Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Clowney

r a y s k i

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm torn on signing him.

Positives:

He's good at creating pass rush and the Colts need that.

He would make the team better.

Negatives:

Salary cap space.   I'm assuming he won't agree to a 1 year deal.  

Attitude.  

I'm not really worried about his attitude. We've got enough "good" guys and leaders, we can handle some "me" guys. Salary cap wise, I agree, but assuming Ballard has good bean counters on staff to ensure we have enough, and if we don't.... won't happen.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not really worried about his attitude. We've got enough "good" guys and leaders, we can handle some "me" guys. Salary cap wise, I agree, but assuming Ballard has good bean counters on staff to ensure we have enough, and if we don't.... won't happen.

Mike Bluem. Best bean counter in the nfl... If he says it can work, it can work.

Cap space isn't really an issue is it? I think, due to all the 1 year contracts, we are currently projected the most cap space in the league again next year. Obviously extensions would cut into that number a bunch, but if we wanted to, I think we could sign Clowney without too much cap worry. I just don't think we want to sign him.

11 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Cap space isn't really an issue is it? I think, due to all the 1 year contracts, we are currently projected the most cap space in the league again next year. Obviously extensions would cut into that number a bunch, but if we wanted to, I think we could sign Clowney without too much cap worry. I just don't think we want to sign him.

I may be wrong, but I was assuming Ballard will use some of next years cap space to extend some of our younger studs.   

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

There’s this pesky thing called a salary cap that we have to deal with. Clowney is wanting a LOT of cash

If we have any real interest in Clowney and cap space was a concern, the team cuts loose of JB and poof, caps not an issue any longer. I’d still be in for a single year of right at 12-13 million and potential goal oriented perks to pay him in the 15-17 million mark but he would have to have an all-pro type season to make that kind of bank. 

im indifferent about him really. He has a hot motor when on the field. He makes a QB move from his space but may not get the sack. He is extremely capable of stopping the run too and if not for the offside penalties he has had and that mercenary for hire style attitude he seems to hold, he would be a great get. I’d rather him than Lewis or Autry right now at end. I just don’t think Lewis is gonna show us that potential CB thought he seen.  

9 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd still love to get Clowney but I'm not even sure if we still have any interest at this point?

I'm not sure either but Sheard is still available and he's still a good player who would be an asset in a going for it year.  Could be a case of 1st choice Clowney then 2nd choice Sheard.  Waiting it out. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not sure either but Sheard is still available and he's still a good player who would be an asset in a going for it year.  Could be a case of 1st choice Clowney then 2nd choice Sheard.  Waiting it out. 

We'll see if anything happens.  Ballard has recently said he wanted to let the young guys play and that he was fine with the DL so I don't know if anything at all happens.  I think we need to add another vet but who knows. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we don't sign an upgrade, I'm all for bringing Sheard back just for depth and leadership. He's familiar and by all accounts was a good team guy.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

We'll see if anything happens.  Ballard has recently said he wanted to let the young guys play and that he was fine with the DL so I don't know if anything at all happens.  I think we need to add another vet but who knows. 

I doubt Ballard would show his cards by acting too enthused about another big name to the DL, if he really were interested in Clowney. IDK. Personally, I'd give him whatever cap space is left on a one year deal, or a team friendlier deal for 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If we don't sign an upgrade, I'm all for bringing Sheard back just for depth and leadership. He's familiar and by all accounts was a good team guy.

I doubt Ballard would show his cards by acting too enthused about another big name to the DL, if he really were interested in Clowney. IDK. Personally, I'd give him whatever cap space is left on a one year deal, or a team friendlier deal for 2 years. 

I have to say I'm a little stoked right now knowing the Seahawks have reassigned his number.  Those Vegas odds are pretty strong and were probably done before the reassignment was known. 

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

With Houston, Buckner, Stewart and Day the Colts have a good enough group to let some of the younger guys develop with meaningful snaps.  So far, I'm not sold on Turray, Banagu, Lewis, but I'm willing to trust in FO that they have shown enough to warrant additional snaps.

13 hours ago, Riversrun said:

Clowney Would make a very big impact on this D .I am in the camp of are we all in or what ? I mean you go get Rivers then get DBuck and you won’t make a serious play at a player who may make a pivotal stop in an AFC championship vs what ? Are we all on Chris or what ? 

I agree, but our QB payroll is so out of control it probably effects a move like this.

I think I’d like to see 2 yr 30 mil/ 20 guaranteed.  That would work I think with a 2021 QB commitment at right now a 4th round rookie contract and a PS players contract.

