Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

25 GD Years

Lucky Colts Fan

So another thread about the '95 season got me thinkin...

The last quarter century has been pretty Gosh Darn Good for the Colts.

1 SB Trophy in 2006.

2 SB appearances in 2006 and 2009.

4 AFCCG appearances in 1995, 2006, 2009, and 2014.

17  Playoff appearances in the last 25 years.

Holy Cow, that's pretty darn good.  That's borderline elite compared to the rest of the NFL.  The Pats are the only franchise that can boast more playoff appearances in that time frame.

1 Jim Harbaugh.

1 Peyton Manning.

1 Andrew Luck.

Dang, that's a loaded stable, no matter how you rate your horses.  :D

1 Bob Sanders = 2007 Defensive POTY

1 Dwight Freeney = HoF DE

1 Robert Mathis = HoF DE

Dang, we had all those guys for a good stretch...  :rock:

Some might try to say that wasn't good enough.  But when you look at what the Colts organization has accomplished in the last 25 years, we're right up there with the best of the best.  We've been near the top in both offensive and defensive stats.  Without cheating.  Without rampant PED use.  Without the worst of the questionable.  For the most part, it has been done the right way, by the right people.

Let's take a moment to appreciate what we, as Colts fans, have had the privilege to experience for the last quarter century.  It comes straight from the top, from Mr. Irsay down to the ballboys.  Tony Dungy, David Thornton, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, the list goes on and on.  The Colts is a top-notch organization that we should be proud to root for as fans.

:clover: :colts: :clover:

Yeah 25 seasons = (1995-2019 seasons), we have been one of the best franchises in a QTR of a century.

(11) Divisional Round appearances = 1995, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2018 

(5) AFC Title Game appearances = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014

(2) SB appearances = 2006 and 2009

(1) SB Championship = 2006 which proved our greatness!

What stands out to me is the 11 Divisional Round appearances in 25 years. That means we make the Final 8 44% of the time over 25 seasons. Making the Final 8 = a good season no matter how one slices it.

We have been fortunate to have players in that time frame like:

QB - Jim Harbaugh

RB - Marshall Faulk

QB - Peyton Manning

WR - Marvin Harrison

WR - Reggie Wayne

RB - Edgerrin James

DE - Dwight Freeney

DE - Robert Mathis

S - Bob Sanders

C - Jeff Saturday

QB - Andrew Luck

WR - TY Hilton

LT - Anthony Castonzo

OG - Quenton Nelson

LB - Darius Leonard

K - Adam Vinatieri

P - Pat McAfee 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 25 seasons = (1995-2019 seasons), we have been one of the best franchises in a QTR of a century.

(11) Divisional Round appearances = 1995, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2018 

(5) AFC Title Game appearances = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014

(2) SB appearances = 2006 and 2009

(1) SB Championship = 2006 which proved our greatness!

What stands out to me is the 11 Divisional Round appearances in 25 years. That means we make the Final 8 44% of the time over 25 seasons. Making the Final 8 = a good season no matter how one slices it.

We have been fortunate to have players in that time frame like:

QB - Jim Harbaugh

RB - Marshall Faulk

QB - Peyton Manning

WR - Marvin Harrison

WR - Reggie Wayne

RB - Edgerrin James

DE - Dwight Freeney

DE - Robert Mathis

S - Bob Sanders

C - Jeff Saturday

QB - Andrew Luck

WR - TY Hilton

LT - Anthony Constonzo

OG - Quentin Nelson

LB - Darius Leonard

K - Adam Vinatieri

P - Pat McAfee 

Thank you sir.

As you said, no matter how you slice it, the past 25 years have been really REALLY good for the Indianapolis Colts.

This thread could go on and on about the HoF players we've had, the historical moments created by Indy Colts, and records set/broken by Indy Colts.

My personal favorite is Bob Sanders, and like a shooting star, his greatness was short, but very vivid in my memory.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Thank you sir.

As you said, no matter how you slice it, the past 25 years have been really REALLY good for the Indianapolis Colts.

This thread could go on and on about the HoF players we've had, the historical moments created by Indy Colts, and records set/broken by Indy Colts.

My personal favorite is Bob Sanders, and like a shooting star, his greatness was short, but very vivid in my memory.

giphy.gif

Bob was very critical to us winning that SB. I loved him.

I was a bit late to the party 2004- Present. But my teen years were filled with watching Peyton Manning orchestrate beautiful offenses every week. 

