwhile, the Patriots, who liked Brissett back in the day, need a QB rather badly and would be a good target for a salary dump.  IF, and this is a big IF, they believe in Jarrett Stidham, a backup of Brissett's caliber makes a ton of sense to grab as insurance, and Brissett's a guy they've worked with before.

 

Of course you do have to sweeten the deal, which is why I threw in a second, Brissett doesn't have a ton of present value and JC Jackson has some attention around the league after playing decently in SB53, but with the Rivers signing Brissett has no role in Indianapolis since we have Kelly and Hoyer already poised to fight for the job as longterm backups..  Sending him somewhere where he could at least be the QB2 would be kindness.

 

I'm sure folks will put a lot of holes in the idea but IMHO the notion holds water for both sides, giving each side something they need in exchange for something they want.  We clear some salary and pick up a solid young CB, they pick up a pick and a QB they're familiar with.

 

Thoughts?

Make it a package deal...Brissett and Hoyer.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I like Jackson as a starting CB.  he's tough, aggressive, quick, and isn't afraid of contact.  I'd love to peel him away from the Patriots, and he's currently playing behind the McCourty brothers and Jonathan Jones.  I think he could play higher on our depth chart and our CB group could, quite frankly, use a serious talent infusion.

 

Meanwhile, the Patriots, who liked Brissett back in the day, need a QB rather badly and would be a good target for a salary dump.  IF, and this is a big IF, they believe in Jarrett Stidham, a backup of Brissett's caliber makes a ton of sense to grab as insurance, and Brissett's a guy they've worked with before.

 

Of course you do have to sweeten the deal, which is why I threw in a second, Brissett doesn't have a ton of present value and JC Jackson has some attention around the league after playing decently in SB53, but with the Rivers signing Brissett has no role in Indianapolis since we have Kelly and Hoyer already poised to fight for the job as longterm backups..  Sending him somewhere where he could at least be the QB2 would be kindness.

 

I'm sure folks will put a lot of holes in the idea but IMHO the notion holds water for both sides, giving each side something they need in exchange for something they want.  We clear some salary and pick up a solid young CB, they pick up a pick and a QB they're familiar with.

 

Thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea to me.  Not sure it will happen that way, but I do see Brissett ending up back on the Pat's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ojsglove said:

Sounds like a great idea to me.  Not sure it will happen that way, but I do see Brissett ending up back on the Pat's.

Well, at least he has those short crossing patterns and checkdowns well-practiced.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The Pats know JB, that's why they ditched him in the first place.

JB would still be a great backup but it would be awkward if he stayed here now after starting last year. He could actually start for the Bears because Trubisky isn't any better IMO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

NE got four compensatory picks. If they want Jacoby back maybe they would be willing to give one of those 3rd rounders up. Then that could be a good pick to package to move back into the first for a QB.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is, I want Jackson.  This isn't about getting rid of JB, Brissett is just in the deal because the patriots have reason to want him as a throw in.  The core of the trade would be a pick for an excellent  young CB with enormous potential.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

JB back to Pats is not a bad thought. I would trade him back for a draft pick. Doubt he would fetch more than a #3. I would like to stockpile another extra pick to fill other needs

 

There is no way in Hades Jacoby Brissett will net a third round pick...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheMiz said:

There is no way in Hades Jacoby Brissett will net a third round pick...

 

That's what I thought, except one of the better NFL insiders yesterday said that the Colts wouldn't part with him for less than a 2nd rounder because he's a good back up and he's a great guy in the locker room.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheMiz said:

There is no way in Hades Jacoby Brissett will net a third round pick...

If the pats took him back they have a lot of third round picks. They ended up with s bunch of compensatory picks. I could see it if they were the ones who took him back.

 

I think Ballard will do the right thing for him. Because we could just eat it he will make sure he goes to a good situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If the pats took him back they have a lot of third round picks. They ended up with s bunch of compensatory picks. I could see it if they were the ones who took him back.

 

I think Ballard will do the right thing for him. Because we could just eat it he will make sure he goes to a good situation.

 

Sweet Jesus...

 

Ballard 1) is not going into the the 2020 season with a $45 million cap hit just in the QB position between Brissett and Rivers and 2) he will trade Brissett for a ham sandwich at this point.  His job is to do what's best for the Colts.

 

And the Pats will not be giving up a 3rd round pick to take Brissett back.  Nor will anyone else in the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How wild would it be if we did trade away more picks for players lol. Ballard goes from "Use cap to pay our own" and trading back for draft capital to trading away pics and signing big money to outside players. Not making this sound like a bad thing, but that'd be something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that you like Jackson, but I think you might be overpaying a bit.  Brissett and a second to bring a good-not-great player into a crowded room is too much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont see a 3rd for JB...... after this last year

 

Just curious....

 

To the board CAPOLOGISTS........What is the hit to a new team IF we were to trade him?

 

We would still be on the hook for a % that came from signing bonus

 

Said another way..... if we found someone to trade with...... 

 

What would the hit be to each team?

 

If JB would only cost a new team in trade 6Mil.........  He MIGHT have value to someone that needs a backup QB

 

 

Backup QBs that arent starters....... usually dont command a big trade

 

Maybe a 5th?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Ok .  So if Brissett is too expensive as a backup here.  Why would another team pay him that money as a backup there?

To get a second round pick, and because a borderline starter is a good thing to have behind a virtual rookie like Stidham.

 

This whole thing assumes the Pats aren't going to sign Andy Dalton, if they do,  the scenari obviously changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

To get a second round pick, and because a borderline starter is a good thing to have behind a virtual rookie like Stidham.

 

This whole thing assumes the Pats aren't going to sign Andy Dalton, if they do,  the scenari obviously changes.

Ok sorry I am not understanding the 2nd round pick part . Maybe I missed something

Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't have much cap space now, doubt they want that contract.  Going to be interesting to see what move they do make for a qb.  It might might have to be in the draft

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...