Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So I wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on this QB room. 

I am gonna assume that the top QBs are gone by the 13th pick and we stay and take BPA. If you listen to Ballard and Irsay, this is very likely. They both have talked about letting the draft come to them, not forcing the QB and have also praised the depth at QB in the draft. 

The room I wouldn’t mind seeing would be:

Jacoby Brissett 

Marcus Mariota

Rookie QB (Anthony Gordon,  Jalen Hurts, James Morgan)

Let JB and Mariota battle it out in camp. You also grab a developmental QB that Reich and Sirianni can work with over the next few years. 

Thoughts???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on this QB room. 

I am gonna assume that the top QBs are gone by the 13th pick and we stay and take BPA. If you listen to Ballard and Irsay, this is very likely. They both have talked about letting the draft come to them, not forcing the QB and have also praised the depth at QB in the draft. 

The room I wouldn’t mind seeing would be:

Jacoby Brissett 

Marcus Mariota

Rookie QB (Anthony Gordon,  Jalen Hurts, James Morgan)

Let JB and Mariota battle it out in camp. You also grab a developmental QB that Reich and Sirianni can work with over the next few years. 

Thoughts???

steve brule what GIF

i think you have three backups here so no.  i like gordon and hurts, but doubt they end up franchise starters 

marcus is no better than jacoby, im sure you would like that so he wins lol.  bring in someone better like foles or rivers if they dont want to draft them 

I'd take anything. Doesn't mean it's anywhere close to my preferred situations. This specific situation still leaves us without a franchise QB. Brissett and Mariota are not it and Gordon/Hurts/Morgan are not very likely to be it(wild shots). I prefer having that wild shot than not having it, but I don't think it makes much of a difference. 

Mariota + Brissett raise the floor of this team in the short term(probably will have better chance to get to the playoffs)  but doesn't raise the ceiling and lowers the ceiling in the long term(worse chance to get high pick and be in position to draft a big time talent at QB next year). Overall I would feel very "meh" about this type of off-season. 

• Like 3
Just now, aaron11 said:

i think you have three backups here so no.  i like gordon and hurts, but doubt they end up franchise starters 

marcus is no better than jacoby, im sure you would like that so he wins lol.  bring in someone better like foles or rivers if they dont want to draft them 

Haha. Actually I live in Tennessee and really like Marcus. The fans here are scared to death he will end up in Indy and light it up. 

In regards to the other. I wouldn’t hate Foles. Do hate the contract and price. Also, I don’t want any part of Rivers. 

That QB room doesn’t have potential to allow you to be able to duel it out with Mahomes, so now. That’s how you have to think now. Who can help you beat Mahomes?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That QB room doesn’t have potential to allow you to be able to duel it out with Mahomes, so now. That’s how you have to think now. Who can help you beat Mahomes?

A good pass rush and a shut down secondary

• Thanks 2
35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I can’t wait until FA and the draft is over so this nonsense is over and we know what we will have.

Oh, you just think it will be better then. Just wait for it. There will be plenty of drama around here whatever path Ballard selects. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
Just now, stitches said:

Oh, you just think it will be better then. Just wait for it. There will be plenty of drama around here whatever path Ballard selects. :D 

Watch will happen when we don't draft a QB or pick one up via trade or Free Agency haha . We just stick with JB, this place will implode.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Watch will happen when we don't draft a QB or pick one up via trade or Free Agency haha . We just stick with JB, this place will implode.

I can't guarantee that there will be a "Fire Ballard" thread, but I guarantee there will be a "Fire Ballard" thread :fireworks:

• Haha 5
33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’m already planning the FA/Draft implosion thread ha

47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like San Fran?

giphy.gif

You’re right dude they can’t be beaten 

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, stitches said:

I can't guarantee that there will be a "Fire Ballard" thread, but I guarantee there will be a "Fire Ballard" thread :fireworks:

Yea for sure.   
I predicted the Hooker pick.  BUT  only after he dropped so I won’t take credit for that as much.  I did absolutely pick the Nelson pick and as embarrassing as it may seem I had no idea who Rock was haha

7 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

I’m already planning the FA/Draft implosion thread ha

You’re right dude they can’t be beaten 

They can be beaten. Just need a team with both a good D and a good QB. Good balance, but a game manager QB isn't going to get it done. SF had 3 awesome units (Pass D, Run D, Run O), but failed because the passing game wasn't good/dynamic enough. 

