Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The four groups heading into colts FA/Draft

boo2202

Reading this board the past month, we colts fans can be put into four offseason groups.

Group 1 (we believe in JB/Kelly)

The we’re ok with JB and Kelly battling it out in camp for the starting QB spot. This group wants too go with what we have at QB and use draft and FA too add talent elsewhere. They rather see JB getting better or Kelly as the answer.

Group 2 ( this roster is ready we need a vet QB)

This group sees the colts are ready to win now. They think signing rivers or trading for a vet will put the colts back in the playoff mix. Majority of this group also wants to use a mid round pick on a QB to develop.  

Group 3 ( The swing for the fences with, whatever it takes to get love, tua, Herbert)

This group is willing to go all in for one of the 2020 draft QB’s. They see one of these QB’s as the next future of the colts and are willing to trade what is needed to move up and get Ballard’s guy. This group is ok with letting this QB play now or use JB as a 1 year bridge. 

Group 4 ( We don’t need to waste draft picks to trade up when we can get hurts, Eason, Gordon etc later in the draft)

This group sees a need to address the QB position but just doesn’t want to pay the price for a top QB. They think that one of the mid tier QBs could develop into our future. This group wants to use top pick on Dline or WR and use a mid pick on a QB. This group tends too think that’s all we need to add. They want JB/Kelly/pick. They’re against bringing in a vet.

Theres going to be three upset groups in the next two months.

Which group are you and plead your case. This will be fun too revisit in the coming weeks. 

The different choices would be reflective of different approaches.  It simply means do you want to try to win Sb by having a team that wins shootouts, or a more time consuming possession offense.  The former tends to take more talent, so that incremental level of talent is taken away from the defense.

I think we've tried that recipe for 20 years, and while it was fun and also competitive, it did only yield two SB appearences and 1 victory.......the victory coming during a playoff run where we actually threw less, ran more, and stopped the run better than usual.

I don't know if that means Hurts, or Eason, or Fromm, or Gordon; or any of them, but I think it means you don't revolve your capital spend around the QB position excessively.  That's kind of what we had to do with PM and AL, and the pieces needed to keep them successful.

I think we hired a coach who can do more with less talent on offense, as well as tried to hire McDaniels, who I think fits that description too.

11 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Reading this board the past month, we colts fans can be put into four offseason groups.

The we’re ok with JB and Kelly battling it out in camp for the starting QB spot. This group wants too go with what we have at QB and use draft and FA too add talent elsewhere. They rather see JB getting better or Kelly as the answer.

This group sees the colts are ready to win now. They think signing rivers or trading for a vet will put the colts back in the playoff mix. Majority of this group also wants to use a mid round pick on a QB to develop.  

Group 3 ( The swing for the fences with, whatever it takes to get love, tua, Herbert)

This group is willing to go all in for one of the 2020 draft QB’s. They see one of these QB’s as the next future of the colts and are willing to trade what is needed to move up and get Ballard’s guy. This group is ok with letting this QB play now or use JB as a 1 year bridge. 

Group 4 ( We don’t need to waste draft picks to trade up when we can get hurts, Eason, Gordon etc later in the draft)

This group sees a need to address the QB position but just doesn’t want to pay the price for a top QB. They think that one of the mid tier QBs could develop into our future. This group wants to use top pick on Dline or WR and use a mid pick on a QB. This group tends too think that’s all we need to add. They want JB/Kelly/pick. They’re against bringing in a vet.

Which group are you and plead your case. This will be fun too revisit in the coming weeks. 

Groups 1 and 4 are pretty small based on the poles. 

Groups 2 and 3 are often the same (they'll take either/or), and some want both at the same time (bridge/mentor + draft)

Personally, I'd be OK with:

G1, if it was truly open (meaning there are no more reservations about maturity with CK)

G2, so long as it's Carr (medium terms), or someone like Rivers or Brady as a short term bridge in addition to a high ceiling guy in the draft. No game managers...

G3. I'd be happy with Tua, Love, or Herbert. 

G4. I might be OK Gordon or Eason with a bridge/mentor like Rivers or Brady.

So in short, I could fit into all groups depending on the specifics.

My preference in order would be... 

