Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How good will this Team be(Ceiling)

I'm certain that if the Colts are this interested in signing Rivers, they believe he still is the caliber of player we say in 2018 (32 touchdowns 12 ints).

With the Colts Oline, wide receivers( plus an upgrade or two to WR and TE), and Mack- How good do you think we'll be?

1 minute ago, coltsfanej said:

Could be super bowl winners. My prediction if I had to guess now would be 11-5. Lose in AFC championship to KC/Ravens. 

Honestly if we get 2018 Rivers and 2019 rivers was just a result of Horrible team around him, I'm very confident we can make noise in the playoffs.  

Two biggest factors for any contender - QB play and Injuries.

IMHO Rivers is an upgrade over Jacoby, but that's just an opinion.  They had similar stats last season but we had a better O line, they had better receivers. 

Ballard put together a strong team.  Definitely a playoff team, again IMO.

Ceiling is super bowl.  Floor is flame out and don’t make the playoffs.

ceiling:  Rivers returns to form behind a solid offensive line.  Buckner shores up defensive line allowing for an extra level of performance.

floor:  Rivers continues to regress.  Buckner fizzles and defense remains status quo.  OR major injury to QB or rash of injuries.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Dacoltsboi said:

I'm certain that if the Colts are this interested in signing Rivers, they believe he still is the caliber of player we say in 2018 (32 touchdowns 12 ints).

With the Colts Oline, wide receivers( plus an upgrade or two to WR and TE), and Mack- How good do you think we'll be?

Way to early. We’re not even into FA yet and have no idea how the roster will shake out. I think we’re gonna be much better on the DL if healthy.  But offense is still up in the air, Rivers or not. 

• Like 1

We need another DT and two receivers (WR and TE), and there's something not right about the secondary or RB units. 

With Rivers (assuming) playing at a reasonably competent Hasselbeck level, I predict about 8 wins without the other components.  We might not get a lot out of the rookies. 

Ceiling is SB champs.  Floor is 4 wins.

Injuries are a huge thing.  

Absent injuries to major players I think we at least make the playoffs.  Texans look a lot easier to beat without Hopkins on the outside.

Jags will still be the jags.  

Titans might be tough but of Tannehill regresses to the mean they don't look too tough.

If nothing else Rivers stretching the field opens things up for the run game.  Plus we have another play maker on defense that should help keep us in games.  A better kicking game will help too.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

We need another DT and two receivers (WR and TE), and there's something not right about the secondary or RB units. 

With Rivers (assuming) playing at a reasonably competent Hasselbeck level, I predict about 8 wins without the other components.  We might not get a lot out of the rookies. 

Didn't realize the draft had taken place...who did we get that will under perform ?

• Haha 1

Ceiling is division winner with a possible trip to the divisional round, IMO. Need lots of breaks with health and chemistry established fast on offense to make it to the AFCCG. 

Floor is if Philip blows it, and no chemistry is established on offense, we will win 6-8 games, just like last year just because of the base talent on this team. 

We do play both the AFC North and NFC North, defensive oriented teams that bring defensive pressure, which is not the best match up for Rivers. Rivers played us well because of our "bend but don't break passive" Ron Meeks' defense during the Peyton days. When he played the Jets or Ravens under Rex Ryan, or Steelers under Dick LeBeau, he had more issues with pressure and limited time, even in his prime. A team that rushes primarily 4 and blitzes seldom is perfect for him to go against. 

7 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Didn't realize the draft had taken place...who did we get that will under perform ?

Who said anything about underperform?

Just assuming that our best rookies next season won't contribute immediately.  Probably another season like  Rock, Ben, and Parris, considering we have 34, 44 and 75.

With Ballard's draft history in those spots, I mean, I wouldn't expect any of them to be immediately impactful just because Leonard was.

• Like 1

$25 million later, the Colts still have the third best quarterback in this division.  Hard to speculate on a ceiling until we can see the finished product.  But I wouldn't get my hopes too high with Rivers under center.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, Dacoltsboi said:

Division winner/ playoff team.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dacoltsboi said:

Why are you asking this question today?    Who knows today?

We won’t know until May at the earliest.   After most if free agency.   After the draft.   Lots if big decisions still have to be made in the next 6-8 weeks......

Patience, Grasshopper... 

• Haha 1

11-5, AFC Title game.  This team was competitive with one of the worst QBs the Colts have had.  Great O-Line, Running attack, and young defense.  Watch what a difference having a competent QB has on the whole team.

10-6 seems reasonable. We loss no one and have gained a better QB and a key, high-end talent on defense. With the draft still to go, I'd have to think we're set to have a better record this year.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

10-6 seems reasonable. We loss no one and have gained a better QB and a key, high-end talent on defense. With the draft still to go, I'd have to think we're set to have a better record this year.

I agree as long as our field goal kicker makes his kicks. :thmup:

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

$25 million later, the Colts still have the third best quarterback in this division.  Hard to speculate on a ceiling until we can see the finished product.  But I wouldn't get my hopes too high with Rivers under center.  

I pretty much share that opinion. 

As a Colts fan I hope Rivers balls out because I am a very optimistic fan but I wont be betting the farm on it. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

8 and 8 still dont have star WR need another TE and also a DE and also need to draft a lineman

Wow? 8 wins? Coming from you that is amazing. 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I am not sold on Tannehill being better than Rivers. He had a nice little run last year but was carried by his run game in the playoffs. Tannehill's playoff numbers were not even average. I will give you Watson being better as of now, Tannehill being better is questionable. Henry makes that engine go in Tennessee. Thing about Watson is, now his best weapon is gone.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sold on Tannehill being better than Rivers. He had a nice little run last year but was carried by his run game in the playoffs. Tannehill's playoff numbers were not even average. I will give you Watson being better as of now, Tannehill being better is questionable. Henry makes that engine go in Tennessee. Thing about Watson is, now his best weapon is gone.

Texans will draft a wr. As for who is best team on division  it is tough to say.

The ceiling of the team is as good as the ceiling of the quarterback. We know Rivers is a divisional playoff round qb, he can get us there but doubt he'll get us any further. 

Defense looks exciting as hell tho. 

• Thanks 1

I think 10 wins is possible, but mainly because of the defensive upgrade.  I think having a guy like Buckner in the middle is going to make a HUGE difference for this defense.  Apparently Ballard thinks so as well.  Watch this D come to life this year.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree as long as our field goal kicker makes his kicks. :thmup:

I assume it'll be Chase McLaughlin and he is pretty good.  

20 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Two biggest factors for any contender - QB play and Injuries.

Somewhat related, the two guys we've added so far are two of the most durable players in the league. Rivers hasn't missed a game in 14 years, Buckner has only missed one game in his career, as a rookie. 

I'm thinking a history of durability will be a continued focus moving forward.

• Like 4

They're better on paper today than they were last week. 6 months until games- assuming that happens. I'd wager the expectation is get to the playoffs this year and make some noise.