Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine Testing and On-Field Drills Thread - Day 1 - WR/TE/QB

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I live less than 60 miles from Sanford, so what's your point? I'm not a UGA fan, but most of my friends here are, and I've seen several of Fromm's games in person, and a lot more on TV. Doesn't really matter though... But hey, go ahead and discount the majority of UGA fans. Your opinion is clearly better than fans that watch every game... And by the way, if you know a lot of UGA fans, you'd know they don't like Kirby's O either. They can dislike his O and Fromm's limitations at the same time. 

This is a great example though of you looking silly in one debate, and then trying to jump off to another topic... keep doing you.

You brought up the notion that proximity to UGA makes you more knowledgeable about UGA, and therefore, have greater insights into the dynamics of the team "than just about any body on this forum".  I've never ever brought it up because I know it doesn't matter.

But by your measure, my proximity, ( and the number of UGA fans I have to endure) gives me a freaking PHD about it and makes you just a freshman pledge.......Flounder.

Having said that, the useful information gleaned from the combine about Fromm, notably hand size, puts him into the higher risk bucket for me (like Kinlaw's knee), which strengthens my liking for Herbert as the college QB option, (as I've noted, not Fromm) which is only third best behind trading for Carr then Stafford, IMO.

Even TUA and Burrow have risks, both having season generated stats that benefited tremendously from a supporting cast.  Golly, Jefferson runs a 4.4, who knew? You know, just do the Mahomes thing, throw the football down field in the area of the fast guy and the fast guy will make you look like you know what you're doing.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know everyone is intoxicated with Love. I watched the combine myself. Saw him first hand. With that I will say that based on what I saw last night, taking into fact that Kinlaw and the DT's were not on field and that Kinlaw isn't going to participate I believe and knowing Colts needs are also QB and WR, with the 13th pick the Indianapolis Colts select.... CeeDee Lamb!!

Dude reminds me of Nuk! I would grab him in a hot moment. Jeudy looks the part too, but there is just something about Lamb. 

Lamb is the #1 WR we have been searching for since Marvin. 

Yeah I agree that Love didn’t rise. Maybe in the eyes of the media and fans, but the scouts already knew what we saw. The 40 time is what really excited me though. 4.68 is Deshaun Watson type stuff who he’ also been comped too. He did miss some throws which was pointed out, but much like at the Senior Bowl he got better as time went on. And the kid went to Utah State after all. He’ll need some polish. Nothing wrong with him needing to sit for a year. Even Herbert needs work. Kurt Warner said what everyone has said about how he looks like he’s aiming the football instead of just letting it go.

But I think he did what he needed to do here. His arm was just as live as Herbert and Eason’s. To be safe, you might need to trade up in front of the Chargers or right behind them if they really like Herbert. But my mind is made up on Love.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

George had one of the worst Wonderlic scores ever, and was turtle slow (4.99).

Scored 10 on the Wonderlic when the average for his position was 24... 

Doubt we'd take any QB with either of those metrics. 

Thanks for the data reminder.  I just recall he was a jackleg.  :^)

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW it seems like Love's official time is actually 4.74, rather than 4.68... not that it matters much but yeah... 

I might be wrong but I doubt we draft a QB after thinking about this yesterday. I have feeling we sign Rivers for 2 years and draft one next year in Rivers last season to groom him. Rivers has a great relationship with Reich and we have a great O.Line so it would make sense to sign Rivers. Nobody knows what Ballard is thinking, I have no clue either but this is my gut feeling. I say we take a WR with the 13th and a 3T at 34.

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW it seems like Love's official time is actually 4.74, rather than 4.68... not that it matters much but yeah... 

Yeah that’s fine. 4.74 is still good for his size. Faster than Mahomes and right there with Wentz.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I might be wrong but I doubt we draft a QB after thinking about this yesterday. I have feeling we sign Rivers for 2 years and draft one next year in Rivers last season to groom him. Rivers has a great relationship with Reich and we have a great O.Line so it would make sense to sign Rivers. Nobody knows what Ballard is thinking, I have no clue either but this is my gut feeling. I say we take a WR with the 13th and a 3T at 34.

Maybe someone will rise but there aren’t any QBs next year. Trevor Lawrence? Probably goes number 1 or 2 overall or goes back for his senior season like Luck did.

