Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 Stitches' Colts Mock Off-season 2.0 (post-combine)

I was planning for this one to be a less aggressive mock but Ballard's recent statement that the locker room is ready for big name free agents emboldened me to go wild again :P This is mostly for fun, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard still doesn't spend a ton. But for the time being enjoy this one:

I'm using Overthecap's Colts page for salary numbers. I'm using this article for Colts' own free agents.

I will be using spotrac's free agency tracker to find other teams' free agents and if there is market value figure listed, I will try to be close to it, unless I deem it unreasonable for one reason or another. 

For the draft I will be using The Draft Network's mock draft machine. I will run it with their predictive board, but I will try to take players based on how I feel about the players without trying to cheat the system(for example if a player I have ranked no. 8 is there on the board at 13 and is BPA, but is ranked 44 on their board I will NOT pass on him because I know I can draft him in later rounds, I would consider this cheating the system because I have information that in the real world GMs don't really have). 

Starting Team Cap Space: $86,162,964

Own Free Agents:

Unrestricted FAs

Josh Andrews OC 1 year 2M, reliable backup, secure him as our backup C for next year

Anthony Castonzo OT 1 year 16M ... We heard AC will be back but we still don't have the contract. From what Ballard is saying it looks like it will be year-to-year contract so... 1 year contract here. 

Devin Funchess, WR 1 year 5M... Ballard left me with the impression that they are actually happy with the way Funchess handled himself in his recovery behind the scenes. Give him one more year to prove himself. 

Joe Haeg OT/OG 2 years 7M (4.5M guaranteed, 3.5M cap hit for 2020) He's our most universal OLineman and has done good job filling holes throughout the whole line. Deserves to be paid

Jabaal Sheard DE - 2 years 12M (7M guaranteed, 6M caphit), solid lineman. Ballard stated he regretted not retaining some more vets to help the young guys. IMO it's possible Sheard becomes one of his learned lessons and he gives him a solid contract to stay and mentor the youth 

Jonathan Williams, RB 1 year 1M

Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB 1 year 1M

Marcus Johnson, WR 1 year 1M

Le'Raven Clark OT

Eric Ebron, TE

Clayton Geathers S

Adam Vinatieri K

Dontrelle Inman WR

Chester Rodgers WR

Restricted FAs

Trevon Coley DT

Exclusive Rights FAs

Daurice Fountain, WR $525,000

Rolan Milligan, S/CB $495,000

Cuts:

Bryan Hoyer (3M cap savings)

Margus Hunt(4M cap savings)

---Total Spent on Own FAs: $29,520,000 ||| Remaining Cap Space: $56,642,964

Other Teams' FAs:

Phillip Rivers, 2 years 40M, 25M guaranteed(20M fully guaranteed year 1) - The Colts get their upgrade at the starting QB position who can also serve as a bridge QB and mentor to a future of the franchise at the position that is going to be picked in the draft. Rivers has been one of the best QBs in the league over the last dozen or so years but has lately suffered decline in his mobility which paired with his horrible OLine in LA resulted in his worst season in the league. He still is one of the premier processors and masters of the mental game of football and hopefully with better protection from our OLine he will have a better season or two with the Colts. 

Javon Hargrave, DT 4 years 55M(30M guaranteed, 14M guaranteed 1st year) - this is our big time FA signing. One of the best interior pass-rushers in the league and he's young(27). He played in an uneven front and still managed to record the highest pressure rate from all interior players in the NFL last year. This is something we desperately need and something I feel like Ballard might actually splurge on. He's an explosive athlete who beats opponents with quickness and leverage thanks to low center of gravity. Ballard emphasized again in the exit interview/press-conference that the 3T is extremely important for our scheme... well... lets see what we can do with a player who IMO might be even more successful in our system than in the one he was playing thus far in PIT. 

Daryl Worley, CB 3 years 21M (12M guaranteed, 7M guaranteed year 1) Worley is versatile cornerback who can play all over the defensive backfield and he fits the length component that Ballard and co value - 33 1/4" arms. He is also only 25 and still has room for improvement. We suffered a lot once we lost Kenny Moore last year. This addition will serve as an injury insurance and 'swing DB"/swiss army knife for us.

