Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

League official statement and moves related to the virus

csmopar

Well, there's more.

"There are a growing number of NFL clubs who do not plan to travel to any college pro days or on-site campus private workouts for the foreseeable future, sources added.

There is a growing sense that such showcases will be canceled soon anyway, even though there has been no league mandate.

Player agents have told the Daily News and posted publicly, though, that the NFL has informed agents that all prospects’ scheduled Top-30 visits to team facilities in the pre-draft process had been canceled."

Colleges have already begun to cancel Pro Days, and Teams have pulled their coaches and scouts off the road. The Jets, Redskins, Giants, Bucs, Falcons, Eagles, Steelers, and Titans that I am aware of so far. With more to come I'm sure.

Most of the (scouting) hay is already in the barn, as they say. Likely the biggest downside is not getting updated medicals on players that were not present at the combine, and an inability to further check out Red Flag players.  Lots of personnel will get some unexpected 'family time for a period of time.

Why would anyone think there is going to be an NFL season when all others sports are cancelled or pushing back starting dates? Pro basketball players have the virus so what chances are there for football players getting it as well? At what stage will the virus be five in six months from now with no vaccine?

38 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Why would anyone think there is going to be an NFL season when all others sports are cancelled or pushing back starting dates? Pro basketball players have the virus so what chances are there for football players getting it as well? At what stage will the virus be five in six months from now with no vaccine?

Because football doesn't start until September.    

54 minutes ago, King Colt said:

We are a long way from the nfl season. I would guess this entire thing will be over in about 6 weeks. That’s usually what happens with these things. Like the flu once  warm weather hits this will probably all die down.

Most of these team owners own private planes. I am sure if they want to see a player bad enough they can fly them in probably if the player agrees.

Non of their pro days will change much if they don’t happen. Maybe some of the guys on the draft bubble.

We are in 2020 with a lot of technology. Skype interviews are already being arranged. I am sure they could even Skype a workout if needed. Even teams doctors can Skype a medical check is needed.

No March Madness, no NBA. Schools in Indiana being shut down. Be safe everyone, this is no joke. My mom and step-dad just got tested and they are negative. I called mom earlier. What the NFL will do with the draft and season is hard telling. The season is still 6 months away. The draft will still happen but maybe to an empty audience. 

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We are a long way from the nfl season. I would guess this entire thing will be over in about 6 weeks. That’s usually what happens with these things. Like the flu once  warm weather hits this will probably all die down.

Likely not-

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-australia-summer-warm-weather-2020-3

"The short answer is that while we may expect modest declines in the contagiousness of SARS-CoV-2 in warmer, wetter weather, and perhaps with the closing of schools in temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere, it is not reasonable to expect these declines alone to slow transmission enough to make a big dent,"   epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch wrote in a post for Harvard University.

Lipsitch's point was underscored on Wednesday by the news that Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson tested positive for the coronavirus in Australia, where it's currently summer

We might see a small decline, not enough to make a notable dent, I feel.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No March Madness, no NBA. Schools in Indiana being shut down. Be safe everyone, this is no joke. My mom and step-dad just got tested and they are negative. I called mom earlier. What the NFL will do with the draft and season is hard telling. The season is still 6 months away. The draft will still happen but maybe to an empty audience. 

Up until I saw the colts draft series I thought all teams were at the draft in meeting rooms. After that series I realized they stay at their headquarters in their city.  Yeah the only thing that will change is there may not be fans in attendance. We are still a long way away from the draft so we will see what happens.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Most of these pandemics usually run their course in about 7 weeks. Of course it might not but just my opinion that this will follow suit.

There are (at least) 2 issues here. One, it's a 'new' virus and few or nobody was 'immune' to it.

"In simple terms, viruses that have been around for a long time can make a living — spread through the population — only when the conditions are the most favorable, in this case in winter."   epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch - Harvard

But never-before-seen viruses like the new coronavirus can "spread outside the normal season for their longer-established cousins," Lipsitch added.

