Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
csmopar

Colts agree to terms with QB Philip Rivers (1 YR Deal)

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Perspective from someone who watched every Chargers game over the past 15+ years, for anyone who is interested:

 

The Chargers finished 2018 with the 29th ranked OL.  They brought the same line into 2019, but lost the best players on the line to injury.  They weren't just bad, they were a complete train wreck.

 

They also let Tyrell Williams go, leaving Travis Benjamin as their only speed receiver, who also got put on IR.

 

The 2019 Chargers also became the first team in the super bowl era to go 4 straight games with less than 40 rushing yards.

 

So, you have an old school pocket passer, with no time to throw, nobody getting open, and a historically bad running game.  Oh, and Lynn fired his OC halfway through the season to save his own butt.

 

My point in all of this, is that Rivers is not washed up or deteriorating physically.  The vast majority of his picks happened because he was forced to throw before any routes could develop.  Most of his throws ended up being lobs to spots on the field, hoping the receiver could beat the defender to the ball.  Sometimes Allen/Williams got it, sometimes it got picked.

 

Some say he should just take the sacks instead, and I get that.  But on the flip side, when you're getting late in the game down two scores, you need to start taking shots...can't keep punting it away.

 

The Chargers defense was also vastly overrated last year.  Good total yardage stats, but that was due to slow play style limiting possessions.  They finished around 20th in yards and points given up per possession.  They were also dead last in the NFL in takeaways.

 

If Rivers gets time to throw in Indy, he could very well have the best season of his career, which would almost certainly put the Colts in the hunt come playoff time.  I know there are skeptics, but this was an A+ move by the Colts.

 

 

 

Great post. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did you stop and think this Buckner deal was just to good to pass up. Or maybe Herbert or Love isn’t their target. Maybe their target is a second round guy of late first like Eason. Eason actually fits with the build the oline mentality Ballard has. Or maybe he doesn’t like Love enough at 13 but would be ok to trade up if he falls. Trading that pick doesn’t say much. He could even have agent info and has been told love won’t go that high. 


I did, and I even posted some scenarios and possibilities somewhere on this forum earlier... Trading the pick says a lot. This deal was reportedly in the works during the super bowl... which means a week after Ed Dodds and Frank Reich scouted the living Hell out of Jordan Love and Justin Herbert at the senior bowl (you did follow that right?), they felt trading their 1st round pick and paying a defensive tackle $21 million a year was their best move. Ballard said around that time that they would not force the issue in the draft. I believe him. If someone falls, they might take them. But it doesn’t have to happen this year. It might not need to happen next year. I don’t think this class is any better than what next years looks like. Ballard is still very much building this roster, and is obviously in win now mode by bringing a veteran qb on a big guaranteed deal instead of working through the top part of the draft to find his franchise qb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


I did, and I even posted some scenarios and possibilities somewhere on this forum earlier... Trading the pick says a lot. This deal was reportedly in the works during the super bowl... which means a week after Ed Dodds and Frank Reich scouted the living Hell out of Jordan Love and Justin Herbert at the senior bowl (you did follow that right?), they felt trading their 1st round pick and paying a defensive tackle $21 million a year was their best move. Ballard said around that time that they would not force the issue in the draft. I believe him. If someone falls, they might take them. But it doesn’t have to happen this year. It might not need to happen next year. I don’t think this class is any better than what next years looks like. Ballard is still very much building this roster, and is obviously in win now mode by bringing a veteran qb on a big guaranteed deal instead of working through the top part of the draft to find his franchise qb. 

I think you missed the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think you missed the point.


No, I got your point. I just don’t agree. Trading the first pick says a lot. Saying you aren’t going to force the qb issue says a lot. Can someone fall? Absolutely. We don’t know what kind of value this office has placed on anyone. They might think the qbs that will be in reach aren’t worth a 2nd round grade, let alone a first... I think you missed my point that I lean toward that belief based on the moves we have made and Ballard’s comments on the position, over yours that we are working secretly with Jordan Love’s agent to get him... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


No, I got your point. I just don’t agree. Trading the first pick says a lot. Saying you aren’t going to force the qb issue says a lot. Can someone fall? Absolutely. We don’t know what kind of value this office has placed on anyone. They might think the qbs that will be in reach aren’t worth a 2nd round grade, let alone a first... I think you missed my point that I lean toward that belief based on the moves we have made and Ballard’s comments on the position, over yours that we are working secretly with Jordan Love’s agent to get him... 

Personally, I think they are purely exclusive. The Colts biggest need on D the past several years has been a solid and well rounded pass rush. I think Ballard regrets not going and getting a 3T last year. I truly believe this had zero to do with anything QB related. Buckner is a top 3 guy, fits one of our two biggest holes, and he comes with almost zero bust risk. It's simply a no brainer to me given our salary cap situation and horrible pass rush ranking.

