Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
BProland85

Mechi Becton a possibility at 13?

Recommended Posts

With OL and DL being big on Ballard's board, could he surprise us all by taking a beast of a OT in Becton at LT? I bet Ballard would be salivating to possibly get a mauling LT for the future post Anthony Castonzo. 

 

I'm thinking he won't go QB due to Love rising, and I don't see Ballard trading up for any QB outside of possibly Tu'a or obviously Burrow. And I don't think he's sold on Herbert as of yet. 

 

So that tells me our 1st rounder will be either DT, OT, or WR.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard is not going OT at 13 with AC coming back. That seems like a waste of a pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think he will last that long there’s a several teams that need LT help In the top 10 not even mention the Jets

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think we  take a ot at 13 to sit a year. Maybe a second round pick to develop for a year. That would mean your passing up a QB, DT that can have immediate impact, or a stud WR. That doesn’t make sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think we  take a ot at 13 to sit a year. Maybe a second round pick to develop for a year. That would mean your passing up a QB, DT that can have immediate impact, or a stud WR. That doesn’t make sense.

A QB wouldn’t have immediate impact. He would sit a year also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard is not going OT at 13 with AC coming back. That seems like a waste of a pick. 

Well...not so fast...

 

Look at it this way.....if Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love are all gone... as well as WRs Jeudy and Lamb.... and Young, Brown, Okudah, Kinlaw and Simmons are gone.... all of this VERY plausible, then who do we take?

 

Don't get me wrong.... I'm happy that AC decided to come back.... but it's a year-to-year proposition at this point. We could do a whole lot worse than getting his replacement in-house BEFORE he retires.

 

In the absence of a trade down opportunity....this would be a classic BPA selection.

 

We might not "need" Becton right now.... but I'd hardly characterize it as a wasted pick.  

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

A QB wouldn’t have immediate impact. He would sit a year also.

A QB is the exception to every rule.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A QB is the exception to every rule.  

Right but that wasn’t my point. She acted like QB would play immediately and he wouldn’t. What’s his immediate impact if he’s not playing and JB is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

With OL and DL being big on Ballard's board, could he surprise us all by taking a beast of a OT in Becton at LT? I bet Ballard would be salivating to possibly get a mauling LT for the future post Anthony Castonzo. 

 

I'm thinking he won't go QB due to Love rising, and I don't see Ballard trading up for any QB outside of possibly Tu'a or obviously Burrow. And I don't think he's sold on Herbert as of yet. 

 

So that tells me our 1st rounder will be either DT, OT, or WR.

Hate to burst your bubble and there is a better chance of Love being at 13 than Becton. Oh......and Love is rising based on what source?!?!??  I haven't heard one exec or notable coach state thay he is rising.  He throws a nice deep 40 yard pass and all the Bucky Brooks, McShays and Jeremiahs of the world say he is shooting up boards.  Ever ask yourself the yourself the question why aren't Jeremiah or Brooks in front offices if they r so insightful,??? 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hate to burst your bubble and there is a better chance of Love being at 13 than Becton. Oh......and Love is rising based on what source?!?!??  I haven't heard one exec or notable coach state thay he is rising.  He throws a nice deep 40 yard pass and all the Bucky Brooks, McShays and Jeremiahs of the world say he is shooting up boards.  Ever ask yourself the yourself the question why aren't Jeremiah or Brooks in front offices if they r so insightful,??? 

Moose....to be fair.... Jeremiah worked as a college scout for 3 different NFL teams, including a stint under Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, who was as solid a GM on draft day as they come.

 

Your right about some of these other analysts.... but Jeremiah has credentials.

 

And yes....Becton could be gone by the #13 spot.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Wouldn't be shocked, but would be surprised. Bigger immediate needs. 

What if AC isn’t coming back, would you take this tackle at 13 then? Let’s assume our qb’s and DT’s are all gone and this man is on the board with no AC? What if AC knows he isn’t coming back but to help the colts cover up a need and expose draft plans, he goes along with the press bit that says he is coming back and is in contract negotiations. Never know, CB always keeping everyone guessing. Conspiracy man lol. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of getting one of the OT’s at 13.  Start him at right tackle, move Smith to his natural position at right guard.  That’s a pretty good offensive line and you’ll have AC’s replacement already primed and ready in a couple years if not sooner.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Well...not so fast...

