Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers give Cam Newton permission to seek trade

1 minute ago, TheMose said:

Both sides are looking at finding the right fit. Thoughts? 

With the medicals shut down for the most part,    its gonna be a tough for him to get a deal

• Like 1
1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Hate to say it but backing up Lamar Jackson would be the best fit for him. 

He's not going anywhere to be a back up. And the price the Panthers are sure to ask for would be silly to pay for a back up

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TheMose said:

He's not going anywhere to be a back up. And the price the Panthers are sure to ask for would be silly to pay for a back up

If he wants to start, a coach would have to change his offense and have a good OL.

Jon Gruden might like his big arm, though inaccurate. Bruce Arians might like his big arm as well. Those are 2 places he can try becoming a starter. 

Otherwise, it will be a fall from grace for him. The Bears will wait till Cam becomes a free agent and then sign him if Trubisky has another down year and roll the dice.

He hasn't been the same Quarterback since Von Miller made him his you know what in Super Bowl 50. He is coming off two serious injuries and is on the decline. Also, whoever signs him is going to have to deal with the antics and how he carries himself to press conferences and stuff like that. I don't see a fit in New England or Chicago. The only place I think he could go is the Raiders but they already have Carr. 

17 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

He hasn't been the same Quarterback since Von Miller made him his you know what in Super Bowl 50. He is coming off two serious injuries and is on the decline. Also, whoever signs him is going to have to deal with the antics and how he carries himself to press conferences and stuff like that. I don't see a fit in New England or Chicago. The only place I think he could go is the Raiders but they already have Carr. 

They also now have Mariota as well. Chicago would be a good fit I agree. They have a very good D too.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

It sort of wouldn't surprise me to see him somehow land in Jacksonville.

Now that Brady is not going to the Chargers, the Chargers might get a sweet deal with Cam Newton with Tyrod backing him up, the style of QB Anthony Lynn prefers. 

If you think about it, that is Cam's best chance for being a starter, given the offense, and how Mike Williams catches 50/50 balls real well, which is a plus given Cam's inaccuracies, and how Cam loved throwing to Greg Olsen, that would be the franchised Hunter Henry, and the OL issues could be minimized with a few investments and Cam being able to run too.

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Now that Brady is not going to the Chargers, the Chargers might get a sweet deal with Cam Newton with Tyrod backing him up, the style of QB Anthony Lynn prefers. 

If you think about it, that is Cam's best chance for being a starter, given the offense, and how Mike Williams catches 50/50 balls real well, which is a plus given Cam's inaccuracies, and how Cam loved throwing to Greg Olsen, that would be the franchised Hunter Henry, and the OL issues could be minimized with a few investments and Cam being able to run too.

Yeah Cam and then draft a rookie QB to sit behind him.   Being that Tom Telesco is from the Colts and has Bill Polian type influence though do you think he would be cool with the Cam aquisition?

On 3/17/2020 at 11:14 AM, TheMose said:

He may not have a choice if he wants to stay in the NFL.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He may not have a choice if he wants to stay in the NFL.

This was before the Teddy deal. Now that they have a replacement, he will go for pennies and could land somewhere like Chicago where he may start off as the back up

This was before the Teddy deal. Now that they have a replacement, he will go for pennies and could land somewhere like Chicago where he may start off as the back up

Could be, who knows.

I think most GMs and coaches are looking for a mature QB as a leader. So far Cam hasn't showed that ability. 

Cam has ended up like so many running QBs end up. Sooner or later the injuries add up and their careers are shortened. 

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Could be, who knows.

I think most GMs and coaches are looking for a mature QB as a leader. So far Cam hasn't showed that ability. 

Cam has ended up like so many running QBs end up. Sooner or later the injuries add up and their careers are shortened. 

Its really a shame. He has the talent and proved for at least one year he could pass as well as run. But he was too inconsistent and showed little signs of maturing. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah Cam and then draft a rookie QB to sit behind him.   Being that Tom Telesco is from the Colts and has Bill Polian type influence though do you think he would be cool with the Cam aquisition?

If his risks are minimal with Cam just having 1 year left on his contract, it is a low risk high reward chance for a team moving to a new stadium to sell more tickets with the upside of winning more games a bigger bonus with Cam. Cam Newton will sell more tickets than Tyrod Taylor, no 2 ways about it. It will also save face for the GM and owner, having failed to secure the services of Brady, which I heard they tried but Brady's connections to New York (business, I presume) led him to stick to the East Coast and the Chargers never put pen on paper due to Brady's camp being honest with him about that.

If they are taking on his contract, the Chargers would have to part with just a 2nd or 3rd rounder, if the Panthers are quick to get rid of him. As long as they do it before the draft, after free agency settles in, they should be fine.

Bears trade to get Foles for a 4th. They are out

Just got the update on my phone as well. They would have been asking for more if it were the Colts. However, they do get to face him.

Now, with Minshew penciled in as starter, D.J.Chark's fantasy value is intact. :)