Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have re-signed Castonzo

CR91

Nice. If this is him committing to 2 years rather than one, this indeed is great news for us. Plans change all the time, but Ballard will have easier time going BPA rather than trying to address one of the biggest needs in the draft. I still expect us to draft a developmental OT somewhere around R3-R4 if someone like Matt Peart falls. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Nice. If this is him committing to 2 years rather than one, this indeed is great news for us. Plans change all the time, but Ballard will have easier time going BPA rather than trying to address one of the biggest needs in the draft. I still expect us to draft a developmental OT somewhere around R3-R4 if someone like Matt Peart falls. 

Or a R5 late round sleeper Alex Taylor of South Carolina State that I like. :) 

4 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Cool. Not sure if it changes our draft strategy at all since it is a two year and not one year, but it does feel good hearing we probably have the left side covered for a couple more years. 

Glad he’s back in the fold.  I am sure AC coming back does change their draft strategy.  If he wasn’t they had to think seriously about a left tackle at 13.  Two years means they can rule out a left tackle in this draft and not HAVE to get one next year but if he’s the best guy on the board when they pick in 2021 I think they take one so they aren’t “forced” into it in 2022.

With Castonzo re-signed for 2 years Ballard has basically given he and Dodds 2-3 drafts to find the next stud LT for the team.

2020 &2021 if they have physically/mentally talented yet raw athlete they can mold found in rounds 4-7 OR 2022 draft the best LT they can in the 1st Round.

17 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Glad hear AC contract has been settled. Does anyone think La'Raven Clark will be retained at the end of next season and/or make the leap to starting roster?

I think we probably draft AC future replacement while giving us oline depth until he retires. So I think Clark will be gone but maybe he sticks around with a contract until training camp. Getting someone in the draft gives us a option if smith or AC get injured while grooming him for the future.

2 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I was hoping for three years, but this is still great news. I think that's one less position of need at the top of this year's draft.

Since he only wants to play for the Colts one year would have been fine. I am just hoping there is ZERO guaranteed money in year 2.
In case he does a walk away after this season like his Pal did.

30 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Since he only wants to play for the Colts one year would have been fine. I am just hoping there is ZERO guaranteed money in year 2.
In case he does a walk away after this season like his Pal did.

18 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Not anymore...highest paid LT in the NFL.

Yep, well deserved. Keep in mind the salary cap is rising and he's just the next great LT to get a new contract. Other LTs in the following months and years will surpass him as the time comes for them to get extended/hit FA. 

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep, well deserved. Keep in mind the salary cap is rising and he's just the next great LT to get a new contract. Other LTs in the following months and years will surpass him as the time comes for them to get extended/hit FA. 

Oh for sure...just funny for PFF to call him underrated when he just signed the highest AAV...though it’s a technicality because Lane Johnson actually has the highest AAV of all tackles...but he’s a RT.

And Ramczyk is going to likely break that. I also think we will likely see Tyron Smith get a nice pay raise in the next year or two.

The price of poker is just going up and up. Nelson’s new contract is going to be stomach-churning at first glance...and will rival OT contracts.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Also, he could have even said "4 years or no deal" and went and got big money elsewhere (and retired after 2 years). But he was honest instead, told the world he was close retiring, and will undoubtedly earn every penny he gets paid on this deal. 

Applause to AC as well as the front office. 

I remember before the season started I posted in a thread he was going to make between 16-18 mil per year and some mocked me for that since he was never a pro bowl guy. Goes to show when you have a top 10 LT in the league your going to make that type of cash. Well worth it. Glad he's on board for 2 more years.

Glad it's for two years. Gives us more options the next two years. 

I never like paying #1 money, but happy to do it knowing it's only 2 years and that we have plenty of cap.

Let's us either skip OT for a year, or take a shot at a middle round developmental guy this year.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well that sure was a change over what was thought of AC before last season.

There were some in here that wanted him gone and making comments he was no good. 

Just goes to show that quite a few didn't have a clue. 

Just goes to show how unappreciated he is

I’ll admit, before the end of the season, AC was thought of as a high level guy, not top 5 and that he wouldn’t hit 12 million let alone 15+ Environment has changed with the new deal going through and he was a definite need. A guy you know and wouldn’t want to replace without having an option with promise. He deserves it and we have it. Two things that intermingle. Unless he has said I’m playing this year for sure and 50% chance next year, no need for an OT this draft in day 1 or 2. I’d maybe look for a project guy with tons of upside, raw, with measurables but needs refined for 1-2 seasons or just pick day 1-2 next year. Short version is we have options. 

Archived