Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No tender for Johnson

Indeee

Don’t forget Fountain will be coming back and this WR class is loaded. Maybe this means Funchess is coming back. Johnson has offers last season but wanted to stay here so he waited for his opportunity on the PS. He will land somewhere. Who knows he might even land back in the colts. He was very impressive when he played last season. If he doesn’t sign before the draft with another team he might end up back here.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Fountain is an ERFA

Oh yeah... my bad. 

I think the difference is Fountain's tender is like... 500-600K or something of the sort and Johnson's tender would have been like 2-3M(depending on which tender you give him)... 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nah. Out of all the 6-1 guys, I'd keep Dulin over Johnson too.

Dulin has been great on special teams. I wonder if they take this into account. 

Imagine we bring Funchess back... and we have TY, Campbell, Pascal, Funchess... rookie?, Dulin... Fountain... one more rookie? 

Dulin won't have an an easy job to keep his spot IMO. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh yeah... my bad. 

I think the difference is Fountain's tender is like... 500-600K or something of the sort and Johnson's tender would have been like 2-3M(depending on which tender you give him)... 

Yup. I'd take Fountain for 0.6M over Johnson for the below.

2020 Projected RFA Tenders

TypeAmount

First Round   $4,667,000

Second Round  $3,278,000

Original Round   $2,144,000

28 minutes ago, stitches said:

Imagine we bring Funchess back... and we have TY, Campbell, Pascal, Funchess... rookie?, Dulin... Fountain... one more rookie? 

STs is big, especially for those last spots. 

I think it's likely

Z/traditional Slot - TY, Campbell, Fountain

X/big slot - Pascal

That leaves 2 spots (if we keep 6), who are likely either 2 Xs, or 1 X and one tweener. 

X - Draft

X - Funch - his value has likely dropped due to draft depth

Tweener - Dulin

Tweener - Rogers

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's likely

X/big slot - Pascal

That leaves 2 spots (if we keep 6), who are likely either 2 Xs, or 1 X and one tweener. 

X - Draft

Tweener - Dulin

Tweener - Rogers

I think Funch and a rookie we draft would be nice additions for those last two spots. If Funch doesn’t come back I could see them drafting two WR.  I don’t want Dulin if all he does is play ST. I would rather give that spot to funchess or a rookie.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Don’t forget Fountain will be coming back and this WR class is loaded. Maybe this means Funchess is coming back. Johnson has offers last season but wanted to stay here so he waited for his opportunity on the PS. He will land somewhere. Who knows he might even land back in the colts. He was very impressive when he played last season. If he doesn’t sign before the draft with another team he might end up back here.

pats will grab him

Marcus Johnson earned a contract last season. Hands down was 3nd best behind Hilton. We area drooping the bsll of we dont reward the man for stepping up last year. He did well stepping up last year. Him sm DC Pascal. Hilton, Johnson, and Pascal are the only ones I care about keeping. Maybe Cambell with a shot at being healthy.

7 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Marcus Johnson earned a contract last season. Hands down was 3nd best behind Hilton. We area drooping the bsll of we dont reward the man for stepping up last year. He did well stepping up last year. Him sm DC Pascal. Hilton, Johnson, and Pascal are the only ones I care about keeping. Maybe Cambell with a shot at being healthy.

A lot of typos in there so not sure on a few things.  However, Johnson was moved up by default. He may still be resigned but wasn’t tendered at the 2 million price tag bc he just isn’t worth that much. He averaged 34 yards a game, not really million dollar man material there.  I agree with you on Pascal, probably bought himself another year. He looks very promising as the 4th or 5th receiver.  I do disagree about Campbell, there is no maybe, you bring back your 2nd round receiver who faced injuries last year.  

16 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Why can't anybody on this forum spell Chester's name right???? It is Rogers not Rodgers

However you spell his name, he has had numerous chances to become a dependable WR and has always under performed. It is time to move on. 

1 hour ago, onebad150 said:

However you spell his name, he has had numerous chances to become a dependable WR and has always under performed. It is time to move on. 

Rogers has absolutely not underperformed.

In fact, he's been pretty solid for us.  Since coming in as a UFA in 2016, he’s been the team’s punt returner (9.8 yards/return in 2019), while also playing the second most snaps of any wideout (slightly over 40% of offensive snaps) since he joined the Colts.

However, considering we brought in Campbell to be the slot guy and Hines found his stride at punt return when Rogers went down last season, I do agree that Rogers' value seems to be pretty limited going forward.

