Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard’s Colts trying to become 49ers

I said it before and I said it after the Super Bowl. Ballard loves how the 49ers were built. Strong D and strong running game. Then he goes out and gets Buckner. Now look at our D:

Houston

Buckner
Stewart

Turay

Leonard

Walker

Okereke

Moore

Rock

Hooker

Willis

Ballard’s baby (Defense) is really coming together.  

Now the question of QB. I think this trade settled the thought of 1st round QB ( Love or Herbert). I still see a path for JB, Kelly and mid round pick. We will know soon. It all depends on if the Colts sign a QB in FA. No matter what, Ballard is building something special. 

Fun Times

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Still need a probowl or all pro level corner

I'm not so sure about that.   The Colts lacked any interior pressure last season which maybe it hard for our corners.  

Desir

Moore

Tell

Wilson

Rock

That's not a bad crew.   Could be better of course and Buckner should make them better.  I think Rock improved as the season went on and I expect him to be better this season.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We aren’t trying to be the Niners..they legit had 1st round picks all over their d line lol but regardless we’re trying to upgrade that dline they struggle inside but you get the power rush from from Houston and a speed rush from Turay and hope The DT pushes the pocket 

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Correction, replace corner with safety. 49ers underrated safety play got them where they are. But then, neither the Seahawks nor the 49ers or the Ravens for a large part of a decade, after loading up on D, could get over the hump without a QB leading the show. RW delivered, Jimmy G somewhat delivered, and Flacco delivered as well.

All of them had excellent safety play.

Perhaps you're applying some transference of your own hopes/wants to Ballard here.... lol....

I think Ballard simply wants good trenches. Ballard is also the guy who had a lot to do with putting together a lights out offense in KC, and just saw that team win it all over SF.

As far as what Ballard has built, you forgot substantial investments ($ or draft capital) on Nelson, Braden Smith, AC extension, Ebron, Funch, and Campbell. Turay is one of 4 DEs taken in the 2nd, and is the only one to pan out. Guys like Stewart and Walker are later round surprises like Mack, Hines, Wilkins, and Fountain. Oke and Willis are mid round situational/limited guys thus far.

45 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I think you will be surprised at the big step forward Rock takes in year two, which will be amplified now that he has a pass rush in front of him. Moore hopefully gets back to 2018 form too. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm not so sure about that.   The Colts lacked any interior pressure last season which maybe it hard for our corners.  

Desir

Moore

Tell

Wilson

Rock

That's not a bad crew.   Could be better of course and Buckner should make them better.  I think Rock improved as the season went on and I expect him to be better this season.  

Desir, Tell, and Wilson are not exactly real keepers.
We desperately need a high quality very fast CB.

• Thanks 1

I'm really pulling for Turay. He absolutely NEEDS to stay on the field. He has a lot of talent but it's disappointing to see him suffer through injuries. If he stays healthy, I think our defense is going to look very good.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Desir was hobbled a good portion of the year, so not ready to give up on him. Not saying he will ever be lock down, but he's got the potential to be much better than 2019.

I also have decent hopes for Tell. He's got pretty good ceiling, and IMO will at minimum turn into a good situational DB after another year of experience.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Desir was hobbled a good portion of the year, so not ready to give up on him. Not saying he will ever be lock down, but he's got the potential to be much better than 2019.

I also have decent hopes for Tell. He's got pretty good ceiling, and IMO will at minimum turn into a good situational DB after another year of experience.

At his best Desir is just OK. Tell looked lost out there at times. If he were beaten out it would be no surprise. Wilson... naaa!

From a philosophy of the importance in the running game and that the d-line is the backbone of the defense... absolutely. But Ballard wants explosiveness on offense like the Chiefs. Campbell and Hilton. Hines. We want guys that can take a 10 yard pass and turn it into a 50 plus touchdown. Explosive. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

From a philosophy of the importance in the running game and that the d-line is the backbone of the defense... absolutely. But Ballard wants explosiveness on offense like the Chiefs. Campbell and Hilton. Hines. We want guys that can take a 10 yard pass and turn it into a 50 plus touchdown. Explosive. 

That is a big part of why Rivers would excite me.   He has a history of using a "Hines-like" back out of the backfield in the passing game.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Myles said:

Desir

Moore

Tell

Wilson

Rock

I can definitely see Rock's experience as a wrestler come into play while watching him play. A press corner who needs to work on flipping his hips. Not a bad rookie season to be baptized with real game experience for the rook. 

21 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

At his best Desir is just OK. Tell looked lost out there at times. If he were beaten out it would be no surprise. Wilson... naaa!

