Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Four players you deem are worth trading up for

Ok. So here is the deal. It is fairly common out there in draft talk land...that Joe Burrow and Chase Young are going 1 and 2 in this draft. So assuming that is true, and for this excercise, they are off the board.

So, pick the four players that YOU feel are worth trading up for from the 13 spot. No trades, no trade value convo's, just players. From slot #3 to slot #12, name your 4 players that you will be excited that the Colts spent draft capital on. 

Mine :

Isaiah Simmons

Tristan Wirfs

Javon Kinlaw

Jedrick Wills

15 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I am skeptical of Tagovailoa with his injury.

Fair. But the last I heard was he was expected to be medically cleared soon and we can see how his pro day shakes up. So I'm more of an optimist that there won't be any setbacks. 

Tua

Herbert

Simmons

Okudah

Tua and Herbert are the only QBs I would even consider moving up for, and Simmons and Okudah are both defenders that will help take the defense to the next level. 

I’m sure many will say Love, but I would barely even start to think about taking him at 13, so using draft capital to move up for him would be a mistake, and if he’s gone by 13, then so be it. He isn’t worth it

2 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Fair. But the last I heard was he was expected to be medically cleared soon and we can see how his pro day shakes up. So I'm more of an optimist that there won't be any setbacks. 

He has also had surgery on both ankles. He holds the ball a long time trying to make a play. He isn’t as athletic as Love or Herbert either. With us playing on that hard turf and his history with injuries I would pass.

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only players worth trading up for are Herbert and Love. When you have no QB trading up for any other  position in my mind is worthless. If we were set at QB then we could talk about other positions.

Love, herbert, Simmons, brown

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

He has also had surgery on both ankles. He holds the ball a long time trying to make a play. He isn’t as athletic as Love or Herbert either. With us playing on that hard turf and his history with injuries I would pass.

Tua gives me great concern with his injury history but I would take him at 13. The OP asked a great question here assuming the top 2 guys are taken. The issue for me is now that the combine has exposed a few guys I would have easily moved up for (Brown and Kinlaw) they all seem to have flaws and concerns. I do like what Whirf has done but with AC coming back, can you afford to add him? We either need a starting QB and a dominant 3 tech DT. There is not a dominant DE we can get past Young that’s worth moving up for. The very best WR can get schemed out to force others to beat you so I’m not moving up for a WR. No RB. No TE. QB is at best scary to move up for. Maybe Okuda? No Safety. Simmons is a very nice piece but is it a piece we need overall? I say no. The best 2 DT’s on the board has knee tendinitis and bad numbers in the combine. Crap!! WR seems the most stable for really great talent but to give up draft capital to move up for one, I just wouldn’t. 

in a nutshell, I think staying put and just taking the BPA is the right move. I’m so glad I don’t have to make the choice because it stresses me out guessing and I’m not getting fired for missing on my opinion nor will I get a raise if I’m right. 

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Ok. So here is the deal. It is fairly common out there in draft talk land...that Joe Burrow and Chase Young are going 1 and 2 in this draft. So assuming that is true, and for this excercise, they are off the board.

So, pick the four players that YOU feel are worth trading up for from the 13 spot. No trades, no trade value convo's, just players. From slot #3 to slot #12, name your 4 players that you will be excited that the Colts spent draft capital on. 

Mine :

Isaiah Simmons

Tristan Wirfs

Javon Kinlaw

Jedrick Wills

Tua

Herbert

Love

Brown

Basically, if Ballard overwhelmingly feels one of the other 3 QBs is his guy, you get him. You don't settle for QBs, this isn't Madden. Other than that, you move up for Derrick Brown. He is the Quenton Nelson of DT's, and Kinlaw has knee tendonitis. Easy decision there if you love him and he's there when the Panthers pick.

NONE.  

Why trade up especially for a QB that is no better than what we have now starting and will need longer time to learn the playbook?

This draft class is loaded this year and players will fall to later rounds.  Look at WR alone has an additional 10-15 players expected to be drafted early.

If anything we would want to drop back a few slots in R1 add future pick(s) with more ammo to draft.

8 hours ago, OhioColt said:

NONE.  

Why trade up especially for a QB that is no better than what we have now starting and will need longer time to learn the playbook?

This draft class is loaded this year and players will fall to later rounds.  Look at WR alone has an additional 10-15 players expected to be drafted early.

