Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
MTC

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

It puts in play trading back into the first for someone like Love. 

I have no problem with that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Someone please make me feel better about giving up the 13th pick pleasaase

We just got a 1st team ALL PRO at a position of NEED, with the 13th pick.   There, feel better?  The odds of getting a 1st team All Pro at pick #13 arent great...now we have a "sure thing" instead of "potential"  And he is only 25, so just entering his prime.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

2. ends the QB talk 

 

 

Not even close. Ends the QB at #13 talk...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MTC said:

To anyone saying we paid too much: 

 

The cap is increasing every year, we’ll look back in two or three years time and not think of anything of it.

 

Yep...I am not sure I love it from the asset exchange standpoint...but I don't care about the contract. Would have been fine giving Clowney something similar as well.

 

Colts had been rolling over like $40M in cap space every offseason...spending like 85% of the available amount. This is much more preferable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

Armstead got $17m/year. I like Buckner a lot better, always have. 

 

Hurts to give up the pick, though. That means no Jordan Love, sorry. Also out of range for Herbert. Maybe a guy like Fromm or Eason later on. 

 

Most likely adding Rivers, I assume. 

34 and 44 gets you in the late teens. If Love drops... although, this move seems more like a win now move so I don't quite expect Ballard to give up 2 high seconds for a player that's going to sit. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

Not even close. Ends the QB at #13 talk...

Agreed

 

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The QB talk never stops but it ends the trade up into the top 10 talk to draft a QB talk

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Buckner is a great player and a huge upgrade on the defensive line but giving up a first round pick was too much. The 49ers couldn’t afford to keep him and no team drafting near the top 10 would have gave up their first round pick. This was a bad move by Ballard. 

We got an all pro with the 13th pick.  Great move.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Very good player. I'm not sure he's worth either that contract or that pick... let alone both at the same time... Oh well... I guess we could do worse. :dunno:

He was an ALL PRO and is only 25.  You dont get that with the 13th pick very often, if at all

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Superfly said:

There goes everybody’s mock drafts. lol

spider man lol GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m 100% all for this. Those saying otherwise need to realize what we just pulled, and also realize what type of Dline we have now. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocked by this. Like the player but wouldn't have given up that pick or given him that contract.

 

Hes going to have to produce BIG TIME otherwise this could be Ballard's Richardson moment.

  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ain't mad at it. 

 

Kinda loved the idea of Love.

 

But DeBuck is proven, and our defense just got a lot better. Trust the clipboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stitches said:

34 and 44 gets you in the late teens. If Love drops... although, this move seems more like a win now move so I don't quite expect Ballard to give up 2 high seconds for a player that's going to sit. 

 

I think we are talking about future picks at this point. Need those Day Two picks for playmakers. Maybe trade up from #34 though...but #44 needs to be a WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Indyfan4life said:

I’m 100% all for this. Those saying otherwise need to realize what we just pulled, and also realize what type of Dline we have now. 

If this works out we’ll finally be able to rush with just our front 4. That’s what they’ve wanted since day 1.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I don’t like this at all. We needed to address pressing concerns with that pick. 

 

is DT not a glaring need and did we not just address it?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Don't like this at all especially since we gave up our 13th overall pick. I would've thought we could've made this deal for 34. We could have gotten someone like Kinlaw or possibly even Brown on a cheaper contract than Buckner at 13. 

 

I think Ballard could have possibly gotten Chris Jones for a little less. This move seems a bit desperate to me. Now I think it's safe to say we all have very high expectations of Bucker making this DL great. 

 

They just gave Jones the non-exclusive tag. The conversation starts with two 1sts. They won't get that, but you're not getting him for less than one 1st.

 

I'm meh on Kinlaw, personally.

 

I have very high expectations for Buckner. If he isn't excellent for us for the next three years, this will prove to be a bad trade. But those expectations are based on how highly I regard Buckner, which goes back to before he was drafted. He's a stud, and there's no reason to expect him to fall off in Indy. If he meets expectations, he's the best interior linemen we've ever had.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this first hit the NFL Channel, I was stunned.  Now I'm pumped!  Buckner is a beast and will shore up a MASSIVE shortcoming on our D-line.  I agree with what was said above:  Ballard believes a QB will slip into the 2nd or, he has another plan to go along with Rivers or Carr.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Hes going to have to produce BIG TIME otherwise this could be Ballard's Richardson moment.