Not saying Desir is great or anything, but he's very solid when healthy. I'd prefer he be a depth guy, but he's not horrible either. 

Tell is switching positions, so he's going to take time. 

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

and a QB that can effectively get it to explosive players.

Was it his plan all along now that the locker room is stable that Ballard could make all the BIG moves he is/will be making now? Or do you think Ballard did not want to wait around like last year when he was outbid?

He is after all a first time GM, and he did not want to miss the playoffs 3 out of 4 years under his watch, and feels like quality additions to an already talented roster can get us to be division winners again, IMO.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

That is a big part of why Rivers would excite me.   He has a history of using a "Hines-like" back out of the backfield in the passing game.   

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

and a QB that can effectively get it to explosive players

I think Rivers checks that box. Is he Mahomes? No one is. Is he better than Brissett, yes... I saw a twitter post that said the average time to throw the ball was 2.63 seconds versus JB’s 2.93 seconds. That is wild. Three tenths of a second is an insane amount of time to hold onto the football. Difference between getting hit in the mouth with a sack/fumble and not hit at all... Rivers is top 10 in that regard. Get it to your players quick and let the athletes do the work. 

Rivers on a one year prove it for more deal, is just what this team needs this year. Keep him upright. See what happens in the draft, and don’t force the issue. This team just got MUCH better in the first 24 hours of FA. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think Rivers checks that box. Is he Mahomes? No one is. Is he better than Brissett, yes... I saw a twitter post that said the average time to throw the ball was 2.63 seconds versus JB’s 2.93 seconds. That is wild. Three tenths of a second is an insane amount of time to hold onto the football. Difference between getting hit in the mouth with a sack/fumble and not hit at all... Rivers is top 10 in that regard. Get it to your players quick and let the athletes do the work. 

Rivers on a one year prove it for more deal, is just what this team needs this year. Keep him upright. See what happens in the draft, and don’t force the issue. This team just got MUCH better in the first 24 hours of FA. 

I ran across a stat that showed the Chargers allowed the 5th least amount of time to throw and the Colts the 2nd most.  

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He was actually was 5th in TTT, while JB was bottom 5. The stress it will remove from the OL will be huge. Our OL will absolutely love that, and it wouldn't shock me if the OL graded out 1st this year. Add in that teams won't focus on the run as much, and the stress is removed from the running game too.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I ran across a stat that showed the Chargers allowed the 5th least amount of time to throw and the Colts the 2nd most.  

Yup, LAC was bad. Their Ts allowed the second most pressure in the league. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

He was actually was 5th in TTT, while JB was bottom 5. The stress it will remove from the OL will be huge. Our OL will absolutely love that, and it wouldn't shock me if the OL graded out 1st this year. Add in that teams won't focus on the run as much, and the stress is removed from the running game too.

Yup, LAC was bad. Their Ts allowed the second most pressure in the league. 

He could really open up the offense so that whoever is the next QB doesn't think it needs to be run like when Brissett plays.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Myles said:

He could really open up the offense so that whoever is the next QB doesn't think it needs to be run like when Brissett plays.  

Absolutely. Even with that horrible OL, he was #10 in True Completion %, #5 in play action completion %, and #12 in pressured completion %.

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Wilson should be gone

Desir has had some fantastic games the past two years .......  (He had some stinker games this year but he was nicked......)

Tell is/was a ROOKIE.... give him some time

I think you almost have to take a CB somewhere in the draft every year

• Like 1
11 hours ago, runthepost said:

No you don’t. You need one of the two but not both. A really good backfield can help make a dline that lacks punch look better but a really good dline can absolutely make an average backfield look twice as good as they are. You still need talent and a good scheme but I’d rather have the upfront horses if I can only choose one section of it. That’s my take. 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I still want another DT with a high pick.  I am not sold on Turay, Stewart or Lewis.  Buckner is going to get double teamed so we need another DT that can generate pressure

Turay is a DE. Lewis is more DE than 3T. Stewart/NT won't be in on passing downs. 

You're going to see Houston/Autry/Buckner/Turay on passing downs. Teams won't be able to double enough guys lol... Lewis and Houston will benefit a lot. 

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Desir is obviously a brigge gap solution, and Wilson is trending out. But Tell? Imo, he's everything but a guy to loose at this stage. He looked very-very promising in that limited role he had last year. He is still raw, and needs to learn a lot (he's a converted safety after all who never played CB before), but I see a ton of potential in him. Maybe not in 2020, but eventually. It's wouldn't surprise me if he exceeds Yasins ceiling, who by the way I also like.

12 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I agree Desir has to prove if he has it or not. He regressed last year, some competition for #1CB would make this Defense top tier. I do believe we need another talented DE to insure that.