*Colts re-sign Justin Houston- This may be after the draft but as of now I think he is the best chance to help our pass rush not take a step back unless we want to try Ingram or Clowney.
**I still have hope Ertz could end up available but if not oh well.
Here we go... yep. No trades.
1. Sam Cosmi- LT- The time to replace AC is now. This may not technically be the best valued player available but he's not far off. If we wait until 54 I think there will have been a run on the best remaining OTs. Take a quality athletic LT at 21 and keep the o-line in great shape. Next year we are likely without a 1st, there may not be a better time. We could trade back but that's hard to predict. We would need a great deal to pass on our pick of the litter imo.
2. Ifeatu Melifonwu- CB- Great fit. Tall, athletic, excels in zone. Not quite as big a need as DE but not far behind. Rhodes only has one year for now and I, like others, would like to see an upgrade over RYS.
4. Elerson Smith- DE- With the need at LT and the lack of value in round two we opt to dig for athletic upside for our pass rush addition. We come up with Smith. He's a bit of a forum favorite and I get why. We can't confidently fix every issue this year imo, but if you can't, at least find some upside.
5. Dazz Newsome‐ WR- We may very well pass up a lot of good value at WR this draft but the good news is some solid prospects are likely to fall into the later rounds. An explosive prospect who can compete with Campbell to replace Hilton as our little guy speedster. Lol
6. Quentin Morris- TE- One of my favorite late round prospects. With this being an average to below average TE class after Pitts, Morris offers some upside to provide us with a move TE down the line.
7. Franklin McCain III- CB- Borrowing again from a pool of forum recommendations. You can't realistically expect late round guys to all be hits but I'm down for investing those final picks in depth we can groom.
- Cosmi and Melifonwu are my favorite no trade 1-2 realistic punch. Value and need matches pretty nicely imo.
-I've seen Newsome graded as a 2nd rounder but most have him at rounds 4-5. He also ran a 4.38 so I might be a bit optimistic about his availability
-I could always do another mock but I don't see my view changing much from now until the 29th.
I'd like to hear the board's thoughts on this topic from more of an outside perspective. From my experience Steelers fans fall into two camps (generally speaking); totally irrational and loyal to the death, highly critical of anything to do with Pittsburgh Football unless it results in a championship (and not always in a rational manner).
Now for my thinking, this issue should have been addressed much sooner, but if nothing else after the disaster that was the 2019 season. You have an aging QB who just blew his elbow out and were starting "junior varsity" replacements. You have been bleeding free agents all off season in 2020 and have lost or watched the decline of key players at LT, C, LB, RB, S, CB and just resigned a WR free agent. Plus, you also need a LG. These stooges are actually suggesting using a 2nd round pick on a QB from college when the decision to do nothing about the QB position has caused half the team to get sent packing because you have next to nothing to spend in free agency.
This is after these same people lauded the Dwayne Haskins singing as a "steal". Pittsburgh literally got him for nothing this year after WFT ate all the "bad" in his contract, a 15th overall pick coming into his 3rd year in the NFL who drastically needed a change of scenery.
I'm convinced that if it was up to Tomlin he would have already moved on. We all know he's a master at coach speak at the podium but he's a completely different guy otherwise. Even at that, he's started to unravel a bit because you can tell he's getting frustrated with some of his more recent public comments. He is no BSer. I get the warm fuzzy feeling we all have when a team is loyal to a player who has been valuable and produced at a high level, but I mean even New England and Indianapolis let Manning and Brady walk after all of their success.
Please tell me in what universe does any of this even make sense? I am confused.