Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wirfs! Wow! Woof!!

It's official....    Wirfs made himself some serious bank today.    Set or tied several offensive lineman records today....

Great measurements...   height, weight, arms,  hands....    and then he tested!

4.85 forty.   Combine record for O-lineman.    36.5 vertical.    Combine record for O-lineman.    And 10' 1" which ties the O-lineman record.

He's going to move up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001104260/article/iowas-tristan-wirfs-posts-recordbreaking-nfl-combine-workout

That said....    despite having been on a team with Kirk Ferentz as the HC,  Wirfs is in serious need of more good coaching.    He's got some issues that are on tape.   Plus,  despite having elite left tackle skill set,  almost all of his college experience is at....    right tackle.    Why hasn't he been playing more at left tackle.   He's a diamond that needs much more polishing from some really good coaching.      

Do I think he's now going to get serious consideration from our coaching staff?    Yes.   We value athletic O-lineman.  Wirfs has it all big time.

Do I think we pick him?    I'd guess no....  

I'm beginning to think we stand a 50-50 chance of trading back at least a little so we can pick up more draft capital.   It's just so hard to see Ballard wanting to trade up for just about any position or player.    I wouldn't rule it out, but it's hard to see happening.

Hopefully,  Free Agency gives us clues...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Wirfs and think he's the second best tackle to Thomas, but minor nitpick, 4.85 isn't the record; Armstead had a stupidly fast 4.71 a few years ago. Wirfs combine has been impressive though. I think it's a very strong tackle class at the top; Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, and Jones, don't like Becton but people seem to be high on him, so I'm hoping there's a run of them and it helps us get our QB. 

25 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I like Wirfs and think he's the second best tackle to Thomas, but minor nitpick, 4.85 isn't the record; Armstead had a stupidly fast 4.71 a few years ago. Wirfs combine has been impressive though. I think it's a very strong tackle class at the top; Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, and Jones, don't like Becton but people seem to be high on him, so I'm hoping there's a run of them and it helps us get our QB. 

Armstead is a defensive lineman.

The records set or tied were by offensive linemen. 

I can easily see a run of OLine in the top 11. Giants, Cardinals, Browns, Jets would be the big names that need help protecting their young QBs. Then there’s the Chargers who if they pick up a veteran QB will be in the market for drafting a lineman. 

It could go:

1. Burrow

2. Young

3.Okudah

4. Wills

5. Tua

6. Herbert

7.Brown

8. Wirfs

9. Simmons

10. Becton

11. Andrew Thomas

12. Jeudy

of course you might see the Cardinals take Kinlaw but then I’d bet Becton or Wirfs would replace Thomas to the Jets

Well, we do know that Wirfs will never make it to #13 after tilting the combine machine.  That being said, there were several stellar OT performances and some of them can be had in the 2nd round.  Ditto WRs.  This plays right into Ballard's hands, as there won't be a sense of urgency to get Jeudy or Lamb in the 1st round.  Take what the defense gives you.  

If somehow Wirfs did slip that far it would be hard to say no to a 10-year starter at an increasingly important position.  Ballard would have to feel like he got away with one if it went down that way.  I feel like this year will be reminiscent of 2017, when Malik Hooker slipped all the way to Indy at #15 due to injury concerns.  Thoughts?