Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Comp Picks...

Dingus McGirt

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You know, as miserable as I've been since 2014 with what happened with Luck's career. I can look back at it when I see posts such as yours with an appeal to authority and say: "Maybe this fanbase doesn't deserve a championship".

Jared....    I got out after two posts.   But go thru this thread and see how many people oppose you.

Most of these people are your friends.  And they’re concerned about you.   Because we’ve all been down this road with you about twice a year.   Often at this time of year.   History is repeating itself.   You’re not helping your own cause.   

Take a deep breath.   The sky is not falling.   The world is not ending.  You need to learn how to enjoy the journey, even if it doesn’t end with a Super Bowl victory.   If this isn’t fun, then what’s the point?  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You can't quit reacting to me, so stop it.

2 FA's in one year. Woohoo.

So Ballard doesn’t sign free agents except when he does then those don’t count because it’s not “a lot”.  Got it.  

What’s more important signing good players or just signing a lot of big name free agents?  If it’s the later then you aren’t wanting a good roster you are just wanting big name free agents signed.  

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So Ballard doesn’t sign free agents except when he does then those don’t count because it’s not “a lot”.  Got it.  

What’s more important signing good players or just signing a lot of big name free agents?  If it’s the later then you aren’t wanting a good roster you are just wanting big name free agents signed.  

He needs to be a Browns fan...

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

He needs to be a Browns fan...

The Colts did the same thing the year after the made AFCCG with Luck.  It failed.  Rather than address the non sexy major need in the oline Grigson loaded up with Cole, Johnson, and Gore and it cost the team Luck.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My argument is Ballard shouldn't discount FA like he does. It only makes the team weaker long-term. It hurt us with Luck, and it hurts us now. Didn't even need to save money from 2017-2019. Only now do we have to worry about the 2017 class getting paid.

We signed HOUSTON last year and he ended up being the best player on our dline. Funchess wasn’t  cheap. It’s not as easy as just going out and signing a player. It has to be a position that will upgrade the roster, the player wants to come here, and it has to be a position we need. Sometimes there isn’t the type of players out there to go get. Look how bad the jets and redskins were last year after spending a ton in FA.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We signed HOUSTON last year and he ended up being the best player on our dline. Funchess wasn’t  cheap. It’s not as easy as just going out and signing a player. It has to be a position that will upgrade the roster, the player wants to come here, and it has to be a position we need. Sometimes there isn’t the type of players out there to go get. Look how bad the jets and redskins were last year after spending a ton in FA.

Outside of Leonard and maybe Moore you could argue the best player on the defense.  

Let’s not forget Moore was also a free agent signing as was Autry who has been good as a Colt.  

Add to that Ebron who had an amazing season.  What makes it even better was that it was a short term deal.  How smart does that look now?  

He also resisted the urge to commit to Jacoby long term last year but also protected the Colts Incase Jacoby proved to be the answer at QB.  He’s also extended Moore, Desir, and Doyle. Reports are he’s working on AC too.  

In other words Ballard has no problem signing free agents.  They just have to be for reasonable contracts that won’t handcuff the Colts down the road.  It’s smart.  It’s what will let the Colts keep a guy like Smith in a couple of years that is a very good player but isn’t a star on the team.  

Ballard is building a team with a long term plan not just this season in mind.  It’s what guys like BB and Polian did.  It has a very good track record.  Looking at just one season and not thinking long term has not worked well historically for teams that try it.  The last major free agent signing I can think of that maybe pushed a team over the top was sanders with the 49ers and Cowboys in 94 and 95.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Outside of Leonard and maybe Moore you could argue the best player on the defense.  

Let’s not forget Moore was also a free agent signing as was Autry who has been good as a Colt.  

Add to that Ebron who had an amazing season.  What makes it even better was that it was a short term deal.  How smart does that look now?  

He also resisted the urge to commit to Jacoby long term last year but also protected the Colts Incase Jacoby proved to be the answer at QB.  He’s also extended Moore, Desir, and Doyle. Reports are he’s working on AC too.  

In other words Ballard has no problem signing free agents.  They just have to be for reasonable contracts that won’t handcuff the Colts down the road.  It’s smart.  It’s what will let the Colts keep a guy like Smith in a couple of years that is a very good player but isn’t a star on the team.  

Ballard is building a team with a long term plan not just this season in mind.  It’s what guys like BB and Polian did.  It has a very good track record.  Looking at just one season and not thinking long term has not worked well historically for teams that try it.  The last major free agent signing I can think of that maybe pushed a team over the top was sanders with the 49ers and Cowboys in 94 and 95.

Defensive  line for Houston. Yes Leonard and Moore are our two best defensive players.

Depending who we sign in FA we should get some next year. With Ebron gone and maybe Funchess.

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Denver with Peyton

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You know, as miserable as I've been since 2014 with what happened with Luck's career. I can look back at it when I see posts such as yours with an appeal to authority and say: "Maybe this fanbase doesn't deserve a championship".

Also.....

Stop with the “appeal to authority” nonsense.    I supported Grigson when he earned it.    I jumped off the band wagon in 2015 when it became apparent that he (A) couldn’t draft well and (B) couldn’t do a good job in Free Agency and (C)  couldn’t make good trades.    The collapse of the team in 15 and 16 wasn't a surprise if you were paying close attention. 

Ive supported Chris Ballard since the jump because he’s a real pro.   I’ve been in enough of these kind of press conferences to have a good feel for quality.   And once we saw how CB drafted and approached FA, then the man earned trust and support. 

That’s not an appeal to authority.   It’s an appeal to QUALITY.   Big difference. Really big difference. 

Doesn’t mean I agree with every move he makes— I don’t.   But it means I don’t think I know more than he does.  I trust his judgement over mine.  CB has earned that.   And he will have it until he loses it.   And I think that’s a long way off. 

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Go back to the Colts 2015 draft if you want to understand why we don't have any 2020 comp picks.

Phillip Dorsett
D'Joun Smith
Henry Anderson
Clayton Geathers
David Parry
Josh Robinson
Amarlo Herrera
Denzell Goode

10 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

How many comp picks did we get for losing Luck?

ZERO. You don't get comp picks for retiring players.  And technically, we didn't lose Luck. He just stopped playing.  His playing rights still belong to the Colts.

i dont care about the comp picks but i wish we had been more aggressive and singing free agents when luck was here.  i thought that window with him was going to be short, not another decade 

13 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

How many comp picks did we get for losing Luck?

none 

Archived