Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A few moves this morning

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I didn't think Hoyer did, but the article says there's only a 3M savings (and I know he was set to make 5M this year). I need to look at his contract, but assume he's got some type of guarantee it the article is right. But wouldn't a guarantee that has to be paid out this year or next, but part of dead cap? I'm totally confused lol

Yes me too. lol

I was just looking at Kelly's stats and how many games he was active for last season and just happen to run across that Kelly and Hoyer could be cut with no dead cap hit. 

That link is in Where does Jacoby go? thread if you care to look at it. 

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes me too. lol

I was just looking at Kelly's stats and how many games he was active for last season and just happen to run across that Kelly and Hoyer could be cut with no dead cap hit. 

That link is in Where does Jacoby go? thread if you care to look at it. 

I just looked at his profile on both sport track and over the cap.

sport track says in one place that his contract was 9M in guarantees, and in another place, it says 5M in guarantees. It shows a dead cap hit of 2M in 2019, and nothing in 2020. When I cut him in their tool, it say I saved 5M.

on over the cap, it shows he has a dead cap hit this year of 2M, and a savings of 3M (which I'm assuming is where the article perhaps got it's info)..... 

Anyway, two sites say two different things lol... 

:wall:

:dunno:

:loco:

:thinking:

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Anyway, two sites say two different things lol... 

:wall:

:dunno:

:loco:

:thinking:

I had it in my mind that Hoyer did had some guaranteed money come to him so it surprised me when I read he could be cut with no dead cap hit. That came from CBSSports so I'm not too sure about their record. 

It wouldn't be the first time different information was present between different sites.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I had it in my mind that Hoyer did had some guaranteed money come to him so it surprised me when I read he could be cut with no dead cap hit. That came from CBSSports so I'm not too sure about their record. 

It wouldn't be the first time different information was present between different sites.

I just found the original Indy Star article and it says 9M in guarantees. So assuming 2M in DC this year.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Wow, I forgot about teams being able to split dead cap hits. So cutting JB could mean a cap savings of 15.1M instead of just 8.75M this year... 

On Hoyer, says only 3M, but I thought it was 5M (didn't see a dead cap on him IIRC).

Regardless, that's 18-20M savings.

Would be solid I think if we could get him.  We need a replacement for Sheard.

Clowney plays the run well and the presence of Houston, Turay and Buckner would

really help to get him loose.  He's better than 4 sack a year guy for sure.

Cut Kelly and Hoyer and keep JB as a back up that knows the system and has starting experience. Draft a QB like Gordon and you have 3 QBs for the 53 man roster.

If we are truly never going to play Kelly or Hoyer in a meaningful game again, I see no point having them, to be honest. JB is a tough boy, he can handle it. Ultimately, when push comes to shove, it comes down to who they trust being a capable back up that can win them games.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

This....Clowney is an elite run stuffer and while he's not the best pass rusher in the game, he still has to be accounted for and can take over games from time to time. 

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ebron is a steeler. 2 year 12 m. That has to be for both years and not one year. He better hope Ben comes back or he is going to be crying with those backups.

This is very unfortunate how things ended up between us and Ebron.  I loved his spirit and thought he would prove to be great for our team.  He never was known for consistent greatness, but he made some big time plays during his time with us that made me happy he was a Colt. He was very quick to complain though, some maturity issues he still needs to work out personally. I was just hoping he would work all that out and really reach his full potential with us. :( 
I agree with you, he will be unhappy if he finds himself having to play with those backups - and he will make sure everyone knows it!

6 hours ago, krunk said:

If the math easily works, and doesn't prohibit us from doing other things we need to, I would be all for it! I doubt they want to pay that much bank, even if for only 2 years though.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If the math easily works, and doesn't prohibit us from doing other things we need to, I would be all for it! I doubt they want to pay that much bank, even if for only 2 years though.

Market is balking at his price so we will see how low he goes to make it work

11 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Terrific signing. Smart to continue to giving an aging Brees weapons. Ballard better do the same

He certainly does need to do the same.  I think this signing should get the ball rolling with the other WR.  Between Cooper and Sanders the guideposts have been set. 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know if this makes sense. A old guy on the downside of his career.

I think it does make some sense.  Rivers familiarity with him.  Much like Grigson bringing in Fleener and Pep with Luck .  

14 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Terrific signing. Smart to continue to giving an aging Brees weapons. Ballard better do the same

Now, with both Michael Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, it is a great 1/2 punch for them. With an accurate QB like Brees, those slants that Sanders is good on, will be spot on. 

Now, Broncos made out like a bandit with the 49ers having nothing to show for the 3rd and 5th they gave to the Broncos.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You would think we can get something similar for Jacoby, but teams don't wanna take a 15 mil hit. Colts need to cover some of the hit imo to move him

We are past that point already(the deadline to save 15M was yesterday). Other teams now will only have to pay about 8-9M of his salary if they trade for him. 

Archived