Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Pre-FA Mock

Can't expect this to generate too much discussion, as we've all discussed most of these issues ad nauseum.  But, I always like to get my thoughts down in writing in the off-chance that I get something right!

Outside FA: Shelby Harris, DT, Broncos.

Inside FAs: Castonzo, Haeg, Funchess, Jonathan Williams, Josh Andrews, + all RFAs and ERFAs

Let ‘em Walk: Ebron, Geathers, Vinitieri, Sheard,  Rogers, Clark

Draft:

I hate to predict trades, but I see both DTs, Jeudy, and possibly all four premium OTs being gone by our pick.  The more I think about it, the more I like a few WRs that are supposed to be around into the 20s, so I’ll trade down to about 21 (Philly, but really it’s just where the trade charts say we can pick up the 2nd rounder on an even trade). 

1 (21) Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor.  Still undervalued by the draftniks.  6’3, 207, 4.38 forty, 6.66 3-cone (insane), 33 7/8” arms, 38.5” vertical.  Plus, he dominated the SB practices.

2 (34) Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M.  Almost a toss-up between him and Blacklock.  But Madubuike showed more athleticism at the Combine, with the real deciding factors being his length and very impressive 3-cone.  Adding him to Grover and FA Harris (with Autry possibly poised for a rebound year) should improve the IDL.

2 (44) Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn.  Love his story.  Came over from Nigeria by himself in HS to be a basketball star.  He became one of the best OTs in the SEC in a relatively short amount of time (didn’t know a thing about football until HS).  Lost his mom a couple of years ago – his football family weighs heavy in his life.  He’s athletic as heck, and we have time to work on his technique, which understandably needs more work.

2 (53) (from Philly) Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois.  The need may not justify this high of a pick, but I have a real feeling about this guy.  Ran a 4.45 at 6’3, 221.  21 bench reps, a 41” vertical, 11’6 broad jump.  He killed the Combine after looking good at the SB IMO. 

3 (75) Anthony Gordon, QB, Washington St.  Completing the off-season that will underwhelm the vast majority of y’all as far as the QB position goes.  Gordon has underrated football IQ.  I think he’s going to dazzle in the interviews, and I think Ballard and Reich will put a lot more weight on that than raw arm talent.  Plus, I believe advanced analytics indicate that he was FBS’ most accurate passer inside of ten yards…so that’s something – not gonna miss the easy ones.  Brissett and Kelly duking it out in 2020 – I see it coming!

4 (122) Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan.  I really like Stenberg, but he should be gone by this pick.  Bredeson should be a solid back-up, with a good chance of becoming a starter eventually.  We got really lucky with a lack of injuries on the OL last year, but we can’t count on that happening again.  I’ve typically addressed this earlier in the draft this offseason, but ya gotta make tough decisions when you’re drafting. 

5 (160) Stephen Sullivan, TE, LSU.  I thought about pushing this need to the 7th and taking Eli Wolf of Georgia (he had a great EWS game).  But, I really like Sullivan’s basket of traits.  6’5, 248, 4.66 forty, 85” wingspan!, 35 3/8” arms!, 36.5 vertical!  It was a great Combine that no one’s talking about.  With his length, he has amazing blocking potential, as well as a big catch radius.  Needs quite a bit of work, but the physical skills are very good.

6 (193) Parnell Motley, CB, Oklahoma.  Very productive slot-type corner.  I really like Ya-Sin, Moore, and Tell, and Desir is still a decent option.  But if we can add a decent #5 CB, we can make that trade we all expect and get rid of Quincy for a 6th rounder right before the season starts. 

7 (227) Bryce Sterk, DE, Montana St.  Since I opted not to predict a Clowney signing (which I had a few weeks ago), there’s room at the bottom of the DE depth chart for more options.  Watch the Pro Day, it could be key.  He’s supposed to be 6’4, 262, with 33 3/8” arms.  He put up 13 sacks and 56 tackles this year.  Was somewhat streaky doing it.  I also really like Mike Danna of Michigan and Kendall Coleman of Syracuse here.  Watch those Pro Days!

That's a good attempt in case we don't like any of the first round QBs. Mims is one of my favorites. Nice to see some prospect that are not regularly floated around. Sullivan and Motley are interesting... good upside plays.

The only thing - I would prefer we get future picks from a trade back, than current year picks... but that's more of a nitpick, especially having in mind you got a good project at OT with one of the seconds.

I like it, it’s realistic and a trade back is just like CB

Love the Mims pick at 21..... The kid will be special in NFL

I Don’t want to trade up unless it’s for a blue chip QB

There are only 2 blue chippers and I fear Tua may be out of reach

I also think Love and Herbert will be gone at 13....

I have to say I would have a very hard time passing on Kinlaw if he is there

Do like a few of your top picks.  Haven’t seen many mention RB Darrynton Evans.  Colts looking at Akers makes me think we might be looking for another pure RB to compliment Mack.  Evans is an interesting prospect that might go well in the mid rounds.

Archived