Indianapolis Colts
stitches

Combine Testing and On-Field Drills Thread - Day 1 - WR/TE/QB

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol

Is it weird that NFL only flashed to them when Jordan Love had been throwing. 

also love that Ballard, who is not from Indiana but has professed his love for his adopted state, is rocking a Butler hat. 

• Like 1

Colts will most likely have to move up to get Love and if all it takes is a 3rd you do it and don't even think about it.

• Like 4

It’s going to be interesting to see who goes first between Love and Herbert. Herbert has more playing experience but other then that I think they are pretty even. Love does some things better which might give him the edge.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s going to be interesting to see who goes first between Love and Herbert. Herbert has more playing experience but other then that I think they are pretty even. Love does some things better which might give him the edge.

Hopefully Herbert

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Colts will most likely have to move up to get Love and if all it takes is a 3rd you do it and don't even think about it.

It’s going to take more then a third. I am ok giving up next years first with number 44 this year. Unless we only have to move up to 7 hat might not take much. We won’t be able to get everything we need this year .

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It all depends on Chargers honestly 

If he gets to 7 I have no doubt Love will be a Colt.

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

It all depends on Chargers honestly 

If he gets to 7 I have no doubt Love will be a Colt.

If we want to make sure we get him we have to get ahead of the chargers. Don’t forget there may be teams on the back end of the first wanting to trade  up also. Something about Herbert just seems like a robot. Miami might end up trading with the lions to ensure they get TUA. That leaves only the giants. It’s going to be almost impossible to get ahead of the chargers.

I would be surprised if Ballard pulled the trigger to move up for Love.  Only because it's going to be too pricy now after tonight.  Too many teams will be in the hunt and making offers.  IMO they should have taken the chance and moved up before the combine like the Jets did with the Colts.  Worse case you still get a top ten player.  Now I think it's more Ballard and Reich like that we sign Rivers and get him some more weapons.  Maybe we can try for Carr if the Raiders sign Brady.  Who knows.  I just can't see Ballard paying the price for a QB that has to sit a year and lose those high draft picks.  I think if he really wants him he's going to have to do it.  

I'm kind of surprised by how much everyone is swooning over Love. I'm not against him in any way and would definitely be open to taking him at 13. But on an open field with no defense or decision making required, I would hope he could hit guys in stride if he wants to be a 1st round pick. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would be surprised if Ballard pulled the trigger to move up for Love.  Only because it's going to be too pricy now after tonight.  Too many teams will be in the hunt and making offers.  IMO they should have taken the chance and moved up before the combine like the Jets did with the Colts.  Worse case you still get a top ten player.  Now I think it's more Ballard and Reich like that we sign Rivers and get him some more weapons.  Maybe we can try for Carr if the Raiders sign Brady.  Who knows.  I just can't see Ballard paying the price for a QB that has to sit a year and lose those high draft picks.  I think if he really wants him he's going to have to do it.  

You might lose a second this year and a first next year. That is worth a franchise QB. We have a solid foundation so that wouldn’t hurt. We aren’t going to get everything in this draft.  I don’t think we will be able to get ahead of the chargers though so it’s 50/50.

7 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Just remember...Jeff George.

Just remember...character 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Just remember...Jeff George.

George had one of the worst Wonderlic scores ever, and was turtle slow (4.99).

Scored 10 on the Wonderlic when the average for his position was 24... 

Doubt we'd take any QB with either of those metrics. 

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Chiefs traded a future 1st to trade to get Mahomes. Sometimes trading up is extremely risky but like mentioned above can be very worth it.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You might lose a second this year and a first next year. That is worth a franchise QB. We have a solid foundation so that wouldn’t hurt. We aren’t going to get everything in this draft.  I don’t think we will be able to get ahead of the chargers though so it’s 50/50.

I think the rest of the league knows we have had our sights on Love for quite some time.  The teams that draft before us are in the drivers seat now.  Love will be the big story tomorrow.  I think we are going to have to pay a big price to move up.  

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Oh brother.  It is so funny how every fan and so called scout speaks of a prospects stock rising by performing well in shorts at the combine.  How many times have I read executives that the medicals and interviews mean far more than  a 40 or a qb  throwing in shorts? For example if Love is graded a 2nd rounder, do u actually think him whipping balls at the combine in tights is going to elevate him into the top 20 or even top 10??? People need to slow down.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Please don’t make it happen!!

Please do make it happen!!  If not then give me one of the top wrs and a good Dt. As far as Gordon goes haven't  seen much on him tonight  how did he test?

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh brother.  It is so funny how every fan and so called scout speaks of a prospects stock rising by performing well in shorts at the combine.  How many times have I read executives that the medicals and interviews mean far more than  a 40 or a qb  throwing in shorts? For example if Love is graded a 2nd rounder, do u actually think him whipping balls at the combine in tights is going to elevate him into the top 20 or even top 10??? People need to slow down.  

Yep because  sometimes  teams reach for a position  of need  and when they do it works out or it doesn't 

He just threw it 5 feet over his receivers head on a simple out route. Haha. He loves the deep ball on every throw.

