Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clowney seeking 22 to 23 million per year


Recommended Posts

“According to an NFL source, the Giants are one of the teams on the 27-year-old edge-rusher’s wish list as he heads to free agency,” Vacchiano wrote. “But according to another source, he could be looking at a contract worth $22-23 million per year,"

 

Please Colts don't do this. I would offer him 15m per year tops.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen reports of him wanting 25m now another one at 22-23m.  People love to throw around numbers.  According to Josina Anderson the Colts and Giants are two of the teams interested.  She is well connected in the league so I tend to believe her.  This is the year I can see Ballard signing a FA like Clowney.  He fits the definition of "Big Name FA".   I can also see him signing a 27 year old Bridgewater for a lot less money than a 38 year old and expensive Rivers which would be very un Ballard like.  We will know soon enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags turned down 20 million a year, and he never had 7 sacks playing on a great DL. Teams that jump at this are the ones in cap Hell in no time.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is a team will inevitably pull the trigger, like the Washington Redskins. If the Redskins would stop throwing around so much money, it would set a lower ceiling on the free agents asking price, but since the free agents know they can get away with it, they ask for ludicrous prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Problem is a team will inevitably pull the trigger, like the Washington Redskins. If the Redskins would stop throwing around so much money, it would set a lower ceiling on the free agents asking price, but since the free agents know they can get away with it, they ask for ludicrous prices.

 

And as long as some team pays the price then it was the right price for Clowney - and his agent - to set.  I have no problem with a "supply and demand" free market for players to try and maximize their dollars.  But with owners willing to do anything to "win" they overspend and then count on passing league rules to limits what teams can spend, limit rookie contracts, enact rules like the franchise tag, etc.

 

Too many of these owners who are supposed to be great business men can't keep their hands off the "buy now" button and then regret it later in so many situations.

 

I would be really surprised to see the Colts come anywhere near that kind of money for him.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I don't think we will get Clowney.  He's vastly overrated and some team will pay him that even though 23.5 M is top of the league money for an edge rusher (Khalil Mack).  

 

I don't think Ballard will pay him as much as other teams.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard: Hey Jadeveon it's Chris! How are you?

Clowney: Doing great man!

Ballard: We got a # number we wanna throw at you but was wondering from annual stand point what kinda money you were looking at per year.

Clowney: I think I deserve 22 to 23 million!

Ballard: Hangs up phone...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 3:56 PM, ColtJax said:

Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags turned down 20 million a year, and he never had 7 sacks playing on a great DL. Teams that jump at this are the ones in cap Hell in no time.

?????????

 

Ngokoue has never recorded less than 8 sacks in any season.    I think you have him mixed up with someone else.

 

Ngokoue’s sack numbers in his 4 seasons....    8, 12, 9.5, and 8.

 

Thats 37.5 in 4 seasons.   Nearly 9.4 per season average.   Sorry. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard: Hey Jadeveon it's Chris! How are you?

Clowney: Doing great man!

Ballard: We got a # number we wanna throw at you but was wondering from annual stand point what kinda money you were looking at per year.

Clowney: I think I deserve 22 to 23 million!

Ballard: Hangs up phone...

 

More like slams the phone down. Clowney has ALWAYS been overrated. for a number 1 pick, he's done squat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

?????????

 

Ngokoue has never recorded less than 8 sacks in any season.    I think you have him mixed up with someone else.

 

Ngokoue’s sack numbers in his 4 seasons....    8, 12, 9.5, and 8.

 

Thats 37.5 in 4 seasons.   Nearly 9.4 per season average.   Sorry. 

 

You're right, I did. He's a good speed rusher but he's dead meat on third and short, teams just run right at him. The question is, can he become a good OLB in a 3-4, if yes he has good value (not 20 million worth, but still). But we've seen DE's try to transition to the OLB position before and fail, so that's a big gamble..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 11:17 PM, NewColtsFan said:

?????????

 

Ngokoue has never recorded less than 8 sacks in any season.    I think you have him mixed up with someone else.

 

Ngokoue’s sack numbers in his 4 seasons....    8, 12, 9.5, and 8.

 

Thats 37.5 in 4 seasons.   Nearly 9.4 per season average.   Sorry. 

He is a very good player.  The only problem is that he will want a huge contract and Jags probably want a 1st rounder for him.  A lot to give up for a guy who averages 9 sacks a season

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is a very good player.  The only problem is that he will want a huge contract and Jags probably want a 1st rounder for him.  A lot to give up for a guy who averages 9 sacks a season

I agree.   I’m guessing he wants 6/120.   That doesn’t feel much like a Ballard-type contract at all.  
 

I’m also guessing he signs more mid-level type free agents like Collins from Dallas and/or Jefferson from Seattle. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree.   I’m guessing he wants 6/120.   That doesn’t feel much like a Ballard-type contract at all.  
 

I’m also guessing he signs more mid-level type free agents like Collins from Dallas and/or Jefferson from Seattle. 

 

He turned down 20 million a year, so he most likely wants a 5 year 110-120 million with a huge chunk guaranteed..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clowney is very talented....but a chronic underachiever. He's not worth that kind of money, and the team that foolishly pays him anywhere near that asking price will be sorely disappointed. The Colts /Ballard aren't foolish with their money, as we all know. Clowney won't be suiting up in Indy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...