Indianapolis Colts

I posted in another thread about Cam Akers having an official meeting with the Colts at the combine. 

Also:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I posted in another thread about Cam Akers having an official meeting with the Colts at the combine. 

Also:

Big fan of Cam.  I'd be in favor of drafting him if things get to expensive with Mack.  I think he's the best back in the draft.

• Like 3

One of the longest corners in the draft meeting with the Colts. This is not a surprise. Colts FO has Seahawks ties and they are pretty famous for having a length requirement for their CBs(they are looking for CBs with armlength of 32" or more): 

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/25533/in-search-of-a-seahawks-type-cb-start-with-32-inch-arms

The Colts seem to have a very similar one. All of Quincy Wilson, Rock Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell have arms 32" or longer. Diggs :

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Virtuoso80 said:

isnt Jake Fromm a QB not TE?

Yep... it's a mistake on the sheet. 

On 2/28/2020 at 1:29 PM, stitches said:

@FanOfNuance on twitter is maintaining a tracker with the publicly known interviews/visits of draftees with the Colts. Here's the link to it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vsoa-4H8Pgm9YJ8k__5D9qmfoqRgfSGvijZxV1dY4U8/edit?usp=sharing

Quite a small list.  I think we can interview 40 or 45 prospects.  I'm surprised more names haven't come out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Quite a small list.  I think we can interview 40 or 45 prospects.  I'm surprised more names haven't come out.

Its still early. Those lists really start adding more during all the pro days. Pro day interviews, private workouts, and whatnot. 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, stitches said:

One of the longest corners in the draft meeting with the Colts. This is not a surprise. Colts FO has Seahawks ties and they are pretty famous for having a length requirement for their CBs(they are looking for CBs with armlength of 32" or more): 

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/25533/in-search-of-a-seahawks-type-cb-start-with-32-inch-arms

The Colts seem to have a very similar one. All of Quincy Wilson, Rock Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell have arms 32" or longer. Diggs :

You can add Kenny Moore to the 32 inch arm crowd.    Ballard likes to talk about that all the time.   Moore doesn’t meet their height requirement, but they signed him because he met their arm length requirement.  That worked out pretty well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Not interview but interest shown:

That would be a very Ballard pick day 3 Qb with alot of upside . 

3 minutes ago, B~Town said:

That would be a very Ballard pick day 3 Qb with alot of upside . 

At one point ballard Is going to have to go after elite players who are proven in the draft and not think a late day pick can be the future. That would be very depressing. I am actually tired of always hearing about development with late round picks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

At one point ballard Is going to have to go after elite players who are proven in the draft and not think a late day pick can be the future. That would be very depressing. I am actually tired of always hearing about development with late round picks.

Agreed. Everytime we have a need people want to take a developmental player later in the draft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. Everytime we have a need people want to take a developmental player later in the draft.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree. He should only draft sure fire starters at every pick. Why pick players to develop when he can just pick starters ;)     ..... I'm just messin'. I know what y'all are saying

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I agree. He should only draft sure fire starters at every pick. Why pick players to develop when he can just pick starters ;)     ..... I'm just messin'. I know what y'all are saying

I think what he has done trading  down has worked well to build depth and a good foundation. But eventually you have to go after elite franchise type guys. Especially when your picking 13. I mean there is a big chance the QB are gone and lamb or jeudy is right there. We need game changers. 

I saw a tweet from Albright  he mentioned how teams shouldn’t wait on a position because it’s deep. He is like you never know what will be there when  you pick. Pick while you have great right there in your grasps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Seriously?     Who do you think is available in the late rounds?    Both rounds 6 and 7, and in some years,  R5,  are fillled with players who have flaws and limitations.    Those flaws and limitations need polishing.   Polishing is part of the whole development thing you object to?

What else do you think is out there at the end of the draft?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stitches said:

Not interview but interest shown:

See thats where i lose respect for this report.  Morgan has an arm

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?     Who do you think is available in the late rounds?    Both rounds 6 and 7, and in some years,  R5,  are fillled with players who have flaws and limitations.    Those flaws and limitations need polishing.   Polishing is part of the whole development thing you object to?

What else do you think is out there at the end of the draft?

I was specifically talking about trading down all the time.

• Sad 1

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-draft-oklahoma-state-and-wagner-pro-day-reports/

Offensive lineman Marcus Keyes was another prospect who looked good in position drills, displaying violent hand punch and the ability to play with knee bend and leverage throughout the session.

Keyes measured 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds with an arm length of 33 5/8 inches.

The Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Ravens, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-draft-miami-redhawks-pro-day-report/

There’s no rest for the weary, as less than 24 hours after the NFL Scouting Combine officially ended, more than a dozen teams made their way to Miami, Ohio, for the Miami RedHawks pro day workout on Monday. Miami did not have a single player at the Combine last week, but teams were interested in two particular players yesterday: defensive lineman Doug Costin and placekicker Sam Sloman.

Sloman, who kicked a 64-yard field goal during the FBS All-Americans Tropical Bowl in January and booted one from 61 yards yesterday, actually had three special teams coaches work him out last Wednesday, as the trio drove to Miami, Ohio, from the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

I’m told the Indianapolis Colts had their special teams coach on hand Monday.

