Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL and the corona virus rumors (Merge)


Recommended Posts

The NBA season wasn't cancelled...it was suspended. The NFL season is still very far away.

 

It might (or maybe even likely will) affect the NFL Draft. I looked at flights and hotel for Vegas that week...and they are so cheap right now. You can get 4 nights at the Bellagio and roundtrip airfare for $400 total. A couple months ago, it was $500/night.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The NBA season wasn't cancelled...it was suspended. The NFL season is still very far away.

 

It might (or maybe even likely) affect the NFL Draft. I looked at flights and hotel for Vegas that week...and they are so cheap right now. You can get 4 nights at the Bellagio and roundtrip airfare for $400 total. A couple months ago, it was $500/night.

hot damn, wish i lived in North America!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As several have said.... This is largely manufactured hysteria.  It's literally a severe cold.  The flu kills and critically sickens thousands, upon thousands a year.... And is prevented in the same way this virus is.  This overreacting is absurd.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

hot damn, wish i lived in North America!

 

I am very tempted to book it...it has free cancellation (according to Travelocity). I really don't know how...short of suspending the draft altogether...that they can keep fans away. It's an outdoor venue...and I doubt the casinos are closing. But who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

As several have said.... This is largely manufactured hysteria.  It's literally a severe cold.  The flu kills and critically sickens thousands, upon thousands a year.... And is prevented in the same way this virus is.  This overreacting is absurd.

 

I don't want to mean to get into the politics of it...but it does seem a bit coincidental that within a couple hours...it is reported that a movie star (Tom Hanks) and a US star athlete (Gobert) have tested positive (no less on the same night that Trump addresses the nation). 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

There is no news about the NFL as far as I know. Only the NBA. It's a major jump at this point to suggest impact to the NFL.

It’s not the season but people are starting to speculate that they might alter the draft as to not have people attend.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

I don't want to mean to get into the politics of it...but it does seem a bit coincidental that within a couple hours...it is reported that a movie star (Tom Hanks) and a US star athlete (Gobert) have tested positive (no less on the same night that Trump addresses the nation). 

If it seems coincidental....    that’s because it IS coincidental.   Completely and totally.

 

As the kids like to say these days.... 100 percent.   Honestly.  
 

We’re a big country.   With a huge vibrant economy (until roughly the last two weeks).   There is so much over-lap that there's going to be plenty of coincidental announcements.  Many businesses and organizations are reacting to what others are doing.   We’re in unchartered territory.   There is no coordination of announcements even if it might appear that way from a distance.  
 

Sports-wise....   look for the NHL to make a similar decision soon,   Look for MLB to consider postponing the start of its season as well.

 

The NFL Draft may be impacted.   It’s still about 6-7 weeks away.   This might be old news by then.  But you may not want it to be an event where tens of thousands are gathered together.  The event would still go on, but the logistics would change.   Just thinking out loud....  

 

For right now...   it’s just one day at a time.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad was at the combine with IU health doing heart rate and breathing test on players. He told me word was going around from NFL higher ups is that if the outbreak gets bad then fans will not be at the draft in Vegas. Players will also possibly not be there as well. Possibly the draft may be postponed. There isn’t a source yet because at the time this was being discussed no media was around , and he happened to here a little bit of a conversation while on the toiletlmao . NFL hasn’t said anything just don’t be surprised if something happens. Also stay safe guys !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Meanwhile .... “The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released their estimates for the influenza season from October 1, 2019 and February 29, 2020. During that period, an estimated 34 to 49 million people have been sickened with the flu, with 350,000 to 620,000 hospitalized. The estimated deaths from the flu is between 20,000 and 52,000 people.”

 

The panic over corona is relatively just so out of hand.

Thank god, someone with a post thank has logic in it. I’m in the medical profession and this is the most overhyped, overblown, ridiculously fabricated crisis I’ve ever witnessed in my 25 years in this field. There is zero % increased risk of this virus over the influenza A virus. If you are this worried about COVID-19, you should be scared to fricken death of the flu virus. 
 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Meanwhile .... “The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released their estimates for the influenza season from October 1, 2019 and February 29, 2020. During that period, an estimated 34 to 49 million people have been sickened with the flu, with 350,000 to 620,000 hospitalized. The estimated deaths from the flu is between 20,000 and 52,000 people.”