Sean Davis, FS 1 year 1M - reclamation project/depth at safety. A safety with great athleticism and ability to hit, but very inconsistent

Jason Spriggs, OT - 1 year, 1M this is a reclamation project for the Colts with athletic upside. He was drafted in R2 by the Packers but injuries and great competition at the position leaves him with a lot to prove and not much to show for in his early career - he started only 9 games in his career so far. 

---Total Spent on Other Teams' FAs: $43M ||| Remaining Cap Space: $13,642,964

Trades:

Quincy Wilson for a 7th round pick(#202 from Oakland on draft day($1,251,309 savings)

Jacoby Brissett for a 4th round pick(#115) from New England (9M savings)

---Savings in trades: $10,251,309 ||| Remaining Cap Space: $23,894,273

And here comes the draft... 

Draft

(trade)

Colts trade up from #13 to #11 using the pick acquired from the Jacoby Brissett trade to get in front of Oakland and secure the future franchise QB for the team: 

Round 1. Pick 11 Jordan Love, QB, Utah State - my love for Love is not a secret around here, so I'm not sure I have to write much of a justification for this pick. IMO Love has the highest upside of all the QBs in this year's draft. He has high level QB traits and attributes. He already has some of the things I most value in a QB - pocket presence(one of the best in the class) and ability to make plays out of structure and on the move. He has one of the strongest arms in the draft and he has pretty much all the throws in his arsenal - he can throw bullets, he can throw with touch over defenders, he can throw the deep out, he can throw the seam, he can sidearm it to create different angle, he can throw with anticipation and timing. With that said, I expect him to need a year because his decision making needs to improve and makes some very weird mistakes with his reads + he needs to learn to run a pro offense without constantly looking to the sideline for instructions(Rivers will be good for him to learn from here). This is as much a bet on him as a prospect as it is on Frank Reich and the rest of the coaching staff to develop him. So here we go... Indy, meet your franchise QB of the future - Jordan Love. 

Round 2. Pick 34 Justin Madubuike, IDL Colts get one of the most explosive and agile defensive tackles in the draft. He fits perfectly in our scheme - can burst through gaps with his first step quickness, but also has the lateral agility to be able to execute some of the stunts and twists Eberflus likes to employ from time to time. 

Round 2. Pick 44 Denzel Mims - Not sure he will last until this point, but in this mock he did. I would love to pair him with TY Hilton and Parris Campbell. This will be some serious speed on the field. Mims is an explosive athlete who plays physical brand of football, but also has the long speed to punish defenders with double moves. His release off the LOS is very sudden and forceful and he creates advantage immediately on his routes. Great hands, great in the air. There were questions about the variability of his route tree early in the process because Baylor didn't make him run a lot of routes, but he answered those emphatically at the senior bowl where he was arguably the best receiver at the event. I would have been happy to get him at 34 too, but decided to go with Madubuike and he was still here for me to pick at 44. 

Round 3, pick 75 Matthew Peart, OT, UConn - here's a developmental OT with look for the future. 4 year starter in college. He's a bit raw but he has the physical and athletic traits to be a starting tackle in the league. He has nimble feet for his size and great length(36 5/8” !!! arms). Tons of athletic potential. He lacks refinement with his hands and gets overpowered  by opponents, but hopefully a year with an NFL coaching and strength and conditioning program will do him good. 

Round 4, pick 112 Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri - he was the winner at the combine... has the potential to be good versatile TE - he's not only a good pass catcher, but shows some flashes of ability to do the job as a run blocker. He had a great freshman year in Missouri with 11 TDs but he never really took off after that. Injuries have stunted his development. Still, his movement skill and speed will get him drafted relatively high. Will be great complement to Doyle and Alie-Cox

Round 5, pick 142 Harrison Hand, CB, Temple - Yep... another CB from Temple. This will make it 3 in the last 4 years. He's a big corner with the toughness and physicality that Ballard likes, willing tackler, good in zone coverage.  He did very well at the combine acing the explosiveness drills and he also measured with long arms (31 3/4”). 

