Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
stitches

Combine Testing and On-Field Drills Thread - Day 1 - WR/TE/QB

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol

 

 

Is it weird that NFL only flashed to them when Jordan Love had been throwing. 
 

also love that Ballard, who is not from Indiana but has professed his love for his adopted state, is rocking a Butler hat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts will most likely have to move up to get Love and if all it takes is a 3rd you do it and don't even think about it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s going to be interesting to see who goes first between Love and Herbert. Herbert has more playing experience but other then that I think they are pretty even. Love does some things better which might give him the edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s going to be interesting to see who goes first between Love and Herbert. Herbert has more playing experience but other then that I think they are pretty even. Love does some things better which might give him the edge.

Hopefully Herbert

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Colts will most likely have to move up to get Love and if all it takes is a 3rd you do it and don't even think about it.

It’s going to take more then a third. I am ok giving up next years first with number 44 this year. Unless we only have to move up to 7 hat might not take much. We won’t be able to get everything we need this year .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

It all depends on Chargers honestly 

If he gets to 7 I have no doubt Love will be a Colt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

It all depends on Chargers honestly 

If he gets to 7 I have no doubt Love will be a Colt.

If we want to make sure we get him we have to get ahead of the chargers. Don’t forget there may be teams on the back end of the first wanting to trade  up also. Something about Herbert just seems like a robot. Miami might end up trading with the lions to ensure they get TUA. That leaves only the giants. It’s going to be almost impossible to get ahead of the chargers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be surprised if Ballard pulled the trigger to move up for Love.  Only because it's going to be too pricy now after tonight.  Too many teams will be in the hunt and making offers.  IMO they should have taken the chance and moved up before the combine like the Jets did with the Colts.  Worse case you still get a top ten player.  Now I think it's more Ballard and Reich like that we sign Rivers and get him some more weapons.  Maybe we can try for Carr if the Raiders sign Brady.  Who knows.  I just can't see Ballard paying the price for a QB that has to sit a year and lose those high draft picks.  I think if he really wants him he's going to have to do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kind of surprised by how much everyone is swooning over Love. I'm not against him in any way and would definitely be open to taking him at 13. But on an open field with no defense or decision making required, I would hope he could hit guys in stride if he wants to be a 1st round pick. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would be surprised if Ballard pulled the trigger to move up for Love.  Only because it's going to be too pricy now after tonight.  Too many teams will be in the hunt and making offers.  IMO they should have taken the chance and moved up before the combine like the Jets did with the Colts.  Worse case you still get a top ten player.  Now I think it's more Ballard and Reich like that we sign Rivers and get him some more weapons.  Maybe we can try for Carr if the Raiders sign Brady.  Who knows.  I just can't see Ballard paying the price for a QB that has to sit a year and lose those high draft picks.  I think if he really wants him he's going to have to do it.  

You might lose a second this year and a first next year. That is worth a franchise QB. We have a solid foundation so that wouldn’t hurt. We aren’t going to get everything in this draft.  I don’t think we will be able to get ahead of the chargers though so it’s 50/50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Just remember...Jeff George.

Just remember...character 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Just remember...Jeff George.

George had one of the worst Wonderlic scores ever, and was turtle slow (4.99).

Scored 10 on the Wonderlic when the average for his position was 24... 

 

Doubt we'd take any QB with either of those metrics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would be surprised if Ballard pulled the trigger to move up for Love.  Only because it's going to be too pricy now after tonight.  Too many teams will be in the hunt and making offers.  IMO they should have taken the chance and moved up before the combine like the Jets did with the Colts.  Worse case you still get a top ten player.  Now I think it's more Ballard and Reich like that we sign Rivers and get him some more weapons.  Maybe we can try for Carr if the Raiders sign Brady.  Who knows.  I just can't see Ballard paying the price for a QB that has to sit a year and lose those high draft picks.  I think if he really wants him he's going to have to do it.  

Chiefs traded a future 1st to trade to get Mahomes. Sometimes trading up is extremely risky but like mentioned above can be very worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You might lose a second this year and a first next year. That is worth a franchise QB. We have a solid foundation so that wouldn’t hurt. We aren’t going to get everything in this draft.  I don’t think we will be able to get ahead of the chargers though so it’s 50/50.

I think the rest of the league knows we have had our sights on Love for quite some time.  The teams that draft before us are in the drivers seat now.  Love will be the big story tomorrow.  I think we are going to have to pay a big price to move up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

Oh brother.  It is so funny how every fan and so called scout speaks of a prospects stock rising by performing well in shorts at the combine.  How many times have I read executives that the medicals and interviews mean far more than  a 40 or a qb  throwing in shorts? For example if Love is graded a 2nd rounder, do u actually think him whipping balls at the combine in tights is going to elevate him into the top 20 or even top 10??? People need to slow down.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Please don’t make it happen!!

