Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
rayski

Jacoby v Rivers

Jacoby vs Rivers  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have moving forward?

• Jacoby Brissett
    • Phillip Rivers

I don't think Rivers at age 38 provides much of an upgrade at quarterback with the lack of depth at receiver but that's just my opinion. Curious to see what the majority thinks here.

• Confused 1

Looks to be a very underwhelming training camp battle

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rayski said:

I don't think Rivers at age 38 provides much of an upgrade at quarterback with the lack of depth at receiver but that's just my opinion. Curious to see what the majority thinks here.

Too early. A: rivers hasn’t signed as of this posting. 
B: if we sign rivers, I’d venture that Hoyer and JB both being gone.

C: as much as I don’t like it, we’ll draft a QB in round 2/3 to back up Rivers. And to develop him

• Like 1

Without a doubt, P. Rivers is a better passer and would provide an upgrade.

Also, we will most likely add to our receiving corps.

As it currently stands:

1. T.Y. Hilton

2. P. Campbell

3. D. Inman

4. Z. Pascal

5. R. Fountain

When healthy, they are capable. Nonetheless, look for CB to add to the receiving corps.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

As it currently stands:

1. T.Y. Hilton

2. P. Campbell

3. D. Inman

4. Z. Pascal

5. R. Fountain

When healthy, they are capable. Nonetheless, look for CB to add to the receiving corps.

I think that's a very poor wr group and if TY gets injured again, might be the worst depth at wr in the league.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, KB said:

Looks to be a very underwhelming training camp battle

I don't know, Kelly might give Rivers a push.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

As it currently stands:

1. T.Y. Hilton

2. P. Campbell

3. D. Inman

4. Z. Pascal

5. R. Fountain

Add Hines to that. He looked great with Luck, and invisible to JB. I think Rivers could get 500 out of even Rogers like Luck did lol... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rayski said:

Im taking Rivers all day long with this one Brissett just didn't do near enough for me to say he earned the job moving forward. Plus there wont be a competition if we pay rivers he is the starter automatically and Brissett likely gets the pink slip we wont pay two QB's 20+ million dollars that makes zero sense. Also even at 38 years old Rivers is still a major upgrade over Brissett Rivers makes everyone around him look better than they are he won with the chargers when they had no-name recievers Brissett cant do that I had hope when he led us to 5-2 and had a 102-5 QBR and 14-3 TD-INT ratio but then he was horrible couldn't even hit a wide open receiver that saints Monday night game Disaster he was garbage in that game as a matter of fact the whole team that night was embarrassing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rayski said:

I think that's a very poor wr group and if TY gets injured again, might be the worst depth at wr in the league.

Are you somehow under the impression that the season starts tomorrow?   What difference does the quality of our WR group today make?    
It’s today.    Today is mid-March.   It matters in September. 

We may still sign a WR in FA.    We may draft a WR...   maybe even two.    And then our WR group won’t be so bad.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

votes aren't public? lol

Never thought it makes any difference, does it?

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Im taking Rivers all day long with this one Brissett just didn't do near enough for me to say he earned the job moving forward. Plus there wont be a competition if we pay rivers he is the starter automatically and Brissett likely gets the pink slip we wont pay two QB's 20+ million dollars that makes zero sense. Also even at 38 years old Rivers is still a major upgrade over Brissett Rivers makes everyone around him look better than they are he won with the chargers when they had no-name recievers Brissett cant do that I had hope when he led us to 5-2 and had a 102-5 QBR and 14-3 TD-INT ratio but then he was horrible couldn't even hit a wide open receiver that saints Monday night game Disaster he was garbage in that game as a matter of fact the whole team that night was embarrassing.

"He won w the Chargers with no name receivers."When was that? 

1 minute ago, rayski said:

Look at his days with Reich 13, 14, 15. Two of those years he didn't have a pass catcher over 1000 yards, but still was top 5 or top 10 in ypg.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are you somehow under the impression that the season starts tomorrow?   What difference does the quality of our WR group today make?    
It’s today.    Today is mid-March.   It matters in September. 

