Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts not pursuing Rivers per Matthew Berry

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CR91 said:

Rivers is over the hill. Why do you wanna waste cap space

He be a great bridge option, to sit a rookie for a year. Also, with the potential in getting the Colts back in the playoffs in 2020. 

His 2019 stats were not bad, minus the INT’s. 

What’s your plan? 

Just now, Superfly said:

He be a great bridge option, to sit a rookie for a year. Also, with the potential in getting the Colts back in the playoffs in 2020. 

His 2019 stats were not bad, minus the INT’s. 

What’s your plan? 

Trade up for Herbert. 

There's lots of Philip Rivers-to-the-Colts talk out there, but as one insider noted to me, "That would go against everything general manager Chris Ballard has done the entire time he's been in Indy." A much more likely scenario is Indy signs a veteran to compete with (and back up) Jacoby Brissett and they give Brissett another year to prove himself. As Ballard mentioned from the podium, they gave Brissett a short deal to see what they had in him. He played well early (they were 5-2) and then he got hurt, so did a lot of other players, and it went downhill from there. Count me among the folks who don't think Rivers plays for the Colts in 2020.

This is the full quote. This sounds more like bringing in Marcus Mariota type... I guess it all depends on what he does in the draft, but this looks more like a "postpone drafting a QB" move rather than draft a QB early move. I don't know how to feel about it. I'm not convinced this is the way to go... Seems like complacency at both the present and future of the QB situation for the Colts.:dunno::scratch:

15 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

With the article LITERALLY saying the team MAY not pursue him..... How do you post a title stating it as fact?

"Berry notes that one Colts insider told him that if Indianapolis signed Rivers, it “would go against everything general manager Chris Ballard has done the entire time he’s been in Indy.”

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

"Berry notes that one Colts insider told him that if Indianapolis signed Rivers, it “would go against everything general manager Chris Ballard has done the entire time he’s been in Indy.”

Problem is, Ballard needs a QB and is trending in the wrong direction. 

What has three C. Ballard drafts proven thus far? The team is still dependent on above average to elite QB play to make it to the playoffs. 

Missing the playoffs possibly 3 out of 4 years as the GM, probably becomes real uncomfortable running the FO in 2021. 

Some here, think CB has all the time in world, and I disagree. 

Grigson sucked, and was canned with the Colts making the playoffs 3 out of 5 years. 

I expect Ballard to be aggressive this off season and he should with the cap space. 

From that article...signing Rivers "“would go against everything general manager Chris Ballard has done the entire time he’s been in Indy.”

So would winning the majority of football games without a legit QB. 

I guess I don't even understand the reasoning behind that quote. Addressing QB is much different than rebuilding the secondary or OL. 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

From that article...signing Rivers "“would go against everything general manager Chris Ballard has done the entire time he’s been in Indy.”

So would winning the majority of football games without a legit QB. 

I guess I don't even understand the reasoning behind that quote. Addressing QB is much different than rebuilding the secondary or OL. 

But Chris said, the locker room can handle a big FA signing. 

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is the full quote. This sounds more like bringing in Marcus Mariota type... I guess it all depends on what he does in the draft, but this looks more like a "postpone drafting a QB" move rather than draft a QB early move. I don't know how to feel about it. I'm not convinced this is the way to go... Seems like complacency at both the present and future of the QB situation for the Colts.:dunno::scratch:

I know how I feel about it. 

I guess I could get onboard with a legit vet QB for a year...but not a QB competition. If Ballard's plan to address the QB position is to only bring in a vet that could potentially lose to JB in a competition...then he's doing it wrong. Besides...willingly creating a QB controversy does not seem like Ballard's style...but it does sound like a great way to kick off the 2020 season. /s

14 minutes ago, Superfly said:

But Chris said, the locker room can handle a big FA signing. 

Right...the quote doesn't jive. Neither does the idea of creating a QB controversy.

I guess it could refer to the youth movement happening on the team...but the QB position is independent of that...and Luck put them in an extraordinary position. 

I am guessing that quote (if it truly came from a Colts insider) was one of those "smoke signals" Irsay was referring to.

24 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I know how I feel about it. 