 

The panic over corona is relatively just so out of hand.

 

 

Right now COVID 19 is 3.4 percent mortality.  I wouldn't mess around with that. It is significantly higher than this years flu. Sure, dont panic, but I would not make light of it. 

 

I think if you look at countries hit hardest by the virus, it seems serious enough to warrant some consideration.  Im washing my hands about double what I used to. Im not going nuts on TP though, what is this a diarrhea epidemic? 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not the season but people are starting to speculate that they might alter the draft as to not have people attend.  

My point is, it's stupid to title a thread (NFL season may be cancelled....), when the season is 6 months away, and nobody has officially said anything. I mean it's not even rumor lol.. Just someone's speculation... It reminds me of mainstream media click bait titles... Sure they may have a fan free draft, but that has zero to do with the season. Like I said... Toooo sooooon...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re in the healthcare business and you thought this was an appropriate post to make?    
 

Seriously?   
 

Dear God.......     :facepalm:

 

Yes I do because the hysteria, and apparently you subscribe into it, is pure craziness! 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

My point is, it's stupid to title a thread (NFL season may be cancelled....), when the season is 6 months away, and nobody has officially said anything. I mean it's not even rumor lol.. Just someone's speculation... It reminds me of mainstream media click bait titles... Sure they may have a fan free draft, but that has zero to do with the season. Like I said... Toooo sooooon...

That’s fair I agree with that.  I was just saying it is impacting the NFL.  With that said I agree it’s way too soon to speculate as if the season will be canceled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re in the healthcare business and you thought this was an appropriate post to make?    
 

Seriously?   
 

Dear God.......     :facepalm:

 

Yes, they did, mostly because it is.  3.4 percent mortality....of known tested, verified cases.... Tons of people ha e had, are having, and will have this strain of coronavirus without ever even knowing it.  This is all quite the overreaction, mostly due to our current societal  need to cover our own * because of overt litigiousness today.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

 

 

Right now COVID 19 is 3.4 percent mortality.  I wouldn't mess around with that. It is significantly higher than this years flu. Sure, dont panic, but I would not make light of it. 

 

I think if you look at countries hit hardest by the virus, it seems serious enough to warrant some consideration.  Im washing my hands about double what I used to. Im not going nuts on TP though, what is this a diarrhea epidemic? 

Let’s put it this way we don’t cancel sporting events and give up millions of dollars for the flu or other outbreaks.  
 

I agree panicking is going over board but people aren’t canceling these things for no reason.  These people don’t give up this kind of money normally at all, to do it is a major warning sign that this should be taken seriously.  
 

Again, panic no.  Take it seriously?  Yes.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Yes I do because the hysteria, and apparently you subscribe into it, is pure craziness! 

 

The people I follow are not into hystgeria...    they are doctors and medical health care professionals of the highest order....    tops in their field.   


And they are telling the exact opposite story as you are.    In fact,  they'd call what you're saying unprofessional and that it's doing a diservice to the public which is badly uninformed.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Yes, they did, mostly because it is.  3.4 percent mortality....of known tested, verified cases.... Tons of people ha e had, are having, and will have this strain of coronavirus without ever even knowing it.  This is all quite the overreaction, mostly due to our current societal  need to cover our own * because of overt litigiousness today.

 

Do you realize that 3.4 percent mortality is dramatically higher than the regular flu which kills rough 30,000 Americans each year?    I think that mortality is roughly 1 percent.   Maybe slightly lower.    So, while the 3.4 percent number may not worry you,  it worries serious health care professionals who know what it means.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

just what we need. more rumors... 

giphy.gif

 

With something as scary as this is don't be surprised.  