Round 6, pick 173 Khalil Davis, DT, Nebraska - another explosive defensive tackle with developmental upside. Very quick for his size, but short arms might limit his ceiling. Might be situational inside rusher. 

Round 7, pick 204 Jauan Jennings, WR, Tennessee - very competitive and tough receiver... but his slow speed will limit him to being a big slot type of receiver. Still, he shows some ability to break tackles after the catch and gain additional yards. 

Round 7, pick 206 Keith Ismael, IOL, San Diego State - developmental interior lineman, he did well in the Senior Bowl against Kinlaw. Get him on the roster and lets see if he can make his way on the 53 man roster. 

---Total Spent on Draftees: ~$10M ||| Remaining Cap Space: $13,894,273

Depth chart:

Offense:
QB: Phillip Rivers, Jordan Love, Chad Kelly
RB: Marlon Mack, Nyheim Hines, Jordan Wilkins, Johnathan Williams, Bruce Anderson, Darius Jackson
WR1: TY Hilton, Zach Pascal, Marcus Johnson, Daurice Fountain,  Steve Ishmael
WR2: Denzel Mims, Devin Funchess, Ashton Dulin, Malik Henry
Slot: Parris Campbell, Jauan Jennings, Chad Williams
TE1: Jack Doyle, Billy Brown, Cedrick Lang, Ian Bunting
TE2: Albert Okwuegbunam, Mo Alie-Cox, Matt Lengel, Xavier Grimble, 
LT: Anthony Castonzo, Matthew Peart, Chaz Green
LG: Quenton Nelson, Jake Eldrenkamp, Keith Ismael
OC: Ryan Kelly, Josh Andrews, Javon Patterson
RG: Mark Glowinski, Joe Haeg, Andrew Donnal
RT: Braden Smith, Jason Spriggs, Travis Vornkahl

Deffense:
LDE: Jabaal Sheard, Ben Banogu, Al-Quadin Muhammad
DT: Grover Stewart, Justin Madebuike,  Iseoluwapo Jegede
3T:  Javon Hargrave, Denico Autry, Khalil DavisTyquan Lewis
RDE: Justin Houston, Kemoko Turay, Gerri Green
WILL: Darius Leonard, Bobby Okereke, E.J. Speed
MIKE: Anthony Walker Jr., Skai Moore 
SAM: Bobby Okereke, Matthew Adams, Zaire Franklin
SS: Khari Willis, George Odum,
FS: Malik Hooker, Sean Davis, Rolan Milligan
RCB: Pierre Desir, Harrison Hand, Briean Boddy-Calhoun,  Lafayette Pitts
LCB: Rock Ya-Sin, Marvell Tell III, Jackson Porter
Slot: Kenny Moore II, Daryl WorleyPicasso Nelson

Special teams:
LS: Luke Rhodes
P: Rigoberto Sanchez
K: Chase McLaughlin

*names in green are rookies

**names in blue are new FAs

Final thoughts:

- I did the full replacement of the QB room in this one. I'm not exactly sure how likely this is and how likely Rivers is to come if he knew we are planning to use a 1st round pick on a QB instead of on players that will help him compete? But does he have leverage? I kind of feel like we are offering him more than most other suitors will with or without the 1st rounder being spent on a win-now piece. 

- I really like our offensive weapons. That group of receivers can be pretty good and I feel like it is very complementary in variety of ways. You can have big possession X(Funchess) or big explosive field stretching X(Mims), you can put in small blazing fast slot(Campbell) or a big possession slot(Funchess?/Jennings?)... and TY complements all of them from the Z or slot. You have a great OLine and very solid stable of backs with varying skillsets. You have the solid versatile vet TE Doyle and Albert O who can go wild on mismatches. I feel like Rivers will be real good with this type of supporting cast. 