Justin Fields? Same story. Top 5 pick or he might go back.

After that there’s Jamie Newman but I’m not sure playing at a conservative offense in Georgia is going to help him at all.

Plus other teams will have QB needs. A QB isn’t guaranteed to be sitting there in the middle/end of the first round just waiting for us to take him.

@stitches Hey man, ponder this as I think I might have a feeling on how this is going to potentially play out. Thus is pure speculation, however would you be okay with this:

I think the Colts will bring in Rivers. As much as I have been against this I think I can get on board with this if they bring in Rivers, take Lamb at 13 and take Jefferson at 34. If this happens IMO JB has to be a post June cur if no trade based on obvious taking a backseat yet again to another QB here, so Colts keep Kelly and let Kelly be groomed by Rivers. What do you think about that? I know you are a Love supporter, but if Colts went the way I just suggested, would you be okay with that? 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah that’s fine. 4.74 is still good for his size. Faster than Mahomes and right there with Wentz.

Maybe someone will rise but there aren’t any QBs next year. Trevor Lawrence? Probably goes number 1 or 2 overall or goes back for his senior season like Luck did.

Justin Fields? Same story. Top 5 pick or he might go back.

After that there’s Jamie Newman but I’m not sure playing at a conservative offense in Georgia is going to help him at all.

Plus other teams will have QB needs. A QB isn’t guaranteed to be sitting there in the middle/end of the first round just waiting for us to take him.

Who really stands out this season? Burrow is going #1, Tua has injury issues, Herbert will not be a good pro IMO, he is too laid back, I like Love but I am not sold on the fact he will be good either. With Rivers I would bet we go 10-6 with the team we have now. We could've been 10-6 this past season with JB had it not been for a poor kicking game and injuries to our WR core.

7 minutes ago, Indeee said:

@stitches Hey man, ponder this as I think I might have a feeling on how this is going to potentially play out. Thus is pure speculation, however would you be okay with this:

I think the Colts will bring in Rivers. As much as I have been against this I think I can get on board with this if they bring in Rivers, take Lamb at 13 and take Jefferson at 34. If this happens IMO JB has to be a post June cur if no trade based on obvious taking a backseat yet again to another QB here, so Colts keep Kelly and let Kelly be groomed by Rivers. What do you think about that? I know you are a Love supporter, but if Colts went the way I just suggested, would you be okay with that? 

I am just guessing but I can see us signing Rivers, trading JB for like a 5th or 6th, Kelly being the backup. Then we will draft a QB next season. It is all a guess though. If Kelly stays out of trouble I can see him being a #2. JB will get traded if we sign Rivers because IMO he won't be happy being a backup again after this was his team.

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The next time you have a "feeling" like this   … go to the bathroom.

#1 we are not going to bring in Rivers

#2 we are not going to use our first round pick on a WR or QB

#3 I think this coaching staff is not ready to give up on JB and I think/hope they keep Kelley

#4 there will be a QB added to roster, either late in draft or a surprise FA

Just my 2cents worth

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I've said this before - you do NOT make decisions at the top of your roster(and the very top of the top is the future starting QB) with the thought of Chad Kelly's existence. He shouldn't even enter into the conversation when considering whether to pick a QB in the draft or not. If you love a QB in the draft, draft him... if you don't love a QB in the draft(or if the one you love gets taken before you) - don't draft him, but not because you have Chad Kelly. 

I don't mind Rivers on a short term deal and taking Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs at 13. I think it makes sense if you don't like a QB enough to take him at 13. But you should do it with the clear idea that you still need to address long-term future QB. Keep CK, let him compete and develop behind Rivers, but don't put yourself in the position of having to RELY on him becoming the solution. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I've said this before - you do NOT make decisions at the top of your roster(and the very top of the top is the future starting QB) with the thought of Chad Kelly's existence. He shouldn't even enter into the conversation when considering whether to pick a QB in the draft or not. If you love a QB in the draft, draft him... if you don't love a QB in the draft(or if the one you love gets taken before you) - don't draft him, but not because you have Chad Kelly. 

