Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Ekeler-What a Mack contact could look like

I just seen this report. Mack may get a bit more but Eckler did run and pass catch adequately this year. Made their other star RB obsolete really. Mack may run better, maybe but he doesn’t catch anywhere near Eckler has so the offset tells me, this is a fair comparison for a contract. If Mack thinks he is worth 10/yr, I guess he will get to test the waters idk. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

There is no way Mack would accept that. You're comparing a workhorse to a scatback

He would be dumb to not accept it. He is really good but he isn’t worth a Elliott. 

I think when irsay said they weren’t working on anmack contact he was ticked at his agent for leaking it. I won’t be surprised if they actually are working on it.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He would be dumb to not accept it. He is really good but he isn’t worth a Elliott. 

I think when irsay said they weren’t working on anmack contact he was ticked at his agent for leaking it. I won’t be surprised if they actually are working on it.

Mack is getting no less then 10 mil.

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

True, to be fair though, Elliott isn’t worth an Elliott. Paying RBs is an exercise in futility. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I could see 7-8 at best. If he wants 10+, you let him go. I guess we will see what he gets. 

Just now, CR91 said:

You have no respect for the man's talent. Before Mack, we didn't even a 100 yard rusher for years

I like Mack, but 10M for a RB is to much, especially when a street FA can have back to back 100 YG’s behind the Colts line. 

I like Mack but I think the smart money is to always have our RB on rookie contract. That seems to be a RB most productive years anyway. RB seems to be a position that peaks within the first few years with the ability to contribute immediately so it makes it almost illogical to pay big money to a back. 

5 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I like Mack but I think the smart money is to always have our RB on rookie contract. That seems to be a RB most productive years anyway. RB seems to be a position that peaks within the first few years with the ability to contribute immediately so it makes it almost illogical to pay big money to a back. 

Yep, L. Bell, T. Gurley and D. Johnson’s happen a lot. If, Mack gets 10M a season, I hope it’s with some other team. 

8 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

It has nothing to do with Mack only 1-2 RBs are worth that money 

Have you seen the contracts Zeke, Gurley, and Johnson have? 10 mil is cheap in comparison. Heck just wait for McCaffrey. He'll get 18 mil

41 minutes ago, Superfly said:

I like Mack, but 10M for a RB is to much, especially when a street FA can have back to back 100 YG’s behind the Colts line. 

Vs the jags big deal so did every other RB. And the Texans game all we did was run the ball. After both those games, Williams didn't play at all. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Have you seen the contracts Zeke, Gurley, and Johnson have? 10 mil is cheap in comparison. Heck just wait for McCaffrey. He'll get 18 mil

Yeah and Gurley and Johnson's contracts are terrible same with Leveon Bell McCaffrey and Barkley are the only RBs worth more than 10 million. If he wants more than Ekeler money draft another and move on.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Draft who? You really wanna waste a draft pick on a position that is not a need because you wanna be cheap?

Well not cheap but smart.   RBs don’t play much passed their 2nd contract.   Mack has missed 10 games in 3 yrs    While he is good in pass blocking he is a liability in the passing game otherwise 

you mentioned he is the first back in a long time to rush for 100 a game.   Yes he has had a few 100 yd  games.   He has had almost as many 50 yard or less games    And don’t forget what OL the colts have now.  Gore would have done as well or better behind this line 

I have never been a fan of Mack as a 3 down back for the most part   He is a 2 down back so his price drops 

Draft his upgrade give the rookie a yr to learn like Mack did under Gore and keep the RB young and on a rookie deal. Rinse and repeat 

in fact I’d try to package him with a second rd draft pick to Buffalo or Miami  two RB needy teams to get back into the first round 

I'm a HUGE Marlon Mack fan... but I wouldn't even want to pay him 10mm+.  I guess with the new CBA it might change, but with all the extensions coming up and wanting to bring in some quality vets for that missing leadership, that 10mm+ would be better utilized on a rookie RB (this looks to be a pretty decent class at the position) and shoring up another position.

Like I said, I love Mack, and if we pay him that much, so be it.  I'll still be rooting the kid on.  But that just seems like a lot of money when recent history tells you paying big money to a RB is going to be a decision you regret.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Draft who? You really wanna waste a draft pick on a position that is not a need because you wanna be cheap?

