Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy trade idea: Brissett and a second to NE for JC Jackson

Imgrandojji

I like Jackson as a starting CB.  he's tough, aggressive, quick, and isn't afraid of contact.  I'd love to peel him away from the Patriots, and he's currently playing behind the McCourty brothers and Jonathan Jones.  I think he could play higher on our depth chart and our CB group could, quite frankly, use a serious talent infusion.

Meanwhile, the Patriots, who liked Brissett back in the day, need a QB rather badly and would be a good target for a salary dump.  IF, and this is a big IF, they believe in Jarrett Stidham, a backup of Brissett's caliber makes a ton of sense to grab as insurance, and Brissett's a guy they've worked with before.

Of course you do have to sweeten the deal, which is why I threw in a second, Brissett doesn't have a ton of present value and JC Jackson has some attention around the league after playing decently in SB53, but with the Rivers signing Brissett has no role in Indianapolis since we have Kelly and Hoyer already poised to fight for the job as longterm backups..  Sending him somewhere where he could at least be the QB2 would be kindness.

I'm sure folks will put a lot of holes in the idea but IMHO the notion holds water for both sides, giving each side something they need in exchange for something they want.  We clear some salary and pick up a solid young CB, they pick up a pick and a QB they're familiar with.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

I like Jackson as a starting CB.  he's tough, aggressive, quick, and isn't afraid of contact.  I'd love to peel him away from the Patriots, and he's currently playing behind the McCourty brothers and Jonathan Jones.  I think he could play higher on our depth chart and our CB group could, quite frankly, use a serious talent infusion.

Meanwhile, the Patriots, who liked Brissett back in the day, need a QB rather badly and would be a good target for a salary dump.  IF, and this is a big IF, they believe in Jarrett Stidham, a backup of Brissett's caliber makes a ton of sense to grab as insurance, and Brissett's a guy they've worked with before.

Of course you do have to sweeten the deal, which is why I threw in a second, Brissett doesn't have a ton of present value and JC Jackson has some attention around the league after playing decently in SB53, but with the Rivers signing Brissett has no role in Indianapolis since we have Kelly and Hoyer already poised to fight for the job as longterm backups..  Sending him somewhere where he could at least be the QB2 would be kindness.

I'm sure folks will put a lot of holes in the idea but IMHO the notion holds water for both sides, giving each side something they need in exchange for something they want.  We clear some salary and pick up a solid young CB, they pick up a pick and a QB they're familiar with.

Thoughts?

Make it a package deal...Brissett and Hoyer.

34 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea to me.  Not sure it will happen that way, but I do see Brissett ending up back on the Pat's.

16 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

JB back to Pats is not a bad thought. I would trade him back for a draft pick. Doubt he would fetch more than a #3. I would like to stockpile another extra pick to fill other needs

There is no way in Hades Jacoby Brissett will net a third round pick...

11 hours ago, TheMiz said:

That's what I thought, except one of the better NFL insiders yesterday said that the Colts wouldn't part with him for less than a 2nd rounder because he's a good back up and he's a great guy in the locker room.

12 hours ago, TheMiz said:

If the pats took him back they have a lot of third round picks. They ended up with s bunch of compensatory picks. I could see it if they were the ones who took him back.

I think Ballard will do the right thing for him. Because we could just eat it he will make sure he goes to a good situation.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If the pats took him back they have a lot of third round picks. They ended up with s bunch of compensatory picks. I could see it if they were the ones who took him back.

I think Ballard will do the right thing for him. Because we could just eat it he will make sure he goes to a good situation.

Sweet Jesus...

Ballard 1) is not going into the the 2020 season with a $45 million cap hit just in the QB position between Brissett and Rivers and 2) he will trade Brissett for a ham sandwich at this point.  His job is to do what's best for the Colts.

And the Pats will not be giving up a 3rd round pick to take Brissett back.  Nor will anyone else in the league.

How wild would it be if we did trade away more picks for players lol. Ballard goes from "Use cap to pay our own" and trading back for draft capital to trading away pics and signing big money to outside players. Not making this sound like a bad thing, but that'd be something.

I dont see a 3rd for JB...... after this last year

Just curious....

To the board CAPOLOGISTS........What is the hit to a new team IF we were to trade him?

We would still be on the hook for a % that came from signing bonus

Said another way..... if we found someone to trade with...... 

What would the hit be to each team?

If JB would only cost a new team in trade 6Mil.........  He MIGHT have value to someone that needs a backup QB

Backup QBs that arent starters....... usually dont command a big trade

Maybe a 5th?

4 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Ok .  So if Brissett is too expensive as a backup here.  Why would another team pay him that money as a backup there?

To get a second round pick, and because a borderline starter is a good thing to have behind a virtual rookie like Stidham.

This whole thing assumes the Pats aren't going to sign Andy Dalton, if they do,  the scenari obviously changes.

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

To get a second round pick, and because a borderline starter is a good thing to have behind a virtual rookie like Stidham.

This whole thing assumes the Pats aren't going to sign Andy Dalton, if they do,  the scenari obviously changes.

Ok sorry I am not understanding the 2nd round pick part . Maybe I missed something

Archived