The only way I would agree with this, is if we have Buckner run the ball. Even then he might do better than Trent. 

 

On another note, I remember Supe wanting this player. Nice job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

 

We just got a 25-year-old All-Pro at a crucial position on the defense.

 

 

Thanks! I know a lot of Draft nerds (and I'm one myself) will feel immediately sad about losing that 1st rounder, but Buckner is an all-pro and 25. After we presumably extend him at some point he can be a key piece on our line for years. Had 7.5 sacks this past year. 12 sacks in 2018. He's a step down from the likes of Chris Jones, but his contract in the immediate is not bad to take on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stitches said:

34 and 44 gets you in the late teens. If Love drops... although, this move seems more like a win now move so I don't quite expect Ballard to give up 2 high seconds for a player that's going to sit. 

 

Some GMs have been quoted saying Love is a Day 2 guy, I just find that hard to believe based on the conversations and hype. But if he drops to #34, I assume Ballard will be all over it. I don't see him moving up, though...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure he's good. But spend a 1st rounder if you're not in a superbowl window?

2nd rounder would've done it. 

  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping they would draft a DT at 13.   They used the pick for an all pro.    Great deal.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Actually...just swap out the token Kinlaw pick...and it's pretty much in line with what many wanted (not me...but oh well).

I would've preferred Kinlaw over Herbert at #13 anyway, so I'm OK with it. And I don't expect Ballard to draft a QB at #34 because IMO none of the ones who'll be available then are worth a pick that high. I wouldn't be surprised if both Eason and Hurts last until #44, and I wouldn't be totally shocked if one of them lasted until #75.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's not like Ballard has telegraphed his thoughts on the O and D Lines....he's honestly one of the most transparent GMs out there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PeterBowman said:

it's not like Ballard has telegraphed his thoughts on the O and D Lines....he's honestly one of the most transparent GMs out there.

 

He really is, but this is a big swing, and he hasn't taken any of those until now. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't like it at first, thought about it some. I like what it adds to our defense, This will make the game easier for everyone else, including Leonard. Our offense still leaves much to be desired but this has solidified our DL.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Myles said:

We got an all pro with the 13th pick.  Great move.

An all pro that was 7th overall pick and outperformed his expectations... go on twitter and see the 49ers fans crying the blues they paid Armstead and not Buckner. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

Some GMs have been quoted saying Love is a Day 2 guy, I just find that hard to believe based on the conversations and hype. But if he drops to #34, I assume Ballard will be all over it. I don't see him moving up, though...

IMO it could depend on what other teams do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Got a known vs unknown rookie DT.

Absolfrickenlootely 

 

Rookie DT is a A Risk

 

An ALL PRO.... is Much less of a risk... at a dire position of need

 

Im all for it

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess one positive is everything I'm hearing from 49ers fans are that he was a great player from the start for them. They much preferred him over Arik Armstead. Still not a huge fan of giving up high 1st round picks for a 26 year old player though. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

They just gave Jones the non-exclusive tag. The conversation starts with two 1sts. They won't get that, but you're not getting him for less than one 1st.

 

I'm meh on Kinlaw, personally.

 

I have very high expectations for Buckner. If he isn't excellent for us for the next three years, this will prove to be a bad trade. But those expectations are based on how highly I regard Buckner, which goes back to before he was drafted. He's a stud, and there's no reason to expect him to fall off in Indy. If he meets expectations, he's the best interior linemen we've ever had.

 

I think Kinlaw and Buckner are in different leagues from a prospect level. Buckner was the best IDL player in NCAAF his senior season...AND he was raw. That draft class was loaded at the top as well.

 

Colts now get him entering his prime.

 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I guess one positive is everything I'm hearing from 49ers fans are that he was a great player from the start for them. They much preferred him over Arik Armstead. Still not a huge fan of giving up high 1st round picks for a 26 year old player though. 

 

At least we aren't the Falcons...who just gave up a mid 2nd round pick for a mediocre, soon-to-be 27 year-old TE who has yet to show much of anything in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Didn't like it at first, thought about it some. I like what it adds to our defense, This will make the game easier for everyone else, including Leonard. Our offense still leaves much to be desired but this has solidified our DL.

Same here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Just watch the play of the LB's now chitlins. 

 

:strong:

Yep.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...