The other is spread of the virus is at peak just as any symptom begins to set in - say a sniffle in the nose for one. People generally don't/won't 'quarantine' or isolate themselves at that stage, or at least, most never have  before.

Between these two items it is not difficult to see how easy it is for SARS-CoV-2 (coronavirus) to spread prolifically.  Fortunately, antibodies are detected by about day 6, which coincides with reduced contagiousness.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Most of these pandemics usually run their course in about 7 weeks. Of course it might not but just my opinion that this will follow suit.

We don't know how long this will run. A doctor on the late show on Thursday night  03/12/20 said 50% of American will be infected. Now that does not mean they will be equally sick. Even if we were so lucky that it ran for only 7 weeks it will return next year. When the northern  hemisphere is warm the southern is cold and every six months it works in reverse. The latest is China is getting it under control but how they do things there won't happen here. When they tell the people to stay indoors they are not asking they are ordering 

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

We don't know how long this will run. A doctor on the late show on Thursday night  03/12/20 said 50% of American will be infected. Now that does not mean they will be equally sick. Even if we were so lucky that it ran for only 7 weeks it will return next year. When the northern  hemisphere is warm the southern is cold and every six months it works in reverse. The latest is China is getting it under control but how they do things there won't happen here. When they tell the people to stay indoors they are not asking they are ordering 

Deep breaths. Take it one day at a time, wash your hands and hope for the best. The NFL regular season is a long 6 months away. What happens between now and then is anyone’s guess at this point. But if they have to delay it, they will. Just take it day by day. No sense in stressing over something most of us can’t control outside of personal hygiene 

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

Take a breath and don’t worry so much. All you can do is take precautions.

I have a auto immune disease and take a immune suppressor. I don’t go out much so am not to worried.  I suggest turn off the tv so they don’t give you a panic attack. Even all these doctors on TV can’t predict what will happen. 

#1 We have no experience in treating this virus. #2 The U.S. does not have adequate hospital accommodations for the projected number of cases. #3 This not yet proven but one source said the strain is mutating already. I have heard nothing further on that. #4 Unless whoever is in charge is confident beyond any and all doubt the stain is temporarily shut down everywhere who will attend a game? #5 The consensus on the number of Americans that are going to be infected is 50% of the population. Those numbers tell me it does not look good for the NFL. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

#1 We have no experience in treating this virus. True

#2 The U.S. does not have adequate hospital accommodations for the projected number of cases. True, but very very few of the people who get it need to be hospitalized.

#3 This not yet proven but one source said the strain is mutating already. I have heard nothing further on that. True, but almost all flu like virus's mutate.

#4 Unless whoever is in charge is confident beyond any and all doubt the stain is temporarily shut down everywhere who will attend a game? If nobody attends the game, then it will be safe to attend the game (a tribute to Yogi Berra)

#5 The consensus on the number of Americans that are going to be infected is 50% of the population. That seems crazy high, but nobody really knows. Those numbers tell me it does not look good for the NFL.

Time will tell. Very true.

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

#1 We have no experience in treating this virus. #2 The U.S. does not have adequate hospital accommodations for the projected number of cases. #3 This not yet proven but one source said the strain is mutating already. I have heard nothing further on that. #4 Unless whoever is in charge is confident beyond any and all doubt the stain is temporarily shut down everywhere who will attend a game? #5 The consensus on the number of Americans that are going to be infected is 50% of the population. Those numbers tell me it does not look good for the NFL. Time will tell.

You didn’t pay attention in biology very well did you. 

when a virus mutates, it loses some of its potency and lethality. It may take on other bad things like being drug resistant or whatever, but mutating is a GOOD thing. Which is exactly why it’s not being talked about much. Media is after ratings. What drives ratings? The shock factor. So they rarely report on the good, only the bad.

And actually we do, coronaviruses have been known about for decades. Heck, the common cold is a coronavirus. The issue is, just like predicting which flu shot to give, to treat and combat it, they have to narrow down which antibodies to put in the vaccines. That’s a process of elimination and takes time. That’s not counting the FDA red tape either. 

