Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Reuter's 3 round mock

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105424/article/threeround-2020-nfl-mock-draft-30-qb-for-colts-in-round-3

Personally, I think if D. Brown and Kinlaw are both on the board, I think the Colts will draft Kinlaw before Brown.  Just hearing CB talk about length and speed on the defensive side, Kinlaw has both of those over Brown.

TE and WR in the 2nd and, IMO, the QB of the future in the 3rd.

Brown will have the chance to shore up his numbers at his pro day; his 40 was pedestrian and his 3 cone was historically bad. 

That said, the man's tape speaks for itself; he's a dominant football player and would shore up the Colts' problem at the 3T. 

If he's there at 13, and the QB situation has played out as Reuter suggests, the Colts grab him and don't look back. 

As for taking Jake Fromm in the 3rd.......... :yuk:

I'd rather not wait till round 3 to address QB. 

I know there are always a handful of guys there over the years, Dak, Wilson, Jacoby.

But I think if you're really looking for a quality player at any position, you pick em high. Round 1, Round 2.

Kinlaw missing the Senior bowl and combine is a bit of a yellow flag, but he did not have an injury history in college, so I'm not super concerned at this point... Now if he starts missing prodays etc. then yeah.  

As far as Kinlaw vs Brown.  I don't put Brown lower because of his combine workout, I just think Kinlaw is a better fit for the 3T.  When you watch Brown he is mre of a 1T and the Colts already have that in Stewart.  Plus I think Brown was helped but having another stud on the D line.  For Kinlaw, he was the stud on the Dline.

Brown is not a quick DT, IMO.  His forte is strength, like Suh, except he's not as good as Suh.  I don't know if Brown is a great fit for what we want at 3T.  Other DTs may be better suited and less expensive too.

Fromm at 75 is fine.  There really isn't much to develop, unlike Eason.  So Fromm can either do it from a physical standpoint or he can't.  That is a risk worth taking at pick 75, IMO.  

On 3/7/2020 at 9:28 AM, cjrichard said:

Brown in the first, J. Jefferson at #34,  Kmet at #44, Dugger or Solomon Kindley in the third.

Would be ecstatic going into the 4th round.  Pick QB in the 4th.

Joseph 

Yes. Let's wait to fix the teams biggest weakness til round 4.

The Office Reaction GIF

On 3/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, OhioColt said:

Kinlaw and his current health scares me off and by now kind of expect the Colts to have taken him off their draft board.

Anytime a player has an injury to his knees thats always a red flag. There is always that one player who's projected to go in the top 15 and an injury report comes up weeks before the draft. 

Unless we land a QB in free agency i dont see a vaiable option at QB in the draft. Burrow is the only one in the draft i would want

Joseph

On 3/8/2020 at 6:52 PM, danlhart87 said:

Yes. Let's wait to fix the teams biggest weakness til round 4.

The Office Reaction GIF

2 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

Unless we land a QB in free agency i dont see a vaiable option at QB in the draft. Burrow is the only one in the draft i would want

Joseph

Id give Rivers or Brady 1 year but that's about it. Even then we would need to go into next year prepared being our pick is fairly high and might not get that chance next year .

On 3/6/2020 at 4:08 PM, Gigc said:

I'd rather not wait till round 3 to address QB. 

I know there are always a handful of guys there over the years, Dak, Wilson, Jacoby.

But I think if you're really looking for a quality player at any position, you pick em high. Round 1, Round 2.

Brady was a 6th round pick.

A great QB does not have to be a high pick to be successful in the NFL. 

There are examples all over NFL and it's history that proves that. 

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Brady was a 6th round pick.

A great QB does not have to be a high pick to be successful in the NFL. 

There are examples all over NFL and it's history that proves that. 

There are certainly examples, but the odds are absolutely greater earlier. QB AV drops off big time after R2.

paine-datalab-nfldraft1.png?w=575

Draft-Pick-Value.jpg

Most-Valuable-Positions.jpg

First-Round-Value.jpg

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

There are certainly examples, but the odds are absolutely greater earlier. QB AV drops off big time after R2.

paine-datalab-nfldraft1.png?w=575

Draft-Pick-Value.jpg

Most-Valuable-Positions.jpg

First-Round-Value.jpg

The odds may be better but not a necessity. 

There have been plenty of players who were thought to be not a very good player that went to other teams and flourished. Players like Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Bret Farve (who was told he didn't have the talent needed for a QB by Atlanta) and Jim Plunkett. Hell, Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted by the NFL. 

