Indianapolis Colts
MTC

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

Understand those of you who are mad. You wanted a QB with that pick. However if this true regardless the pick was going to be on defense. I’m not upset at all. When was the last time this team had a monster at DT? 

• Like 1

I am not even sure what to make of this. I am going to assume the Colts WON'T be rolling a ton of cap space into next season...considering they just used their most valuable asset via trade. This could get real exciting.

Colts fans should be excited about this. Ballard gave up the 13th overall pick but in return he gets an all pro, pro bowl, stud DT who can stop the run as well as rush the passer. Ballard will most likely draft either Eason, Hurts, or Fromm given that Love is going to go in the 1st round. 

I wouldn't mind Jalen Hurts to be honest. Jalen can sit behind Phillip Rivers for a year or 2 until he's ready. 

I will take this deal. Buckner is a proven, young, dominant NFL player.

• Like 1

Awesome!!!!   Didnt see it coming at all but I knew that the DLine was going to be a priority

3 Tech makes this D click!!!

• Like 2

I had mentioned after watching San Fran in the playoffs and most of the season that Ballard would try his absolute best to create a D Line that could pressure similar to what those guys do.  Also that butt whipping New Orleans put on us really motivated him.  We got absolutely no pressure in that game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Don't like this at all especially since we gave up our 13th overall pick. I would've thought we could've made this deal for 34. We could have gotten someone like Kinlaw or possibly even Brown on a cheaper contract than Buckner at 13. 

I think Ballard could have possibly gotten Chris Jones for a little less. This move seems a bit desperate to me. Now I think it's safe to say we all have very high expectations of Bucker making this DL great. 

And you know this how? You don’t. I’m not exactly thrilled with this deal but we don’t know who was available or for how much

• Thanks 1

I'm all about this trade! Buckner is a great player, he would be a better addition and make a quicker impact compared to any D-lineman we'd pick at #13 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm fine with it, though I'll admit the excitement on the QB mystery on draft day just took a massive hit, haha.  I would have been fine trading 13 for Chris Jones and an extra pick or 2, but it's not like Ballard plays loose with his draft picks.  If he was willing to send the first rounder, then he REALLY likes the player.  Let's get it, Buckner!

• Like 2

Just now, Superfly said:

There goes everybody’s mock drafts. lol

Yep

Hello Phillip Rivers or Derek Carr!   I'm betting Ballard is fairly sure one of these QBs who we think is going in Rd 1 will be available in Rd 2.   Wonder if they still have any real interest in Clowney or was that not real?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Colts fans should be excited about this. Ballard gave up the 13th overall pick but in return he gets an all pro, pro bowl, stud DT who can stop the run as well as rush the passer. Ballard will most likely draft either Eason, Hurts, or Fromm given that Love is going to go in the 1st round. 

I wouldn't mind Jalen Hurts to be honest. Jalen can sit behind Phillip Rivers for a year or 2 until he's ready. 

Chad is the future.. No QB taken this year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Lol, the QB talk is just starting... and it might not end for years to come. 

Haha. Ballard just traded a mid-1st round pick (something many said he would never do) AND gave that player a monster contract (another thing many said he wouldn't do). 

The QB talk is just getting heated up. Ballard is now unpredictable...who knows what he will do now. Future picks are absolutely in play. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Lol, the QB talk is just starting... and it might not end for years to come. 

The QB talk never stops but it ends the trade up into the top 10 talk to draft a QB talk

• Like 1

Sure thing player...high floor....with the 13th pick.  And its at 3T.  Fits my criteria for a big....

Whoopie!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superfly said:

There goes everybody’s mock drafts. lol

Actually...just swap out the token Kinlaw pick...and it's pretty much in line with what many wanted (not me...but oh well).

• Like 4

If you want a 3T you have to pay for it.  Can't run this D without a dominant one...

• Like 5

To anyone saying we paid too much: 

The cap is increasing every year, we’ll look back in two or three years time and not think of anything of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

The QB talk never stops but it ends the trade up into the top 10 talk to draft a QB talk

It puts in play trading back into the first for someone like Love. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Chad is the future.. No QB taken this year

If Chad was the future, he would've gotten his shot when Jacoby went down last season. They went with Hoyer over Chad. That speaks volumes. 

• Like 1

Considering the size of this contract I'm wondering if Rivers might suddenly become too expensive and they might turn their attention to Bridgewater.   Hopefully Carr is still a possibility.  

• Sad 2

TALENT. This dude is that and so much more. We needed talent, Ballard added talent. We needed a 3 tech to drive this thing. Ballard found it... Keep adding talent to this roster Chris Ballard and let’s (insert expletive of choice) ROLL. 

• Like 2

I do like this but it makes signing rivers more important.  We should be a playoff team if that happens.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hello Phillip Rivers or Derek Carr!   I'm betting Ballard is fairly sure one of these QBs who we think is going in Rd 1 will be available in Rd 2.   Wonder if they still have any real interest in Clowney or was that not real?

Buckner AND Clowney would be incredible. Get a QB.. and then spend the entire draft on skill positions.

now if we can package our 2nds to move into the 1st again for a QB I'm totally happy if bot I'm gonna be pretty bummed 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Very good player. I'm not sure he's worth either that contract or that pick... let alone both at the same time... Oh well... I guess we could do worse. :dunno:

Armstead got $17m/year. I like Buckner a lot better, always have. 

Hurts to give up the pick, though. That means no Jordan Love, sorry. Also out of range for Herbert. Maybe a guy like Fromm or Eason later on. 

Most likely adding Rivers, I assume. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DownHillRunner said:

If Chad was the future, he would've gotten his shot when Jacoby went down last season. They went with Hoyer over Chad. That speaks volumes. 

Sure does!! 9mil volumes...Ha!! That's why Hoyer got the starts, 9mil, nothing more

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Buckner is a great player and a huge upgrade on the defensive line but giving up a first round pick was too much. The 49ers couldn’t afford to keep him and no team drafting near the top 10 would have gave up their first round pick. This was a bad move by Ballard. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I wanted a defensive tackle with the first pick. Now we have one. Love it.

Same here.  We got a stud all pro with the 13th pick in the draft.

• Like 3