1. Bridge/mentor (Rivers/Brady) + Draft (Love/Tua/Herbert)

2. Carr (medium term)

3. Drafted rook (Love/Herbert) starts immediately.

4. Bridge/mentor (Rivers/Brady) + Kelly

5. Bridge/mentor (Rivers/Brady) + Gordon

6. CK vs JB open competition.... 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The different choices would be reflective of different approaches.  It simply means do you want to try to win Sb by having a team that wins shootouts, or a more time consuming possession offense. 

a lot of recent super bowls have been shoot outs though, maybe thats what its going to take.  

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

a lot of recent super bowls have been shoot outs though, maybe thats what its going to take.  

Yeah, but Foles isn't really a shoot out QB, and Philly didn't even have a Ravenesque dominating defense.

I don't know if trying to keep up with Mahomes is going to work.  You're kinda reduced to playing the game on his field.  And there's only one of him....we're not going to find another, IMO.

If TN would have had more of a passer than Tannehill, not so intimidated when he had to convert a passing play, the AFCCG would have been closer, IMO.

One common thread between Philly and KC, they had a dominating DT.  Fletcher Cox and Chris Jones.

I'm certainly not Group 1.

As for Group 2, I'm fine with signing Rivers as a short term bridge and drafting a

QB as the heir apparent, But not a mid-round guy. The odds of getting a long term,

high quality starter in the 3rd rd or after are extremely small.

Re Group 4, I'm not there either. If Ballard and staff are convinced that a kid is the answer (by answer, I mean eventual top-6ish or better guy in the

league) at QB, I'm fine with trading up in the 1st for him.  

So, I guess that leaves me in Group 3. 

54 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Definitely not group 1. Kelly doesn't get treated fairly and Brissett isn't the answer. In fact, I'd trade or release Brissett before starting him this year.

I'm in favor of signing Rivers with our current cap space for a year. However, I don't want a mid-round QB unless it's Anthony Gordon. 

Group 3 is where I'm at. I'm very bullish on Love and would even trade up to get him. If he sat a year behind Rivers, that'd be fine. Never want to go through last year again.

I'm in group 4 a bit because I value draft capital, but there's only 3 QB's I love in this class. Burrow, Love, and Gordon. Tua has injury concerns I can't get past. Herbert seems like an absolute bust. Eason's attitude really deterred me. Fromm is a bust as well. If I can get one of my 3 QB's without trading up, I'm all for it.

So group 1 is by far the worst, and I'm probably a mixture of the other 3.

I'm in group 3 with a hint of group 2 in the mix. 

I think this team is closer than most fans seem to think so I think an upgrade at QB will get us close to the playoffs. But at the same time I don't want us to get a vet QB(Rivers?) without drafting our future at the position... This to me is the key. ASAP we need to get a young QB we believe in who Frank and the staff will develop and the earlier we get him in the building the earlier he will be ready to play and win games for us. I do NOT want it to be a mid-rounder though. Treat it with the seriousness the situation requires - as a search for a FRANCHISE QB... not wild shot that is most likely to miss(this is what happens with overwhelming majority of mid-late round QBs). 

As long as we get a highly talented QB to develop, I will be OK with any starting QB situation for next year, though. I.e. I won't be mad if we go with JB as the starter next year, I won't be mad if we go with another vet as the starter either. 

My preferences are:

---tier 1

1. bridge vet (Rivers) + one of Tua/Herbert/Love (G3+G2)

2. Jacoby + one of Tua/Herbert/Love(G3+G1)

--- tier 2

3. bridge vet(Rivers) + mid-late round QB

4. Jacoby + mid-late round QB

5. Bridge vet only

6. Jacoby only

---tier 3 - fire Ballard tier

7. Ballard gives extension to Jacoby making him our franchise QB for the foreseeable future. 

I agree with WarGhost. I am not impressed by any of the QBs in this draft, and would not want to mortgage the future for any of them, by trading picks to move up. As far as a bridge vet, I can't see any of them taking us to the superbowl in the next couple of years, so why pay them to get us picking in the twenties?

I'm definitely group #1. IMO this isn't the year for a QB. Let the rest of these teams battle for these QBs this year.

Surround JB and Kelly with more skill talent and let 'er rip. In this scenario I'm banking on JB still being JB, so Kelly finally gets his due. Kelly to me has all the intangibles to be a franchise guy, including playmaking ability when plays break down. If he and JB both fail, grab a QB next year, when the QB demand won't be so high. 