 

In short, I think the only thing that would have kept us from making a trade for Buckner was having a top 2 pick (Burrow or Young). After that, nothing is comparable to Buckner given his level of play and our clear need. Doesn't mean they don't really like this guy, or that guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Personally, I think they are purely exclusive. The Colts biggest need on D the past several years has been a solid and well rounded pass rush. I think Ballard regrets not going and getting a 3T last year. I truly believe this had zero to do with anything QB related. Buckner is a top 3 guy, fits one of our two biggest holes, and he comes with almost zero bust risk. It's simply a no brainer to me given our salary cap situation and horrible pass rush ranking.

 

In short, I think the only thing that would have kept us from making a trade for Buckner was having a top 2 pick (Burrow or Young). After that, nothing is comparable to Buckner given his level of play and our clear need. Doesn't mean they don't really like this guy, or that guy.


But Ballard didn’t start the deal until the super bowl (reportedly)... well after scouting quarterbacks. They aren’t exclusive. If he was hot on a qb, he never makes that deal...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


But Ballard didn’t start the deal until the super bowl (reportedly)... well after scouting quarterbacks. They aren’t exclusive. If he was hot on a qb, he never makes that deal...  

LOL..... How could they have started the deal before the SB? SF was playing in the SB. This was basically a sign/trade, and they certainly were not going to say "hey, DeForest, we plan to get rid of you, so let's talk about options.... And hey, you ready to go beat those Chiefs?"... 

 

And Ballard is going to do his job regardless. QB was a need, so he simply needs to scout them. He's likely still scouting QBs in prep for the draft.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL..... How could they have started the deal before the SB? SF was playing in the SB. This was basically a sign/trade, and they certainly were not going to say "hey, DeForest, we plan to get rid of you, so let's talk about options.... And hey, you ready to go beat those Chiefs?"... 

 

And Ballard is going to do his job regardless. QB was a need, so he simply needs to scout them. He's likely still scouting QBs in prep for the draft.

 

 

49ers fans feel good about the Buckner trade, for the most part:

 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/19/21186353/grading-the-buckner-trade-why-the-49ers-made-a-smart-decision

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

49ers fans feel good about the Buckner trade, for the most part:

 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/19/21186353/grading-the-buckner-trade-why-the-49ers-made-a-smart-decision

 

I read that. I think it's a creative narrative to make them feel better lol.... 

In all seriousness, some of the points are valid, some are just spin. 

Only time will tell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I read that. I think it's a creative narrative to make them feel better lol.... 

In all seriousness, some of the points are valid, some are just spin. 

Only time will tell.

 

If they were going to sign Armstead and tag Buckner, they'd have too much money invested in the DL, maybe they would have cornered themselves eventually. Of course, it is natural to wonder if Buckner's price tag, other than contract, would have been a bunch of 2nd rounders instead of a 1st rounder if we had waited a bit???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

If they were going to sign Armstead and tag Buckner, they'd have too much money invested in the DL, maybe they would have cornered themselves eventually. Of course, it is natural to wonder if Buckner's price tag, other than contract, would have been a bunch of 2nd rounders instead of a 1st rounder if we had waited a bit???

I'm perfectly fine with the price, and happy it was done quickly.  SF had an embarrassment of riches, and just had to make a choice. And I'm happy for that lol.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

If they were going to sign Armstead and tag Buckner, they'd have too much money invested in the DL, maybe they would have cornered themselves eventually. Of course, it is natural to wonder if Buckner's price tag, other than contract, would have been a bunch of 2nd rounders instead of a 1st rounder if we had waited a bit???

That's the gamble, isn't it? Wait until the price drops and he might be gone to a suitor who wanted him more. If you truly want something and are willing to pay the asking price, then it's reasonable to pull the trigger. CB's been pretty good about assigning appropriate value to players thus far, so I'm good with this blockbuster move at this expensive price.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

That's the gamble, isn't it? Wait until the price drops and he might be gone to a suitor who wanted him more. If you truly want something and are willing to pay the asking price, then it's reasonable to pull the trigger. CB's been pretty good about assigning appropriate value to players thus far, so I'm good with this blockbuster move at this expensive price.

 

Upon thinking about it more, you were never going to get established production with a No.13 pick, w.r.t the DL position, that takes time to mature going against NFL quality OL, and start contributing. It would have been more of a chance and a much longer waiting game to see results. 

 

Ballard went with the bird in hand than two in the bush here, I am seeing the merit now. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Is he bringing Mike Williams or Keenan Allen with him?

No, but he does have some history with Dontrelle Inman.  I didn't even realize he was with the Colts, but he filled in and made some big catches on several occasions for the Chargers over the years.

 

Honestly, I think having an elite WR corps is overrated.  Much better to have a smart, accurate QB with a good line and gameplan.  Need to be able to run the ball too of course.