I guess I could get onboard with a legit vet QB for a year...but not a QB competition. If Ballard's plan to address the QB position is to only bring in a vet that could potentially lose to JB in a competition...then he's doing it wrong. Besides...willingly creating a QB controversy does not seem like Ballard's style...but it does sound like a great way to kick off the 2020 season. /s

I think I agree. Competition is good for raising the floor of most positions when you don't have elite talent. It's pretty bad course of action when the position is QB and you are raising the floor from Jacoby Brissett to Marcus Mariota+JB. And to add insult to injury this most likely means no QB in the draft.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think I agree. Competition is good for raising the floor of most positions when you don't have elite talent. It's pretty bad course of action when the position is QB and you are raising the floor from Jacoby Brissett to Marcus Mariota. And to add insult to injury this most likely means no QB in the draft.

I wouldn’t read any interest in Mariotta as the Colts want him to replace Brissett as the starter.   I think we might have a level of interest as MM as the new backup replacing Hoyer.

Hard to see Ballard trying to sell Mariotta as our new starting quarterback.   Don’t see it. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t read any interest in Mariotta as the Colts want him to replace Brissett as the starter.   I think we might have a level of interest as MM as the new backup replacing Hoyer.

Hard to see Ballard trying to sell Mariotta as our new starting quarterback.   Don’t see it. 

Yeah I corrected my statement above to say floor of MM+JB... I actually think Mariota is probably the better QB but I agree JB will have the inside track to starting... Either way none of them are the solution long term.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Herbert. Rookie QBs start all the time. 

Some do, but mostly they don't.   Most need a redshirt year.   Heck, Patrick Mahomes got a redshirt year. 

And most think only Burrows and Tua (maybe) could start right away.   Most everyone else in this class is viewed as needing a redshirt year.   Including Herbert.  

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Some do, but mostly they don't.   Most need a redshirt year.   Heck, Patrick Mahomes got a redshirt year. 

And most think only Burrows and Tua (maybe) could start right away.   Most everyone else in this class is viewed as needing a redshirt year.   Including Herbert.  

Herbert and Love are going in the top 10. Their not sitting, atleast not the entire season.

8 hours ago, stitches said:

but as one insider noted to me, "That would go against everything general manager Chris Ballard has done the entire time he's been in Indy

Irsay and Frank have both said the three have equal say at the QB position.  I'm guessing Frank(and Siriani) want Rivers while Irsay doesn't want to try to sell tickets with a backup as his starter and throw away another season.  You're going to willingly throw out a true backup as your starter for 3 out of 4 seasons?

As far as the draft goes, nothing is guaranteed.  You're not guaranteed to be in position to pick a QB you like.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Trade up for Herbert. 

Herbert is an excellent option

Some of the talking heads..... who are 80% wrong..  Now have Love going before Herbert

We need a young QB to come in to develop..

I would be ok with any of the top 4

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

That's a bit over the top and it assumes that Ballard can't or won't alter the ships course if the wind changes.  We lost a franchise QB right before the season...I'd say the wind has forced us to change direction a tad en route to the super bowl.

7 minutes ago, buccolts said:

So, what does next years QB market look like at this time?

Kirk Cousins and that's about it.  Mahomes and Watson will have their 5 year options exercised.  The rest of the options are serious question marks - Trubisky (if no 5 year option), Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

This is the year to sign a FA QB, if at all.

8 hours ago, Superfly said:

Problem is, Ballard needs a QB and is trending in the wrong direction. 

What has three C. Ballard drafts proven thus far? The team is still dependent on above average to elite QB play to make it to the playoffs. 

Missing the playoffs possibly 3 out of 4 years as the GM, probably becomes real uncomfortable running the FO in 2021. 

Some here, think CB has all the time in world, and I disagree. 

Grigson sucked, and was canned with the Colts making the playoffs 3 out of 5 years. 

I expect Ballard to be aggressive this off season and he should with the cap space. 

Ballard did not have a franchise qb fall into his lap as did Polian and Grigson.  Ballard should/will be given more time to fix the position.

Its unreasonable to think he should force a qb decision the first offseason after Luck retires.

He deserves up to 5 off seasons to find the QB, IMO.

A team also cant win without a LT or an impact WR, so he needs to find those too at the same time he's looking for a qb.  Its just as hard to find one of those as it is to find a qb to run Reich's O, IMO.

Archived