If anything we would want to drop back a few slots in R1 add future pick(s) with more ammo to draft.

Any of the top 4 QBs (and maybe even more) are better than Brissett. You are overvaluing Brissett greatly. 

Someone blue chip is falling to us, so I really don’t think any non-QBs.  That being said, the ones I would be least upset about are as follows:

Herbert

Brown

Wirfs

Jeudy

Love would make me livid, as I’d be simply upset if we took him at 13 (or 34, for that matter)...

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Tua is there at 4, I would consider it. Otherwise, I stand pat, period. You WILL get a good prospect that should be able to help the team at No.13, no doubt in my mind, no need for panic.

I don't think panic is the right word for moving up to get their guy

10 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Tua gives me great concern with his injury history but I would take him at 13. The OP asked a great question here assuming the top 2 guys are taken. The issue for me is now that the combine has exposed a few guys I would have easily moved up for (Brown and Kinlaw) they all seem to have flaws and concerns. I do like what Whirf has done but with AC coming back, can you afford to add him? We either need a starting QB and a dominant 3 tech DT. There is not a dominant DE we can get past Young that’s worth moving up for. The very best WR can get schemed out to force others to beat you so I’m not moving up for a WR. No RB. No TE. QB is at best scary to move up for. Maybe Okuda? No Safety. Simmons is a very nice piece but is it a piece we need overall? I say no. The best 2 DT’s on the board has knee tendinitis and bad numbers in the combine. Crap!! WR seems the most stable for really great talent but to give up draft capital to move up for one, I just wouldn’t. 

in a nutshell, I think staying put and just taking the BPA is the right move. I’m so glad I don’t have to make the choice because it stresses me out guessing and I’m not getting fired for missing on my opinion nor will I get a raise if I’m right. 

If Kinlaw has a very good Pro Day, I would definitely take him at No.13.

However, based on value of position, everything is pointing in the QB or WR direction if we stand pat at No.13. 

I agree with several that there is no need to move up.  We'll get a VERY good, or great player at 13, whether it's aQB that falls to us that CB likes a lot, or one of many other talented players on both sides of the ball.

Or, we just go ahead and draft Arch Manning at 13 and he can just skip college :)

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only players worth trading up for are Herbert and Love. When you have no QB trading up for any other  position in my mind is worthless. If we were set at QB then we could talk about other positions.

That's pretty much how I feel, except I would also add edge rusher and, on a rare occasion, a special LT or CB.  But for the most part, I wouldn't trade up for anyone but a QB or Edge guy.

1 hour ago, TheMose said:

Any of the top 4 QBs (and maybe even more) are better than Brissett. You are overvaluing Brissett greatly. 

Not overvaluing Brissett.  Am just not putting a premium on R1 QBs for us to draft.  Too many WRs in this draft class   that will force players to drop but make other rise.  After the combine expect a few R2 DTs to go in R1 now.  Do we really want to skip on a chance to pick a top DT in R1 again especially for a QB that probably isn’t much better than Brissett?

I sure wish we could come have come out of this draft with Ruggs & Love.  Love's meteoric rise up the draft boards has made that an impossibility.  If we stay put and Love is gone I'd like to see us draft Ruggs at 13.  He is a physical freak of nature.  Wouldn't shock me at all if he ends up being the best receiver from this draft class and this is one of the most stacked receiver classes ever.

18 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Not overvaluing Brissett.  Am just not putting a premium on R1 QBs for us to draft.  Too many WRs in this draft class   that will force players to drop but make other rise.  After the combine expect a few R2 DTs to go in R1 now.  Do we really want to skip on a chance to pick a top DT in R1 again especially for a QB that probably isn’t much better than Brissett?

What good is a WR if you don’t have a QB to get them the ball.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

If Kinlaw has a very good Pro Day, I would definitely take him at No.13.

However, based on value of position, everything is pointing in the QB or WR direction if we stand pat at No.13. 

I have no doubt his pro day will be great. I am more worried about the knee, the knee he missed the senior bowl for. It’s one thing for it to show up after 4-5 years in the league, now you have to wonder, does he fulfill a 4 year contract due to a chronic knee condition? I think it’s very fair to be real concerned with it. Depending on the medical reports, I’d take him off my board from the first round anyway. 

11 hours ago, OhioColt said:

NONE.  

All 4 of the top QBs are better prospects than what we currently have. I'd rather have Fitzpatrick than brissett

Archived