 

Look at it this way.....if Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love are all gone... as well as WRs Jeudy and Lamb.... and Young, Brown, Okudah, Kinlaw and Simmons are gone.... all of this VERY plausible, then who do we take?

 

Don't get me wrong.... I'm happy that AC decided to come back.... but it's a year-to-year proposition at this point. We could do a whole lot worse than getting his replacement in-house BEFORE he retires.

 

In the absence of a trade down opportunity....this would be a classic BPA selection.

 

We might not "need" Becton right now.... but I'd hardly characterize it as a wasted pick.  

 

In that situation I would prefer trading down and get a 1st in next years draft, at least it would give us ammo to pursue Lawrence or Fields IF we wanted to

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Right but that wasn’t my point. She acted like QB would play immediately and he wouldn’t. What’s his immediate impact if he’s not playing and JB is? 

It’s different with a QB. A elite player will be there at 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

What if AC isn’t coming back, would you take this tackle at 13 then? Let’s assume our qb’s and DT’s are all gone and this man is on the board with no AC? What if AC knows he isn’t coming back but to help the colts cover up a need and expose draft plans, he goes along with the press bit that says he is coming back and is in contract negotiations. Never know, CB always keeping everyone guessing. Conspiracy man lol. 

 

Thats quite the big IF of IF the draft goes this way and IF AC isn't actually coming back even though they said he was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hate to burst your bubble and there is a better chance of Love being at 13 than Becton. Oh......and Love is rising based on what source?!?!??  I haven't heard one exec or notable coach state thay he is rising.  He throws a nice deep 40 yard pass and all the Bucky Brooks, McShays and Jeremiahs of the world say he is shooting up boards.  Ever ask yourself the yourself the question why aren't Jeremiah or Brooks in front offices if they r so insightful,??? 

When they say shooting up they mean into a top 15 pick. He wasn’t considered a first round guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we sign a QB in FA or trade for Carr or some other QB than yes it's a possibility.  Not just Becton but any of the top rated tackles.  It might depend on the length of AC's contract.  I think everyone is expecting a one year deal but if it's longer that might change things as to where to take a tackle in the draft.  I wouldn't think it would take long to get a one year deal done so we shall see.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When they say shooting up they mean into a top 15 pick. He wasn’t considered a first round guy.

Says who??  Who says he wasnt a 1st round pick.  Do u really think he was a 2nd round pick before the combine and then throws a couple of balls and shorts and is now a top 15 pick???  For all we know,

Love may have been rated as a top 5 pick by most teams. I dont have a clue. I just hate  it when the talking heads said a player shoots up based on the combine. Most execs say it is the medical and interviews that matter.  The testing is just eye candy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Says who??  Who says he wasnt a 1st round pick.  Do u really think he was a 2nd round pick before the combine and then throws a couple of balls and shorts and is now a top 15 pick???  For all we know,

Love may have been rated as a top 5 pick by most teams. I dont have a clue. I just hate  it when the talking heads said a player shoots up based on the combine. Most execs say it is the medical and interviews that matter.  The testing is just eye candy.  

Before the college season ended he was projected second round of maybe late first. Teams have now been able to meet him and see his practice habits at the senior bowl. Yes the interviews are what matters the most. They weren’t talking his throwing at the combine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Becton will be long gone by 13.

If he continues to do well I'm thinking he goes to NYG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

What if AC isn’t coming back, would you take this tackle at 13 then? Let’s assume our qb’s and DT’s are all gone and this man is on the board with no AC? What if AC knows he isn’t coming back but to help the colts cover up a need and expose draft plans, he goes along with the press bit that says he is coming back and is in contract negotiations. Never know, CB always keeping everyone guessing. Conspiracy man lol. 

That's a lot of what ifs. And Ballard/AC wouldn't float that lol... 

 

The facts as we know it... AC played great and is coming back, so it's a need, but not immediate. QB play wasn't good, and is immediate. We don't have a good 3T and the need is immediate. 