26 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

He just threw it 5 feet over his receivers head on a simple out route. Haha. He loves the deep ball on every throw.

He will most likely sit out 2020 and work on his mechanics and several other things and take over in 21.

I don't expect perfection either.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A couple things. First, you don't typically see substantial rise or fall with QBs based on combines drills. And when you do, it's typically a fall rather than a rise (because of unexpected bad drills or interviews). And I'd bet more QBs rise and fall due to the private interviews than drills.

While everyone is getting moist over the way Love looked tossing the ball, everyone making decisions (GMs/Coaches) already knew he could throw dimes and has all the physical attributes. What is in question is decision making and his ability to learn/execute/recall. Both of those are interview items, not really drill items. The drills today only confirmed what most already knew based on all the film. And even the interviews don't really disprove the non-physical concern of decision making.

Second, if you agree with the above, it becomes a question about how others did, as much as it is about how Love did. Burrow and Tua aren't doing drills, and even if they did, it's highly unlikely either drop farther than Love might rise.

The only QB really in striking distance (for Love to pass) is Herbert. The concerns about Herbert are less (reads, progressions), and are not things you're going to see in drills either. He has less decision flags than Love. So the question really is, did he do so bad in the drills, or whiff in the interviews, that he will drop. 

All the reports I've read have been pretty similar, and sync with what I saw... An that is the Herbert and Love were the best two QBs on the day. NFL.com actually tagged Herbert as the winner of the day. It's loser of the day was Fromm. Several other reviews were complimentary of Hurts, but he's no threat to Love/Herbert, and really in the third tier with Eason and Fromm. IMO, what was Eason then Fromm then Hurts, is now likely Hurts / Eason / Fromm. More about Fromm looking bad in drills, and Eason looking bad in interviews, than Hurts looking good though. 

So after Day 1, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Love in that order, which is the same as yesterday.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agree, like I said, easier to drop than it is to rise because of "drills".

His drills won't elevate him (everyone knew he can throw dimes).

His interviews might. 

Thanks for the updates, guys and gals...

Nice to see Love doing well, but IMO those drills are made for him to look good. He also tested well, which again is nice to have. I take that workout more as a nice box checked that was expected rather than some stock mover(don't count it twice - he's athletic and he throws a pretty ball, we knew those things already)... 

His interview with the team is still much more important than the drills.

• Like 2

I've wanted to make that comp for a while but for months I've been told Shenault is going to run in the 4.3-4.4s... and I was a coward for not stating my case. He never looked fast to me. He looked explosive and powerful but never fast... The comp that was floating in my head ever since I watched his tape was Nkeal Harry whom I've described the exact same way last year. Same manufactured production, tons of slot reps, tons of screens, good hands, good seeking the ball in contested catch situations, good after the catch, explosive off the line of scrimmage but I never saw the long speed, doesn't separate when put outside... I never saw the hype with him. Like... I like him as a day 2 player but mid R1? Hell NO!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've wanted to make that comp for a while but for months I've been told Shenault is going to run in the 4.3-4.4s... and I was a coward for not stating my case. He never looked fast to me. He looked explosive and powerful but never fast... The comp that was floating in my head ever since I watched his tape was Nkeal Harry whom I've described the exact same way last year. Same manufactured production, tons of slot reps, tons of screens, good hands, good seeking the ball in contested catch situations, good after the catch, explosive off the line of scrimmage but I never saw the long speed, doesn't separate when put outside... I never saw the hype with him. Like... I like him as a day 2 player but mid R1? Hell NO!

Most of the mocks I’ve seen for Shenault are roughly from 24-40 or so.

Im sure there have been some mocks with Shenault in the mid-first, but over time I think more and more show him toward the bottom of the first top of the second.   

Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Most of the mocks I’ve seen for Shenault are roughly from 24-40 or so.

Im sure there have been some mocks with Shenault in the mid-first, but over time I think more and more show him toward the bottom of the first top of the second.   

Hope this helps.  

I remember him getting picked to us in the mid first in some mocks. Recently saw several mocks of him going 12-15...PFF specifically has been having him pretty high - in the teens all year long and hyping him as a freak athlete...

For real though... I can't find anything on how any of the later round QBs like Gordon or McDonald threw. They did throw right? Lol

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I remember him getting picked to us in the mid first in some mocks. Recently saw several mocks of him going 12-15...PFF specifically has been having him pretty high - in the teens all year long and hyping him as a freak athlete...

Ugh.  Yuk.   Way too high.

I see Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson and others going before him.   Of course it only takes one team to blow things up.   As you know,  it doesn’t matter if 31 teams see things the same way if the one other team likes a player more than everyone else.   So...  who knows? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm watching a replay of some of what I missed last night. Peoples-Jones looks very good on the gauntlet. 

Victor is not fast, but he catches the ball very well too... 

Lamb looks awesome! Such a natural catcher of the ball. 

Mooney ran fast 40, but bobbles a lot of passes on the gauntlet. 

Reagor - real nice too... 

• Like 1

Steve Smith brutal with John Ross lol On Ross watching Ruggs run the 40: "he might be watching him take his job if he keeps playing like this"  haha

• Haha 1