Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

how long

GRUMPY OLD MAN

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Irsays own words were that he would be a part of determining the QB position along with Ballard, so he’s not firing Ballard based on that. 

Not saying he would fire Ballard over just that. Ballard I'm sure is responsible for preparing the overall strategy, and presents it to Irsay. That will translate into discussion and input. At the end of the day, we'll never know who pushes what outcome in the QB conversation, and how hard each (Irsay, Ballard, Reich) pushes their opinion. If all three agree, that's great. If not, we really won't know who is on the hook for the ultimate decision. 

5 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

how long will irsay keep ballard around? his fill the roster with draft picks and low dollar free agents seems to be putting us behind the rest of our division based on our record dropping each season, we should be rising not falling farther behind in our division

What is wrong with you lol you know we lost our franchise QB 2 weeks before the start of the season. Completely out of Ballards control. And you know this.

Now with knowing this, you're still gonna make a post about us falling behind in the division and make it about Ballards team building philosophy?? My God man.

5 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

Weird timing @DEFENSE, considering we just re-signed Costanzo to a new deal. Here's a secret, Costanzo re-signed because Ballard is getting us a new QB, and that all but proves it. Ballard knows what he is doing here. He may be cheap in FA, but that's a whole different issue. The team is also better now then 3 years ago. Brissett was horrible, but that wasn't Ballard's fault. A new beginning starts today. Trust me, we'll be fine! :thmup:

6 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

this draft pick method could go on and take us down look at cleveland

I have to disagree with you here. Aggressively spending and looking for instant gratification with no regard for future success is how you become a Cleveland (and we’ll never be a Cleveland, we have an owner who is passionate about the Colts). I understand how you feel, but the teams in our division realistically don’t have staying power. Ballard’s plan is to keep us on top once we’re there. Like every good golf coach says “trust the process”

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's one of the many reasons I think he makes a move (at QB). He'll get no patience if he sticks with JB, a little patience if he goes to a FA, and most patience if he drafts a QB. 

i agree , he needs an immediate upgrade at qb but he seems to like jb

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Weird timing @DEFENSE, considering we just re-signed Costanzo to a new deal. Here's a secret, Costanzo re-signed because Ballard is getting us a new QB, and that all but proves it. Ballard knows what he is doing here. He may be cheap in FA, but that's a whole different issue. The team is also better now then 3 years ago. Brissett was horrible, but that wasn't Ballard's fault. A new beginning starts today. Trust me, we'll be fine! :thmup:

i hope you are right

6 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i agree , he needs an immediate upgrade at qb but he seems to like jb

"Seems to" and the truth can often be far apart.  I take it you've never been on either end of someone firing a person they liked.... Or a relationship that didn't work out because of any reason other than dislike?

20 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

"Seems to" and the truth can often be far apart.  I take it you've never been on either end of someone firing a person they liked.... Or a relationship that didn't work out because of any reason other than dislike?

wrong!! i have had to fire people i liked because of poor job performance, just like irsay has had to, remember grigs and chuck

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....   it’s actually bored people but we all knew what you were going for!

And I don’t want anyone calling me a grammar Nazi!  

And it's also "coronavirus", not "cornoavirse", but sometimes you have to suspend all knowledge of the rules of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure that you learned by the 6th grade in order to read this bored board. [And please pardon the Oxford comma in that run-on sentence. Sometimes I just can't help myself.]

17 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

i agree bad breaks, but he is getting paid to handle any what if

It's intellectually lazy to just look at the results and then, if it's bad, demand that the team fires everyone. The process is working. The reason the results haven't happened other than 2 years ago is obviously because we haven't recovered from one of the best QBs in the league retiring in his prime. Anyone who looks at the how and why instead of just the what can see that

47 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

It's intellectually lazy to just look at the results and then, if it's bad, demand that the team fires everyone. The process is working. The reason the results haven't happened other than 2 years ago is obviously because we haven't recovered from one of the best QBs in the league retiring in his prime. Anyone who looks at the how and why instead of just the what can see that

if you watch the games it is easy to see areas of need everywhere and a lack of game changers, the poor showing of talent he is responsible for plus filling the roster with just average or below talent

5 hours ago, gspdx said:

One data point - the 2019 season - is not a trend. 

Also, we could call the 2018 season an outlier because that's the only season Ballard had a "good" QB.

If you just look at 2017 and 2019, the team improved from 4-12 to 7-9 despite very subpar QB play.

Now if a QB as good as Luck can take a 4-12 team and go 10-6 the following year, then I'm excited to see what a good QB can do with this 7-9 team that Ballard has built (and will likely improve this offseason).

On 3/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, DEFENSE said:

our record speaks for him

He was forced to have a head coach in his first year who he had fundamental philosophical disagreements with (especially on defense).  He has had 2 seasons where his QB was not who he planned (TBH, Luck was a QB that made the job of being the Colts' GM a highly coveted position despite the mess that Grigs turned this team into).

I am pretty sure everyone of Ballard's draft picks are still in the NFL (albeit, not all with us).  He has gotten our cap into a very good position and hasn't overpaid (so far) for any FAs, in part knowing that we're going to have to give big contracts out to Q, Leonard, Braden Smith and others who he's brought into this organization via draft.  Grigs was overpaying for almost every player he brought in through FA (RJF, Landry, Arthur Jones, etc. all come to mind -- plus the T-Rich debacle, the drafting of B. Werner with a number 1, etc. etc. etc.).  

The fact that this team could have been in the playoffs last year save our K costing us between 3-5 games is a tribute to how well of a job Ballard has done to this point.

Archived