Please do make it happen!!  If not then give me one of the top wrs and a good Dt. As far as Gordon goes haven't  seen much on him tonight  how did he test?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh brother.  It is so funny how every fan and so called scout speaks of a prospects stock rising by performing well in shorts at the combine.  How many times have I read executives that the medicals and interviews mean far more than  a 40 or a qb  throwing in shorts? For example if Love is graded a 2nd rounder, do u actually think him whipping balls at the combine in tights is going to elevate him into the top 20 or even top 10??? People need to slow down.  

Yep because  sometimes  teams reach for a position  of need  and when they do it works out or it doesn't 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He just threw it 5 feet over his receivers head on a simple out route. Haha. He loves the deep ball on every throw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

He just threw it 5 feet over his receivers head on a simple out route. Haha. He loves the deep ball on every throw.

He will most likely sit out 2020 and work on his mechanics and several other things and take over in 21.

 

I don't expect perfection either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would be surprised if Ballard pulled the trigger to move up for Love.  Only because it's going to be too pricy now after tonight.  Too many teams will be in the hunt and making offers.  IMO they should have taken the chance and moved up before the combine like the Jets did with the Colts.  Worse case you still get a top ten player.  Now I think it's more Ballard and Reich like that we sign Rivers and get him some more weapons.  Maybe we can try for Carr if the Raiders sign Brady.  Who knows.  I just can't see Ballard paying the price for a QB that has to sit a year and lose those high draft picks.  I think if he really wants him he's going to have to do it.  

A couple things. First, you don't typically see substantial rise or fall with QBs based on combines drills. And when you do, it's typically a fall rather than a rise (because of unexpected bad drills or interviews). And I'd bet more QBs rise and fall due to the private interviews than drills.

 

While everyone is getting moist over the way Love looked tossing the ball, everyone making decisions (GMs/Coaches) already knew he could throw dimes and has all the physical attributes. What is in question is decision making and his ability to learn/execute/recall. Both of those are interview items, not really drill items. The drills today only confirmed what most already knew based on all the film. And even the interviews don't really disprove the non-physical concern of decision making.

 

Second, if you agree with the above, it becomes a question about how others did, as much as it is about how Love did. Burrow and Tua aren't doing drills, and even if they did, it's highly unlikely either drop farther than Love might rise.

 

The only QB really in striking distance (for Love to pass) is Herbert. The concerns about Herbert are less (reads, progressions), and are not things you're going to see in drills either. He has less decision flags than Love. So the question really is, did he do so bad in the drills, or whiff in the interviews, that he will drop. 

 

All the reports I've read have been pretty similar, and sync with what I saw... An that is the Herbert and Love were the best two QBs on the day. NFL.com actually tagged Herbert as the winner of the day. It's loser of the day was Fromm. Several other reviews were complimentary of Hurts, but he's no threat to Love/Herbert, and really in the third tier with Eason and Fromm. IMO, what was Eason then Fromm then Hurts, is now likely Hurts / Eason / Fromm. More about Fromm looking bad in drills, and Eason looking bad in interviews, than Hurts looking good though. 

 

So after Day 1, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Love in that order, which is the same as yesterday.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh brother.  It is so funny how every fan and so called scout speaks of a prospects stock rising by performing well in shorts at the combine.  How many times have I read executives that the medicals and interviews mean far more than  a 40 or a qb  throwing in shorts? For example if Love is graded a 2nd rounder, do u actually think him whipping balls at the combine in tights is going to elevate him into the top 20 or even top 10??? People need to slow down.  

Agree, like I said, easier to drop than it is to rise because of "drills".

 

His drills won't elevate him (everyone knew he can throw dimes).

His interviews might. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the updates, guys and gals...

 

Nice to see Love doing well, but IMO those drills are made for him to look good. He also tested well, which again is nice to have. I take that workout more as a nice box checked that was expected rather than some stock mover(don't count it twice - he's athletic and he throws a pretty ball, we knew those things already)... 

