Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The wet noodle theory...

JohnnyP

Full disclosure:  I'm not loving the idea of getting Rivers.  With Reich in the building, I don't think we need a "mentor" for any potential young QB coming in next year.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't think Rivers is a significant upgrade over JB and I'd rather give JB another shot unless there's a young QB the organization is in love with in the draft.  Anyways....to the point of this thread:

By the sounds of it, Rivers will soon be a Colt.  There's a bit of a debate over his arm strength or lack thereof.  I've been in the camp questioning his arm strength. ...and the fact he'll be another year older entering this season does have me even more concerned.  With that being said,  to be fair to Rivers, I reviewed his highlight tape from last year and have to admit, he did show the ability to make some tough throws and even push the ball down the field better than I initially thought.  ...at the same time, I can remember watching Chargers games last year thinking he's lost it.

Whether it's JB, Rivers, or any other QB, we've got to add some other credible threat to the passing game.  If TY goes down, we're screwed on offense.

For those curious, check out Rivers' highlight tape from last year.

Oh he can still rip it. But watch those highlights and note the protection on those plays and the clean pocket. If we can consistently give him that he will be a good qb for us. If we don't protect him....well he will turn it over. When he has his feet under him...he can still be very special.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

This wet noodle stuff is silly.

I posted this in another thread, but here it is again.

Last year Rivers was #6 in deep ball attempts, #3 in air yards attempted, and #5 in completed air yards. Wet noodles don't do that... 

Good points.  As far as 'mentoring', unless he's changed his tune, Rivers isn't really interested in that.  He's interested in winning. 

Rightly so.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good points.  As far as 'mentoring', unless he's changed his tune, Rivers isn't really interested in that.  He's interested in winning. 

Rightly so.

Sometimes mentoring can be accomplished simply by watching and emulating. Watch the work habits, emulate the study habits, film room, how to take notes, how to lead. I agree most stars simply don't want to take time away from what makes them great to try to teach someone else...but nothing wrong with leading by example. I think a lot can be learned just from that.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Rightly so.

He said that 3 years ago. I want him to win first, but he'll get paid enough to be kind to the rookie that carries his duffle. 

On the surface, that seems like a reasonable argument.  However, the first 8 games of the season his yards per attempt was 7.48.  ....we also averaged 130 rushing yards per game during that stretch.  JB then gets hurt and TY is out as well.  ...can't help but think that played a big role in his lack of production the second half of the season.

It was a tale of two seasons for JB.  ....I'm not saying JB is great, but i think there's more reason to believe that between the injuries to JB and TY, that better explains JB's decline than him just not being a good enough QB.  ...with that being said, the coaching staff has more insight into his issues than any of us.  So, i have to believe JB was regressing in other ways beyond what we saw on TV.  For that reason, it's hard for me to argue against bringing another QB in.  I just don't like the idea of a stop gap solution for two years.

Cheers! 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyP said:

On the surface, that seems like a reasonable argument.  However, the first 8 games of the season his yards per attempt was 7.48.  ....we also averaged 130 rushing yards per game during that stretch.  JB then gets hurt and TY is out as well.  ...can't help but think that played a big role in his lack of production the second half of the season.

It was a tale of two seasons for JB.  ....I'm not saying JB is great, but i think there's more reason to believe that between the injuries to JB and TY, that better explains JB's decline than him just not being a good enough QB.  ...with that being said, the coaching staff has more insight into his issues than any of us.  So, i have to believe JB was regressing in other ways beyond what we saw on TV.  For that reason, it's hard for me to argue against bringing another QB in.  I just don't like the idea of a stop gap solution for two years.

Cheers! 

Not buying this whole tale of 2 seasons stuff.... JB still had 4 sub 50 QBR games in the first 7, and 3 of the 4 were sub 40. Also, 3 or 4 of the fist seven teams were bottom 10ish vs the pass.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Rightly so.

I look forward to the mentoring being the offense opened up and Hines being used as an Eckeler type.   Showing the next QB that the offense doesn't have to be Brissett ball.  

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Sometimes mentoring can be accomplished simply by watching and emulating. Watch the work habits, emulate the study habits, film room, how to take notes, how to lead. I agree most stars simply don't want to take time away from what makes them great to try to teach someone else...but nothing wrong with leading by example. I think a lot can be learned just from that.

I wholeheartedly agree..... now, watch..... Chad Kelly will have 9 kids! 

:peek:

Rivers has a good arm.  I'm more concerned about the head it's attached to.  Dude makes mistakes when the chips are down.  His career is pockmarked with key turnovers and failures to execute at critical moments.

He's a great QB.  But if the clutch gene exists in some form, whatever that form is, Phillip Rivers has the exact opposite of it.

15 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Rivers has a good arm.  I'm more concerned about the head it's attached to.  Dude makes mistakes when the chips are down.  His career is pockmarked with key turnovers and failures to execute at critical moments.

He's a great QB.  But if the clutch gene exists in some form, whatever that form is, Phillip Rivers has the exact opposite of it.

Just needs to hand it to mack

3 hours ago, JohnnyP said:

Full disclosure:  I'm not loving the idea of getting Rivers.  With Reich in the building, I don't think we need a "mentor" for any potential young QB coming in next year.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't think Rivers is a significant upgrade over JB and I'd rather give JB another shot unless there's a young QB the organization is in love with in the draft.  Anyways....to the point of this thread:

By the sounds of it, Rivers will soon be a Colt.  There's a bit of a debate over his arm strength or lack thereof.  I've been in the camp questioning his arm strength. ...and the fact he'll be another year older entering this season does have me even more concerned.  With that being said,  to be fair to Rivers, I reviewed his highlight tape from last year and have to admit, he did show the ability to make some tough throws and even push the ball down the field better than I initially thought.  ...at the same time, I can remember watching Chargers games last year thinking he's lost it.

Whether it's JB, Rivers, or any other QB, we've got to add some other credible threat to the passing game.  If TY goes down, we're screwed on offense.

For those curious, check out Rivers' highlight tape from last year.

bored to death eye roll GIF

Why is being better than Brissett the bar? That’s really really low.

Kenan Allen and Mike Williams are a much better duo than what what the Colts offer. Unless there is a significant change in the talent. I wouldn’t be shocked if Rivers has a mediocre year in Indy

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Why is being better than Brissett the bar? That’s really really low.

Kenan Allen and Mike Williams are a much better duo than what what the Colts offer. Unless there is a significant change in the talent. I wouldn’t be shocked if Rivers has a mediocre year in Indy

I doubt many people think that is a bar, I hope not. Having said that Rivers is much better so it is a good signing. IMO I think last year was a fluke for Rivers, I guess we will find out soon.

The one thing I know without he does do better than JB is he anticipates routes. JB has to wait see it open and drive in a 95MPH fastball. Rivers can see it and lead WRs open. Many routes in that video he has some touch. JB is going to drive it in or don’t throw it....my opinion

Archived