Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Clowney

r a y s k i

Obviously ("potentially") you can't believe half of what's in the NFL news around the draft but interesting idea. I'd be interested I think, one of the best run stopper defensive ends in the game and a great playmaker in my opinion. Probably very very expensive but interesting thought to play w anyways.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Can the Seahawks tag him?

Do the Seahawks want to tag him if they can?  I did hear they weren't completely thrilled with his performance.

It becomes that cost-benefit analysis.  The Texans didn't keep and if the Seahawks let him walk what does that say?  Is he worth that huge contract?

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

could..potentially....have some....

I have some inside information around this subject too...

My sources say any team in the top 10 of salary cap space that didn't make the playoffs are mildly very seriously pursuing the elite free agents with a loosely aimed laser focus that will guarantee they sign them unless they dont. 

6 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

After next year Leonard will need to be paid, the following year it's Nelson's turn. Spending the "extra cash" is what's killing the Jags now.

True. Colts have a lot of cap that’s not being used wisely. We’re still on the books for some of lucks contract this year I think. Also the deal Ballard gave Brissett looks to be bad money spent. Someone quote me if I’m wrong but that probably equals about 25mil I’m cap tied into a retired player and a QB that is a backup at best. 

Clooney has never blown me away. Has had a 6 year career of ups and downs. Never really wrecked any games. I think all of our interest should be trying to rip Yannick from the Jags. 25 year old DE that would continue to flourish under Justin Houston. He'll probably cost a pretty penny...but we need to get Leonard and Houston some help on D. 

25 minutes ago, Barrdaddy said:

Clooney has never blown me away. Has had a 6 year career of ups and downs. Never really wrecked any games. I think all of our interest should be trying to rip Yannick from the Jags. 25 year old DE that would continue to flourish under Justin Houston. He'll probably cost a pretty penny...but we need to get Leonard and Houston some help on D. 

Yannick has been tagged by the Jags.  Only way we get him now is to trade for him and we all know Jax won’t deal him to us.  

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

True. Colts have a lot of cap that’s not being used wisely. We’re still on the books for some of lucks contract this year I think. Also the deal Ballard gave Brissett looks to be bad money spent. Someone quote me if I’m wrong but that probably equals about 25mil I’m cap tied into a retired player and a QB that is a backup at best. 

I’d have to disagree with you on us not spending our cap wisely. Ballard said multiple time that he wants to save cap to sign our own players first. Only mistake Ballard has made is not getting  Al Wood’s replacement in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I’d have to disagree with you on us not spending our cap wisely. Ballard said multiple time that he wants to save cap to sign our own players first. Only mistake Ballard has made is not getting  Al Wood’s replacement in my opinion. 

Ok let me rephrase that. A portion of the cap has been misused due jacobys extension. Then add the dead cap hit of licks retirement this year is a lot for what we’re getting from the position. There’s going to be some cash spread out over the next 2-3 years on Leonard, Smith, and Nelson for sure. I hope turay keeps coming along, his name will be added to the list. 

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yannick has been tagged by the Jags.  Only way we get him now is to trade for him and we all know Jax won’t deal him to us.  

Because he would cost so much I would not also give up a high draft pick. I would rather use the money on a DT or Clowney. He is a younger sheard with a little more disruptive power. I like our DE we have and think they will develop nicely.

3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

More than.  Overthecap says we have 21.5 M invested in Brissett next year and 6.4M in Luck.

3 hours ago, Barrdaddy said:

I still think Clowney is overrated.  He's been a solid to above average player in the league thus far but he's never been elite.  But you hear people talk about him like he's an elite player.  

I think that view that he's an elite player will push the price on him too high and Ballard will drop out.  

6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I blame Irsay for being too nice I say take Lucks money from him if isnt coming back take the money. 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

More than.  Overthecap says we have 21.5 M invested in Brissett next year and 6.4M in Luck.

I still think Clowney is overrated.  He's been a solid to above average player in the league thus far but he's never been elite.  But you hear people talk about him like he's an elite player.  