 

His interview with the team is still much more important than the drills.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've wanted to make that comp for a while but for months I've been told Shenault is going to run in the 4.3-4.4s... and I was a coward for not stating my case. He never looked fast to me. He looked explosive and powerful but never fast... The comp that was floating in my head ever since I watched his tape was Nkeal Harry whom I've described the exact same way last year. Same manufactured production, tons of slot reps, tons of screens, good hands, good seeking the ball in contested catch situations, good after the catch, explosive off the line of scrimmage but I never saw the long speed, doesn't separate when put outside... I never saw the hype with him. Like... I like him as a day 2 player but mid R1? Hell NO!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've wanted to make that comp for a while but for months I've been told Shenault is going to run in the 4.3-4.4s... and I was a coward for not stating my case. He never looked fast to me. He looked explosive and powerful but never fast... The comp that was floating in my head ever since I watched his tape was Nkeal Harry whom I've described the exact same way last year. Same manufactured production, tons of slot reps, tons of screens, good hands, good seeking the ball in contested catch situations, good after the catch, explosive off the line of scrimmage but I never saw the long speed, doesn't separate when put outside... I never saw the hype with him. Like... I like him as a day 2 player but mid R1? Hell NO!


Most of the mocks I’ve seen for Shenault are roughly from 24-40 or so.

 

Im sure there have been some mocks with Shenault in the mid-first, but over time I think more and more show him toward the bottom of the first top of the second.   
 

Hope this helps.  
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Most of the mocks I’ve seen for Shenault are roughly from 24-40 or so.

 

Im sure there have been some mocks with Shenault in the mid-first, but over time I think more and more show him toward the bottom of the first top of the second.   
 

Hope this helps.  
 

I remember him getting picked to us in the mid first in some mocks. Recently saw several mocks of him going 12-15...PFF specifically has been having him pretty high - in the teens all year long and hyping him as a freak athlete...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For real though... I can't find anything on how any of the later round QBs like Gordon or McDonald threw. They did throw right? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I remember him getting picked to us in the mid first in some mocks. Recently saw several mocks of him going 12-15...PFF specifically has been having him pretty high - in the teens all year long and hyping him as a freak athlete...

Ugh.  Yuk.   Way too high.

 

I see Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson and others going before him.   Of course it only takes one team to blow things up.   As you know,  it doesn’t matter if 31 teams see things the same way if the one other team likes a player more than everyone else.   So...  who knows? 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching a replay of some of what I missed last night. Peoples-Jones looks very good on the gauntlet. 

 

Victor is not fast, but he catches the ball very well too... 

 

Lamb looks awesome! Such a natural catcher of the ball. 

 

Mooney ran fast 40, but bobbles a lot of passes on the gauntlet. 

 

Reagor - real nice too... 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Smith brutal with John Ross lol On Ross watching Ruggs run the 40: "he might be watching him take his job if he keeps playing like this"  haha

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I just don't feel like anything changes come April. You know what the remaining needs are for the colts and where prospects were most likely land.   Strange. Draft calculate said it was equal value.    I mentioned Higgins can be a reach, but the draft is unpredictable. More teams go after Ts then IOL and there are a lot of good Ts in this draft. It's either Hurts or Gordon. I'm just not a fan of the other QBs and I feel we can still use his level of athletism instead of just having the QB ride the bench. Oline depth is a big need. We really don't have options if god forbid someone on the line gets hurt. Breeland is still a good option and we still have Doyle and Allie-Cox   Glad you enjoy my Mocks!
    • There is an Antonio Gates article in Yahoo Sports, says in considered signing with the Colts in 2019.  I know his age is up there, 39, will be 40 at the start of the season.  It mentioned that he has retired mindset but maybe Ballard and Rivers can sway him to give it one more year.  With the Rivers to Gates was one the best connections.  He could be a valuable 3rd receiver for the Colts and Rivers.  I think drafting a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round should be considered as well. 
    • This all reminds me of Jachai Polite last year, not being polite at all with his interviews, lol.
    • Didn’t we have this same conversation a year ago?   You put some artificial deadline on what will be your “last mock”.     Why?   You like doing them, so keep doing them.   As for this one, I’m afraid it’s my least favorite on a variety of levels.   Our pick 44 is worth 460 points.   The two picks we get back are worth just 390.   That’s way too big a gap.    Also, I don’t see the pucks as realistic or desirable.  Not sure Higgins falls to 34.   The next second puck is in the low 60’s.   Ruiz should be long gone by then. Hurts is one of my least favorite QBs.  Edwards is fine.   Then a second OL at R4 followed by a much needed TE too late in R5.      I hope you’ll keep doing more of these.  You enjoy doing them, so keep having fun!  That’s what this is all about!   
    • The one thing JB is has been a great teammate and a good citizen for sure. His QB’ing skills lag behind those assets though. I’m content with Rivers and Kelly, assuming that the team has a future purpose for Kelly. CB knows what Kelly can or can’t do in practices and stuff. He has stayed clean and had zero distractions. He definitely has the QB talent, can he lead a team with his new found choir boy status? Time will tell.    it would be tough to go from highly propped up starter with a raise and tons of praise into a back up spot. Except that money could help. I hope we move on from him, he is not our future.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...