 

I've watched Rivers win games with Legadu Naanee and Seyi Ajirotutu.  Heck, a lot of the Patriots' SBs were won without a top-tier WR group.  Won't hurt for the Colts to get some extra fire-power though, and I'm guessing they will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Is he bringing Mike Williams or Keenan Allen with him?

We do need to get him more weapons. Specially bigger ones. I look at a guy like pascal who had 700 yards with Jacoby and I really think he could do that again or better with Rivers. Although pascal won’t have as many opportunities most likely with upgraded weapons and TY and Campbell back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know everyone on this board is tired of hearing from Rivers fans already.  He had a recent year where we lost Allen and Mike Williams and Travis Benjamin of course was hurt.  The receiving corp were all UDFA’s and he had a great year with Reich and Tyrell Williams. He does better with taller receivers like Vincent Jackson but he’ll make average receivers look pretty good.

 

I’d been a Bolts fan since 1980 and remember not being sure about Rivers when he was drafted.  Hearing from all these Rivers fans on our board then and I’m sure converted!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2020 at 8:59 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:


Why, when the incentive to perform is in the 1 year guaranteed deal? It likely was a 2 year deal by understanding. You show us how good you are and what type of leader you are, and we’ll give you another good contract. 

 

I wouldn't put this all on Ballard, this is also good for him.  I think he wants to see that he's going to have a good team fielded around him this season.  Basically both Rivers and the Colts get an out after this season if it's not working out.  If it is working out, he can come back another year and have another go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

 

This is a big thing.  Everyone hates picks but lets be real.  Brissett's problem in part with only throwing underneath is that it means you need a long multi-play drive to score.  But long multi-play drives come with more inherent risk of a single mistake killing that drive, be it a penalty or a sack.

 

You need some big plays to get down there to score before someone screws it up.

 

Long drives are great for time killing but not necessarily great for scoring TD's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

No, but he does have some history with Dontrelle Inman.  I didn't even realize he was with the Colts, but he filled in and made some big catches on several occasions for the Chargers over the years.

 

Honestly, I think having an elite WR corps is overrated.  Much better to have a smart, accurate QB with a good line and gameplan.  Need to be able to run the ball too of course.

 

I've watched Rivers win games with Legadu Naanee and Seyi Ajirotutu.  Heck, a lot of the Patriots' SBs were won without a top-tier WR group.  Won't hurt for the Colts to get some extra fire-power though, and I'm guessing they will.


You watched him do that years ago. Rivers isn’t that guy anymore. Unless the WR group is upgraded here with the aging Rivers, I will just keep my expectations really low. Not trusting Campbell. TY is TY but outside of him and Doyle. Pass catchers are weak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Any update on the official signing yet? Said he was getting his physical yesterday. 

Not yet. I do wonder if we will get a phone conference like we did with Buckner. But I can imagine it is awkward with Jacoby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:


You watched him do that years ago. Rivers isn’t that guy anymore. Unless the WR group is upgraded here with the aging Rivers, I will just keep my expectations really low. Not trusting Campbell. TY is TY but outside of him and Doyle. Pass catchers are weak

I respectfully disagree.  Rivers is still that guy.  We will see in about 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Any update on the official signing yet? Said he was getting his physical yesterday. 

I wonder if the Colts are waiting until he is officially cleared with his physical and signed before they make any QB moves.   Just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if the Colts are waiting until he is officially cleared with his physical and signed before they make any QB moves.   Just in case.

That very well could be the case. He had his physical yesterday so I think we should hear something today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not but NFL Network is currently re-airing the Colts-Chargers game from Week 1 that went into OT.  They're doing Free Agency Frenzy games and it's on Rivers.  He didn't look too terrible in that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not but NFL Network is currently re-airing the Colts-Chargers game from Week 1 that went into OT.  They're doing Free Agency Frenzy games and it's on Rivers.  He didn't look too terrible in that one.

He never did against us lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, there are obviously a lot of ex-Chargers fans, like myself, coming to this board.  Thanks for welcoming us and tolerating all of the Rivers posts.

 

I'll be watching every Colts game and pulling for them as hard as possible for the next year, possibly more.  Wanted to ask the long-time fans if there is a recommended source out there somewhere to give folks like me an understanding of Colts history as well as their current state of affairs.  I know the basics as an outsider, but would like to learn more about the franchise and culture among the fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I wouldn't put this all on Ballard, this is also good for him.  I think he wants to see that he's going to have a good team fielded around him this season.  Basically both Rivers and the Colts get an out after this season if it's not working out.  If it is working out, he can come back another year and have another go.  