My point is a QB does not have to be a 1st or 2nd round pick if they are put in the right situation. 

With the way the Colts are built I think a talented QB from any round can be successful. This may not have been true when Manning or Luck was drafted but this team has more talent to work with than in the past when we drafted high in the first round. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The odds may be better but not a necessity. 

There have been plenty of players who were thought to be not a very good player that went to other teams and flourished. Players like Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Bret Farve (who was told he didn't have the talent needed for a QB by Atlanta) and Jim Plunkett. Hell, Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted by the NFL. 

My point is a QB does not have to be a 1st or 2nd round pick if they are put in the right situation. 

With the way the Colts are built I think a talented QB from any round can be successful. This may not have been true when Manning or Luck was drafted but this team has more talent to work with than in the past when we drafted high in the first round. 

Dude, you're really reaching.... Only two of the guys you mentioned were after the 2nd. Steve Young would have gone in the first round to the Bengals had he not decided to go to the USFL, where he was taken in the 1st for a record contract. Favre was selected 33 overall. Plunket was the 1st overall pick. Gannon and Warner were tiny school wild cards. 

Show me a GM who's strategy it is to buy a lottery ticket, and I'll show you a GM who doesn't last long. And just because your team is better overall, doesn't mean you deliberately ignore the most important position. Teams that take late round QBs are teams who have good starters already, and can afford the time to develop/gamble. Taking a late round QB given the current situation is just, well, dumb. If they sign Rivers or Carr, then sure, take a shot in the mid rounds on a guy like Gordon. Not simply in addition to JB.... 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Dude, you're really reaching.... Only two of the guys you mentioned were after the 2nd. Steve Young would have gone in the first round to the Bengals had he not decided to go to the USFL, where he was taken in the 1st for a record contract. Favre was selected 33 overall. Plunket was the 1st overall pick. Gannon and Warner were tiny school wild cards. 

Show me a GM who's strategy it is to buy a lottery ticket, and I'll show you a GM who doesn't last long. And just because your team is better overall, doesn't mean you deliberately ignore the most important position. Teams that take late round QBs are teams who have good starters already, and can afford the time to develop/gamble. Taking a late round QB given the current situation is just, well, dumb. If they sign Rivers or Carr, then sure, take a shot in the mid rounds on a guy like Gordon. Not simply in addition to JB.... 

If reaching is what you call it so be it. I call it facts. 

What some call the GOAT of all QBs was taken in the 6th round. I understand that is not the norm but bringing in a QB on an already built team has to be taken into consideration. 

We do not have to have a generational QB to win a lot of games and even a super bowl. 

Right now in this draft there is only one considered generational QB and that is Burrow. Some don't even agree with that. 

This is a weak QB class. To trade up for a QB does nothing but lose draft capital. 

You say bring in an old QB that have seen their better days?  Well I don't agree. My opinion is bring in some new blood without trading up to get it done. 

I could be wrong but I have a feeling you and a few others are going to be pretty disappointed after free agency and the draft. 

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If reaching is what you call it so be it. I call it facts. 

What some call the GOAT of all QBs was taken in the 6th round. I understand that is not the norm but bringing in a QB on an already built team has to be taken into consideration. 

We do not have to have a generational QB to win a lot of games and even a super bowl. 

Right now in this draft there is only one considered generational QB and that is Burrow. Some don't even agree with that. 

This is a weak QB class. To trade up for a QB does nothing but lose draft capital. 

You say bring in an old QB that have seen their better days?  Well I don't agree. My opinion is bring in some new blood without trading up to get it done. 

I could be wrong but I have a feeling you and a few others are going to be pretty disappointed after free agency and the draft. 

I'm not in the camp to move up for a QB. The only moving up I've talked about was using 34+44 to move back into the 1st to get a DT after we take a QB at 13.

Facts are, only two of the guys you mentioned were taken outside of the 2nd, and they both were 20-30+ years ago when scouting/analytics/drafting was a lot different. Brady was also 20+ years ago. And he was drafted late by a team that had a clear starter. He was not drafted with the thinking he would the GOAT. BB has drafted mid and late round QBs every couple years as back up and developmental projects knowing he has his clear starter. I have no problem doing that, but you don't draft a late round guy thinking he's your fix. And right now, we need a fix.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2020 at 7:24 PM, danlhart87 said:

Id give Rivers or Brady 1 year but that's about it. Even then we would need to go into next year prepared being our pick is fairly high and might not get that chance next year .

Yes and I called it too.

Who knows what we do next year?

Archived