I think that view that he's an elite player will push the price on him too high and Ballard will drop out.  

This ^^^^. So 27 million invested in a position, that  were hopefully going to overhaul. The contract Ballard handed Brissett still burns me. Made no sense. Ok if he turned out to be good this past year, we could’ve just tagged him. His contract plus the extra money luck is still on the hook for is a nice chunk wasted that we could use to help bolster our roster. 

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

could..potentially....have some....

Rubbish.  U notice how all the meat heads word it now?  Its lazy reporting.  They use the phrase could potentialy.  So its not even information they r receiving.  They r making their own assumptions and calling it a rumour.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Rubbish.  U notice how all the meat heads word it now?  Its lazy reporting.  They use the phrase could potentialy.  So its not even information they r receiving.  They r making their own assumptions and calling it a rumour.

Wait, are you talking sports reporting or CNN?  Oh, both. Right. Sad state of affairs in media today.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

As good as Sheard has been for the Colts, I think Clowney would be an upgrade at that position, combined with a new 3T and the continued improvement of Stewart the Colts could have a pretty devastating Dline in 2020

I agree....and one thing Clowney is, is an ELITE run stopper who can give some good pass rush too. And there are times he'll just take over too. 

53 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I agree....and one thing Clowney is, is an ELITE run stopper who can give some good pass rush too. And there are times he'll just take over too. 

Yeah, he's never had double digit sack numbers which is what most people look at, but when you look at his overall tackles, TFL and QB hits and QB pressures, he is a good overall DE.

And, much like Houston for the Colts, it took him a bit to transition to a 4-3 DE and it was slowed by injury but when he came back from injury, his percent of defensive snaps and his production went up.  And he played well in the playoffs.

52 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, he's never had double digit sack numbers which is what most people look at, but when you look at his overall tackles, TFL and QB hits and QB pressures, he is a good overall DE.

And, much like Houston for the Colts, it took him a bit to transition to a 4-3 DE and it was slowed by injury but when he came back from injury, his percent of defensive snaps and his production went up.  And he played well in the playoffs.

I love Clowney for this team. With Sheard likely leaving...the Colts DE depth chart is basically Muhammad and a trio of LDEs (Houston, Turay and Banogu). So Clowney would fill a huge void on the DL for the foreseeable future (which keeps them from having to overdraft someone like Espenesa imo).

Clowney might not have the sack numbers...but prior to last season...he had 9 and 9.5 sacks...which would be 2nd on the Colts by a good amount and double the current production they got from Sheard. For comparison, Ngakoue (who everyone seems to want) only has one season with double digit sacks.

And prior to heading to SEA, Clowney was coming off three straight Pro Bowl seasons where he averaged 8 sacks, 18 TFL, 20 QB hits and an AV of 11. Other than Leonard...the Colts have nobody on defense capable of that type of overall value.

Clowney is only heading into his age 27 season...which means the Colts would likely get at least 3 years of peak production...which helps maximize the upcoming window. And it's not very often a player of that caliber is even available in FA...so I think the Colts reported interest is more than just connecting the dots of a top FA to a team with a ton of cap space. Will they get him...probably not...but outside of Chris Jones (who will now require premium draft capital)...I think Clowney is the best FA for this team.

44 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I like Clowney, 25 million a year is a little high though. if he would take less I am in!

Yeah...$25M is a non-starter...but I could work in the $18-20M range.

That's still a hefty price tag...and I ultimately don't expect the Colts to land him...but it would be awesome if they did. 

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I love Clowney for this team. With Sheard likely leaving...the Colts DE depth chart is basically Muhammad and a trio of LDEs (Houston, Turay and Banogu). So Clowney would fill a huge void on the DL for the foreseeable future (which keeps them from having to overdraft someone like Espenesa imo).

Clowney might not have the sack numbers...but prior to last season...he had 9 and 9.5 sacks...which would be 2nd on the Colts by a good amount and double the current production they got from Sheard. For comparison, Ngakoue (who everyone seems to want) only has one season with double digit sacks.