The only other group I would fall into would be the same version mindset of number 1, except with a tweak by adding a vet to bridge Kelly. In this scenario the Colts really do believe in Kelly but think he isn't quite ready just yet and gives at least another year of growth/mentoring from a guy like Rivers while still adding skill talent via the FA and draft.

That's where I stand.

I guess I'm in a fifth group. win now and win later.

I like Jacoby, but even before he hurt his knee, he just couldn't seem to push the ball downfield, and that really limited the offense.

sign a guy like Rivers because we have talent now that could challenge in the playoffs.

AND i'm just fine with packaging a couple of picks to move up if you can get a long-term QB that you really like.

its never going to be an ideal time to pick a qb unless we are in the top 3 or so.   i know teams find qbs all over the draft but they all had risks too, like love does now.  whatever qbs we are looking at next year will be similar to love

im in group 3, go up and get them 

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its never going to be an ideal time to pick a qb unless we are in the top 3 or so.   i know teams find qbs all over the draft but they all had risks too, like love does now.  whatever qbs we are looking at next year will be similar to love

im in group 3, go up and get them 

Yea I’m group 3 also. My thinking is about the same as yours. At some point your going to have to sacrifice a few picks to get the QB you want. Why not this year. Some are saying this is a weak QB group but some are starting to look better and better. 

I'm group 1, but I do not see Kelly becoming the guy, but I do feel that Frank and Chris are open to him becoming the guy. I think that D-line, OT and WR offer far more value in this draft early than the QB's that likely will be available with the first 2 picks. I like Carr as the best acquisition if he was available, but he would require big time money, and once paid, that would be the road the Colts are going down. Not so sure about that.

Dalton would be my "bridge", if I was to chose that path. 

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

And smack in the middle of those was SB53 2 years ago which everyone thought was going to be a shootout and turned into a massive defensive grind fest, with Brady showing his age but Belichick keeping Goff from ever getting off the ground.  

As for me, no surprise, group 1 here.  I legitimately believe Brissett is better than his end of year numbers suggest he was and think he's earned the right to fight for his job next year.

2/3

Fine line between forcing the issue with drafting a QB and needing to be willing to go get the guy if it's possible. Getting the projection on these guys right is the best that can be done right now. I'm just skeptical that 4 or 5 QB's going in the first round doesn't leave most of the teams burned later. 

I don't know what group this puts me in..... but if our future starter is not on the roster TODAY.... then flush them all! 

- Sign Rivers for 1-2 years.... for his familiarity with Reich and Sirianni, and in the hope that behind an excellent O-line, he can represent a solid upgrade as a "bridge" QB.

- Draft Gordon in the 3rd round and name him Rivers' backup.

- Cut Hoyer, Brissett AND Kelly

Personally I hope we can sign Bridgewater and then go with BPA in the draft. 

Out of all the free agent QBs that have been linked to the Colts Bridgewater is the one I prefer. I know he is expensive but any top notch QB is going to be expensive. You get what you pay for. 

4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

And smack in the middle of those was SB53 2 years ago which everyone thought was going to be a shootout and turned into a massive defensive grind fest, with Brady showing his age but Belichick keeping Goff from ever getting off the ground.  

i think mahomes is going to change things.  the ravens are dangerous too, they are coming off the most rushing yards ever and they had a lot of passing tds.  

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game.  the teams high on the list are generally the ones that did well too.  3 of the top 4 made the final 4 

Upgrading QB will not solve all this team's issues so save the pick and stick with Biscuit/Kelly.  Team needs to take a hard look at upgrading our receivers, secondary and pass rushing effectiveness.  Use picks to upgrade those areas.  And, dump that ridiculous ineffective "zone defense".

I just hope the Colts can't get Love. Don't trade up to get him. The way the NFL fell in love with him at the combine reminded me of two names: Jeff George, and JaMarcus Russell.  The Colts traded their All Pro Tackle Chris Hinton, WR Andre Dixon, and draft picks to to move up and take Jeff George.  Didn't exactly win championships for Indy...

1 hour ago, P'Son said:

Upgrading QB will not solve all this team's issues so save the pick and stick with Biscuit/Kelly.  Team needs to take a hard look at upgrading our receivers, secondary and pass rushing effectiveness.  Use picks to upgrade those areas.  And, dump that ridiculous ineffective "zone defense".