• Thanks 1

Probably be the last we hear of visits since the Corona virus has basically shut down everything. Colts have pulled their scouts off the road. Best we can hope for is some Skype interviews.

I'd glad Colts are showing interest in LT Ezra Cleveland. Could be a good LT for the future and a great swing OT in case of injury until he takes over.

EUEgfJtWsAACV05.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'd glad Colts are showing interest in LT Ezra Cleveland. Could be a good LT for the future and a great swing OT in case of injury until he takes over.

EUEgfJtWsAACV05.jpeg

I was getting ready to do a write up on Cleveland because his numbers are outstanding, so it caused me to try to find as much game film of him that I could.

I will say, his athleticism is every bit as good as you would expect by seeing his running numbers (40, SS and 3cone).  He moves really well, at all levels, even saw him chase down a LB or DB after a fumble in the FSU game (the guy stumbled) but he was close enough to take advantage of the stumble.  He also does a great job of working with his guard to pass off defenders and get to a target at the 2nd level.

The thing about his numbers that is misleading is the 30 reps on the bench press.  He does not play strong at all, does not extend and lock out his arms when engaged and lacks the strength to redirect edge rushers with just his arms.

To make a comparison to a Colts player, he reminds me a lot of Le"Raven Clark.  Some may consider that a bad thing, but he is another that, when he came into the league he had all the athleticism and agility in the world but lack the sand in his pants to stop an NFL rusher.  But last year during the preseason and in the 1st few games of 2018, Clark, IMO, showed he has learned how to do that.

All that being said he is an excellent 3rd or 4th round prospect and he may be able to fill in for a few plays but I think it will take a year or two of coaching for him to learn how to translate his immense physical gifts into leverage and strength on the playing field.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2020 at 9:23 AM, stitches said:

On 2/28/2020 at 12:05 PM, CheezyColt said:

Diggs @ 34 would be something to consider, if he gets out of the first.

Diggs seems to be a perfect fit for the Colts defense....

If he and Mims are on the board at 34.....  it would be a tough choice

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I was getting ready to do a write up on Cleveland because his numbers are outstanding, so it caused me to try to find as much game film of him that I could.

I will say, his athleticism is every bit as good as you would expect by seeing his running numbers (40, SS and 3cone).  He moves really well, at all levels, even saw him chase down a LB or DB after a fumble in the FSU game (the guy stumbled) but he was close enough to take advantage of the stumble.  He also does a great job of working with his guard to pass off defenders and get to a target at the 2nd level.

The thing about his numbers that is misleading is the 30 reps on the bench press.  He does not play strong at all, does not extend and lock out his arms when engaged and lacks the strength to redirect edge rushers with just his arms.

To make a comparison to a Colts player, he reminds me a lot of Le"Raven Clark.  Some may consider that a bad thing, but he is another that, when he came into the league he had all the athleticism and agility in the world but lack the sand in his pants to stop an NFL rusher.  But last year during the preseason and in the 1st few games of 2018, Clark, IMO, showed he has learned how to do that.

All that being said he is an excellent 3rd or 4th round prospect and he may be able to fill in for a few plays but I think it will take a year or two of coaching for him to learn how to translate his immense physical gifts into leverage and strength on the playing field.

It would be awesome if he made it round 4.... I doubt it 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, MikeCurtis said:

It would be awesome if he made it round 4.... I doubt it 

I don't think he will fall to the 4th either, IMO he will be drafted in the 3rd round.  He may slip into the 2nd because as they say, it only takes one team to really like the guy.

I think it was Bucky Brooks latest mock had the Colts taking Clevend at pick #44 and, IMO, that is too early with his strength issues.  And people will say, "A couple of years in an NFL strength program..." But that is not the case as his 30 reps on the bengh press show... there is a difference between functional strength and weight room strength and functional strength has more to do with all the correct parts of the body working in unison and some people can never achieve that.

I know this is a long winded response just to say, yes I agree I doubt he falls to the 4th round. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't think he will fall to the 4th either, IMO he will be drafted in the 3rd round.  He may slip into the 2nd because as they say, it only takes one team to really like the guy.

I think it was Bucky Brooks latest mock had the Colts taking Clevend at pick #44 and, IMO, that is too early with his strength issues.  And people will say, "A couple of years in an NFL strength program..." But that is not the case as his 30 reps on the bengh press show... there is a difference between functional strength and weight room strength and functional strength has more to do with all the correct parts of the body working in unison and some people can never achieve that.

I know this is a long winded response just to say, yes I agree I doubt he falls to the 4th round. :)

I've been seeing him in some R1 mock drafts. A lot of people seem to think his combine performance has vaulted him into the conversation at the very least to be drafted late 1st. His athleticism is really that special and coaches really do believe foolishly or not in their ability to coach up technically raw but athletically gifted prospects. 