I think SF will go as far a Jimmy G takes them. And I think he'll get better as they open him up. 

• Like 1

As much as I really Love Love it would be interesting if they took Ruggs, Jeudy, or Lamb at 13. Then took Galimore at 34. Follow that up with Anthony Gordon at 44. That could be a very interesting draft.  One of those WR will be there at 13. It’s time Ballard gave us a stud. 

Anyone have any idea where you think Gordon will be drafted. I have a hard time thinking he gets out of the second or early third round.

Even if we took Kinlaw at 13 A guy like Mims would be interesting at 34 if he lasts that long.

I’m sure no matter who we draft, threads will be regurgitated to either say “I told you so” or “Can you believe this guy said this in this thread”. That, I guarantee because that’s how this forum has always worked with it’s flair for the dramatic. :) 

All that QB room would get the Colts would be a five- or six-win season and a draft pick in the "teens" next year. I don't think a battle between JB and Mariota to see who sucks less is a winning strategy. Unless they pick up Tannehill in FA, Carr in a favorable trade deal, or find Herbert miraculously dropping to #13, this upcoming season has all the makings of a flaming dumpster. 

On 3/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, EastStreet said:

Like San Fran?

giphy.gif

Colts beat them with a 2nd rate QB.  Anything can happen in one game, eh?  Which is why the NFL is king.  Given 10 contests I'd bet fair money that San Fran could win half.

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Colts beat them with a 2nd rate QB.  Anything can happen in one game, eh?  Which is why the NFL is king.  Given 10 contests I'd bet fair money that San Fran could win half.

More like KC lost with a hobbled QB, no WR1, WR2 left early, starting LT was out, starting LG left early, starting OLB out, DL that lost Chris Jones and Xavier Williams to injuries...

I'd give SF 2/10. Once Reid figured them out, SF looked a bit helpless.

I will be honest...I am actually intrigued by Hurts...I like really athletic QBs.

But this is essentially the bargain bin approach to the most important position.

It's akin to addressing WR by...signing Devin Funchess and relying on 5th-6th round picks to develop. 

• Sad 1
44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

More like KC lost with a hobbled QB, no WR1, WR2 left early, starting LT was out, starting LG left early, starting OLB out, DL that lost Chris Jones and Xavier Williams to injuries...

I'd give SF 2/10. Once Reid figured them out, SF looked a bit helpless.

2/10?  I'd take that action all day.  Those are the kind of odds for the Colts I would think, but not the Niners.  They were a heckuva team this year.

As for the Colts game, Mahomes was fine pretty much the entire 1st half.  And what, the Colts weren't missing anybody?  Hey, I'm not here to argue.  Just pointing out that anything can happen in one NFL game.  The Chiefs can't be beaten?  They did manage to lose 4 games...….somehow 3 other teams got "lucky" as well I guess?  They were the best team in the NFL this year.  Doesn't mean they can't be beaten.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

2/10?  I'd take that action all day.  Those are the kind of odds for the Colts I would think, but not the Niners.  They were a heckuva team this year.

As for the Colts game, Mahomes was fine pretty much the entire 1st half.  And what, the Colts weren't missing anybody?  Hey, I'm not here to argue.  Just pointing out that anything can happen in one NFL game.  The Chiefs can't be beaten?  They did manage to lose 4 games...….somehow 3 other teams got "lucky" as well I guess?  They were the best team in the NFL this year.  Doesn't mean they can't be beaten.