On 3/6/2020 at 2:17 PM, stitches said:

Yes, they certainly take ST into account.  That's usually what separates the last player on the depth chart at WR/LB/DB/RB from who gets cut, and as pointed out earlier in the thread makes an impact on who makes the active roster week in and week out (Q. Wilson was a healthy scratch due to his inability to excel on STs last year, for example).

Dulin also has potential as a WR.  He was a small school guy (I think Malone's first ever player to make it to the NFL).  He's got very good speed and good size.  A little refinement on his game, and I think he's got potential to be a decent deep threat and potentially red zone threat.   Not saying he's going to turn into a #2 WR overnight, but as a 5th or 6th WR, with his ST skills (I think he can also return kicks), I think he's all right.

On 3/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, EastStreet said:

I think it's likely

X/big slot - Pascal

X - Draft

Tweener - Dulin

Tweener - Rogers

I think Funch's value also dropped by being injured all of 2019 (almost all of it, anyway).  He was on a 1 year 'prove it' deal and missed 15.5 games to injury.  The Colts' FO/coaching staff will have a better ability to evaluate him than any other team in the league as they're the ones who saw how he was progressing/taking care of his body/etc. from injury.  

I'd imagine he will not be able to command more than the ~$10 mil he got on his one year deal last year simply because he didn't 'prove' anything on that deal by not being on the field.

On 3/6/2020 at 3:09 PM, Hoose said:

No room at the inn for Johnson. Too many options already on the team with a likely addition or two from the draft. 

It seems like we have a lot of options... but really, after TY, we don't have a guy on the current roster who has proven he can be much in the NFL.  I thought Johnson was the 2nd best healthy WR option on the team by the end of last year.  

If he doesn't get picked up quickly in FA, I would bet we'll bring him back for cheap and at least let him be a camp body/potential PS guy.  He's got very good speed (4.39 forty) and other measurements from his combine (22 reps at 225, 1.53s 10-yd split, 2.48 20-yd split, 7.26 3 cone drill, 37 inch vertical, 11'3" broad jump, which are all very solid for a guy that's 6'1" 215 lbs.).

13 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, they certainly take ST into account.  That's usually what separates the last player on the depth chart at WR/LB/DB/RB from who gets cut, and as pointed out earlier in the thread makes an impact on who makes the active roster week in and week out (Q. Wilson was a healthy scratch due to his inability to excel on STs last year, for example).

Dulin also has potential as a WR.  He was a small school guy (I think Malone's first ever player to make it to the NFL).  He's got very good speed and good size.  A little refinement on his game, and I think he's got potential to be a decent deep threat and potentially red zone threat.   Not saying he's going to turn into a #2 WR overnight, but as a 5th or 6th WR, with his ST skills (I think he can also return kicks), I think he's all right.

I really like Dulin. I know the odds are stacked against him, but cheering for him. 

I think Funch's value also dropped by being injured all of 2019 (almost all of it, anyway).  He was on a 1 year 'prove it' deal and missed 15.5 games to injury.  The Colts' FO/coaching staff will have a better ability to evaluate him than any other team in the league as they're the ones who saw how he was progressing/taking care of his body/etc. from injury.  

I'd imagine he will not be able to command more than the ~$10 mil he got on his one year deal last year simply because he didn't 'prove' anything on that deal by not being on the field.

Given the prove-it nature of the 2019 deal, plus current injury concerns (I think the break was pretty bad and may create concerns), plus the great depth in the draft this year....... I just don't see us offering him more than 7-8M. Could be way off, But I'd take a big X like Claypool or Pittman, and forget all about Funchess is he asks for too much. Regardless, of bringing him back or not, we need to address X.

It seems like we have a lot of options... but really, after TY, we don't have a guy on the current roster who has proven he can be much in the NFL.  I thought Johnson was the 2nd best healthy WR option on the team by the end of last year.  

If he doesn't get picked up quickly in FA, I would bet we'll bring him back for cheap and at least let him be a camp body/potential PS guy.  He's got very good speed (4.39 forty) and other measurements from his combine (22 reps at 225, 1.53s 10-yd split, 2.48 20-yd split, 7.26 3 cone drill, 37 inch vertical, 11'3" broad jump, which are all very solid for a guy that's 6'1" 215 lbs.).

"Proven", no (aside from TY), but you simply can't give up on Campbell at this point. If he's Mr. Glass after this year, we move on, but we have to assume he'll look the part IMO.

We took two WR's last year -- Funchess (FA) and Campbell.

We took two WR's the year before -- Cain and Fountain.

Would not be surprised if we took at least two again -- one in FA and at least one in this draft.  Would not be surprised if we took two in the draft.   A class this good and most GM's will want two bites at the apple.

Archived