Pretty much of everything said in here is rumors or opinions. If enough is thrown around they become facts once in a while. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

just what we need. more rumors... 

giphy.gif

 

Pretty much everything else is being cancelled/moved/emptied out. I’d take this as more than a rumor. 
 

Health is more important than *s

booing picks and being drunk. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Do you realize that 3.4 percent mortality is dramatically higher than the regular flu which kills rough 30,000 Americans each year?    I think that mortality is roughly 1 percent.   Maybe slightly lower.    So, while the 3.4 percent number may not worry you,  it worries serious health care professionals who know what it means.

 

The mortality rate of the flu is 0.1%... the mortality rate of the corona virus is estimated anywhere between 0.6 and 2% right now. The 3.4% is most likely not the case simply because there is sample bias with it (i.e. this is the death rate of the ones that have tested positive and this has bias toward people with the more severe symptoms - a ton of people who have the virus get the mild form and don't even get tested). In any case - this seems like a much more serious one than the flu. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

The mortality rate of the flu is 0.1%... the mortality rate of the corona virus is estimated anywhere between 0.6 and 2% right now. The 3.4% is most likely not the case simply because there is sample bias with it (i.e. this is the death rate of the ones that have tested positive and this has bias toward people with the more severe symptoms - a ton of people who have the virus get the mild form and don't even get tested).

 

Thank you.    But, to be clear,  even with your rates that you quote,  the Carona Virus is still much much higher than the regular flu.    Ultimately,  that is my point.   I'm trying to counter the view that this is being overblown, which I strongly disagree with.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • That sounds good.    I would be fine with 6-8 pm and 9-11 pm ET with a 5 minute window for picks, so 16 picks should be done in 120 minutes. It would be like the real draft starting Day 3, where they get only 5 minutes between picks.     Would you have time around the beginning of April to help moderate this along with me? If it is a small window of time, it is a smaller time commitment on my front and yours, so I like this idea.   I can ask @NFLfan @csmopar and @danlhart87 again if they would be willing to make themselves available for those small windows of time thus giving us plenty of options. Let us bring this thread back up then.
    • First of all, I'd say bad fit for us. He's a 3-4 DE. In our system he'd be a tweener, or maybe even a 3T.  Great against the run, average vs the pass. Very solid 3 down guy overall in a 3-4.   IMO, even if he was a fit, we don't need run D help, and he'd be too expensive. Overall just not the benefit and value we need.    
    • Here's what we did on another board a few years ago. Worked out pretty good. 1 Round per evening 2 windows each night... picks 1-16, and then 17-32 (I think it was 7p-8p and 9-10, but could have been 8-9 and 10-11). That way, guys new pretty much when they needed to be there, and only needed to pay attention for roughly an hour per day. Really not even that long. Also gave the mods some time between windows to tidy up. 3 minute clock hence the "flash" term. If you miss a pick, you drop 5 spots (basically giving them an extra 15 minutes). If they missed it a second time, they get bumped to the end of the round and have up to an hour before the next days round starts. If they miss that, they get best player based on their primary needs.  We had 3 threads going at once, and 3 moderators. One thread for the pick announcements and general comments, one with a constantly updated order and big board, and one to manage trades. The big board management was great in terms of keeping it going and checking off who is gone. We also published team needs, but I can't remember if we tracked it except for using it when folks missed their window. Only trades allowed are pick for pick(s) so very little approval needed. No picks for existing players (We did the mock post FA fury, I think we started about 2 weeks prior to the draft).
    • I didn't say he could be as good as Leonard. I said pretty clearly that if Leonard was 95/100 That I think Oke's ceiling is about 86-90.    By in which I also added that any team would be alright that that level of play. I think you are misunderstanding. Because we both seem to agree that Oke will more than likely be a pretty darn good player. 
  • Members

    • ar7

      ar7 247

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyD4U

      IndyD4U 714

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mackrel829

      Mackrel829 70

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 2,030

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ponyboy

      ponyboy 66

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • joecolts

      joecolts 83

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 7,128

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Sikma

      Sikma 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 5,015

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Smoke317

      Smoke317 1,300

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...