And prior to heading to SEA, Clowney was coming off three straight Pro Bowl seasons where he averaged 8 sacks, 18 TFL, 20 QB hits and an AV of 11. Other than Leonard...the Colts have nobody on defense capable of that type of overall value.

Clowney is only heading into his age 27 season...which means the Colts would likely get at least 3 years of peak production...which helps maximize the upcoming window. And it's not very often a player of that caliber is even available in FA...so I think the Colts reported interest is more than just connecting the dots of a top FA to a team with a ton of cap space. Will they get him...probably not...but outside of Chris Jones (who will now require premium draft capital)...I think Clowney is the best FA for this team.

I appreciate that you prefer Clowney to Ngakoue.   Depending on the money,  I'd be fine with either.

But, in an attempt to write a pro-Clowney post,  you omitted key stats....

So, for example...    Ngakoue has 6.5 MORE career sacks in 4 years than Clowney does in 6 years.     That's a big discrepency.

Here are Clowney's six years:   0, 4, 6, 9.5, 9 and 3.    That's 31.5 career sacks.

Here are Ngakoue's numbers:   8, 12, 9.5 and 8.       That's 37.5 career sacks in 2 LESS years.

Ngakoue has never had a seasonal sack number that wouldn't be acceptable to any team.   Clowney has had 4 years where his number would not meet expectations. 

Honestly,   I think both will sign for a number that Ballard will not be willing to pay.   The bidding will spiral as it did last year and at some point,  Ballard will drop out.

I'm just saying I don't think the picture is quite as one sided as you might suggest.

On 3/2/2020 at 3:54 PM, boo2202 said:

This ^^^^. So 27 million invested in a position, that  were hopefully going to overhaul. The contract Ballard handed Brissett still burns me. Made no sense. Ok if he turned out to be good this past year, we could’ve just tagged him. His contract plus the extra money luck is still on the hook for is a nice chunk wasted that we could use to help bolster our roster. 

I don't know why it burns you?   The Colts were trying to do the right thing.   Brissett was suddenly made the starting quarterback.    He was making back-up money.    We believe in the kid.    Giving him a bump to a low or mid-level starting quarterback salary tells the locker-room that we believe in the kid and we're willing to put our money where our mouth is.    It's a positive message.    It's a powerful message for the locker-room.     We will reward you when the time and circumstances are right.    We re-did the Kennny Moore contract and the contract of our punter a year early as well.    This is important for the team.    Shows them we are not looking to nickle and dime our good players.

And tagging never made sense.    That number is way out of Brissett's reality.   Never going to happen.

We will be fine one way or another.    The deal is not going to stop us from doing what we have  to do.    Ballard and his staff look at money every day.    They have literally said that.   They are not going to be trapped or caught off guard.    They know what they're doing.   Despite the attempts by a handful here to try and say otherwise.    This is a highly respected staff.

Trust.   Believe.   Don't sweat the small stuff.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why it burns you?   The Colts were trying to do the right thing.   Brissett was suddenly made the starting quarterback.    He was making back-up money.    We believe in the kid.    Giving him a bump to a low or mid-level starting quarterback salary tells the locker-room that we believe in the kid and we're willing to put our money where our mouth is.    It's a positive message.    It's a powerful message for the locker-room.     We will reward you when the time and circumstances are right.    We re-did the Kennny Moore contract and the contract of our punter a year early as well.    This is important for the team.    Shows them we are not looking to nickle and dime our good players.

And tagging never made sense.    That number is way out of Brissett's reality.   Never going to happen.

We will be fine one way or another.    The deal is not going to stop us from doing what we have  to do.    Ballard and his staff look at money every day.    They have literally said that.   They are not going to be trapped or caught off guard.    They know what they're doing.   Despite the attempts by a handful here to try and say otherwise.    This is a highly respected staff.

Trust.   Believe.   Don't sweat the small stuff.

I understand at the time, it was the right thing to do. Just looks like wasted money now tho. Water under the bridge I guess. 

Archived