I actually don't believe this.  Upgrading QB WILL solve SOME of the team's issues.  No one move should be expected to solve "all" of a team's issues at any given time.

This is, of course, assuming that any move that is made represents a genuine upgrade.  Making a move for the sake of making a move may or may not accomplish anything positive.

That said, I'm in the minority that believes that despite the second half setback Brissett showed some promise, so I agree with your conclusion, just not your reasons for reaching it,

9 hours ago, boo2202 said:

If a QB they like is available then they should draft him.  Besides Burrow and Tua I’m not sold on anyone else.  Go BPA and strengthen the team.  Can always trade up a following year when they find the guy they want.  For now don’t overpay and roll with what we have. Brissett is virtually a 3rd year QB and doesn’t make dumb mistakes.  He went .500 his second year as a starter which is typically pretty good.  He probably isnt the franchise guy but can be who we roll out until Ballard is ready to pull the trigger.  No need to draft a QB until he is ready to stake his career to that kid.  

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Groups 1 and 4 are pretty small based on the poles. 

Groups 2 and 3 are often the same (they'll take either/or), and some want both at the same time (bridge/mentor + draft)

Personally, I'd be OK with:

G1, if it was truly open (meaning there are no more reservations about maturity with CK)

G2, so long as it's Carr (medium terms), or someone like Rivers or Brady as a short term bridge in addition to a high ceiling guy in the draft. No game managers...

G3. I'd be happy with Tua, Love, or Herbert. 

G4. I might be OK Gordon or Eason with a bridge/mentor like Rivers or Brady.

So in short, I could fit into all groups depending on the specifics.

My preference in order would be... 

1. Bridge/mentor (Rivers/Brady) + Draft (Love/Tua/Herbert)

2. Carr (medium term)

3. Drafted rook (Love/Herbert) starts immediately.

4. Bridge/mentor (Rivers/Brady) + Kelly

5. Bridge/mentor (Rivers/Brady) + Gordon

6. CK vs JB open competition.... 

I agree completely with this. I think I would probably pick Herbert if we had the option of the 3 guys in the draft but would be happy with either of them and Carr would be my favorite medium term option as well.

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Definitely not group 1. Kelly doesn't get treated fairly and Brissett isn't the answer. In fact, I'd trade or release Brissett before starting him this year.

I'm in favor of signing Rivers with our current cap space for a year. However, I don't want a mid-round QB unless it's Anthony Gordon. 

Group 3 is where I'm at. I'm very bullish on Love and would even trade up to get him. If he sat a year behind Rivers, that'd be fine. Never want to go through last year again.

I'm in group 4 a bit because I value draft capital, but there's only 3 QB's I love in this class. Burrow, Love, and Gordon. Tua has injury concerns I can't get past. Herbert seems like an absolute bust. Eason's attitude really deterred me. Fromm is a bust as well. If I can get one of my 3 QB's without trading up, I'm all for it.

So group 1 is by far the worst, and I'm probably a mixture of the other 3.

Curious what gives you this impression. Seems like a guy who has a big arm, athletic ability and a decent track record.

22 minutes ago, ScotColt said:

Curious what gives you this impression. Seems like a guy who has a big arm, athletic ability and a decent track record.

Herbert was bad against elite teams he faced in college besides Stanford. I have doubts he can handle NFL competition. He also guides the ball when throwing it, which makes me believe he'll have accuracy issues and a difficult time fitting in tight throws. His combine was impressive, but I just see him as an athletic guy who won't succeed at the NFL level.

If we took Herbert or traded up for him, I'd be very upset.

34 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Herbert was bad against elite teams he faced in college besides Stanford. I have doubts he can handle NFL competition. He also guides the ball when throwing it, which makes me believe he'll have accuracy issues and a difficult time fitting in tight throws. His combine was impressive, but I just see him as an athletic guy who won't succeed at the NFL level.

If we took Herbert or traded up for him, I'd be very upset.

Herbert  can be coached  up. I can see most of the qbs working  out

6 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

I don't know what group this puts me in..... but if our future starter is not on the roster TODAY.... then flush them all! 

- Sign Rivers for 1-2 years.... for his familiarity with Reich and Sirianni, and in the hope that behind an excellent O-line, he can represent a solid upgrade as a "bridge" QB.

- Draft Gordon in the 3rd round and name him Rivers' backup.