 

Personally, I'd love to address DT in FA and take an OT in the second. OT is in my top 3 needs, just not a tier 1 need like QB and DT. It's a tier 2 along with WR, but in front of WR.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Right but that wasn’t my point. She acted like QB would play immediately and he wouldn’t. What’s his immediate impact if he’s not playing and JB is? 

I understand your point.  You don’t have to convince me.   But taking a QB and having him sit for a year is simply the cost of doing business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hate to burst your bubble and there is a better chance of Love being at 13 than Becton. Oh......and Love is rising based on what source?!?!??  I haven't heard one exec or notable coach state thay he is rising.  He throws a nice deep 40 yard pass and all the Bucky Brooks, McShays and Jeremiahs of the world say he is shooting up boards.  Ever ask yourself the yourself the question why aren't Jeremiah or Brooks in front offices if they r so insightful,??? 

Jeremiah and Brooks have both been NFL scouts.

 

They dint do it anymore by choice.   They make far more money doing their job from the comfort of their own home snd office in So. Cal.

 

No more endless road trips.  No more trips to small out of the way colleges.  No more fears that if the team you work for has a bad season you’ll get fired because the new GM cleans house and brings on his guys.  No more yanking your kids out of schools as you move again.

 

They're living a good life, as close to normal as they could ever hope for. 
 

Have you noticed that there are no whispers or claims that either shouldn’t have their job because they weren’t good NFL scouts.    These are good guys.  Pros.  They’re not perfect.  Nobody in the scouting business is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In another thread,  I said of Bechton that he's way, WAY too big for my comfort level.   He's been listed at 369 all season long.    My preference is 325 or less.

 

But I have to give the kid a shout-out.   Not only did he test exceptionally well for a big man of any size,  but especially his size,   but he also did so at....   359 pounds.   Seems the kid showed up 10 pounds lighter for the combine.    You gotta give credit where it is due.   He's still too big for my comfort level.    If he's this big now,  how big will he be in 5 years,  8 years,  10 years?    That scares me off.

 

But mad props to him for taking this seriously and showing up trying to be the best he can be.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

Becton is going to be the biggest bust of the draft if he goes top 15

Because.....  why? 
 

Not saying you’re wrong...  just curious is to your reasons...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One reason is, as you said, he’s too big. There aren’t very many guys who are that big who have panned out; only Ogden and McKinney come to mind. Then the frequency he gets beat while playing a very limited number of true pass blocking sets really scares me. Oline is notoriously hard to project from college to the pros with how college play so much run and shoot, uptempo offense. 
 

I think he’ll be overdrafted like Greg Robinson just based on measurables. Not that he’ll go second overall like Robinson, but wherever he goes it just has all the makings of a bust. Thomas is so much better of a tackle prospect it’s not even funny but people are putting Becton ahead of him based entirely on size. Thomas has been starting for four years and has improved every year to the point of being elite, and has done it in an NFL style offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok...   upon further reading I niw see that Bechton originally weighed in at 357.

 

And then today, before he worked out he tipped the scales at 364.  Up 7 pounds.

 

Seems this is the first year where you will be weighed TWICE at the combine.  Once when you arrive and then two days later on the day you’re tested.  
 

First I’ve heard of this.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zoltan said:

 

In that situation I would prefer trading down and get a 1st in next years draft, at least it would give us ammo to pursue Lawrence or Fields IF we wanted to

you mean Colts fans likes sunshine (Lawrence) and or Fields? Great prospects which I love as players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could keep the oline solid for years if we draft Wirfs and play him at RT until AC retires, which might be as early as next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

you mean Colts fans likes sunshine (Lawrence) and or Fields? Great prospects which I love as players.

Sure, every body does, including 31 other GMs.  Two of which are surely going to be in better position than us to draft them.

 

We'll have no shot. JMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I don’t think he will last that long there’s a several teams that need LT help In the top 10 not even mention the Jets

I am hoping that alot between teams needing Oline and Tua's medical history, that Tua drops to us. That would make Braden our blindside protector and i think he is gonna be a great player for a long time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok...   upon further reading I niw see that Bechton originally weighed in at 357.

 

And then today, before he worked out he tipped the scales at 364.  Up 7 pounds.

 

Seems this is the first year where you will be weighed TWICE at the combine.  Once when you arrive and then two days later on the day you’re tested.  
 

