Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Even though I would love a hand full of prospects at 13, I think it’s best if we traded down a couple spots (with a willing team of course) and target Kinlaw.  This would give us an extra pick to trade back into the end of rd 1 to  target WR Mims.  With the early 2nd RD pick, I think we should take a chance on QB Hurts.  Maybe it’s a reach, but I think this would be the best case scenario for us going forward.

I'm O.K. with the trade back, but you can't assume Kinlaw at that point.

And, if you trade back into the first, you're assuming we still have the early 2nd for Hurts? I'm thinking that's used to move up.

30 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm O.K. with the trade back, but you can't assume Kinlaw at that point.

And, if you trade back into the first, you're assuming we still have the early 2nd for Hurts? I'm thinking that's used to move up.

Yea, a bunch of of reasoning is behind assumptions.  That's why I mentioned just targeting Kinlaw.  It's not a sure thing he will be between 15-18 but there would be other options.  I don't see 2 DT being drafted in the top 15 of this year draft, so we would still potentially have a choice of Derrick Brown if he falls below Kinlaw.  As for the 2nd, idk how draft points work but I don't see it costing our early 2nd to move back up in the late 20's assuming we receive an extra 3rd from the trade back

Not a fan of pretty much any of that. Trading down wouldn't be too bad but it all depends on who is available at 13. Trading into the back end of the 1st to grabs Mims is a bad move. Keep your 2nds and grab him there or one of the other great WR prospects, its too deep to move up for Mims. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just pick the BPA at #13 and go on down the road. 

And set up the draft with a good Free Agency. That's how you stick to your philosophy and longterm goals in the draft. You don't feel pushed to go at any specific position, as that is how you miss out on talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Best case scenario is to get the best possible QB prospect we can possibly get our hands on. I guess realistically(because I don't think it's realistic for the Bengals to trade away no. 1 and Burrow), this would be getting in place to draft Tua after getting great medical reports back. You will have to trade our future 1st and both seconds most probably. 

Personally...   I don’t find any scenario that ends with the Colts drafting Jalen Hurts as anything close to “perfect.”

Sorry, but not a JH fan.   Great kid, but I don’t think he’s a future NFL quarterback.   He might need TWO redshirt years.    Perhaps I’m wrong, but I don’t see it. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally...   I don’t find any scenario that ends with the Colts drafting Jalen Hurts as anything close to “perfect.”

Sorry, but not a JH fan.   Great kid, but I don’t think he’s a future NFL quarterback.   He might need TWO redshirt years.    Perhaps I’m wrong, but I don’t see it. 

I agree, and gotta say that from what I see, I'll be pretty puzzled/upset, if we took him at 13, and don't want him at 34 either. 44? MAYBE.

HOWEVER, I have no choice but to trust the FO on these issues. They have a better feel for these guys than I ever will.

I'm still waiting to hear what CB thinks to be the sweet spot in this draft before I go anticipating any trade scenarios we may consider, but if I had to guess, a trade back in the first isn't out of the question by a fair margin.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This. Hurts did good in Oklahoma. You could put any QB in that offense and they would have some level of success. It's fools gold and even more so now with back to back heisman winners. 

• Thanks 1

For me, Hurts is a Day Three pick.   Not earlier than R5.    I’m sure some team values him much higher than that.   

But I would agree that I will support this FO because they’ve earned it.  I’m just expressing my own view.   I trust this FO to make the best decisions possible.   They have info that NONE OF US has. 

• Like 5

This draft class is loaded with talent much better than in years past imo.  Would not surprise me to see us trade back and try to get two 2nds again this year and in 2021.

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

By trading back gives us better odds to hit on adding top talent for areas we really need DT, TE, WR, OT and/or DB.

You have to keep in mind when you trade back you step over a higher talented guy at pick #13. 

If there is a QB, WR  or a defensive monster at #13, take them. 

Picking up an extra lower pick while stepping over a difference maker may not be the way to go?  Ballard and the crew has some serious work to do between now and draft day.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

The idea of trading down to pick up extra picks is enticing providing we get the player that best fit the offense or defense, but I like a QB if available Herbert at 13.  

cb loves to trade down he covets more picks rather than higher picks

I actually think there is a bit of a tier drop just after 13 this year tbh.
Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love
Young, Simmons, Okudah, Brown, Kinlaw
Becton, Wirfs, Thomas, Wills,
I understand a lot of people think Jeudy and Lamb will go in there aswell. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them drop with the depth at that position this year.
I don't see us taking one of the OT so leaves a few decent guys to choose from that should make a big impact for us, either this year or next (Love)

3 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

cb loves to trade down he covets more picks rather than higher picks

I'd say that could likely be the strategy when you're trying to upgrade several positions quicly when you have a very weak overall roster. The roster is not so weak anymore, so higher picks are required to "improve". And 3T and QB aren't positions to go cheap on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RNGDShobby said:

I understand a lot of people think Jeudy and Lamb will go in there aswell. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them drop with the depth at that position this year.
I don't see us taking one of the OT so leaves a few decent guys to choose from that should make a big impact for us, either this year or next (Love)

13. Love

34. Cleveland

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

Dont b surprised if Love and Tua r there when the Colts pick.  I dont think NFL personnel value them as mich as this board does.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Why use a 2nd on Hurts when you could grab him with a 5th rounder? Hurts would be a waste of a 2nd round pick.

The whole draft is a gamble.  In this instance, I’m gambling that there is a team out there who value Hurts enough to where he wouldn’t fall out of the 2nd round.  I don’t know where he’ll  fall even if we do not draft him.  If I want him, I’d make sure to get him before I feel he gets taken off the board.  I’m also not in love with Hurts, but I do like him just a bit more than Fromm

1 hour ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

The whole draft is a gamble.  In this instance, I’m gambling that there is a team out there who value Hurts enough to where he wouldn’t fall out of the 2nd round.  I don’t know where he’ll  fall even if we do not draft him.  If I want him, I’d make sure to get him before I feel he gets taken off the board.  I’m also not in love with Hurts, but I do like him just a bit more than Fromm

"I worry what you think I said was that Jalen Hurts has a chance and is therefore a gamble.  What I said was, Jalen Hurts is a wasted pick. - Ron Swanson" - OffensivelyPC.

lol I'm being cynical, but I'm definitely not attacking you.  I'm just not a fan of Hurts.  I'd rather have almost any other QB from this draft.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

"I worry what you think I said was that Jalen Hurts has a chance and is therefore a gamble.  What I said was, Jalen Hurts is a wasted pick. - Ron Swanson" - OffensivelyPC.

lol I'm being cynical, but I'm definitely not attacking you.  I'm just not a fan of Hurts.  I'd rather have almost any other QB from this draft.  

Hahaha fair enough, I understand your point.  I definitely don’t feel attacked.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  This is the reason why I like the off-season.  I get to see everyone views at a different angle

23 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have to keep in mind when you trade back you step over a higher talented guy at pick #13. 

If there is a QB, WR  or a defensive monster at #13, take them. 

Picking up an extra lower pick while stepping over a difference maker may not be the way to go?  Ballard and the crew has some serious work to do between now and draft day.

Exactly.

This team needs playmakers.... game changers.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Florio thinks it’s Foles and JB and they compete for the starting job.

Foles would cost about 15 million for ‘20 PLUS a pick to Jax. Im not sure how i feel about Foles, but i can see the angle.