I agree any team can lose, no doubt. Just saying a hobbled Mahomes without the entire left side of his line and 2 best WRs, is not really beating "Mahomes" or KC. He, and their O is their clear identity. IRRC, 3 of their 4 losses were around the injury period. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree any team can lose, no doubt. Just saying a hobbled Mahomes without the entire left side of his line and 2 best WRs, is not really beating "Mahomes" or KC. He, and their O is their clear identity. IRRC, 3 of their 4 losses were around the injury period. 

https://www.colts.com/news/ty-hilton-marlon-mack-darius-leonard-parris-campbell-out-chiefs

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

the link suggests mack and ty were out. they both played. mack had 100+.

like i said, their identity was gone. our identity, which is running, with bad passing sprinkled in, was still very much there lol..  and our Ss being out didn't much matter when Mahomes is hobbled, his two best WRs are out, and his LT and LG are gone.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

the link suggests mack and ty were out. they both played. mack had 100+.

like i said, their identity was gone. our identity, which is running, with bad passing sprinkled in, was still very much there lol..  and our Ss being out didn't much matter when Mahomes is hobbled, his two best WRs are out, and his LT and LG are gone.

I used it merely for reference.  For the record, their injury list WAS longer.  But it DOES also suggest our own guys were dealing with issues.  TY was a non-factor due to his leg issues.  Our best defensive player Leonard did not play, etc.  I understand and acknowledge the Chiefs were dealing with issues.  I'm merely suggesting that the Colts were too, and they were IN Arrowhead.  They had every reason to pull up lame and tank.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I used it merely for reference.  For the record, their injury list WAS longer.  But it DOES also suggest our own guys were dealing with issues.  TY was a non-factor due to his leg issues.  Our best defensive player Leonard did not play, etc.  I understand and acknowledge the Chiefs were dealing with issues.  I'm merely suggesting that the Colts were too, and they were IN Arrowhead.  They had every reason to pull up lame and tank.

I'm happy we won, don't get me wrong. I was fist pumping. But all things considered, it was a pretty hollow victory. Will always take the W though. It was a dream scenario for us though. 

• Like 1
On 3/7/2020 at 3:31 PM, Chloe6124 said:

As much as I really Love Love it would be interesting if they took Ruggs, Jeudy, or Lamb at 13. Then took Galimore at 34. Follow that up with Anthony Gordon at 44. That could be a very interesting draft.  One of those WR will be there at 13. It’s time Ballard gave us a stud. 

Anyone have any idea where you think Gordon will be drafted. I have a hard time thinking he gets out of the second or early third round.

Even if we took Kinlaw at 13 A guy like Mims would be interesting at 34 if he lasts that long.

Lamb isn't very good

He's very overrated and I would be very upset with him at 13.

I wouldn't even take him on trade down. 

27 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Lamb isn't very good

He's very overrated and I would be very upset with him at 13.

I wouldn't even take him on trade down. 

He is a lot like Hopkins. Doesn’t have glaring speed but knows how to high point the ball and just get open. His instincts are what is going to make him a superstar.

7 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

All that QB room would get the Colts would be a five- or six-win season and a draft pick in the "teens" next year. I don't think a battle between JB and Mariota to see who sucks less is a winning strategy. Unless they pick up Tannehill in FA, Carr in a favorable trade deal, or find Herbert miraculously dropping to #13, this upcoming season has all the makings of a flaming dumpster. 

A worse QB room got them 7 with a assload of injuries this past year.... Nothing is a guarantee, but this team is too talented for five or less wins.... It's possible they go winless of course, but with a decent QB they win nine to ten....

I've said a few times that if we really do decide to just roll with Brissett and a later round QB, it wouldn't be so bad. We could still improve with those choices. Brissett could have a new top receiever, and more help on the defense. This is the scenario I would like and expect IF the front office neither likes an old veteran like Brady or Rivers nor the QB options at 13. And I think a replacement for Hoyer is a no-brainer, so getting someone like Mariota makes sense in this scenario (unless we think it's time to give Chad Kelly is shot which his doubtful).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 3/7/2020 at 2:48 PM, Defjamz26 said:

or watson?

• Like 1