- Cut Hoyer, Brissett AND Kelly

Who is better  Gordon  or hurts

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Who is better  Gordon  or hurts

I can see either of them as an option for Reich's offense.... but we'd probably have to grab Hurts in Round 2....he's a legit dual-threat type.

IMO....our first 3 selections, assuming 4 QBs do go in the Top 10....should be spent strictly on BPAs at DT/WR/OT or CB.

Gordon SHOULD be there at #75...and if he is we should draft him. 

11 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I can see either of them as an option for Reich's offense.... but we'd probably have to grab Hurts in Round 2....he's a legit dual-threat type.

IMO....our first 3 selections, assuming 4 QBs do go in the Top 10....should be spent strictly on BPAs at DT/WR/OT or CB.

Gordon SHOULD be there at #75...and if he is we should draft him. 

What's  the earliest you could see hurts going.  Also if eason and gordon are there which would you pick

58 minutes ago, Stephen said:

What's  the earliest you could see hurts going.  Also if eason and gordon are there which would you pick

I know you didn't ask me, but the earliest I see Hurts going is 23 to the Pats. I would take Gordon with pick 44 over him personally.

8 hours ago, ScotColt said:

I agree completely with this. I think I would probably pick Herbert if we had the option of the 3 guys in the draft but would be happy with either of them and Carr would be my favorite medium term option as well.

I like Herbert, but I think Love has more upside. I keep changing my mind on Tua lol. If he didn't have the injury history, I'd prefer him. Any would be fine though. 

I didn't see my thoughts in a group.  But IMO, you stick to your board and the inside information you get.  meaning if they have a guy at who is at the very top of their board and it's not close and they hear from an agent or someone else that someone in front is going to draft him, then you try to work out a deal to trade up.  But if there are 2 or 3 people close at the top, you let the cards fall and pick the guy at the top of your board.

The Colts need a QB, no doubt but there are no generational QBs in this draft.  Tua has majr injury concerns, Herbert struggles in big moments (ofcourse that was knock on Peyton as well and it stuck with him until he won his 1st playoff game), Love (personally I think the praise of Love is more of an emperor's new clothes situation than anything else).  Eason is Jeff George 2.0 IMO a perfect Qb from a physical standpoint but is a few fries short of a happy meal, Fromm is the perfect QB except his arm is not very strong and so far he hasn't compensated with proper footwork), Gordon, as I have said long before it was cool to talk about Gordon, is the best pure passer in the draft and IMO will develop into a quality starter but he is a good year from really being able to compete for a starting job, he ha a lot to learn.

So, if Herbert is there at 13 you draft him (possible even move up a few spots to get him) if not, go DT and draft Fromm in the 2nd or Gordon in 3rd or 4th.

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I didn't see my thoughts in a group.  But IMO, you stick to your board and the inside information you get.  meaning if they have a guy at who is at the very top of their board and it's not close and they hear from an agent or someone else that someone in front is going to draft him, then you try to work out a deal to trade up.  But if there are 2 or 3 people close at the top, you let the cards fall and pick the guy at the top of your board.

The Colts need a QB, no doubt but there are no generational QBs in this draft.  Tua has majr injury concerns, Herbert struggles in big moments (ofcourse that was knock on Peyton as well and it stuck with him until he won his 1st playoff game), Love (personally I think the praise of Love is more of an emperor's new clothes situation than anything else).  Eason is Jeff George 2.0 IMO a perfect Qb from a physical standpoint but is a few fries short of a happy meal, Fromm is the perfect QB except his arm is not very strong and so far he hasn't compensated with proper footwork), Gordon, as I have said long before it was cool to talk about Gordon, is the best pure passer in the draft and IMO will develop into a quality starter but he is a good year from really being able to compete for a starting job, he ha a lot to learn.

So, if Herbert is there at 13 you draft him (possible even move up a few spots to get him) if not, go DT and draft Fromm in the 2nd or Gordon in 3rd or 4th.

sounds like group 4 to me, except for what you said about herbert

dont think there are many scenarios where he falls to 13, least risky qb on the board besides burrow.  seems like an obvious choice for the chargers if he even lasts that long

43 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

sounds like group 4 to me, except for what you said about herbert

dont think there are many scenarios where he falls to 13, least risky qb on the board besides burrow.  seems like an obvious choice for the chargers if he even lasts that long

Yeah, I don't think he will drop either.  But you never know.

Archived