We may still sign a WR in FA.    We may draft a WR...   maybe even two.    And then our WR group won’t be so bad.  

I can only give you my opinion about what's happening now, not what might happen. When we have a different wr group, my opinion might be different too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

votes aren't public? lol

ray liotta laughing GIF

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Look at his days with Reich 13, 14, 15. Two of those years he didn't have a pass catcher over 1000 yards, but still was top 5 or top 10 in ypg.

Hardly any stat there I'm impressed by, especially not the 9-7, 9-7 and 4-12 records they produced together. I get your point, my opinion is just different. Typically when you sign a veteran(38) qb, you signing them believing they will win you a championship. I see nothing that tells me he'll suddenly become a winner w the Colts. Only time will tell tho.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

votes aren't public? lol

Haha...I was looking for that as well. Didn't know you could do an anonymous poll.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rayski said:

Never thought it makes any difference, does it?

Years ago like early in his career he didn't always have big name guys to throw to like Allen V Jackson Floyd ETC.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Haha...I was looking for that as well. Didn't know you could do an anonymous poll.

it's the default setting lol 

at least I didn't change anything

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rayski said:

Hardly any stat there I'm impressed by, especially not the 9-7, 9-7 and 4-12 records they produced together. I get your point, my opinion is just different. Typically when you sign a veteran(38) qb, you signing them believing they will win you a championship. I see nothing that tells me he'll suddenly become a winner w the Colts. Only time will tell tho.

He played at a very high level, without stellar WRs, and without a stellar running game (2 of the years). 

Less than 2 years ago, he went 12-4, threw for 4000+, had a QBR of 69, 8.3 AVG, and was 32/12. That's a fantastic season stat wise. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't know, Kelly might give Rivers a push.

I absolutely am not in favor of Rivers coming here but it could be worse, we could stay with JB again. 

if Rivers comes, it’s a 2 year deal and done. We have 2 seasons to get a guy groomed. We have Kelly, why not see if he is the guy behind Rivers? You are right, Rivers could be knocked off by Kelly if Rivers is truly in decline and not just slowed by a crappy oline. (I think both items could be true). If Kelly has taken this offseason as a true test for the competition to win and has studied hard and refined some skills, it’s not impossible to think he could win and Rivers sits behind him and helps mentor him. Would Rivers be content in that role is the question and I think it has to be brought up in the contract negotiations. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It defaults to anonymous. You have to check a box to make it public. 

I forget sometimes too to check the box, so won't give him too hard of a time.....:D

Both have some pros and cons obviously. I think I like Phillip Rivers better than Brissett. However, Brissett could extend some plays with his legs whereas Rivers will most likely never do that, which is fine. Brissett was very inaccurate towards the last half of the season so I'm hoping Rivers can be better in that area. Also, Rivers has a lot of spunk and fire behind him. I think he could possibly command more out of our offense than Brissett. I think either way, we're going to need another big time weapon on WR. Outside of TY Hilton, everyone else is just a plug-in currently. I really hope Campbell turns it up this season, otherwise I hope Ballard is drafting a big time WR this season.

• Like 1

Just now, Jdubu said:

I absolutely am not in favor of Rivers coming here but it could be worse, we could stay with JB again. 

if Rivers comes, it’s a 2 year deal and done. We have 2 seasons to get a guy groomed. We have Kelly, why not see if he is the guy behind Rivers? You are right, Rivers could be knocked off by Kelly if Rivers is truly in decline and not just slowed by a crappy oline. (I think both items could be true). If Kelly has taken this offseason as a true test for the competition to win and has studied hard and refined some skills, it’s not impossible to think he could win and Rivers sits behind him and helps mentor him. Would Rivers be content in that role is the question and I think it has to be brought up in the contract negotiations. 

I would have preferred Carr, but he's the only realistic option that I preferred. 