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

You didn’t pay attention in biology very well did you. 

when a virus mutates, it loses some of its potency and lethality. It may take on other bad things like being drug resistant or whatever, but mutating is a GOOD thing. Which is exactly why it’s not being talked about much. Media is after ratings. What drives ratings? The shock factor. So they rarely report on the good, only the bad.

And actually we do, coronaviruses have been known about for decades. Heck, the common cold is a coronavirus. The issue is, just like predicting which flu shot to give, to treat and combat it, they have to narrow down which antibodies to put in the vaccines. That’s a process of elimination and takes time. That’s not counting the FDA red tape either. 

You are not up to date on the facts. Yes, it is true about the corona virus being around for decades but ask yourself why then is everyone saying it is the unknown we are dealing with. Second since it is the unknown that drives this issue how do you know what it does when it mutates? Answer: You don't.

20 minutes ago, King Colt said:

You are not up to date on the facts. Yes, it is true about the corona virus being around for decades but ask yourself why then is everyone saying it is the unknown we are dealing with. Second since it is the unknown that drives this issue how do you know what it does when it mutates? Answer: You don't.

As a member of both the military and Law enforcement, I’ve been getting daily briefs from the state health department for the last two weeks. 

yes, there are some unknowns, but so far, it is taking a similar cycle to every other known virus in the past. Doesn’t mean it’ll be exactly the same. But doesn’t mean they won’t be able to manage it in the near future. 

31 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Because it mutated into a different strain. When things mutate from what I understand they actually become weaker 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Because it mutated into a different strain. When things mutate from what I understand they actually become weaker 

Mutations are just 'mistakes' in the new copy of the organism. Huge majority of mutations are non-consequential - they don't have big enough effect on the virus one way or another. Very small part of it are mutations that make it weaker (in some way) and another very small part are mutations that make it stronger(in some way)... or you might have a single mutation that make it both stronger in one way and weaker in another way. For example... one mutation might make it harder to contain, but less deadly... or vice versa... or some other way in which you decide to measure its strength. 

And in the end, no matter who gets it, the VAST majority of people will have symptoms resembling a nasty head cold, if that. And putting all of this into perspective, 60 million + people got the H1N1 flu in 2009 in the US alone; estimates are up to 1.4 billion got it world wide. Its symptoms were nastier than the current virus. The world did not shut down. As of yesterday, what are the official world wide numbers for this new threat to mankind......132,500? This too shall pass. 

Remember, the goal in 'flattening' the infection curve is to reduce burden on hospitals.  If too many people get infected too quickly, by % the number of those needing hospitalization increases. At some point this goes beyond capacity.  Now how are emergency cases to be treated (heart attacks, stroke, cerebral hemorrhage, MVA's, etc...) and even more SARS-Cov-2 infections when the institution is already filled with folks in serious or critical respiratory condition? Forget about election surgical procedures, etc.

The goal of self isolation and quarantine is so people won't transmit to uninfected folks, and also recover (most can) at home without burdening the healthcare institutions leaving them for those that truly need it. 

Here's an interesting article with moving illustrations that show how the infection process and then 'social distancing' principal works-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

On 3/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe, sometimes not. Sample size of genomes for SARS-CoV-2 are still small.

"Few other firm conclusions about the virus’s spread have emerged, in part because the wealth of genomes is still a tiny sample of the more than 100,000 cases worldwide. Although China accounts for 80% of all COVID-19 cases, only one-third of the published genomes are from China—and very few of them are from later cases. And because it’s early in the outbreak, most genomes are still very similar, which makes it hard to draw conclusions."

But here is an interesting piece that demonstrates an infectious mutation and how an outbreak in Washington was missed-

"Like all viruses, SARS-CoV-2 evolves over time through random mutations, only some of which are caught and corrected by the virus’s error correction machinery. Over the length of its 30,000-base-pair genome, SARS-CoV-2 accumulates an average of about one to two mutations per month, Rambaut says. “It’s about two to four times slower than the flu,” he says. Using these little changes, researchers can draw up phylogenetic trees, much like family trees. They can also make connections between different cases of COVID-19 and gauge whether there might be undetected spread of the virus.