- Hargrave + Madebuike are a bit of an awkward fit together on run downs(both are best at 3T). That's why I put Grover still as a nominal 'starter' in base defense. But make no mistakes - on majority of snaps Hargrave and Madebuike will both be unleashed to pursue the passer. I still like the rotation a lot. I decided against spending money on EDGE players and I don't think the draft is particularly strong on the EDGE, so I decided to bring back Sheard and allow Turay and Banagu to show what they can do as rotational pass-rushers. 

- the defensive backfield is still a work in progress, but I tried to give it a bit of depth with a versatile piece like Worley who can play multiple positions. He's not a world beater but he's a solid corner who fits what Ballard likes in CBs. I feel like this is the year Rock. Tell and Desir have to show what they can do. This is a sneaky position of need going forward if Desir can't cut it and Marvel is either not ready or not good. In my mock draft I had the chance to draft a CB like Diggs in the second. What do you guys think? Would he have been better pick at 34 than Madebuike? Maybe if we do get a premier 3T FA(like I did), we should skip that position in the draft(or at least not pick this high)? What do you guys think? 

- I tried to balance the present and the future with this one. I spent a 1st and a 3d on what is clearly investments for the future rather than for the now(QB and OT), but I feel like I brought enough reinforcements in FA and with other picks to think this is an improved roster that can compete for playoff berth this coming season. 

Any thoughts and critique are welcome. Cheers everybody  :cheers:

(Disclaimer: I used the blueprint from my last mock so it's possible there are some mistakes/leftovers from it. Please don't hesitate to point out any glaring errors or things you think are overly unrealistic.)

Great pick with Madubuike, he is a bit undervalued, IMO. I am confident Mims will last till No.44.

Did you give consideration to Adam Trautman of Dayton in Round 3? I think he will end up being a better Pro than Okwuegbunam. If we do the FA moves and re-signings that you suggested, a developmental OT prospect in Round 3 may not be as important of a pick as a skill position player, IMO. Maybe Cam Akers in Round 3? I am sure that will be the sweet spot for RBs. It is likely Ballard drafts quality RB depth in Rounds 3 or 4, IMO. 

Well done with the FA moves, re-signings and draft picks put together to provide one good picture for all of us.

7 minutes ago, Superfly said:

I like it, but just don’t see any takers for Brissett or Wilson. 

I agree that it would be hard finding a taker for Brissett. He's and expensive back up, and the QB FA market is a buyers market this year, especially with the lower tier guys. It would likely just be a cut.

Props to you @stitches, and anyone who takes the time and effort to put these plans together. I don't post a lot because I am not as knowledgeable as a lot of you guys, but I really enjoy reading peoples' thoughts. I think the Rivers scenario seems the most likely one. This would be a great offseason for the shoe. I think the other option, if we aren't able to trade up and the top 4 QBs are gone at 13, is that we take Kinlaw at 13 and a project like Anthony Gordon in round 3 or 4.

@stitches Every year you never disappoint with the depth and research  you take to put one of your draft wish lists together.

Hargrave is one guy would love the Colts to sign in FA over anyone this year.  Fear tho like last year all 5 top DTs go in R1 (Brown, Kinlaw, Madebuike, Blacklock, and Gallimore). Hargrave will be our NT/weak-side DT based on his current skill set and former college days and Stewart as his backup.  

Last year we failed to get a top DT with Dexter and Jeffrey Simmons going much earlier than we anticipated.  This year besides us you got the following teams looking to upgrade their  DL:

P14 Bucs

P15 Broncos

P17 Cowboys

P21 Eagles

P25 Vikings

P27 Seahawks

Do we really want to chance drafting a R1 QB over securing one of the T5 DTs to replace Autry?  Madebuike and Gallimore are ideal candidates to play 3T.

Do like Mims or Claypool in R2 and Pert R3.  Overall wouldn’t mind this outcome and give you a B grade.

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Great pick with Madubuike, he is a bit undervalued, IMO. I am confident Mims will last till No.44.