Wonder if someone will pay him a mint.  His presence on this line would exponentially grow its effectiveness in my opinion, well beyond his individual contribution.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I didn't either. And with Seattle giving his number back, Colt's might be the favorite now.

Who knows though. I'm sure these are just the Vegas guys making lines up based most on gut for most of these guys beyond Seattle. 

I think Vegas operates on something different than guts man.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I see Sheard as just solid at his spot and we already know what he brings to the table for this team. I see Clowney as just a bit above solid and as an unknown to what he can bring our team. I’d guess we could get Sheard back closer to the 5 million mark whereas Clowney would require 10+. The question would be would Clowney have such a ceiling that would give this team that much of a competitive advantage to justify at least twice the cost? I’d guess it’s a no. Idk. 

21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think Vegas operates on something different than guts man.

When they have solid intel, sure.... Most times they don't, especially on exotics like this. They just want folks to bet on all the exotics as possible. It's an easy win for them. And they'll simply adjust the odds as the bets come in to minimize risk and maximize profits. BTW, I used to bookie 25ish years ago.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

With Houston, Buckner, Stewart and Day the Colts have a good enough group to let some of the younger guys develop with meaningful snaps.  So far, I'm not sold on Turray, Banagu, Lewis, but I'm willing to trust in FO that they have shown enough to warrant additional snaps.

Agreed. I have belief in what Turay brings, I hope that in his second season, Banagu can become more consistent and give some rush. I have absolutely no hope for Lewis, he has given nothing but was he mismanaged in his spots on the team? Is he a DE or a DT or a 3-4 LB’er? I’m not sure we developed him well for what he is. I think we tried to make him what we wanted instead. Bad choice but then again, in their assessing him, maybe he just didn’t show well at either spot and forced a choice to try and make him into something. 

i think we should offer him the 17 million for one year , maybe with incentives to make him prove hes really worth that.  i doubt the locker room will be mad they gave that much to someone as gifted as clowney

hes not a trouble maker, not known for getting into fights or getting suspended.  i think he was fined once

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

Agreed. I have belief in what Turay brings, I hope that in his second season, Banagu can become more consistent and give some rush. I have absolutely no hope for Lewis, he has given nothing but was he mismanaged in his spots on the team? Is he a DE or a DT or a 3-4 LB’er? I’m not sure we developed him well for what he is. I think we tried to make him what we wanted instead. Bad choice but then again, in their assessing him, maybe he just didn’t show well at either spot and forced a choice to try and make him into something. 

Agree about Lewis.

Turay is one hang nail away from being a bust.  

Banogu, needs to show more in year two. 

I’m actually relieved Ballard didn’t draft another 2nd Rd Edge, who can’t play three downs. 

Just now, Superfly said:

Agree about Lewis.

Turay is one hang nail away from being a bust.  

Banogu, needs to show more in year two. 

I’m actually relieved Ballard didn’t draft another 2nd Rd Edge, who can’t play three downs. 

Certainly, no argument out of me on all of this. I do however think Turay has the skill set needed to become a Mathis like clone but yeah, he has to maintain his health while doing it. May be one of those guys that has all the will and drive in the world but his body won’t comply, ala Bob Sanders :(

I see no harm in bringing him in for a year at the right price. He would be an upgrade over Sheard and does provide a ton of pressure even if he doesn’t always turn that into sacks.

Also should we not resign him after a good to great year on his part and you’re looking at a high comp pick.

Win-Win in my books.

The Colts have a few players that will want to get paid soon:

TY

Mack

Kelly

Hooker

IDK - I’ve always thought he was a little overrated and jumps offside a lot. But, I trust that IF the Colts make the move, it will be for the right amount of $$ and years.

47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

When they have solid intel, sure.... Most times they don't, especially on exotics like this. They just want folks to bet on all the exotics as possible. It's an easy win for them. And they'll simply adjust the odds as the bets come in to minimize risk and maximize profits. BTW, I used to bookie 25ish years ago.

I don’t think the odds have anything to do with anything That will determine where he’ll sign.

I thought you meant gut instinct as to where he will sign.

i guess you’d call it gut instinct as to how many people will bet with given odds.  I would think there would be quite a bit put into those calculations though.

1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

TY

Mack

Kelly

Hooker

personally i would not sign mack or hooker to a big deal.  hooker simply has not earned that, and we drafted macks replacement

we cant let ty leave yet, im confident they will figure that one out.   kelly wont be tough to sign either imo  

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t think the odds have anything to do with anything That will determine where he’ll sign.