I don't mind Rivers on a short term deal and taking Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs at 13. I think it makes sense if you don't like a QB enough to take him at 13. But you should do it with the clear idea that you still need to address long-term future QB. Keep CK, let him compete and develop behind Rivers, but don't put yourself in the position of having to RELY on him becoming the solution. 

To me Kelly can be a great backup like JB was. I am ok with Rivers for 2 years but we do need a young future QB.

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

Amen, brutha!  Preach!

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. IF the Colts think Kelly does have the potential although not quite yet ready, then bringing in a Vet like Rivers does make sense, as if you draft one of these rookie QB's aren't you virtually saying the same thing? Meaning that evaluating a rookie QB to potentially be capable but not yet ready in parallel to Kelly being capable but not yet ready as well. To me, this rookie class beyond maybe Burrow are guys being valued as guys with potential but not quite ready to actually start right away. That might be based on how a team would handle the QB drafted, but from the outside opinions, these QBs are project guys that could boom or bust. How is that any different from Kelly's evaluation? If the Colts feel Kelly is similar to any of these rookie QBs in his potential, then why would you draft a guy just to replace a guy you already have? This is where the rationale of taking a rookie QB gets lost on me. Right or wrong, I can't see drafting a QB with potential when you currently have a QB with the same potential on your roster.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

I know everyone is intoxicated with Love. I watched the combine myself. Saw him first hand. With that I will say that based on what I saw last night, taking into fact that Kinlaw and the DT's were not on field and that Kinlaw isn't going to participate I believe and knowing Colts needs are also QB and WR, with the 13th pick the Indianapolis Colts select.... CeeDee Lamb!!

Dude reminds me of Nuk! I would grab him in a hot moment. Jeudy looks the part too, but there is just something about Lamb. 

Lamb is the #1 WR we have been searching for since Marvin. 

I am a big fan of Kinlaw but I am starting to wonder about him.  He wasn't able to make it through Senior Bowl week and he cannot make it through the combine.  I know it supposedly knee tendonitis but it does raise a flag, if not red at least a yellow one.  Basically the senior bowl and combine are part of the job interview process and he has bailed out both times.

If we wait on a Qb Next year that potentially puts us as needing a QB and LT in the first round next year. I do not want to be in that situation. If there is a QB this year go get him. We have the draft capital this year and sitting at 13. What if we are sitting at 25 next year with no extra picks and AC retires.  You do not delay a QB this year if there is one you love. No one knows what next year will bring.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am just guessing but I can see us signing Rivers, trading JB for like a 5th or 6th, Kelly being the backup. Then we will draft a QB next season. It is all a guess though. If Kelly stays out of trouble I can see him being a #2. JB will get traded if we sign Rivers because IMO he won't be happy being a backup again after this was his team.

I don't see anyone trading for JB, especially if we sign Rivers. At that point, we'd have 2 big QB salaries and teams would know that we'd have to get rid of JB's, effectively negating any trade leverage. I also don't see anyone bringing him in as a starting QB and nobody will pay him his current salary to be a backup. To me, JB would be a post-June 2 cut.

18 minutes ago, twfish said:

Herbert looked effortless, was on the money on his throws with WRs he hasn't thrown to. Eason looked like he didn't know how to make the most of his tools. Eason reminds me of Mason Rudolph, he has the arm to connect on deep throws but timing is lacking (throwing behind on slants, not giving room for run after catch on throws down the sidelines etc.) and timing is a big part of Reich's offense, IMO. 

I am extremely supportive of moving up for Herbert now.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who really stands out this season? Burrow is going #1, Tua has injury issues, Herbert will not be a good pro IMO, he is too laid back, I like Love but I am not sold on the fact he will be good either. With Rivers I would bet we go 10-6 with the team we have now. We could've been 10-6 this past season with JB had it not been for a poor kicking game and injuries to our WR core.

You’re being too picky at that point. I can not stress enough that this is a new era for the Colts. Daniel Jeremiah mentioned this on his podcast but this is the first time in 20+ years we don’t have the winning lottery ticket. We’re not sitting with the first pick of the draft with a generational talent at QB there. These are the options other teams have to deal with, and now it’s our turn.

Don’t be so scared of traits based QB’s who aren’t flawless. Those are the type of QBs who get drafted high and do well when they go to the right system. Herbert and Love are the type of guys that win in this league. He’ll if Daniel Jones went at 6, you think it’s unreasonable to take Love or Herbert at 13?