I very much think Rivers wanted a longer than one year deal. He’s moving his family here, the last thing he wants is to bounce around trying to find a team that works out at the end of his career. That’s the journeyman life in the league, not a franchise qb. Especially for Rivers, who has nine kids and has lived in one spot his entire career. He wants to finish his career here with Frank / Sirianni. He would not have signed and wasted a year here if he didn’t like the prospect of being here several years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


I very much think Rivers wanted a longer than one year deal. He’s moving his family here, the last thing he wants is to bounce around trying to find a team that works out at the end of his career. That’s the journeyman life in the league, not a franchise qb. Especially for Rivers, who has nine kids and has lived in one spot his entire career. He wants to finish his career here with Frank / Sirianni. He would not have signed and wasted a year here if he didn’t like the prospect of being here several years. 

He did not have many suitors according to the media

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as Rivers comes in and takes us to the playoffs with a chance to win a SB they will just let any rookie they draft sit on the bench. Now hopefully they don’t sit for more then two years. We need a rookie on a rookie contract to play a few years on that deal so we can get other players signed. Keeping Rivers more then two years could hurt that process.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

As long as Rivers comes in and takes us to the playoffs with a chance to win a SB they will just let any rookie they draft sit on the bench. Now hopefully they don’t sit for more then two years. We need a rookie on a rookie contract to play a few years on that deal so we can get other players signed. Keeping Rivers more then two years could hurt that process.  

Rivers has stated he wants to play 2 more years.  Wants to coach his oldest son in high school.  3 years is very unlikely, and anything more than that is completely out of the question.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else notice no announcement from the colts about Rivers? Are we just waiting for the physical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Anyone else notice no announcement from the colts about Rivers? Are we just waiting for the physical?

 

Physical was supposed to take place yesterday or today I think. 

Most popular theory is they're trying to deal JB to the Pats before Sunday, and are waiting for that before announcing. Not sure about all that, but highly possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

Physical was supposed to take place yesterday or today I think. 

Most popular theory is they're trying to deal JB to the Pats before Sunday, and are waiting for that before announcing. Not sure about all that, but highly possible.

The physical was supposed to take place Thursday.  I don't see the reason on waiting to deal JB to the Pats.  It doesn't change anything.  Holding on to JB to make sure Rivers passes his physical makes more sense.  If he fails for some reason we haven't already traded JB away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

Physical was supposed to take place yesterday or today I think. 

Most popular theory is they're trying to deal JB to the Pats before Sunday, and are waiting for that before announcing. Not sure about all that, but highly possible.

I think this is why it hasn’t been announced. As soon has he is dealt or cut we will get a announcement and a phone or video interview. They really don’t want to step on Jacobys toes.  It is already a weird situation and the players love Brissett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think this is why it hasn’t been announced. As soon has he is dealt or cut we will get a announcement and a phone or video interview. They really don’t want to step on Jacobys toes.  It is already a weird situation and the players love Brissett.

Not announcing it somehow makes JB and the players who love him feel better?  They just brought in a 25M QB and told him you are no longer our starter.  And we are trying to trade you. I would say his toes have already been smashed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not announcing it somehow makes JB and the players who love him feel better?  They just brought in a 25M QB and told him you are no longer our starter.  And we are trying to trade you. I would say his toes have already been smashed.  

It’s called respect. The team wants to show him respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • He is a whole different order of threat than Mack.  I'll be very surprised if teams aren't focusing him by week 4 or so.  And if it wasn't for Mack I'd say he's a real good bet for ROY.  Still might be even with Mack sharing carries.
    • Sub par reading comprehension on my part.
    • 100% agree here. It's probably the right thing to do honestly to keep 6 WRs. We have lots of potential, but no guarantees besides Hilton at this point. However, I love Pittman, Pascal and Campbell as well. Patmon and Dulin can still make the practice squad, so they might not make the 53 because of that. Fountain is borderline, I think it depends on if he is fully recovered from his injury and can outperform 2 of the other 3 in Patmon, Dulin, and Marcus Johnson. Marcus showed some potential as well, he's the longshot IMO, but a big training camp could have him make the roster as the no6 receiver.   I don't think Patmon will stay on the practice squad for very long with his size and potential, so I'd keep him, don't know between the other 3 yet, I'd determine that through training camp competition. In any case, our WR potential looks fantastic, and with Rivers at QB, I believe we'll have 2 guys break out this year at WR.
    • If it's going to happen to anyone this year, it'll be us. Mack and Taylor will both be used heavily in the offense, Reich seems committed to the run, great O-Line. The recipe is there for something like that to happen. Not only that, we should be ahead in the majority of our games, so I can see us running the ball a lot in the 2nd half to waste time off the clock.    Obvious it's not guaranteed to happen, but I think if the NFL plays a full 16 games the result will be very close.
    • Great stuff. Sounds like Paris is off to a great start. Kevin Bowen said he is supposed to be at practice Monday. I think they will be in full pads. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...