I thought you meant gut instinct as to where he will sign.

i guess you’d call it gut instinct as to how many people will bet with given odds.  I would think there would be quite a bit put into those calculations though.

On exotics they take all intel and factor, and then look at past trends on similar exotics, and also how certain fan bases bet. It's more art than science on exotics. After they set the line which is a lot of gut, they let the computers make the calcs and adjustments to minimize/maximize based on where hte money goes.

Mack is gone unless he signs cheap.  Hooker hasn’t earned a lucrative extension.  TY’s age and injury history should limit any raise should an extension happen..  Kelly, in the other hand, will make bank from the Colts or another team.

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

On exotics they take all intel and factor, and then look at past trends on similar exotics, and also how certain fan bases bet. It's more art than science on exotics. After they set the line which is a lot of gut, they let the computers make the calcs and adjustments to minimize/maximize based on where hte money goes.

interesting.  It seems like the strategy would be the same with line numbers too.  They set the line where people will lay the most cash.

do the oddsmakers know a whole lot of football?  I wouldn’t think so.  Is there a difference between lines and exotics?

55 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

It would seem to be an excellent incentive based situation

Pay him a base of 12m for 2 years, but let him make 18M based on sacks/pressures/games played......

It lowers the risks, but gives him a chance to make some $$$

I could live with that.... 

“Show me the sacks!!”

E1AD132F-AF1E-4EE3-9571-729B8ED70289.jpeg.8762cb20a22f6ed306f9369646948149.jpeg

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Wonder if they have any plans to move Lewis outside? Might suit him better

If he doesn't improve on his play, they might move him outside the roster. It feels like this is his last chance. I can see him being a 53 man roster cut similarly to Basham this year.

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

3 pages about a guy that was never on the Colts radar.

How are you so sure? There have been many reports of the colts being interested as soon as free agency started, where there is smoke their is fire.

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

How are you so sure? There have been many reports of the colts being interested as soon as free agency started, where there is smoke their is fire.

You're right...I'm not sure. However, considering where the team is right now, I would place the likelihood of them being interested now at less than 5%.

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

If we have any real interest in Clowney and cap space was a concern, the team cuts loose of JB and poof, caps not an issue any longer. I’d still be in for a single year of right at 12-13 million and potential goal oriented perks to pay him in the 15-17 million mark but he would have to have an all-pro type season to make that kind of bank. 

im indifferent about him really. He has a hot motor when on the field. He makes a QB move from his space but may not get the sack. He is extremely capable of stopping the run too and if not for the offside penalties he has had and that mercenary for hire style attitude he seems to hold, he would be a great get. I’d rather him than Lewis or Autry right now at end. I just don’t think Lewis is gonna show us that potential CB thought he seen.  

My guess is Lewis will be playing inside on 3rd and longs... maybe his nagging injuries made him look slow, but from what I have seen of him, I don't foresee him ever excelling on the end, especially as a pass rusher.

My 2nd guess is that Windsor, the rookie from PSU, will play well in camp/pre-season and make Lewis expendable.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

That'd be my main concern w/ signing Clowney is it'd limit the growth of Turay and Banogu... though, I guess the risk is if Turay gets healthy and Banogu doesn't continue growing, we may be in some trouble (though, I think we could move Autry to DE, potentially Lewis, etc.).

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

TY

Mack

Kelly

Hooker

IDK - I’ve always thought he was a little overrated and jumps offside a lot. But, I trust that IF the Colts make the move, it will be for the right amount of $$ and years.

The fact that we haven't yet offered to extend Hooker's rookie contract and that Ballard thinks Blackmon is a legit starting FS in this league, to me says Hooker will either need to really step up and the Colts would have to extend him mid-season, or he's gone.

The Taylor draft pick probably means Ballard is not going to give huge money to Mack to stick around.

Kelly, I think will be kept, he and Big Q are too good a duo to separate while they're this young.

TY is not going to be getting a huge contract if he is plagued with injury all year.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

LOL.  Yeah, this guy is a candidate to represent the horseshoe.  Lock this thread asap, please.

hes never really been in trouble, you realize that right?  hes not always the most likable guy or a ray of sunshine but he hasnt gotten into fights or caused drama either 

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hes never really been in trouble, you realize that right?  hes not always the most likable guy or a ray of sunshine but he hasnt gotten into fights or caused drama either 

god forbid we have some attitude on the dline

Archived