Here's his mockdraftable web: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ezra-cleveland

This is ridiculous. There really isn't even a good comparison for him athletically. Even the better athletes at the position are rarely THIS athletic at the whole gamut of test at the same time. His only negative is his arm length being about average. The best comparisons athletically are Taylor Lewan, Terron Armstead, Lane Johnson, Jake Fisher. I can absolutely see why a team will take a shot at him and try to develop him into what his athletic traits suggest he can be - a pro-bowl level offensive tackle. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've been seeing him in some R1 mock drafts. A lot of people seem to think his combine performance has vaulted him into the conversation at the very least to be drafted late 1st. His athleticism is really that special and coaches really do believe foolishly or not in their ability to coach up technically raw but athletically gifted prospects. 

Here's his mockdraftable web: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ezra-cleveland

This is ridiculous. There really isn't even a good comparison for him athletically. Even the better athletes at the position are rarely THIS athletic at the whole gamut of test at the same time. His only negative is his arm length being about average. The best comparisons athletically are Taylor Lewan, Terron Armstead, Lane Johnson, Jake Fisher. I can absolutely see why a team will take a shot at him and try to develop him into what his athletic traits suggest he can be - a pro-bowl level offensive tackle. 

He is definitely elite athletically but I go back to the Clark comparison.  Even the NFL had Clark as a 1st or 2nd round prospect because of his athleticism and he ended lasted until the 19th pick of the 3rd round.  And I think Cleveland will suffer some of the same issues as Clark... athletic, lack of strength one advantage over Clark is Boise State runs a more NFL type offensive, so he is used to coming out of a 3 point stance and having to sustain blocks for a QB playing from under center.

14 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He is definitely elite athletically but I go back to the Clark comparison.  Even the NFL had Clark as a 1st or 2nd round prospect because of his athleticism and he ended lasted until the 19th pick of the 3rd round.  And I think Cleveland will suffer some of the same issues as Clark... athletic, lack of strength one advantage over Clark is Boise State runs a more NFL type offensive, so he is used to coming out of a 3 point stance and having to sustain blocks for a QB playing from under center.

Le'Raven was relatively athletic but nothing close to this:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/leraven-clark

The biggest thing with LeRaven was his length(36" arms), which is another thing coaches drool over. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Diggs seems to be a perfect fit for the Colts defense....

If he and Mims are on the board at 34.....  it would be a tough choice

Take Diggs because there’s a significant drop off at corner after him. If you miss on Mims there’s still plenty of talent at receiver.

This all reminds me of Jachai Polite last year, not being polite at all with his interviews, lol.

@Coffeedrinker you said you've watched Cleveland play. First a disclaimer on my part - I haven't watched him, what I'm saying is strictly based on what I've heard - have you noticed him lacking competitive drive and desire to fight? Just listened to Greg Cosell interview and he said he avoids casting such aspersions on players because it is very damning for a player, but he felt it was especially obvious in Cleveland's film that he was lacking competitiveness and didn't seem like he cared much on the field. Did you see this in his film?

Personally I wouldn't put too much into the interview process. 

I could be wrong but Big Q never had an interview with the Colts before he was drafted. 

Just saying. 

I know it's off season and we are reaching out for anything Colts related to draw our attention but...…. 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

@Coffeedrinker you said you've watched Cleveland play. First a disclaimer on my part - I haven't watched him, what I'm saying is strictly based on what I've heard - have you noticed him lacking competitive drive and desire to fight? Just listened to Greg Cosell interview and he said he avoids casting such aspersions on players because it is very damning for a player, but he felt it was especially obvious in Cleveland's film that he was lacking competitiveness and didn't seem like he cared much on the field. Did you see this in his film?

That is tough to tell from watching the games.  I will say this, he did not seem like a finisher, once he thought the play was by him he would coast and there were times he seemed lazy if the play was not coming to his size.

As far as competitive drive or desire to improve I cannot tell them from watching the game and I would question anyone who claims to be able to do that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stitches said:

Le'Raven was relatively athletic but nothing close to this:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/leraven-clark

The biggest thing with LeRaven was his length(36" arms), which is another thing coaches drool over. 

I'm not sure where the site got his information because he did not perform those drills at the combine nor his proday.  But when you watch Clark movement and Cleveland's movement they are nearly identical.

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not sure where the site got his information because he did not perform those drills at the combine nor his proday.  But when you watch Clark movement and Cleveland's movement they are nearly identical.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/leraven-clark?id=2555202

This says he worked out at the combine. He had a time for the 40 and a number for the benchpress and his regular anthropometric measurements done at the combine. 

46 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is tough to tell from watching the games.  I will say this, he did not seem like a finisher, once he thought the play was by him he would coast and there were times he seemed lazy if the play was not coming to his size.

As far as competitive drive or desire to improve I cannot tell them from watching the game and I would question anyone who claims to be able to do that.

He wasn't talking about desire to improve... more about desire to play physical and get his hands dirty and competitive drive. Cosell himself said that he hates saying things like that because they are usually somewhat nebulous and very damning when attached to a player(and I don't think I've ever heard him call out another player like that), but he said you could very obviously see it in his film. 

Anyways, I guess I will get to watch him at some point before the draft and form my own opinion. Cheers and thanks for the feedback :cheers:

• Like 1