Did you give consideration to Adam Trautman of Dayton in Round 3? I think he will end up being a better Pro than Okwuegbunam. If we do the FA moves and re-signings that you suggested, a developmental OT prospect in Round 3 may not be as important of a pick as a skill position player, IMO. Maybe Cam Akers in Round 3? I am sure that will be the sweet spot for RBs. It is likely Ballard drafts quality RB depth in Rounds 3 or 4, IMO. 

Well done with the FA moves, re-signings and draft picks put together to provide one good picture for all of us.

I did consider that option indeed(Trautman), but decided that I can't get out of this draft without developmental OT and I like the project that is Peart. Akers is one of the RBs that will be great for us in about R3 too, but I just thought at this point we are pretty well set at RB so... passed on it. 

Thanks for the input. Cheers. :cheers:

21 minutes ago, Superfly said:

I like it, but just don’t see any takers for Brissett or Wilson. 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree that it would be hard finding a taker for Brissett. He's and expensive back up, and the QB FA market is a buyers market this year, especially with the lower tier guys. It would likely just be a cut.

Very possible we won't get a taker. I followed what we've done in recent years with young players on the margins - usually there is a team that's willing to give you a 6th-7th round pick for them(Hairston, Anderson, Boehm, etc.). This was for Wilson. For Brissett... I kind of think that he will have more of a market. He is expensive if he's on his full deal, but he won't be... his team will have to pay only about 9M for this year and IMO this is a good deal both for a bridge QB and for high end backup. Or... for an audition for potential starter if some team really likes him(Belichick?).

9 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

@stitches Every year you never disappoint with the depth and research  you take to put one of your draft wish lists together.

Hargrave is one guy would love the Colts to sign in FA over anyone this year.  Fear tho like last year all 5 top DTs go in R1 (Brown, Kinlaw, Madebuike, Blacklock, and Gallimore). Hargrave will be our NT/weak-side DT based on his current skill set and former college days and Stewart as his backup.  

Last year we failed to get a top DT with Dexter and Jeffrey Simmons going much earlier than we anticipated.  This year besides us you got the following teams looking to upgrade their  DL:

P14 Bucs

P15 Broncos

P17 Cowboys

P21 Eagles

P25 Vikings

P27 Seahawks

Yeah, there are lot of teams that can use defensive linemen. But just like us, for mos tof them DL is not their only or even most important need. 

Do we really want to chance drafting a R1 QB over securing one of the T5 DTs to replace Autry?  Madebuike and Gallimore are ideal candidates to play 3T.

To answer your question - if you love the QB and believe he can be a franchise QB - absolutely. DT is nowhere close to importance and value to securing your future franchise QB. 

Do like Mims or Claypool in R2 and Pert R3.  Overall wouldn’t mind this outcome and give you a B grade.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. :cheers:

I like most of it...especially the QB moves (which I think are likely and necessary).

So I will just give my opinion on my preferences:

- Not giving Funchess another season

- Using #34 on a WR (in addition to Mims) instead of DL...especially if they go big in FA on the interior DL

- Not re-signing Sheard money and using that money (in addition to the Hargrave money) to get Clowney instead.

To address the interior DL, I would look at using that 3rd round pick (and waiting on OT til next year), as well as a FA dice roll (Billings, Jarran Reed).

Basically, I think they can fix the offense in this draft...and that should be the focus.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Very possible we won't get a taker. I followed what we've done in recent years with young players on the margins - usually there is a team that's willing to give you a 6th-7th round pick for them(Hairston, Anderson, Boehm, etc.). This was for Wilson. For Brissett... I kind of think that he will have more of a market. He is expensive if he's on his full deal, but he won't be... his team will have to pay only about 9M for this year and IMO this is a good deal both for a bridge QB and for high end backup. Or... for an audition for potential starter if some team really likes him(Belichick?).

I just don't see someone willing to spend 9M for a high priced backup with everything that is available. The best "fit" for him IMO would be Pitt, but their cap situation is horrible. I just think it's more likely we cut him (I hope you're right though), and he goes and signs some place for less. He's not someone I'd want to pair with a rook or young QB. He'd be best going to a stable team with an established starter who would value a safe back up. SF might be a good spot too.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I like most of it...especially the QB moves (which I think are likely and necessary).

