Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with QB Philip Rivers (1 YR Deal)

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year was an anomaly year for Philip.  I have watched every game he's played for our team and though I love him as a player I try to watch with a very clear eye.     1.  This year was a

You don't like the length of the player?

Hello everyone, first time here.   I've followed Rivers ever since his freshman year at NC State.  Became a Chargers fan in 04 when he was drafted, and now I'm here.  Hope you all have room

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

No. I've been telling you guys. Stop this. Decisions about the very top of our roster - the starting QB of the Colts, are NOT done with much or any consideration about Chad Kelly. 

Cutting/trading BOTH Hoyer and Brissett might show more confidence in Kelly being able to be backup QB. 

Okay, so would you say that the future QB is still not on the roster?  Maybe Kelly is the backup and then we draft a later round QB

Jalen Hurts

James Morgan

Anthony Gordon

So the 2021 QB room would be:  Former Draft pick (Morgan/Hurts/Gordon), Kelly as the backup?

Is that more of what you are thinking?

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How. We gave Luck 25 million and he didn't even play...you think giving Rivers 25 million to play is worse than last year. I couldn't even stomach watching the Colts play most of last season....at least with Rivers we will get a qb that knows what he is doing.

Because we're giving a washed up over the hill QB 25 mil for a one year rental

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Per Luis Reddick, 2019 Rivers made mistake after mistake. 

• - Doesnt think he's gonna make everyone else better.

- His physical abilities has gone done.

I guess Ballard disagrees over the former NFL front office guy who can't get another job in the league. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, stitches said:

No. I've been telling you guys. Stop this. Decisions about the very top of our roster - the starting QB of the Colts, are NOT done with much or any consideration about Chad Kelly. 

I don't know what the plan is with Chad Kelly but I will say that keeping him on the roster was odd.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

As opposed to giving a retired qb 25 million? Rivers is still an upgrade over JB. I can understand if you prefer we go after say Bridgewater or Winston etc but we know Rivers and while there are other qbs out there in the end we are going to draft our future qb this year or next year most likely. Anyone we got was just going to be a place holder...even JB.

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Okay, so would you say that the future QB is still not on the roster?  Maybe Kelly is the backup and then we draft a later round QB

Jalen Hurts

James Morgan

Anthony Gordon

So the 2021 QB room would be:  Former Draft pick (Morgan/Hurts/Gordon), Kelly as the backup?

Is that more of what you are thinking?

The future franchise QB of the Colts is not on the roster. And he likely won't be on the roster after the draft either. Although there is some(small) chance he might be after the draft. 

I don't consider any of Hurts/Morgan/Gordon as likely franchise QBs, so even if we draft any of them I would probably think of them as more of flyers/wild shots than as someone to rely on being our future franchise QB. 

• Like 4
Just now, dgambill said:

As opposed to giving a retired qb 25 million? Rivers is still an upgrade over JB. I can understand if you prefer we go after say Bridgewater or Winston etc but we know Rivers and while there are other qbs out there in the end we are going to draft our future qb this year or next year most likely. Anyone we got was just going to be a place holder...even JB.

No actually I would have preferred we keep our first round pick, but that was out the window. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

And what will you say if he kills it?

You're putting way too much faith in a guy that got 6 wins on a charger team that I could argue has similar or better talent then us

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't know what the plan is with Chad Kelly but I will say that keeping him on the roster was odd.

It's not odd IMO... he's not horrible. He's shown some good play in pre-season and has kept his nose clean... and he's cheap. Very cheap. And he will be very cheap for a year or two more. If you are going to be paying Luck, Brissett, Rivers and Hoyer money for the next year or two and have only one of them on the roster, having a cheap backup might be a good idea. 

If we draft a young QB, who is not ready to play, CK is again - good backup to have so you wouldn't need to crush the young guy before he's ready(if Rivers gets injured for example). 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No actually I would have preferred we keep our first round pick, but that was out the window. 

Gotcha...well Ballard has a plan...I'd say at least let it play out and see what we do. I think there is a lot that plays into these decisions. I don't think Ballard wanted a rookie starting next year and didn't think starting JB was an option he felt could make us a playoff team. Given we likely will see a very limited offseason program due to the virus he got a qb that can be up to speed with our offense and understands it and come right in and play well for us. I don't think Ballard was ever going to spend to move into the top 10 where the more proven qb commodities were likely to go. He still has plenty of ammo to go after a guy that might be a late first/2nd rd pick. 13 was likely to be a non-qb regardless given his efforts to beef up the DL. I understand what you are saying...but I think writing off Rivers or saying paying him 25 million is going to stop us from achieving our other roster goals. I think Rivers is a big upgrade for us and 25 million is nothing that will inhibit us moving forward.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, King Colt said:

And according to ESPN Brissett will most likely stay put. 

And according to ESPN Brissett will most likely stay put. 

Likely shows teams want to give little and also have Colts pay most of the QB's salary.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO Hoyer or Brissett or BOTH are gone. 

IMO it's both...and fairly quickly. Of course, given the current atmosphere...it's not like either player is in the building. But the Colts will want to make sure they find JB a home OR he finds one.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Probably wont need the Franchise tag. If Rivers does well enough, Colts can sign him for another year for not much more, if necessary.  PR won't desire to move to a 3rd team and new system if possible, methinks.

• Like 3

Adding a mean nasty Buckner to a mean nasty defense makes all the sense in the world. Rivers is a guess to me and maybe his success will depend on Reich. At least Rivers will have time to release the ball with the current OL.

5 minutes ago, Samu-Rye said:

Call the Pats and see if they want Brissett back, they liked him enough to draft him once.

I can easily see this happening.  They received a lot of 3rd round comp picks.  I can see them trading one for JB.  He knows their system which would make the transition very easy just like Rivers to our system. 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

IMO it's both...and fairly quickly. Of course, given the current atmosphere...it's not like either player is in the building. But the Colts will want to make sure they find JB a home OR he finds one.

Get one of Pats compensatory picks. 

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Washed up and over the hill was still better than Brissett at his best.  

This is no doubt an improvement at QB, so I am happy about that.   

Hines should be very excited.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Non of this matters when we go draft the future in the draft. As long as we have the future on the roster that is all that matters.

I think it matter for next season.  The defense will be better.  The passing game will be better.  The kicking game will be better.  10-12 wins is possible.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Get one of Pats compensatory picks. 

That wouldn't be bad...though I can't see NE giving up one AND paying that roster bonus. But that's probably the most JB-friendly scenario (via trade).

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can easily see this happening.  They received a lot of 3rd round comp picks.  I can see them trading one for JB.  He knows their system which would make the transition very easy just like Rivers to our system. 

I can see Tampa calling before N.E. does. Which means, IMO, neither do.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Washed up and over the hill was still better than Brissett at his best.  

This is no doubt an improvement at QB, so I am happy about that.   

Hines should be very excited.  

He immediately came to mind with the Eckler type player that LA had last year. I do think we have work to do at TE and maybe another WR but this is a deep draft.

• Like 1