2 years is just perfect to me. Find a rook this year or next, or even give CK a strong look (if Ballard things he has something). Personally I think he'll come in with a chip, and be a huge upgrade over JB. CK isn't going beat out Rivers this year, and neither would JB. I've watched enough of Rivers 2019 tape to know he can still throw it. 

• Like 2

Thought Inman's contract expired....I think we take Anthony Gordon rd 3 or 4 and develop him behind Rivers. Saw him play 10 games this season, kid has great release speed, decent enough arm and has enough speed to run when needed. Much prefer him over some being touted higher especially Love who was underwhelming often and Eason who has no arm.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Jacoby is going to be traded by the end of the week.

Not likely with his contract.    Why would anyone trade for him?

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't get the Rivers hate. I've heard people say he now has a noodle arm and I don't see it. His stats last year weren't even that terrible and furthermore weren't the worst in his career and was done behind a terrible o-line. I'll admit that he clearly lacks a certain "it factor" in terms of being a great QB but not having a lot of post season success. But you're not really ever going to find that in a free agent, and he won't be getting signed as a long term option so what is people's deal? He's an upgrade in my eyes and gives us the better chance of winning now while we figure out who will lead this offense in the future.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Jacoby is going to be traded by the end of the week.

Yeah, I doubt it. What team is going to trade for Jacoby? I think if this Rivers deal goes through, then it's going to be Brissett and Rivers duking it out in training camp. Most likely Rivers being QB-1.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not likely with his contract.    Why would anyone trade for him?

it'll be interesting. 

Just now, pgt_rob said:

Yeah, I doubt it. What team is going to trade for Jacoby? I think if this Rivers deal goes through, then it's going to be Brissett and Rivers duking it out in training camp. Most likely Rivers being QB-1.

Two 20M per year QBs on the same roster?

No Way Reaction GIF by moodman

JB will be cut. It’s not rocket science!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Makes little sense to keep JB if Rivers comes on board. They aren't going to pay Rivers to have him compete (despite any lip service they give to that idea). So JB's a very expensive, possibly disgruntled, backup QB. 

Colts traded #13 and gave Buckner a ton of money...they want to complete next year...and that JB money can be used much more effectively. Ballard might need to get creative...but I think he can find a taker.

What about JB going to the Steelers. Their backups are bad and he would give them insurance if Ben isn’t ready or isn’t back full strength.

12 minutes ago, Superfly said:

Two 20M per year QBs on the same roster?

No Way Reaction GIF by moodman

JB will be cut. It’s not rocket science!

JB would get $14,875,000 if he rides the bench. 

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

JB would get $14,850,000 if he rides the bench. 

contract could be renegotiated .  I don't think some of you realize the importance of another mind in meeting rooms and prep for games .   The backup QB is very important. Ask Polian.  

Colts could also offer to still pay him part of his contract. While the new team pays the rest. 

2 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

contract could be renegotiated .  I don't think some of you realize the importance of another mind in meeting rooms and prep for games .   The backup QB is very important. Ask Polian.  

He’s not going to walk into the facility after they sign a FA QB and take less money. 

• Like 1

Just now, John Waylon said:

He’s not going to walk into the facility after they sign a FA QB and take less money. 

Well he is not going to be a starter, so he may have no choice if he wants to be here longer than a yr.  I'm not saying for just this yr,  extend him and lower his salary to decent back up level again.  He may want traded also 

6 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Well, it was Hoyer's such value why we signed him for so much so...

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

the team has no leverage to make him do that.  they can ask and he can just say no

in the nba they sometimes negotiate contract buy outs, not sure if thats a thing in the nfl 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well, it was Hoyer's such value why we signed him for so much so...

Yep.   They didn't bring him in thinking he would have to play a lot.  They knew JB was going to need some help breaking down film etc.  JB got injured as well as other players and it all fell apart.

Even Rivers is going to need a vet mind to be his sous chef