Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard switched it up

csmopar

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

Now the ? Is what free agent receiver will he grab, thoughts

He could also re-sign Funchess or look to the draft which is loaded.

If Chris intends to sign a free agent I hope he would consider the likes of Emmanuel Sanders, Taylor Gabriel or Robby Anderson.  To be honest there aren't a lot of options.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

Now the ? Is what free agent receiver will he grab, thoughts

I am not liking any of the names available.  Honestly Funchess is the best name available.

If he is going to get one it likely comes in the draft.

34 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

He's said he's not afraid to make those kinds of moves....just had to wait until the right time and make sure the locker room can handle it. This is him saying it's time. 

Yep. He strongly felt this team was good enough to make the playoffs last year and he wasn't going to watch another year go by to build for "later" because he believed the roster was good enough to win "now" and didn't want to miss the playoffs 3 out of 4 years under his watch. 

Division contenders, absolutely yes with these moves. SB contenders, crazy things have happened with a few breaks, we will see. But for now, I think we should be the top 2 favorites to win the AFC South along with the Titans.

42 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ballard, known for sticking to his guns and building through the draft, just switched it up with two huge, splashy moves this week. 

thoughts?

ballard is proving he's a complete GM, who can attack a problem more than 1 way.

There's a time to fold and a time to go all in.  Ballard has proven he knows the difference between the two.

Make no mistake this is not a 7-9 team, we had a run of insanely bad luck, and before that we were fighting for the #2 seed.  Being a buyer was the right call.

Not too happy about Rivers, because I personally consider him extremely unreliable in pressure situations, but at least I see what Ballard is trying to do.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. He strongly felt this team was good enough to make the playoffs last year and he wasn't going to watch another year go by to build for "later" because he believed the roster was good enough to win "now" and didn't want to miss the playoffs 3 out of 4 years under his watch. 

Division contenders, absolutely yes with these moves. SB contenders, crazy things have happened with a few breaks, we will see. But for now, I think we should be the top 2 favorites to win the AFC South along with the Titans.

No team with Phillip Rivers as a quarterback is a Superbowl contender until he proves he can manage to not choke in big situations for the first time in his entire career.

But I'll be happy with a good shot at the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

super bowl runs through Kansas City on the AFC side. 

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

No team with Phillip Rivers as a quarterback is a Superbowl contender until he proves he can manage to not choke in big situations for the first time in his entire career.

But I'll be happy with a good shot at the playoffs.

I reckon this is more of a "feel good, bounce back in the division" year for us, not an AFCCG year.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

super bowl runs through Kansas City on the AFC side. 

Ravens vs Chiefs will be my first pick for the AFCCG, but I am not counting Belichick out, with or without Brady. No one saw Brady and the Patriots beating the Steelers or the Rams in 2001 when Brady replaced Bledsoe. 

45 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

He's said he's not afraid to make those kinds of moves....just had to wait until the right time and make sure the locker room can handle it. This is him saying it's time. 

And in fairness, Rivers isn't really all that splashy considering it's a 1 year deal. It doesn't really hurt our future in anyway.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I reckon this is more of a "feel good, bounce back in the division" year for us, not an AFCCG year.

Yeah, I agree, which is why I think I will eventually make peace with Rivers as our QB.  I loved JB, but he was playing over his head.  What can I say, I'm a sucker for that kind of story,

51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ravens vs Chiefs will be my first pick for the AFCCG, but I am not counting Belichick out, with or without Brady. No one saw Brady and the Patriots beating the Steelers or the Rams in 2001 when Brady replaced Bledsoe. 

I’ll believe in the Jackson era Ravens when I see them win something in the postseason... I feel the Colts can compete next season with anybody. They are only going to get better as the young core gets more experience and better. 

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

Ballard, known for sticking to his guns and building through the draft, just switched it up with two huge, splashy moves this week. 

thoughts?

He didn't switch it up at all.
  He added Quality 1st contract talent, saved his $$$ to fill in gaps at the proper, pre-ordained time.
It was to be expected.

18 hours ago, csmopar said:

thoughts?

Ballard had limited choices. If you look at potential draft pools and free agents over a three year period, you've got to map out many potential paths to get you where you want to go. While there is uncertainty that any particular path will materialize, time is your friend in the longer term.

Yes, but in a way he was cornered into this.  Its not like its the result of great strategy. 

The team needed immediate infusion of talent at DT and at QB just to be able to field a competent team next season.  He couldn't rely on Kinlaw being there or his knees being adequate, or Love or anybody else being available at 13 and 34.

He had to fix those two positions immediately and the two players added were the best options available.

I think they are good players, but I don't think these moves fall into the category of Ballard holding his cards until the right time to make a move.  He had to play his hand now.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, but in a way he was cornered into this.  Its not like its the result of great strategy. 

The team needed immediate infusion of talent at DT and at QB just to be able to field a competent team next season.  He couldn't rely on Kinlaw being there or his knees being adequate, or Love or anybody else being available at 13 and 34.

He had to fix those two positions immediately and the two players added were the best options available.

I think they are good players, but I don't think these moves fall into the category of Ballard holding his cards until the right time to make a move.  He had to play his hand now.

He didn't have to do anything.    He could have signed a journeyman DT and kept JB at QB

Just now, jvan1973 said:

He didn't have to do anything.    He could have signed a journeyman DT and kept JB at QB

If he wanted to field a competent team next season, he had to fill two big holes in the starting line up.  That isn't really the result of executing a strategy.

I guess "have to" is relative.  He didn't have to do any of it.  He could retire and become a salesman at Best Buy.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You understand over 70% of all NFL players smoke pot....  right?

Where did you come up with this?  So, 70% of the NFL has been risking suspension this whole time?  It can't be anything even close to that. 

Rivers is going to take time for me to be okay with.  Talk about locker room chemistry - Rivers is about the fieriest jerk we could have added.  No me gusta.  I only would have been less happy about Brady... 

9 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Where did you come up with this?  So, 70% of the NFL has been risking suspension this whole time?  It can't be anything even close to that. 

Most of them were smart enough to know when and when not to smoke pot.

These players knew ahead of time when they were going to be tested. Only the ones who were stupid are the ones who got caught. 

70% is a low number. 

17 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I guarentee its higher.   The players are given the window when they are going to be tested. 

Martellus Wiley says 90%

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/martellus-bennett-estimates-that-nearly-90-percent-of-nfl-players-smoke-marijuana/

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If he wanted to field a competent team next season, he had to fill two big holes in the starting line up.  That isn't really the result of executing a strategy.

I guess "have to" is relative.  He didn't have to do any of it.  He could retire and become a salesman at Best Buy.

Of coarse it was a strategy.   

Archived