How many straight 12 win seasons?

Started 8-0 or better 4 times? Including 13-0 TWICE

And although he left Indy. We got to witness Peyton win 2 super bowls with 2 different teams. And reach 4 bowls with 4 different head coaches.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well Done Smile GIF by Indianapolis Colts

Where's sideshow Bob stepping on rakes..

It's been very mid 90's Braves at it's peak around here. There's always going to be the case that this team should have at the least one more SB, but there's been some nice seasons and Peyton's big run. Can't turn your nose up at that.

it has been a good to great run.  the only downside is if you try bringing it up on reddit or other sites they will just come back with the patriots did a lot more, and trolling other fan bases is a big part of the fun 

i still watched every game and enjoyed it in the moment 

27 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's been very mid 90's Braves at it's peak around here. There's always going to be the case that this team should have at the least one more SB, but there's been some nice seasons and Peyton's big run. Can't turn your nose up at that.

The Luck era wasn't great but overall it was very good IMO. Harbaugh's 95 season was priceless. The 90's Braves is a solid comparison to the 2000-2009 Colts. Probably should've won 1 or 2 more SB's. Look at it this way, at least we aren't the 1990-1993 Bills where they never won 1, 4 straight SB losses. Now that would be real tough to swallow.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Luck era wasn't great but overall it was very good IMO. Harbaugh's 95 season was priceless. The 90's Braves is a solid comparison to the 2000-2009 Colts. Probably should've won 1 or 2 more SB's. Look at it this way, at least we aren't the 1990-1993 Bills where they never won 1, 4 straight SB losses. Now that would be real tough to swallow.

Dan Marino didn't win 1 and he was worth several at least. Lot's of examples like this.

Winning a Super Bowl is a exceedingly difficult thing for a team to achieve. I think New England's 9 appearances sort of changed fans expectations of what's possible. In reality for 31 teams and likely N.E now too, that's not a thing that can be repeated or reasonably expected. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I think New England's 9 appearances sort of changed fans expectations of what's possible. In reality for 31 teams and likely N.E now too, that's not a thing that can be repeated or reasonably expected. 

Probably depends a bit on how thoroughly, repeatedly, and brazenly your organization is willing, top to bottom, to cheat.

On 3/5/2020 at 11:25 PM, Four2itus said:

I want sustained quality, and for 25 years, I have had that as a Colt fan.

I personally have ZERO to complain about. It's been a sweet ride, and I love who Jim has put in control. Wins are coming. Good times!

really same with the Pacers too.  Indy fans have had it pretty good for a while now.

33 minutes ago, Nickster said:

really same with the Pacers too.  Indy fans have had it pretty good for a while now.

Only if the Pacers had won at least 1 Championship. I feel bad for Reggie as he came close a bunch of times. Pacers have still been good for a long time. I am also a Cubs fan so I have been spoiled by all 3 sports for a long time. Cubs winning the WS in 2016 was priceless.

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only if the Pacers had won at least 1 Championship. I feel bad for Reggie as he came close a bunch of times.

Yup I feel bad for him too... really thought it would happen in his last season, the guys were really motivated to win one for him but things got all crazy with that group...

wrestling brawl GIF by WWE

25 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

NFL Network is showing the famous AFC Championship game. I still remember the feeling and experience of that game. 

I’m watching :D just hopped on the forum to see if anybody else was too. I lost my voice screaming with excitement during this game :rock::excited::cheer:

1 hour ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Yup I feel bad for him too... really thought it would happen in his last season, the guys were really motivated to win one for him but things got all crazy with that group...

Yeah that was bad. 1998 is probably the best team we ever had though with Reggie in his prime, Rik still in his prime, both Davis', and McKey. We took Chicago 7 games and barely lost Game 7 in Chicago. Jordan was unbeatable and we had him beat but just blew it in the end. That was the East Finals.

24 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Our finest hour! 
reggie wayne touchdown GIF

From 2003-2009 we rolled out some of the greatest teams ever. 89-23 record in that time frame with a SB win in 2006 to validate the run. To get to the SB in 2006 we had to go through Ray Lewis and Ed Reed at Baltimore - they were 13-3, then Tom and BB who were 12-4. The AFC was stacked that season. We were also 12-4 that season and the Chargers were 14-2. There was 4 teams in the AFC that won 12+ games that season.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:15 AM, The Fish said:

I’ve been a Braves fan my entire life so I understand. 

4 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I’ve been a Braves fan my entire life so I understand. 