The backfield probably remains the same in 2020. 

So, if Mack signed elsewhere in 2021, then the Colts most likely are looking at drafting a replacement. I’m good with that, because there is going to be a lot of money tied up to the O-Line very soon. 

34 minutes ago, Superfly said:

The backfield probably remains the same in 2020. 

So, if Mack signed elsewhere in 2021, then the Colts most likely are looking at drafting a replacement. I’m good with that, because there is going to be a lot of money tied up to the O-Line very soon. 

The good thing about the oline is there is a chance AC retires after one more year so maybe that puts a LT on a rookie contract. Smith and Nelson are going to be up at the same time. Not to mention Kelly will probably get done before the season starts. That is a very expensive oline. 

Mack seems to get stronger the more he plays. IF he stays healthy I think he will play a long time. 6 m a year won’t break the salary cap.

Ekeler arguably ran better than Gordon once Gordon got back. He was also running behind a very bad OL if we are comparing to Mack.

Name   Rush Yrds  / RYPA  /  Rec Yrds  / YpTarg  / Tot Yrds LoS  

Mack        1091        /   4.4    /    82           /     4.8      /    1173

Ekeler       557         /   4.2    /   993          /     9.2      /     1550

Gordon     612         /   3.8    /   296         /      5.4     /      908

PPF OL Rank

Indy #3

LAC  #29

Not saying Ekeler is a better running than Mack, but...

1. While Ekeler is 10lbs lighter than Mack, he runs arguably with more power

2. Ekeler arguably ran better as the lead back than Gordon (before Gordon came back)

3. Ekeler ran behind a horrible OL, Mack ran behind one of the best

4. Ekeler wasn't seen as a scat back coming out of college. He was the primary RB.

5. Can Mack not catch, or is it scheme?

6. Pure production, Ekeler is a beast.

As far as paying Mack, I've already been on the record saying no way I pay him 10M a year, especially via an early extension. In all fairness, I think he would have done much better if teams weren't keying on the run. If we ever get a passing game, I think his AVG will increase, and perhaps he might get more targets from the QB. If he can deliver 1500 yards from scrimmage like McCaffery, Cook, Chubb, Henry, Elliot, Fornette, Jones, Carson, or Barkley, then yes, sure... 

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

You are being silly. Maybe we sign a veteran RB in FA.
We will add a 4th back. There should be several fine prospects in rds 4-6.

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

I love Marlon Mack, but I'm not paying more than 7-8 million per year for a RB. If the Colts offer something like a 3 year/22 million (9 mio guaranteed in year 1) contract extension, which is about the most I can see Ballard offering for a RB, you take it. He won't get a better contract with another team, Le'veon Bell and Melvin Gordon are perfect examples to not turn down a very good offer from your team because you want 1-2 million per year more... Bell lost a ton of money, Gordon will likely lose money as well, because I'm not seeing him getting close to what the Chargers reportedly offered him last summer. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

You are being silly. Maybe we sign a veteran RB in FA.
We will add a 4th back. There should be several fine prospects in rds 4-6.

How am I being silly? Mack was our offense for most of the year last year and its not just because of the oline. Ive seen Mack make runs out of nothing.

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Elliot 15M: ~1700 yards from scrimmage

McCaffrey: ~2400 yards from scrimmage

Those two are by far more productive than Mack.

4 of the top 5 paid RBs have tanked in production since signing their big contracts. Gurley and Johnson are both great examples of why not to pay RBs a bunch of money. Gurley's production dropped 50% from his previous 2 years after getting his contract. Johnson barely had 700 yards last season from the LoS. Bell and Freeman dropped like a lead balloon too.  

Just now, EastStreet said:

Elliot 15M: ~1700 yards from scrimmage

McCaffrey: ~2400 yards from scrimmage

Those two are by far more productive than Mack.

4 of the top 5 paid RBs have tanked in production since signing their big contracts. Gurley and Johnson are both great examples of why not to pay RBs a bunch of money. Gurley's production dropped 50% from his previous 2 years after getting his contract. Johnson barely had 700 yards last season from the LoS. Bell and Freeman dropped like a lead balloon too.  