First I’ve heard of this.... 

I believe he went down 7 lbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I am hoping that alot between teams needing Oline and Tua's medical history, that Tua drops to us. That would make Braden our blindside protector and i think he is gonna be a great player for a long time

I'm not comfortable with us taking Tua at #13.... his medical is just too shaky for me.

 

Same goes for Kinlaw if this knee tendinitis is deemed a chronic issue.

 

Without these issues I'd be delighted with either of them.... but we can't screw around with that #13 pick, and however the Top 12 plays out.... that selection needs to be a guy who, above everything else, is healthy and without any medical red flags. JMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hate to burst your bubble and there is a better chance of Love being at 13 than Becton. Oh......and Love is rising based on what source?!?!??  I haven't heard one exec or notable coach state thay he is rising.  He throws a nice deep 40 yard pass and all the Bucky Brooks, McShays and Jeremiahs of the world say he is shooting up boards.  Ever ask yourself the yourself the question why aren't Jeremiah or Brooks in front offices if they r so insightful,??? 

I'm too lazy to look up Mariota's combine numbers as they relate to athleticism and the evaluation of his arm talent, but I tend to remember that both were very good.  And Mariota tends to have that unstocky somewhat unthick build and can run fast more than scramble.

 

I'm wondering if the proper comparison for Love at this point in the predraft process would be Mariota?

 

We'd have to consider that Mariota ran more and that Love threw more in their respective offenses, but as far as the description of traits and body type, they seem to be the most comparable, and Mariota was drafted quite high, IIRC. 

 

Maybe a team will take the same route and draft Love high and that would cause an OT to fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Becton is the best guy on the board when the Colts pick, take him and don't look back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BProland85 said:

With OL and DL being big on Ballard's board, could he surprise us all by taking a beast of a OT in Becton at LT? I bet Ballard would be salivating to possibly get a mauling LT for the future post Anthony Castonzo. 

 

I'm thinking he won't go QB due to Love rising, and I don't see Ballard trading up for any QB outside of possibly Tu'a or obviously Burrow. And I don't think he's sold on Herbert as of yet. 

 

So that tells me our 1st rounder will be either DT, OT, or WR.

 

If Ballard selects Becton at 13 he has to start right away. A top 15 pick is too high for a player to sit on the sidelines for a year or two until AC retires. That is one of the reasons why I would be against the pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jdubu said:

What if AC isn’t coming back, would you take this tackle at 13 then? Let’s assume our qb’s and DT’s are all gone and this man is on the board with no AC? What if AC knows he isn’t coming back but to help the colts cover up a need and expose draft plans, he goes along with the press bit that says he is coming back and is in contract negotiations. Never know, CB always keeping everyone guessing. Conspiracy man lol. 

Ballard is actually the opposite. He pretty much tells you what he's doing..... Then.... He does it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • What is it to you? Cousins does not play for your team. Why do you care what Vikings fans think of him? Serious question. I could not care less what you thought of JB or any other player on your team.   Btw, it sounds like stats are all that matters to you. I guess in 2015, you wished you had Blake Bortles as your QB. He threw for over 4,400 yards and 35 TDs. Guess what? He was a big loser in 2015.   Enjoy the rest of your weekend. 
    • Bringing this full circle to Rhodes...he is available because of his play last couple years and especially late last year. My hope though is we use him differently.
    • He was explaining that the KC contract is one reason that Rhodes was available       They were asked questions about play      Any person can get frustrated when you see your favorite players leave because one player is getting paid a huge contract and not produce what was promised         One reason I still get sick when I hear Bill Polian 
    • I saw nothing out of line. Just people disagreeing with his position. I’m not even a Cousins fan either. Definitely think he is overpaid but so are a ton of qbs right now. That said to come to a teams board who suffered through one of the most frustrating seasons ever and quite literally going from championship contenders with a great qb to a less then mediocre team suffering through some painful qb play this year and then to complain about your pro bowl qb is insensitive on his part if anything...but it’s alright. I’ll leave this thread to the Vikings fans...of course their opinions can’t be questioned on a Colt fan board.
    • I had no problem with talking to the poster but the attacks on his fandom wasthe problem
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...