The Colts have a good roster. They can not afford to just wait around until they have a top 5 pick again (which our roster is too good for) to pick a QB. You have to gamble. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

From all reports, they say Fromm struggled and I didn't watch it so I don't know.  But I did find this clip of Eason and Fromm.   A big difference between Eason and Fromm in this clip is Eason waits for the WR to come out of his break and take a step or two and then throws.  Fromm, as soon as the WR started into the break, he was throwing.  And all three throws in the clip were right on the money

Some of it depends on what you want from(m) your QB but to me, that type of anticipation and accuracy is more important that making plays with your feet or having a cannon for an arm.  And to show that type of timing with WR he has not worked with before is impressive.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

From all reports, they say Fromm struggled and I didn't watch it so I don't know.  But I did find this clip of Eason and Fromm.   A big difference between Eason and Fromm in this clip is Eason waits for the WR to come out of his break and take a step or two and then throws.  Fromm, as soon as the WR started into the break, he was throwing.  And all three throws in the clip were right on the money

Some of it depends on what you want from(m) your QB but to me, that type of anticipation and accuracy is more important that making plays with your feet or having a cannon for an arm.  And to show that type of timing with WR he has not worked with before is impressive.

Eason will not do well in a timing based offense like Reich's, IMO, from what I saw. Herbert was more flawless with his timing.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we wait on a Qb Next year that potentially puts us as needing a QB and LT in the first round next year. I do not want to be in that situation. If there is a QB this year go get him. We have the draft capital this year and sitting at 13. What if we are sitting at 25 next year with no extra picks and AC retires.  You do not delay a QB this year if there is one you love. No one knows what next year will bring.

One thing I get lost with is everyone saying, well we will be picking in the 20-25 range next year. If we are doing that we probably won 10+ games and made the playoffs. Wouldn’t that mean JB or CK played and did well. Therefore we might not need a QB. 

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’re being too picky at that point. I can not stress enough that this is a new era for the Colts. Daniel Jeremiah mentioned this on his podcast but this is the first time in 20+ years we don’t have the winning lottery ticket. We’re not sitting with the first pick of the draft with a generational talent at QB there. These are the options other teams have to deal with, and now it’s our turn.

Don’t be so scared of traits based QB’s who aren’t flawless. Those are the type of QBs who get drafted high and do well when they go to the right system. Herbert and Love are the type of guys that win in this league. He’ll if Daniel Jones went at 6, you think it’s unreasonable to take Love or Herbert at 13?

The Colts have a good roster. They can not afford to just wait around until they have a top 5 pick again (which our roster is too good for) to pick a QB. You have to gamble. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

Oh I don't mind gambling, just not sold on any of these QB's coming out this year. I would maybe gamble on a guy like Love based on how great he looked in 2018 and we have a great Line. Burrow isn't even option, he is going #1.

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. IF the Colts think Kelly does have the potential although not quite yet ready, then bringing in a Vet like Rivers does make sense, as if you draft one of these rookie QB's aren't you virtually saying the same thing? Meaning that evaluating a rookie QB to potentially be capable but not yet ready in parallel to Kelly being capable but not yet ready as well. To me, this rookie class beyond maybe Burrow are guys being valued as guys with potential but not quite ready to actually start right away. That might be based on how a team would handle the QB drafted, but from the outside opinions, these QBs are project guys that could boom or bust. How is that any different from Kelly's evaluation? If the Colts feel Kelly is similar to any of these rookie QBs in his potential, then why would you draft a guy just to replace a guy you already have? This is where the rationale of taking a rookie QB gets lost on me. Right or wrong, I can't see drafting a QB with potential when you currently have a QB with the same potential on your roster.

Why make Kelly the highest paid practice squad player in the league and then keep him on the active roster so he's not claimed?  Looks like they see a lot of potential to me and they don't want to lose him.  

15 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

One thing I get lost with is everyone saying, well we will be picking in the 20-25 range next year. If we are doing that we probably won 10+ games and made the playoffs. Wouldn’t that mean JB or CK played and did well. Therefore we might not need a QB. 