Did I give Mack 12-18 mil a year? I gave him 10. you really think he deserves the same money as Eleker? 

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How am I being silly? Mack was our offense for most of the year last year and its not just because of the oline. Ive seen Mack make runs out of nothing.

He averages about 77 yards per game.  He had 3 games over 100 yards.  He had a lot more sub par games than he has great games.  5 games of 51 yards or less.   His receiving is non existent .  82 yards total last yr. And he misses a lot of games.  

While he was a good find in the 4th round RB position could easily be improved.  He is not worth big money and I am guessing they will draft his replacement and let him walk after this season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/marlonmack/2558123/gamelogs

2 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

He averages about 77 yards per game.  He had 3 games over 100 yards.  He had a lot more sub par games than he has great games.  5 games of 51 yards or less.   His receiving is non existent .  82 yards total last yr. And he misses a lot of games.  

While he was a good find in the 4th round RB position could easily be improved.  He is not worth big money and I am guessing they will draft his replacement and let him walk after this season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/marlonmack/2558123/gamelogs

You do realize he was never on the field during 2 min offenses and missed 2 games. Hines is the receiving back doesn't mean Mack cant be part of the passing game.

Just now, CR91 said:

You do realize he was never on the field during 2 min offenses and missed 2 games.

Because he is a liability in receiving. Had to bring in Hines for that.  Another reason not to keep him.   And he has missed 10 games in 3 yrs.   Thats not good at all.

Just now, WifiGuy said:

Because he is a liability in receiving. Had to bring in Hines for that.  Another reason not to keep him.   And he has missed 10 games in 3 yrs.   Thats not good at all.

He can be a threat in the passing game, but we use Hines instead because thats his game.

Just now, CR91 said:

Did I give Mack 12-18 mil a year? I gave him 10. you really think he deserves the same money as Eleker? 

Purely my opinion, but....

Based on this:

OL Rank: #3

Rushing Rank: #11

Yrds from Scrim Rank: #18

AVG Rank: #27 (500 yards min: Tie #18)

Passing target (RB): #63

Rcv Yards (RB): #73

Run Blocking Effic: #53

Yards per touch (RB): #40

Production Prem: #58

Mack is running behind one of the best OLs in the league, not a receiving threat, is slightly below the median in yards from scrimmage, and is average in the "power" category. It's likely he's not near as effective with an average OL. 

That said, only 4 RBs are making 10M or more a year who currently have contracts. I'm not paying Mack top 5 money when he's 18th in yards from scrimmage. I think there are several RBs per year in the draft that can do as well behind our OL, that be drafted in the 3rd through 5th rounds. $7M is my ceiling. Love Mack, I'm simply not paying big money on the position given what we've seen happen with the big RB contracts. It's not good business sense. If we can't get a team friendly deal, sign me up for the Denver model (really, most of the NFL model).

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but....

Based on this:

OL Rank: #3

Rushing Rank: #11

Yrds from Scrim Rank: #18

AVG Rank: #27 (500 yards min: Tie #18)

Passing target (RB): #63

Rcv Yards (RB): #73

Run Blocking Effic: #53

Yards per touch (RB): #40

Production Prem: #58

Mack is running behind one of the best OLs in the league, not a receiving threat, is slightly below the median in yards from scrimmage, and is average in the "power" category. It's likely he's not near as effective with an average OL. 

That said, only 4 RBs are making 10M or more a year who currently have contracts. I'm not paying Mack top 5 money when he's 18th in yards from scrimmage. I think there are several RBs per year in the draft that can do as well behind our OL, that be drafted in the 3rd through 5th rounds. $7M is my ceiling. Love Mack, I'm simply not paying big money on the position given what we've seen happen with the big RB contracts. It's not good business sense. If we can't get a team friendly deal, sign me up for the Denver model (really, most of the NFL model).

Thats not exactly whole story. He has only had 4 games with 20 touches, got hurt early vs the jags and missed the next two games then had to play the bucs had the top run defense followed by the saints where we got blown out. All that effected his game

Archived