Yeah I have been a Cubs fan all my life and finally we won it all in 2016. I am fine with 1 with them. That is all I ever asked for. I want more but if it doesn't happen, oh well. Braves in the 90's should've probably won 2 or 3 like the Colts with Manning. At least you did win the 1.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I have been a Cubs fan all my life and finally we won it all in 2016. I am fine with 1 with them. That is all I ever asked for. I want more but if it doesn't happen, oh well. Braves in the 90's should've probably won 2 or 3 like the Colts with Manning. At least you did win the 1.

The Braves should of beat the Twins but Kent Herbek pulled Ron Gant off first base. I remember being in elementary school and was absolutely disgusted. Was one of the few plays I thought of when sports started doing instant replay.  

8 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

You thought the Pacer would win a championship hahah your funny as long as we have McMillan and crappy gm and stupid owner the Pacer are not going anywhere

40 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

The Braves should of beat the Twins but Kent Herbek pulled Ron Gant off first base. I remember being in elementary school and was absolutely disgusted. Was one of the few plays I thought of when sports started doing instant replay.  

Yeah I remember that and that series. Braves lost in 7 games. 

On 3/6/2020 at 3:10 PM, Dogg63 said:

Probably depends a bit on how thoroughly, repeatedly, and brazenly your organization is willing, top to bottom, to cheat.

If you aren't pushing the boundaries of the rules to maximize advantages you're probably leaving wins on the ground.

As far as that goes i would he careful throwing that line around too boldly.  We have no idea when Manning started receiving HGH shipments "for his wife."  Probably with the Broncos who have a very long history of bending the rules (seriously the Broncos re way worse cheaters than NE, just less successful) and as he was dealing with serious neck pain that would eventually end hia career but one never does know

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

If you aren't pushing the boundaries of the rules to maximize advantages you're probably leaving wins on the ground.

As far as that goes i would he careful throwing that line around too boldly.  We have no idea when Manning started receiving HGH shipments "for his wife."  Probably with the Broncos who have a very long history of bending the rules (seriously the Broncos re way worse cheaters than NE, just less successful) and as he was dealing with serious neck pain that would eventually end hia career but one never does know

Absolutely correct; however, there's a huge difference between pushing boundaries and brazenly cheating. Flouting very clear rules, sneaking and hiding, breaking phones to hide the clear and convincing evidence are examples of straight up cheating - those are not simply pushing boundaries.

And if PM cheated then he cheated, it's not something that will entice me to sweep that or the Patriots' repeated illegal conduct under the rug. I put a well-deserved mental asterisk alongside every one of the Pats' wins, superbowl or not.

Ehh.  I really have no respect for the Wells report personally.  There's no particular reason to believe that there was a conspiracy to deflate footballs in that game, 99% of the  evidence ever put forward is pure hearsay, and there are whole books written about how bad the science was in the Wells report.  Also, everything I've seen suggests that most of our balls were below PSI too.

In my mind the only actual cheating anyone's caught the Patriots doing was Spygate way back when, and when you dig into the facts of Spygate you basically have an arrogant head coach ignoring a procedural rule, with any actual tactical advantage gained from doing so being incredibly minor.  Spygate wasn't smacked down because it was sooooooo egregious, it was smacked down because Belichick was flaunting NFL procedure on a number of fronts and Goodell decided to make an example.

A very similar transgression happened the year before Spygate with the Jets caught taping from the end zones.  The Jets got a small fine and their cameraman was thrown out of the stadium.

I'm not saying the Patriots don't cheat, necessarily.  Spygate was cheating, just a rather tame and weaksauce example of cheating anc once you peel back the hyperbole and look at the facts with unbiased eyes, the Patriots are pretty tame compared to some of the stuff the Steelers and Broncos have been caught doing (those 2 teams were at the forefront of the Steroid/HGH scandal in the NFL on several occasions).

On 3/7/2020 at 7:13 AM, RollerColt said:

NFL Network is showing the famous AFC Championship game. I still remember the feeling and experience of that game. 

Oh my goodness me too..

I was sitting in church for the 1st half and my phone kept vibrating i was like "oh no wth is going on" my friend invited me over to her house to finish the game, she was a Pats fan, so she was all excited when we got there to see 21-3. My heart fell to my butt. And I thought no this again...

After watching the comeback and seeing Marlin Jackson fall to the ground I couldn't contain myself lol. I don't think I slept that night. 

Archived