For instance, when researchers sequenced the second virus genome in Washington—from a teenager diagnosed with COVID-19 on 27 February—it looked like a direct descendant of the first genome, a case found 6 weeks earlier, that had acquired three further mutations. Bedford tweeted that he considered it “highly unlikely” that the two genomes came from separate introductions. “I believe we are facing an already substantial outbreak in Washington State that was not detected until now,” he wrote. That analysis turned out to be correct: Washington has now reported more than 100 cases and 15 deaths and additional genomes from other patients have bolstered the link. In this case, Bedford’s hypothesis was much stronger because the two patients both came from Snohomish County, Rambaut says: “It’s very unlikely that this highly related virus would travel to exactly the same town in Washington,” he says."

Scientist are and will be scouring the genomic diversity.  I found this comp to SARS in the early 2000's :

"Most genomic changes don’t alter the virus’s behavior, Drosten says. The only way to confirm that a mutation has an effect is to study it in cell cultures or animal models and show, for instance, that it has become better at entering cells or transmitting, he says. And if the virus does change in an important way, it could go either way, making it more or less dangerous. In 2018, Drosten’s group published a paper showing that early in the SARS outbreak of 2002–03, that virus lost a small chunk of its genome, 29 base pairs in one gene. Adding those base pairs back in the lab made the virus much better at replicating in several cell culture models.

It might seem strange that a mutation that weakens the virus would become established, but that can happen when it has just entered the human population and isn’t competing with strains lacking the mutation, Drosten says. “Sadly, this new virus doesn’t have that deletion,” he adds. **

On 3/13/2020 at 1:20 AM, King Colt said:

Perfect! Especially with the availability of the vaccine 12-18 months away!!!!

We don't know the timeline. However, testing (+safety) for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine has already commenced in the Seattle area. The quickest ever development/test to date.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/safety-test-of-first-coronavirus-vaccine-starts-in-seattle-area/

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We don't know the timeline. However, testing (+safety) for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine has already commenced in the Seattle area. The quickest ever development/test to date.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2Test020/03/safety-test-of-first-coronavirus-vaccine-starts-in-seattle-area/

Testing is ongoing all over the world. Getting one approved is what will take much time. Production and distribution are thrown in the to come up with the 12-18 month range given by the experts. If one does make it through my guess is medical and health personnel will be first in line then police, the military then the elderly then who ever is left. Who knows. Hopefully it will diminish enough in the coming month or two to ease the fear and paranoia we see today. 

6 hours ago, King Colt said:

Testing is ongoing all over the world. Getting one approved is what will take much time. Production and distribution are thrown in the to come up with the 12-18 month range given by the experts.

They've taken big shortcuts in fast tracking this.  They tested standard mice as they signed up human testers.  Here is the scoop on it-

"The new vaccine, developed by the biotechnology company Moderna Therapeutics, does not contain the virus that triggers COVID-19, as a conventional vaccine might. Instead, Moderna researchers used a new technique to make messenger RNA  (mRNA), which is similar to mRNA found in  SARS-CoV-2. In theory, the artificial mRNA will act as instructions that prompt human cells to build a protein found on the surface of the virus. That protein would theoretically trigger a protective immune response. Standard vaccines work similarly but use a dead or weak virus as their base, forgoing the process of constructing viral proteins from scratch."

If one does make it through my guess is medical and health personnel will be first in line then police, the military then the elderly then who ever is left.

Seems a prudent choice to me, with elderly above military.

estimate_case_fatality_hubei_age.jpg

Who knows. Hopefully it will diminish enough in the coming month or two to ease the fear and paranoia we see today. 

Social distancing will 'flatten' out the infection curve (instead of a steep and tall bell), which helps relieve the burden of providing rooms hospitals will feel over the next few months.  That may help reduce fear and paranoia. People knowing Nana or a heart attack victim can get proper hospitalization and care.

When reported new infections begin to drop is what I'm looking for. That downtrend, that China has already entered.

Archived