Depends if the 20-25 range is accomplished with an 8-8 or 9-7 record. If there are plays left out on the field, and points left on the field with not enough plays being made by the QB, that would put us in purgatory territory, something the Chiefs were constantly with Alex Smith. 2 years of Mahomes and HFA in both years, that is what the QB with a higher ceiling can do. Yes, we can try to do it the Seahawks way with a top 5 defense but as we know right now, our D is far from a shut down defense. Plus, when the offense doesn't protect the defense, there is only so much even a vaunted defense can do.

Just ask the Ravens from 2001-2011, where defensive stalwarts like Suggs, Lewis, Ngata and Reed could only do so much until Flacco arrived to put them over the hump, with a SB coming on the heels of offensive production. The defense still has to make timely plays but in the current era, you need the QB to make plenty of plays against good defenses for a run to a SB. Our OL is good but not so good to hide the limitations of an above average QB, IMO.

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would be surprised if Ballard pulled the trigger to move up for Love.  Only because it's going to be too pricy now after tonight.  Too many teams will be in the hunt and making offers.  IMO they should have taken the chance and moved up before the combine like the Jets did with the Colts.  Worse case you still get a top ten player.  Now I think it's more Ballard and Reich like that we sign Rivers and get him some more weapons.  Maybe we can try for Carr if the Raiders sign Brady.  Who knows.  I just can't see Ballard paying the price for a QB that has to sit a year and lose those high draft picks.  I think if he really wants him he's going to have to do it.  

I agree! Sign Rivers for 2 years. Draft Gordon 2nd or 3rd. Keep Kelley and dispose all other QB's currently on the team. Arrow would start pointing up instead of the other way!

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Why make Kelly the highest paid practice squad player in the league and then keep him on the active roster so he's not claimed?  Looks like they see a lot of potential to me and they don't want to lose him.  

Exactly. None of it makes sense in regards to taking a QB in the draft. At the moment, there are 3 QBs in the Colts mix. JB, Kelly and Hoyer. Now we're talking Rivers and drafting a QB too, some have said sign Rivers and Draft a QB. That would be 5 QBs to deal with. 5. Assuming Hoyer gets dumped. That leaves 4. ?? Something is a miss here. Doesn't add up logically.

24 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

No, it will mean the team most probably dragged a mediocre QB to 10 wins. Just like they almost did this year. We were several FGs away from winning 10 games. 

34 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Give it up Blue, or should I say Mr. Brissett?

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. IF the Colts think Kelly does have the potential although not quite yet ready, then bringing in a Vet like Rivers does make sense, as if you draft one of these rookie QB's aren't you virtually saying the same thing?

He will be year 4 QB with 0 starts while playing behind giants of the QB position like Jacoby Brissett, Brian Hoyer, Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch, Kevin Hogan and Case Keenum? How much more ready can he get? And why has he not become ready in 4 years? 

Meaning that evaluating a rookie QB to potentially be capable but not yet ready in parallel to Kelly being capable but not yet ready as well. To me, this rookie class beyond maybe Burrow are guys being valued as guys with potential but not quite ready to actually start right away. That might be based on how a team would handle the QB drafted, but from the outside opinions, these QBs are project guys that could boom or bust. How is that any different from Kelly's evaluation? If the Colts feel Kelly is similar to any of these rookie QBs in his potential, then why would you draft a guy just to replace a guy you already have? This is where the rationale of taking a rookie QB gets lost on me. Right or wrong, I can't see drafting a QB with potential when you currently have a QB with the same potential on your roster.

It's different because of difference in talent and in difference in development. Kelly was drafted in R7 and hasn't sniffed the field for teams with bad QB situations for 3 years. There is a reason for that. If you draft a QB high, this means he most probably has superior talent and he will get the time to develop because there will be some upside and there will be more resources invested in him. Kelly will be 26 in a month and will be 4th year QB in the league. He's had plenty of time in the league to show he deserves a starting spot. 

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

@stitches @Superman what are cap implications or negatives in releasing Hoyer now or start of league year as he has 2 yrs. left on current deal?

We will have 2M dead cap money and we will save about 3M for this year. IMO if we draft a QB high, he will very likely be gone. Either him or Jacoby(if in addition to a rookie we have someone like Rivers for example). 

Archived