So I will just give my opinion on my preferences:

- Not giving Funchess another season

- Using #34 on a WR (in addition to Mims) instead of DL...especially if they go big in FA on the interior DL

- Not re-signing Sheard money and using that money (in addition to the Hargrave money) to get Clowney instead.

To address the interior DL, I would look at using that 3rd round pick (and waiting on OT til next year), as well as a FA dice roll (Billings, Jarran Reed).

Basically, I think they can fix the offense in this draft...and that should be the focus.

Yeah, those are some good reasonable ideas I can see happening. I can see Funchess being let go... but Ballard's statements for the media makes me think they will try to keep him. 

Your thought process seems like the basis for a good mock too. You should do one. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Cheers :cheers:

I don’t like the Rivers addition, like you said he might not want to go to a team that is using a first on a QB. 

I also don’t think he will be a good mentor in the QB room, I’d rather keep JB for continuity and knowing the playbook or even trading for Foles because he has an out in his contract next year, and we could probably get him super cheap or even gain a draft pick 

I love it! Glad you paid attention to Mayocks take on Wilson and i think that would be an all around great trade for both teams. I do think a 4th or 5th round is fair for Jacoby. Their are plenty of teams out there that would want a good back up QB who can win games. Philly comes to mind.

@stitches great job my friend! Absolutely love this and agree with nearly everything you wrote. Rivers, Love, and Kelly is my preference as well. Would replace Madabuke with Blacklock, but that's a minor quibble. Your FA's are solid. This would put us in the playoffs this year IMO with a bright future! :thmup:

Great effort

Well thought out!

Im not a Rivers fan, and if we get to a position to draft Love, I would let JB start the year, and bring in Love as he is ready

We aren’t winning the SB with Rivers..... If we were merely a QB away from the SB and Rivers was 34 years old..... maybe

There seems like a great deal of chatter that Love will go in top 10

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great effort

Well thought out!

Im not a Rivers fan, and if we get to a position to draft Love, I would let JB start the year, and bring in Love as he is ready

We aren’t winning the SB with Rivers..... If we were merely a QB away from the SB and Rivers was 34 years old..... maybe

There seems like a great deal of chatter that Love will go in top 10

Yeah, I wouldn't mind going with JB if we draft a QB high. I just thought this team is too good to let it play with such a limited QB for one more year. I think Rivers even in his old state is much better QB than Jacoby on his best days and gives us a better chance to compete. Maybe we don't get to a superbowl, but there is also value to having a QB who can distribute the ball and get it to his receivers(developmental value for the young receivers and OLine). Rivers will run your offense and he will execute. This is very important when you have good playcallers that can scheme receivers open. 

Very nice job.  No secret I'm not the biggest Love fan here but at least you didn't have to trade up to get him.  I like the Justin M. and Denzel M. picks, the addition of Hargrave in the middle, and you solidified the roster well.  If I could only find one thing to critique it would be that your roster is over 80 players deep and they would need to cut quite a few of these guys to get down to the requirement.  But that is a good thing when you are having to cut good players, no?

35 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Very nice job.  No secret I'm not the biggest Love fan here but at least you didn't have to trade up to get him.  I like the Justin M. and Denzel M. picks, the addition of Hargrave in the middle, and you solidified the roster well.  If I could only find one thing to critique it would be that your roster is over 80 players deep and they would need to cut quite a few of these guys to get down to the requirement.  But that is a good thing when you are having to cut good players, no?

Thanks... yeah... I should have added about 10 more UDFAs :D 

I put everybody that's currently on the roster by overthecap's site, but yeah... cuts will need to be done by week 1. The hardest positions to cut will be WR and surprisingly... DL I think. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Thanks... yeah... I should have added about 10 more UDFAs :D 

I put everybody that's currently on the roster by overthecap's site, but yeah... cuts will need to be done by week 1. The hardest positions to cut will be WR and surprisingly... DL I think. 

The WR room will be really interesting this year. Draft, FAs, UDFAs from last year and new ones, plus the other misc PS and roster guys.

Archived